• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
ribery is selfish? he had the most assissts in two consecutive years.
or do you mean something else.

Notice how he's said a Newcastle player and a Newcastle target, who were just as good as the other players in the first two games and as shit as all the others against Sweden

Kyoufu

ribery is selfish? he had the most assissts in two consecutive years.
or do you mean something else.

Selfish isn't the right word for Ribery, just that he's the one man show you don't want on your team. He has talent yes and at times can be brilliant, but Bayern and France won't really get anywhere with players like him. I don't think Ben Arfa is a good fit either (unless he matures).

Notice how he's said a Newcastle player and a Newcastle target, who were just as good as the other players in the first two games and as shit as all the others against Sweden

We're not signing Debuchy from the looks of it, but there's no denying he has been excellent (except for the Sweden game).

Arnie

Laughing my bean off at the highlights of England's latest training session. It's a drill on composure with the ball, and one of the coaches is literally screeching "RELAX ON THE BALLLL!!!" in some think cockney accent.

Laughing my bean off at the highlights of England's latest training session. It's a drill on composure with the ball, and one of the coaches is literally screeching "RELAX ON THE BALLLL!!!" in some think cockney accent.

Ray Clemence, who is a goalkeeper coach I believe :lol

WJD

link plz

Clegg

Value signings baby!!

This story is a load of rubbish

Manchester United could get two Real Madrid midfielders on a free transfer ?

Yesterday we brought you the out-of-nowhere rumour that Manchester United were interested in Real Madrid's Fernando Gago. Fichajes said that Manchester United have an interest to strengthen the spine of their side, and Gago is one of the players being targeted, although they say no contact has been made with the Spanish club or Argentine player yet.

Gago made a big money move to Real Madrid from Boca Juniors in 2007, his first two seasons saw him make 69 appearances for the club but injury began to hamper him, which he's over now, and since Jose Mourinho turned up he hasn't got a look-in.

We dismissed it then as rumours but today there's a more interesting aspect to it in the Spanish press. Real Madrid mouthpiece Marca says that the La Liga champions could be forced to let four players leave the club for absolutely nothing. The footballers named are Gago, Lass Diarra, Altintop and Ricardo Carvalho and the reason given for free transfers is that all are on big wages and the club wants to get them off the bill, if that means letting them go for nothing then so be it.

Diarra was linked with a move to Manchester United last summer, not for the first time, but wasn't keen on moving. His agent was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying "Contrary to what is being said, Lass does not want to leave Real Madrid.

"He has two years left on his contract and is feeling well in Madrid.

"I have not opened negotiations with any club in either England or Italy, but if there is a great offer then we'll study it."

And that last sentence could be the crux of the matter. All the players are on large contracts and finding a club willing to pay both a transfer fee and continue to give them such a high salary is proving a difficult job.

Both the contracts of Diarra, 27, and Gago, 27, end next summer, when Real Madrid would see them leave for nothing anyway. The thought process is that if they're not going to be needed in the squad next season then the club may as well let them go for free this summer and save a fortune on wages, Marca says Real Madrid are trying to exhaust every possibility but it keeps coming back to clubs not being able, or willing, to match both a transfer fee and the player's salary expectations.
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...drid-midfielders-on-a-free?xg_source=activity

Arnie

Roma's window for signing Borini has expired. Liverpool, Milan, and PSG all making bids. (Gazzetta Dello Sport)

In other words, we're fucked.

elsk

Banned
Selfish isn't the right word for Ribery, just that he's the one man show you don't want on your team. He has talent yes and at times can be brilliant, but Bayern and France won't really get anywhere with players like him. I don't think Ben Arfa is a good fit either (unless he matures).

You don't really have a clue. Ribéry is far away from being an individualist player, he's one of the top player that doesn't give the feeling of being a one man show at all. He's all about supporting the rest of players, unlike Robben or Cristiano Ronaldo.

Arnie

Don't underestimate B-Rod.
I think it'll be a tough sell, especially because Ancelotti also has a previous relationship with the player; promoting him to the first team to train, etc.

And the whole Champions League allure. And the money situation.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't underestimate B-Rod.

If this is being used I'll systematically kill off Liverpool fans one by one until its usage ceases.

Anyway regarding Gago/Diarra, would rather have Diarra but still don't think either of them are first team choices. They're pretty good but not what we need really.

Yen

I think it'll be a tough sell, especially because Ancelotti also has a previous relationship with the player; promoting him to the first team to train, etc.

And the whole Champions League allure. And the money situation.

Paris is totes amazeballs too.

cocknose said:
If this is being used I'll systematically kill off Liverpool fans one by one until its usage ceases.

shup

Anyway regarding Gago/Diarra, would rather have Diarra but still don't think either of them are first team choices. They're pretty good but not what we need really.

Start using A-Ferg, T-Clev, S-Kag, P-Jo, etc... they'll get the idea!

dc89

Kagawa leaving after (hopefully) passing his medical

Av_y6ekCQAAVoXo.jpg

Still can't carry his umbrella - not a good sign. Probably got arthritis or something. United players are spoilt.

Wilbur

Banned
Nice touch from the big man.

Happy to see them looking like they are relaxed. Imho they have already achieved more than expected, its all upside from here.

Agreed. If we go out now then I'm happy with that. Roy's been a success so far, even topping the group was more than I expected. I expected a loss against France and a draw against Sweden.

It's the best I've seen Gerrard play for England for ages, Carroll and Welbeck have looked good, the defence are looking solid... I'm happy so far.

rodvik

Agreed. If we go out now then I'm happy with that. Roy's been a success so far, even topping the group was more than I expected. I expected a loss against France and a draw against Sweden.

It's the best I've seen Gerrard play for England for ages, Carroll and Welbeck have looked good, the defence are looking solid... I'm happy so far.

Yup. I just hope if we go out then we go out with some style. I would also like to see us work on our posession. It is a real mystery to me why English players more than capable of posesion at their clubs just cannot do it with the England squad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How is Bale still at Tottenham? No manager, no CL qualification. He's leaving surely? Yet he's excited to face us in the season's opening game. :/

lol

Bale isn't going anywhere. He's young and smart enough to know another year developing at Spurs is what he needs, and the chairman wouldn't dare sell him and Modric in the same summer, if he sells either of them.

If I were you, I'd be worrying more about most of the Newcastle first XI.

Arnie

Start using A-Ferg, T-Clev, S-Kag, P-Jo, etc... they'll get the idea!

T-Clev sounds like a verruca cream.

It's alright, I'll just use King Brenny instead.

lol

Bale isn't going anywhere. He's young and smart enough to know another year developing at Spurs is what he needs, and the chairman wouldn't dare sell him and Modric in the same summer, if he sells either of them.

If I were you, I'd be worrying more about most of the Newcastle first XI.
You should sell Bale then; Modric is the more important player in my opinion.

If you do sell Modric then replacement is absolutely vital. No matter how strong you think your squad is, and it is, when you lose a player who's so vital to how you set up your attacks and function as a team then things can go tits up. Just see Alonso. We still had the likes of Mascherano, Torres and Gerrard, but we weren't the same team and we fell apart. You beat us on that opening day of the season if I remember correctly.

Wilbur

Banned
Yup. I just hope if we go out then we go out with some style. I would also like to see us work on our posession. It is a real mystery to me why English players more than capable of posesion at their clubs just cannot do it with the England squad.

Yeah, we're fucking atrocious at keeping the ball. The thing is, against France I was perfectly happy with us sitting back (and I would be against Spain, France again, Germany etc), and against Sweden I was happy for 75 minutes barring the first 15 after half time with our attacking. So it's in us, it just seems like we can't marry the two together.

Ashes

Banned
Hasn't Milner been out form this tournament? Am surprised there isn't a great call to remove him from the starting 11 at least.

dc89

How is Bale still at Tottenham? No manager, no CL qualification. He's leaving surely? Yet he's excited to face us in the season's opening game. :/

I fully expect to be raged at but Mancini has always admired Bale and I wouldn't be surprised to see City make an approach.

It's been rumoured recently too.

Wilbur

Banned
Hasn't Milner been out form this tournament? Am surprised there isn't a great call to remove him from the starting 11 at least.

I think he's been dire whenever he's had the ball but it makes sense to have him there, means Johnson can get forward and we can keep shape as opposed to having Walcott push forward alongside Johnson

You should sell Bale then; Modric is the more important player in my opinion.

If you do sell Modric then replacement is absolutely vital. No matter how strong you think your squad is, and it is, when you lose a player who's so vital to how you set up your attacks and function as a team then things can go tits up. Just see Alonso. We still had the likes of Mascherano, Torres and Gerrard, but we weren't the same team and we fell apart. You beat us on that opening day of the season if I remember correctly.

It's not a case of selling one of them. It's never been about money. If Modric was happy to stay then he would. But he isn't, which is why he's being sold to Real Madrid.

Wilbur

Banned
There's nothing else you need to know apart from Liam Neeson is a fucking boss. That's the plot right there. And sequel is dialing it up to 11.

I do love me some brainless action. The Raid, Fast Five and Bad Boys II, damn girl. Need to see me some Taken.

Arnie

It's not a case of selling one of them. It's never been about money. If Modric was happy to stay then he would. But he isn't, which is why he's being sold to Real Madrid.
The parallels with Alonso are evident. Just replace him better than we did Alonso; as much as I rate Aquilani, it was a disaster buying an injured player.
I haven't seen the first one yet. Looks right up my street though.

It's better than Scarface. I aint even joking.

Wilbur

Banned
The parallels with Alonso are evident. Just replace him better than we did Alonso; as much as I rate Aquilani, it was a disaster buying an injured player.

It's better than Scarface. I aint even joking.

I'm not surprised, Scarface is 80% wank. Pacino and the 80s music/style etc saves it from death.

Also I hope Modric doesn't go anywhere but United this summer if he does leave Spurs. Second half against Italy and the whole Ireland match he just ran the game.

I watched a few Belgian league games last season. He seemed to prefer a strong defense and an organized collective - but that could very well be something common in their league. We all know you like that Chelsea-esque way of playing.

Haha oh wow just saw the news about Ariel Jacobs joining Copenhagen. Good luck to them.

He's a super defensive coach, he had the best and most expensive squad in the Belgian league at his disposal and made them play some depressing football to the point the fans started hating on him. He still won the league twice over the last 5 years but he should have won at least 4 titles. Not to mention some embarassing failures in CL qualifying rounds. He was basically shooed away from Anderlecht.

He's a very nice person, former UN diplomat, multilingual, very polite and will suck up nicely to the club direction. Good PR man.

rodvik

Not so sure about that. He has had some awful moments in the final third for sure but he has also been one of the few England players who have been pressing for every minute to get possession back. If anything I think he has been a bit undervalued by most observers.

While we are at it, I am pleased Welbeck has been improving. I was not impressed the first game with him at all, but he has been growing into the tournament imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom