• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Looks like the Telegraph caught onto the Wayne Carroll story.

rooney-hair_2253849b.jpg

Lightning

Banned
Unusual for Wenger to come out with the Giroud is 90% done statement. Must be pretty confident we will land this one.

I hope this guy isn't another Bendtner or Chamkah...

Wilbur

Banned
Fabio Borino catching pace now. Ben Smith from the BBC, Dunkan Jenkins, the Mail and the Mirror all saying we're discussing a fee, but a formal bid has yet to be made. Just turned 21, scored 10 in 26 coming off the bench in Serie A last season.

I asked for a reference from Serie A GAF a couple weeks back, so I won't bother again, but he's an exciting signing in my mind.

^Wilbury is the expert on him here, I'd love to hear his thoughts.

He's with the Azzurri now btw!

Yeah he's very exciting. Good with both feet, in the air, reads the game well, can play poacher or a balanced front two. He did well playing in a pretty similar system (albeit with disgraceful defending) at Roma, so I assume being coupled with Rodgers again would pay dividends. The only problem is him getting game time ahead of Suarez/Carroll and for that - as well as obviously Liverpool being the creation of Satan and possibly the worst club in the world, I hate them I hate them etc etc etc - I don't know if it's just a matter of arranging a fee. If he wants to be in the Italian squad he might think staying with a high profile Italian team would be better. If the reports say personal terms agreed then ignore that, but in a few years if utilised right he could be a 15-20 goal striker. Well rounded player.

I'm re-watching the Heat game already... Oh yes. Feels awesome. Went and celebrated with everyone.

Is there a place where I can watch it? I tried to stay up last night to watch it but my body wouldn't let me. I fell asleep about 15 minutes before it started.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
3 SPL clubs have now declared their intention for the vote to bring Rangers 2012 into the SPL. Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen - all 3 will vote 'no'. Rangers need less than 5 clubs to vote 'no' to win the vote.

The Hearts owner Vladmir 'Mad Vlad' Romanov's statement was pretty incredible. :lol

“The opinion of Heart of Midlothian FC in regards to the current situation of Scottish football is clear and robust.

“The football mafia represented by former owners of Rangers FC and Rupert Murdoch’s media are to blame for some of the worst problems to hit Scottish football and must not be allowed back in under any circumstances.

“As regards the club itself, we can only express our deepest condolences to its supporters, who have been lied to for so many years.

“It had to happen sooner or later. Victories were achieved not by sporting merits, but through slander, conspiracies amongst players and their poaching via third parties, unfair pressuring of referees, who in themselves are as valuable to the fabric of football as the football stars themselves.

“All of this brought hollow victories and destroyed football. We can also mention the attempts to eliminate Hearts with the help of the tax petitions, through false accusations and threats to revoke the club license. There is a saying about digging a grave for someone: you get it for yourself …

“Without these people football will become cleaner and stronger. Without Murdoch the whole of society will improve, in particular sport and culture.

“Supporters deserve a new beginning and have to accept the fact that their club has to start from the lower league, keeping order in the SPL and without creating unfair competition with other clubs.

“As regards the pitiful state of Scottish football finances, a lot of the blame should be placed at the doors of Murdoch’s media. They pay huge sums to English clubs, whilst in Scotland, where football is better supported per capita than anywhere else in Europe and there are more cable or Sky subscribers per capita than in England, clubs receive peanuts for their broadcasting rights.

“At the very least this is discrimination and protectionism for the English football product, which at the same time stunts the development of the game in Scotland, that is regarded as the cradle of football.

“I feel that it is absolutely realistic to create a company that would bring to Scottish clubs at least the same broadcasting income, and even grow it by 50-100% over the next two to three years. This company should be in the hands of Scottish clubs and work with those who want to earn money the honest way, instead of conducting business the Murdoch way.

“They have lived beyond law and all morals, and should now be declared beyond the pale. A society that allows the destruction of integrity in sport, which is a crucial part of Scottish culture, is destroying itself - and all for the benefit of a media aborigine.”

GorillaJu

Did Heat win the world series? Is that why people are going mad?

icn_suarezmhk03.gif

Wilbz thanks for the rundown on Borini. I watched an 11 minute video of him in the Chelsea reserves and he looked well talented. The Roma Youtube video I watched didn't really display too much of his skill, or so it looked, possibly because he came on a lot as a sub and didn't have as many chances to make bursting runs like he did at Chelsea - or it could just be the difference between Rodgers' guidance at Chelsea reserves vs. Luis Enrique at Roma.

For playing time, I think Rodgers may want to use him as a wing forward in a 4-3-3, which would have him replacing Downing's spot (thank god), and not Carroll's. Could be completely wrong, but if Rodgers wants to stick with his favored formation, it would look like this, when not in possession:

Carroll
Borini Suarez

Gylfi Stevie
Lucas

Enrique Agger Skrtel Johson

and when attacking:

Borini Carroll Suarez

Enrique Gylfi Stevie Johnson

Agger Lucas Skrtel

Though I do wonder if he'll also get time up front alone. Really unsure how Rodgers plans to re-work the team. I think he'll also be using Downing (don't expect him to have another shocker of a season myself) and perhaps the rumored Gaston Ramirez out wide as well. We shall see.

Fucking season is too far away. :(

The Hearts owner Vladmir 'Mad Vlad' Romanov's statement was pretty incredible. :lol

Scathing read, that.

Wilbur

Banned
3 SPL clubs have now declared their intention for the vote to bring Rangers 2012 into the SPL. Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen - all 3 will vote 'no'. Rangers need less than 5 clubs to vote 'no' to win the vote.

Holy shit haha, that's a hell of a statement. It's a shame to see Rangers go down like this, I wouldn't wish it on any club

Odd Morsel, that could work. He's definitely capable of cutting inside from the left but Enrique would have to do a lot of the wing work, much like Johnson when Suarez would be cutting in. But if Lucas is there as a protective shield it's mind boggling how much better you look as a team.

Wilbur

Banned
Lol, which one, Arshavin or the owner?

Looks like I need a new avatar too. Maybe Denisov, as I was least disgusted by his Euro performance.

Oh god, Arshavin. Just keep your fucking mouth shut for a few weeks instead of blowing your top immediately.

Dzagoev looked good in the first two games, but I missed the Russia - Greece one. Also his name is Alan and it makes me laugh.

Sloosha

icn_suarezmhk03.gif

Wilbz thanks for the rundown on Borini. I watched an 11 minute video of him in the Chelsea reserves and he looked well talented. The Roma Youtube video I watched didn't really display too much of his skill, or so it looked, possibly because he came on a lot as a sub and didn't have as many chances to make bursting runs like he did at Chelsea - or it could just be the difference between Rodgers' guidance at Chelsea reserves vs. Luis Enrique at Roma.

I remember watching those reserve videos of him a couple of years ago and looking forward to seeing more of him in the first team. :(

There's one absolutely ridiculous header he scores in one of those clips.

Oh god, Arshavin. Just keep your fucking mouth shut for a few weeks instead of blowing your top immediately.

Dzagoev looked good in the first two games, but I missed the Russia - Greece one. Also his name is Alan and it makes me laugh.

Yeah, Dzagoev looked good at Euros but could he do it on a cold, wet night at S̶t̶o̶k̶e̶ Kazan?

Oh and I'd love it if someone photoshop savvy could do a cutout Denisov's head in this pic for an avatar for me.

Ibra has recently bought an island in the Malaren Lake near Stockholm, and he'll use it to go hunting. He paid 2.5m euros, and it's approximately 1200 acres.

Meanwhile, Galliani confirmed yesterday that we'll go after another midfielder, which could be either Diarra or Sahin, according to italian newspapers. Also, we'll keep Didac Vilà, LB, which was on loan last year at Espanyol.

GorillaJu

Being Dutch I know how you feel mate. Euros has deflated my hype on RVP.... Really let our country down with those misses against Denmark....

icn_rvp45kvq.gif
icn_rvp45kvq.gif
icn_rvp45kvq.gif

Or maybe it was a secret meeting between Suarez and Kompany, trying to lure him to City.

You heard it here first folks. :p

Lebron owns a small stake in Liverpool FC. He might be hooking up Suarez or other LFC players with tickets.

I remember watching those reserve videos of him a couple of years ago and looking forward to seeing more of him in the first team. :(

There's one absolutely ridiculous header he scores in one of those clips.

Would be hard not to get excited by how he played in the Chelsea reserves. Looks extremely talented. Hopefully Rodgers can bring that out of him at the top level - of course, assuming any of this comes off. He's not our player and if Roma buys out their half of his ownership, they may want to keep him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ibra has recently bought an island in the Malaren Lake near Stockholm, and he'll use it to go hunting. He paid 2.5m euros, and it's approximately 1200 acres.

Meanwhile, Galliani confirmed yesterday that we'll go after another midfielder, which could be either Diarra or Sahin, according to italian newspapers. Also, we'll keep Didac Vilà, LB, which was on loan last year at Espanyol.

Flamini has reportedly told Milan that he is willing to stay at the club :/

Flamini has reportedly told Milan that he is willing to stay at the club :/

He had a month to accept or refuse the new contract, he didn't say anything and Galliani got bored pretty quickly. Imo, he can leave right now, he almost never played last season and still earned 5 million euros. If he wants to stay, then he just have to accept that he won't earn that much anymore and get over it. If he doesn't like that, then we will replace him with Strasser.

PaulLFC

Oxlade-Chamberlain already getting used in player comparisons:

Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror is also linking Liverpool with a move for Borini, who worked with Brendan Rodgers at Chelsea and Swansea.

The red top describes the 21-yerar-old as the 'Italian Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain' - and apparently he is not the only new face who'll soon be arriving at Anfield.

GorillaJu

Oxlade-Chamberlain already getting used in player comparisons:

Well to be fair, I think the comparison is that he is young played a similar amount of games, in a similar role (late impact sub). No idea why they're being compared elsewhere. Chamberlain is runs in bullet time, Borini is an out-and-out goalscorer.

England+Training+and+Press+Conference

this picture looks way too serious. Lol at the owl. Looks like he's had his face copy/pasted on someone else!

icn_waynecarroll9wg0d.gif

Phil Jones(?) has the most unfortunate face. Which is weird because it's not like he's a below average looking guy. It's just is face is always stitching him up.

GorillaJu

Phil Jones(?) has the most unfortunate face. Which is weird because it's not like he's a below average looking guy. It's just is face is always stitching him up.

I'm sorry but he is distinctly low average. He has a good athletic physique, but only under the most forgiving standards could Phil Jones(?) be above average.

bjaelke

A Danish paper went all out on transfer rumors this morning.

Bendtner and Kjær to Malaga.
Krohn-Dehli (and Kahlenberg?) to Swansea.
Jacobs to Copenhagen - just been confirmed. Quite a scoop to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom