• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

If Van Gaal did arrive as DoF or whatever, why on earth would Martinez agree to work under him? He'd already be under huge pressure to succeed from the fans and the owners and then to top it off he has to work under the madman Van Gaal. He would surely go insane before the end of the season.

On the flip side, having Van Gaal there would make me more confident about Martinez though.

rififi

Thanks for sharing, rififi. Are you from the basque region?

I'm originally from Madrid (but am half Spanish, half British), and I have spent a lot of time in the Basque area, especially San Sebastian (my grandfather was also a professional Jai Alai player). So, I am familiar and have a great fondness for the region. I currently live in the USA though.

And xbhaskarx, you have excellent taste.

elsk

Banned
I'm originally from Madrid (but am half Spanish, half British), and I have spent a lot of time in the Basque area, especially San Sebastian (my grandfather was also a professional Jai Alai player). So, I am familiar and have a great fondness for the region. I currently live in the USA though.

hah! your avatar was a huge clue then :p

Salazar

England's Gareth Barry fears he will miss Euro 2012 after picking up groin injury in Oslo

lHTTm.gif

CARRICK TO THE RESCUE. SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU CNUT HODGSON

elsk

Banned
You get a code to activate it via Steam. I don't have a Mac to know, when you download a game on Steam, does it just work if it has a Mac version?

Well, I had the Half Life 2 game on PC and I can download the mac version now, but it could be a exclusive thing to old games (pre- Steam Mac) or just for games by Valve, no?

I don't have even the 7.99$ to try anyway :p thanks for the heads up, tho.

Salazar

I thought Carrick retired from the national team?

He refused to be a backup to Gareth Barry and company. If he was picked to play—which is something his form deserves—he was up for it. Just not to be a bench option or a squad standby while Stevie G and Lamps trade on their names one last time, Parker gets a massive benefit of the doubt, Milner gets rewarded for something completely mysterious to any rational watcher of football, and so on.

Instead, we get Henderson, I guess.

He refused to be a backup to Gareth Barry and company. If he was picked to play—which is something his form deserves—he was up for it. Just not to be a bench option or a squad standby while Stevie G and Lamps trade on their names one last time, Parker gets a massive benefit of the doubt, Milner gets rewarded for something completely mysterious to any rational watcher of football, and so on.

Instead, we get Henderson, I guess.
Carrick is in the wrong here IMO.

I mean i'm 100% on his side. It's bordering on ludicrous that he can't get a start in England's midfield when you consider just how good a year he's had and just bad a year his contenders have had, but when it comes to squad selection, either you are in or you are out.

I get that he's frustrated and doesn't want to go away for the summer to sit on the bench, but in that case, retire. Maybe if a new manager comes in let him you know you'd like to be considered again.

Who knows, maybe if Carrick had made himself available and he was in the squad or in Henderson's position, he'd most likely play next week against Belgium and with doubts over Barry and Gerrard's fitness he could have got the chance he deserved initially and shown that he is of great value for England.

Anyway, I don't mind, it's better for United if he gets a summer of rest and one player in the mould of Carrick isn't going to change England's fortunes...I just think it's wrong to say "oh yeah I'm here...if you want to me play that is". Either he's in or out, make a choice and stick by it.

See your point.

If it's true that he was going to be in the stand-by position, then I can't fault him, though. It's as if Hodgson watched no football this season.
Yeah easier said than done. He's the one who has to go out there and waste him summer away from his family and be told to knock it long to Carroll in training sessions, which he can probably do better than anybody else anyway, and then have to sit and watch Parker try to do it...but I still think he should have gone and at the very least, had he got a few minutes, tried his best and shown Hodgson and everyone else what fools they are for not appreciating the most basic of footballing ideals...taking care of the ball. As I said, wouldn't have changed anything on his lonesome...but you never know.

It's done now. Hope he has a good summers rest and continues his brilliant form. Our most consistent player last season, was a real joy to watch him. Glad he had his mojo back, when playing well he's great.

rodvik

OK ManU GAF you have got to help the rest of us out here.

Carrick really hasnt impressed most neutrals as far as I can see. Barry has been the superior player this whole season even though both of them play in a non flashy position Barry has caught the eye occasionally and when you watch City play he is there, doing the hard work.

This really seems like a case of a player club fans love, but the rest of us just dont see whats so special. Add on top of that his apparent dick response to an England call up really doesnt endear him.

Help me understand United GAF. What am I missing? Why would Hodgson pick Carrick instead of say the slightly younger Britton as a back up?

Salazar

Carrick really hasnt impressed most neutrals as far as I can see.

Neutrals need their eyes checked. Carrick has been above average in a dysfunctional midfield. Barry was average to good in an above-average midfield.

Hodgson wants a long passing game to feed his combinations of Fucking Quick and Fucking Big up front. Seems daft not to pick the player with a remarkable passing game, who is (unlike some of your other selections) fully fit and coming off a highly consistent season of performances.

rodvik

Neutrals need their eyes checked. Carrick has been above average in a dysfunctional midfield. Barry was average to good in an above-average midfield.

Hodgson wants a long passing game to feed his combinations of Fucking Quick and Fucking Big up front. Seems daft not to pick the player with a remarkable passing game, who is (unlike some of your other selections) fully fit and coming off a highly consistent season of performances.

Well he is 30. Has never been a favourite by any England manager. As for long passes , well most of us have players on our team who we know can string together a great pass (at Villa we think Bannan & Gardener are fabulous passers, we might be kidding ourselves as well), but players like Britton are pretty universally regarded as being excellent passers I am sure the rest of PLGaf will chip in with players from their own teams.

I take your point he has been a highlight in Uniteds not so great midfield this year , I just dont think thats enough to be honest.

I guess what I am saying is unlike players like Rooney & Young, Carrick just seems to be a club fan player rather than everyone else.

http://samuraicinema.tumblr.com/

And I look forward to seeing whether or not the England manager for the next WC has the balls to drop Stevie and Frank.

For sure they will be gone. No way can any sane person expect them to be capable of playing in Brazil expect maybe from the bench.

OK ManU GAF you have got to help the rest of us out here.

Carrick really hasnt impressed most neutrals as far as I can see. Barry has been the superior player this whole season even though both of them play in a non flashy position Barry has caught the eye occasionally and when you watch City play he is there, doing the hard work.

This really seems like a case of a player club fans love, but the rest of us just dont see whats so special. Add on top of that his apparent dick response to an England call up really doesnt endear him.

Help me understand United GAF. What am I missing? Why would Hodgson pick Carrick instead of say the slightly younger Britton as a back up?
Firstly, it's worth noting that for the past 2 years, Carrick's biggest critics have been from within OT itself. There were notable groans and moans every time he dallied on the ball and shifted it sideways. You don't often hear dissent from the stands in OT, but I was at a fair few games where Carrick was really getting stick from fans. This season, it's been the total opposite. For many fans he was the alternative choice for player of the season, because Carrick isn't a flashy player who makes lunging tackles, surging runs or bangs them in from distance, he's under-stated...but everybody who has followed United will have noticed his impact on the side.

It's hard to really say why he's been so good...you just have to watch and see how important he was...and I'm not a massive fan of statistics in football, but here they seem useful.

- Carrick made an average of 73.1 passes per game this season, that was higher than any other English player in the league, and the 3rd highest of any player in the entire league. (Parker and Barry both in low 60's, in teams with much better midfields.)

- Carrick had a 90% pass completion accuracy this season (again better than Barry or Parker)

- Carrick was dispossessed far less than Parker or Barry, 4x less than Parker and 2x less than Barry.

- He averaged more tackles/interceptions per game than Gareth Barry, and only slightly less than Parker, when you consider Parker's hustle and bustle style that isn't surprising either.

- Also to debunk the he just passes sideways myth, Opta stats show 60% of his passes were forwards, with an average of 6.1 accurate long balls per game.

They're just stats at the end of the day and you can manipulate them, but he clearly a MUCH better passer than the two who play in his position and has shown he is defensively just as competent. That's before you even compare him to Gerrard or Henderson who have been nothing better than average, can't be bothered to dig their stats out but I am in no doubt he betters them in all the departments mentioned above too. So he passes it better than the others vying for his spot, loses the ball less, and tackles just as effectively...sounds pretty good for a DM...and then when you consider England's major problem for the last decade has been not being able to keep the ball...well...it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I don't really mind whether people rate him or not, he's been great for us and I'm happy with that...but I won't be surprised if by the end of next season if he keeps his form up people are noticing him once again. Often works like that in football, the people who watch players more often naturally notice trends earlier. United fans were ripping into him when he had his bad spell whilst others still considered him a good player. Similar has happened with Evra this season when people outside United have noticed he's been shit, when he was just as poor last season, if not worse actually.

He really has had a great season. Saw another stat that in something like 50% of the games he played this season he attempted and completed more passes than any other player on the pitch...can't remember where I saw it now, will try and track it down later. That's seriously impressive.

Choc

Banned
there is a dutch football jumper on my neighbours clothesline

i now like my neighbour :D Obviously getting ready for Euros

Sloosha

Nice write up Viva. Just realized I've watched very little United this season - Probably change next season when they sign Kagawa and Hazard.

dc89

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WLRO4M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Football Manager 2012 is on sale for $7.49 at Amazon! Amazing deal.

edit: the mac version is not on sale :( fuck this.

You get a code to activate it via Steam. I don't have a Mac to know, when you download a game on Steam, does it just work if it has a Mac version?

Well, I had the Half Life 2 game on PC and I can download the mac version now, but it could be a exclusive thing to old games (pre- Steam Mac) or just for games by Valve, no?

I don't have even the 7.99$ to try anyway :p thanks for the heads up, tho.

I picked it up off amazon.com last time it was on sale and I have a Mac. It just worked lol.

Empty

I just started Season 2 of Veronica Mars.

What the fuck. Bus over cliff ? 90% of episode in soft focus ?

just watch the first series again forever

the second season has some decent mystery of the week episodes along with more keith and veronica goodness, but the bus over cliff stuff is trash.

Arnie

If Carrick feels he's better than the standby squad then fuck him. As much as I rate him, and I'd have probably taken him over Barry, it's not like the decision was an obvious one. It's not like how England treated Scholes, Carrick's nowhere near that level. People make the cut, people don't. I'd have taken Richards over Jones as well. It's not as cut and dry as some of you are making out, it's opinion, and Hodgson has a greater understanding of the person behind the player as well.

If anyone's bemoaning Henderson potentially going to the Euros, and I don't blame you, direct your scorn at Carrick for feeling entitled to an automatic England place in our most competitive position.

EDIT: And I see the post above me demonstrates a complete lack of rational thought.

Salazar

If anyone's bemoaning Henderson potentially going to the Euros, and I don't blame you, direct your scorn at Carrick for feeling entitled to an automatic England place in our most competitive position.

I'm made up for Henderson. He seems like a good bloke and it's a hell of an opportunity. I don't think Carrick wanted an automatic place. Not in the same way that JT throws his toys around when he doesn't have an armband. He was just exasperated at being on the periphery while certain players get a chance no matter what. And those players are again getting their chance after seasons of no real distinction.

WJD

To be fair to him, Henderson looked pretty decent when he came on yesterday. But my housemate and I were talking about how ridiculously English he looks when he receives and passes the ball. Very straight angles and a kind of pendulum-esque movement when he passes.

AOC was a stark contrast to that when he came on - very continental, low to the ground and all his movements were much easier on the eye. We need more players like that in the set up; at least in the future. The Cleverley's, Wilshere's and Oxlade-Chamberlain's of this world really need to start being a preference to the Parker's, Carroll's and Walcott's.

Wilbur

Banned
Carrick's been magnificent this season, and it's not just me; was having a chat in the pub last week with my mates who support a myriad of other teams and we were waxing lyrical about Ramires, praising the fuck out of Lucas before he was injured, and it came round to Valencia winning the PotY from us and one of my Liverpool supporting mates said 'Carrick should have won that, he's the only good player in your fucking midfield.' We were talking about the fact that if you're going to have Parker as a runner, picking Barry who is half Parker/half Carrick in style but not as good as either of them at what they do, seems futile when Carrick can be picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom