• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Please score a few more and hopefully we'll get Levein sacked.

I've got a feeling he's going to get away with this with the "lol we have 11 players out" excuse. :(

I thought it was great to see Puyol tying and waving the Catalan and Basque flags together after the Copa final. But this makes it even better. Such a nice story <3 Puyol.

timthumb.php

147-480x195.jpg

044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif
This is amazing. Puyol is just amazing. What a captain.

xbhaskarx

That would have been Donovan's 50 career int'l goal if he had not hit the post earlier...

How many assists does he have with the national team? I'm pretty sure it's over 45. He could be at 50+ goals 50+ assists by the end of this five game stretch...

Edit: and there's another assist from Donovan

Anyone watching UFC 146 tonight? All HW's on the main card. Could lead to some early finishes.... Love JDS and Mir both, JDS has a great story but I like Mir breaking limbs...
Yep. Feel the same about both.

I've got a Nando's on JDS winning though, so WARCIGANO!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The US should have eight goals right now
(five plus Donovan and Torres off the goalpost and Cameron's own goal)
The worst Scotland defeat of all time was a 7-0 defeat to Uruguay in 1954. Chance at making history lost!

Well, there's still 15 minutes left.

elsk

Banned
I thought it was great to see Puyol tying and waving the Catalan and Basque flags together after the Copa final. But this makes it even better. Such a nice story <3 Puyol.

Also: both catalans and basque people want to be independent from Spain. A lot of their people actually hate Spain.

Also: both catalans and basque people want to be independent from Spain. A lot of their people actually hate Spain.
This is no longer the case though. Particularly for the Basque population. Did a module this semester about this and ETA. The anti-"Spanish" sentiment is very tempered these days. Most people are happy to identify themselves as Spanish.

I've always wondered how the Barcelona players feel in representing Spain. They seem very happy and proud to do so...think it reflects their feelings about being happily Spanish in this day and age.

elsk

Banned
^Who is the assistant coach in USA NT? (because he's the actual coach)

I've always wondered how the Barcelona players feel in representing Spain. They seem very happy and proud to do so...think it reflects their feelings about being happily Spanish in this day and age.

Well, they're professionals. But I'm pretty sure they feel catalans more than anything else... I doubt the issue has gone away that easily, their former president (of Barcelona FC) is part of a politician movement actually so yeah, it's a big topic for them.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
This is no longer the case though. Particularly for the Basque population. Did a module this semester about this and ETA. The anti-"Spanish" sentiment is very tempered these days. Most people are happy to identify themselves as Spanish.

I remember Xavi saying this in a pre-match conference when he played us:

"..Barcelona are more than a football club. Our clubs are a symbol of a culture and community that has not always been made welcome in their respective countries."

I hope Roy has more of a plan for the England side than what he showed earlier. Norway were the better side for the second half and I don't think he understood why.

More importantly though the Max Payne 3 fund was filled tonight thanks to Ashley Young and also Carl Froch.

sandroyeahfgmik.gif

Very happy indeed

rififi

It's a bit more complicated than that as there is disagreement within the nationalist groups of both the Basque region and Catalonia between full independence from Spain and seeking greater autonomy within a unified Spain. The majority of people in these regions general survey to prefer to exist within a unified Spain (either as an autonomous region or through a confederation). Additionally, the identified Basque and Catalan culture/people extend into France as well, not just Spain (and even disputed into other Spanish autonomies as well). The only real reason why it is more of an issue in Spain than in France is because of the history with Franco.
It is true though, that many (not all, and not the majority either) identify themselves only as Basque or Catalan. A much greater percentage will identify themselves as Basque or Catalan first and Spanish second, but still identify with both nationalities.

Something that complicates the separatist movement further, especially in Catalonia, is the growth of immigrant and non-Catalan residents who make up a small, but significant percentage of voters from the region.
The major reason why separatism is starting to gain some popularity again is due to the political and economic situation of Spain which is of course represented by the corrupt and inept parliament in Madrid (but in reality is an issue everywhere in Spain).

About Catalan players' sentiments towards playing for Spain, the only issue I can remember is Oleguer who said he would refuse any call to play for Spain (of course he wasn't a good enough player, so he was never called up anyways).
However, all Catalan and Basque players are allowed to carry and wear the Catalan and Basque flags when playing for Spain (and they rarely, if ever, carry the flag of Spain when celebrating). Even Sergio Ramos wears the Andalucian flag.
Catalonia and the Basque region are ambiguously defined as "nations" within Spain, so the sentiments (as it would appear) of these players is that they are representing and playing as Catalan and Basque people within a unified Spanish team, rather than playing as "Spaniards".

elsk

Banned
Liverpool are ready to push through a deal for Louis van Gaal.

The Sunday Mirror says Liverpool are on the brink of going Dutch with Van Gaal joining them as their new Director of ­Football and bringing a posse of Dutch coaches and fitness experts with him.

He is set to bring with him coach Andries Jonker, ­goal-keeping coach Frans Hoek and physio Ruud van Dyke.

All were part of the ­backroom team he put together at Bayern Munich.

I CALLED IT :D

If you get LvG as sporting director... maybe he'll hire Jonker as coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom