• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

I don't understand how "cunt" can be considered extremely sexist. Is calling someone a "cock" or a "dick" considered extremely sexist? What about "tit"?

I can't describe it but in the US calling a woman a c**t is THE worst possible thing in the dictionary to call them.

I can't describe it but in the US calling a woman a c**t is THE worst possible thing in the dictionary to call them.
Nobody would ever call a woman that though. I don't think I've ever heard somebody say that to a girl.

Though it stands to reason I've heard girls call guys "dick"...y we no offended?

Anyway, it's not that big a deal, if it's not allowed it's not allowed. I guess there may be female users who are offended by it but really as ever it's intent that matters and I can't imagine anybody ever calling a girl that.

I don't even use it myself so no problem for me. Wilbury will be perma'd soon though.

Slizz

Nobody would ever call a woman that though. I don't think I've ever heard somebody say that to a girl.

Though it stands to reason I've heard girls call guys "dick"...y we no offended?

Anyway, it's not that big a deal, if it's not allowed it's not allowed. I guess there may be female users who are offended by it but really as ever it's intent that matters and I can't imagine anybody ever calling a girl that.

I don't even use it myself so no problem for me. Wilbury will be perma'd soon though.

It's hard to insult a man unless you attack sexuality or race. I was just trying to think of some words that would offend me that aren't racist or anything and can't think of one lol.

Pretty ridiculous in my opinion, and seriously hypocritical considering Kyle has the tag cock-nose! I doubt the mod who gave him that got banned.

xintin

I don't understand how "cunt" can be considered extremely sexist. Is calling someone a "cock" or a "dick" considered extremely sexist? What about "tit"?
It is kind of weird, I guess, but it just doesnt fly here. I do know that the few times I have heard a woman called it though, I turned and looked in anticipation of fists.

It's hard to insult a man unless you attack sexuality or race. I was just trying to think of some words that would offend me that aren't racist or anything and can't think of one lol.
Yeah true. Anyway, as I said not a problem for me and as Kyoufu points out...better for everybody's tongue.

Arnie

It is kind of weird, I guess, but it just doesnt fly here. I do know that the few times I have heard a woman called it though, I turned and looked in anticipation of fists.

When it's directed at a woman I can understand that, when it's a passive term used in the loosest possible sense, I'm baffled as to how someone could draw serious offence.

If someone in real life said to me, "Arnie, you are a cock", I'd have a vastly different reaction to if I heard someone being referred to as a cock on a forum.

Getting rid of the c word is fine by me. Its use is just unnecessary and it's not like we're at a loss for perfectly acceptable alternatives. You all are a creative lot, you'll find new ways to insult your least favorite players/teams.

I do feel that it is unfair to single in on c*** when words like dick and cock are used pervasively and get no attention. Sure, you could argue that women would be more offended by "cunt" then a man would be by "cock", but if you de-contextualize the usage of the c word, and say that it shouldn't be used in any situation because it is a sexual slur, you should do the same for male-related slurs of a sexual nature.

Overall, I'm not bothered.

So...could we call people pussys? Does that have the same gravitas in America as 'cunt'? Seems like they could both be construed as misogynistic to me.

Because that is obviously how we decide how acceptable a word is.

So...could we call people pussys? Does that have the same gravitas in America as 'cunt'?

Because that is obviously how we decide how acceptable a word is.

Pussy is used here a lot more pervasively than cunt. Never heard someone call a woman that though, so I imagine that they would find it just as offensive.

Kyoufu

I'm going to bed. You guys are caring way too much about a silly word that shouldn't even be used ever.

Except when you're referring to John Terry heheh

I'm going to bed. You guys are caring way too much about a silly word that shouldn't even be used ever.

IT'S THE PRINCIPLE MAN!

I'm going to bed too. I love the word, it's one of my favourites

rififi

Is that cunt in Spanish? Is Spain one of the countries where 'cunt' is deemed highly misogynistic? If not it's a good way around it without offending anyone.

You can get away with pretty much anything in Spain; there are some very vulgar expressions when translated into English. For example, in Spain "de puta madre" is actually slang for saying something is amazing, despite it's literal translation.

"Cono" (Spanish) and "Con" (French) are commonly used to refer to idiots. In French there are a few different variations of the word that have different levels of vulgarity though.

Lightning

Banned
The use of such words has a sense of immaturity about it anyway and lacks sense. I have no problem with such things being bannable as when it is said what is the actual point of using the word? In all situations there are more appropiate words to use to describle the situation.

Tiddlywink.

That's it, I've solved the problem. Instead of c*** or b****, you can say tiddlywink.

See, I'll try it out. "JOHN TERRY, YOU'RE SUCH A TIDDLYWINK!"

Slizz

Me too man I'm out for the night, it's been interesting.

ioPjUXNwSyEGw.gif

The movie is Jennifer's Body, actresses are Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried

The problem is I will no doubt write it not thinking about it being banned when something special happens, like Terry kneeing Sanchez in the back, Busquets doing peek a boo or Suarez doing... Anything. The mods might want to check out the giantbomb threads too, probably the only place on GAF that loves cunt as much as we do, they even approved Vinny Caravellas account earlier this year.

elsk

Banned
Coño is a common expression in various spanish-speaking countries, is the equivalent of 'fuck' for countries like Cuba.

Cunt sounds way better, tho.

I don't know if it's an NI thing, or just a people I know thing. But calling each other cunts, cocks, wankers etc there's an endless list, is just the done thing. I don't know how, but I've heard people refer to their family as cunts in the most endearing way.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm a native spanish speaker and I don't know what word I'd use to translate cunt. Seems an english exclusive word, same as hater.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The direct translation would be coño I believe. In Portuguese it would be cona, French conne/con, etc.

Yeah but I never call anyone coño, it's more like when I say "Shit! I'm so mad"

I have never heard anyone call another person coño either. if that's the direct translation then lulz.

hot, but I like Noami Watts lesbian scene more at least that one showed titties.

I'm a native spanish speaker and I don't know what word I'd use to translate cunt. Seems an english exclusive word, same as hater.

When refering to the vagina, just "coño". When insulting a person, I would translate it to "capullo". At least in Spanish from Spain.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I don't know if it's an NI thing, or just a people I know thing. But calling each other cunts, cocks, wankers etc there's an endless list, is just the done thing. I don't know how, but I've heard people refer to their family as cunts in the most endearing way.
Same in Scotland. Reminded me of this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znYJXIw2UKw

BBC maybe need to listen a bit more closely to what Scottish people are saying when they interview them. :lol

Fry

Ballad of Gay Tony really brings the ultimate fun to GTA. It has tank, parachute, a new helicopter, etc. I just like putting lots of cheats in the game, raise my wanted level and kill everyone in my way. :D

elsk

Banned
Halo is my most hated game, it's so boring and 'plain'. GTA is another series I can't enjoy at all... loved RDR.

Arnie

Halo is my most hated game, it's so boring and 'plain'. GTA is another series I can't enjoy at all... loved RDR.

Halo is the most exciting console FPS there is. It's actually got AI, it actually has gunplay that rewards skill and it's actually got an art style that isn't dull wartorn streets.

Fry

I only played Halo: Combat Envolved (on PC) and Halo: Reach. I barely got to the half of both games main campaign. I couldn't leave the multiplayer. It's really one of the best.

elsk

Banned
I'm just talking about the main campaign. Don't know about the multiplayer.

The game is so soul-less... boring, plain, etc. I don't really get how people like that kind of games :/

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yeah, I really dislike Halo's campaigns too. The levels in Halo CE honestly feel randomly generated.

But it might actually be my favourite MP FPS of all time. Halo 2! CTF on Zanzibar, snipers on Lockout, Warthog/Ghost/Banshee battles on Coagulation. <3

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm just talking about the main campaign. Don't know about the multiplayer.

The game is so soul-less... boring, plain, etc. I don't really get how people like that kind of games :/
FPSes are boring, dawg. But on-rails shooters are one of the best genres ever.

Fry

FPS's have been overdone in this gen. Fuck all that CoD shit. When they showed the new one as the last piece of exclusive news in Microsoft's conference (E3), I was laughing in disbelief.

Though there are a few gens that have been released a few years ago: Bioshock, CoD4. But in general, TPS are much better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was hating on FPSes since the days of Doom.[/hispter]
Last FPS I enjoyed was the TimeSplitters (series). It's a very shitty genre thanks to games like Halo, the only real focus is MP.
What's your favourite genre elsk? Also I like taking long walks by the seashore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom