• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AV7, nice. Can't wait to see what he does with a proper pre-season behind him, without injury woes in the background.

Yes, they have signed Kagawa. He’s a player of some quality, and has impressed in his time at Dortmund. Yet it is really not a clever signing. Kagawa is at his best playing off a front man, the same position that Rooney should occupy. Certainly to get the best out of both of them, Ferguson would have to play a vague diamond, which isn’t ideal in the modern game.

Um, what.

Wish West Ham would sign someone already, I'm starting to get twitchy and all these twitter rumours being reported as fact are driving me nuts. Twitter has made the silly season 100x sillier.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
I don't agree, generally, and still expect United to be in the top four. But you make a good case on paper, certainly. I still think at least one, but maybe two teams need to have stormers of a season for United not to qualify, but it's not impossible. Stranger shit has happened. There was a time in the not too distant past when Barcelona were floating around in lower mid table in La Liga.

By the way, I love your blog. Looks great. Added you on Twitter as well. Shame about your choice of Football team but I'll let that slide.. ;)

Cheers. I do overly post about Leeds, but you can probably just ignore those. And yeah, but I reckon that even if only those 'top 4' who I picked have good seasons, they should probably outperform Man Utd on paper. Then it only takes Newcastle to have a great year and Man Utd will struggle even more.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pirlo “I’d bring Balotelli to Juventus straight away. We have had no problems and I know how to talk to him, we are both from Brescia and when we are playing for Italy we speak in a tight Brescia dialect.”

9-no-thanks.jpg

Jensen

AV7, nice. Can't wait to see what he does with a proper pre-season behind him, without injury woes in the background.

Um, what.
The vague diamond Tim. How can you not know about the vague diamond?!

Just joking amitaiwinehouse and your blog is very nicely designed.

I've seen that same article pretty much every year.
The best was the year when we sold Ruud :D

When I say some quality, I mean great quality. Quirk of English. But I'm adamant in my belief that Rooney is far less effective up top by himself. He needs someone to play off. It is why he struggles when he plays with Berbatov, who is inclined to drop into the channels, which is where Rooney tends to want to play.
Rooney and Berbatov IMO didn't work not because Rooney NEEDS somebody to play off but because that is the role he was told to play, but Berbatov wasn't the best at combining with Rooney there.

I think Rooney can play as the front man in a fluid system and he was great in his one season in that position. Also, in his time at United we have never has a true #10 to link up with him, this will be his first chance. I actually don't think Rooney is that great a #10 and will be better playing with Kagawa behind him as a lead the line striker who has some freedom. Rooney is effective in that position but lacks the guile to be a player who really gets the most out of the positions he picks up.

Anyhow, I am quite sure Kagawa will play a lot of games in CM.

Obv I don't think we will finish outside the top 4 but it's a good article were fairly reasoned points. I think the team is still quite a bit better than everyone else bar City, I guess we'll see what happens with Chelsea who are a bit of an unknown for now. I think we'd have to have a bad season and others a very good season for us to drop to #5 and I don't see that. I don't think we played well last year and were well well clear in 2nd, it would be a hell of a turn around that's for sure. A change of 20 or so points.

You write very well and on interesting topics btw. You should post here more.

Ashes

Banned
Pirlo “I’d bring Balotelli to Juventus straight away. We have had no problems and I know how to talk to him, we are both from Brescia and when we are playing for Italy we speak in a tight Brescia dialect.”

9-no-thanks.jpg

lol. You say that now.

You're right of course.

Sounds like Pogba had a great game in the U-19 tournament. Half an hour till the Fergie interview airs, can't like, a tiny part of me is hoping he is still ours...

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Just to respond, the vague diamond was more in reference to the fact that he'd have to play with a DM and AM, but obviously it wouldn't work as Ferguson is a big fan of wingers. He's essentially played a 4-2-3-1 for longer than anyone. Rooney and Kagawa are both realistically competing for the same position, and even though Kagawa is really good, is he better than Rooney? And if he isn't, will he be content to play out of position or sit on the bench? Is it a good signing if he's not really dealing with the frailties? If he plays the same role as your best player?

And I will post more often. I'm just trying to get the site out there as much as possible really, it's difficult spreading away from the fan base of just the one club. All my Leeds related stuff gets well read, but the other stuff less so.

Ashes

Banned
Sounds like Pogba had a great game in the U-19 tournament. Half an hour till the Fergie interview airs, can't like, a tiny part of me is hoping he is still ours...

He's not that good viva. Let it go.

If he was, he would be playing in the starting 11.

Bumhead

Banned
Just to respond, the vague diamond was more in reference to the fact that he'd have to play with a DM and AM, but obviously it wouldn't work as Ferguson is a big fan of wingers. He's essentially played a 4-2-3-1 for longer than anyone. Rooney and Kagawa are both realistically competing for the same position, and even though Kagawa is really good, is he better than Rooney? And if he isn't, will he be content to play out of position or sit on the bench? Is it a good signing if he's not really dealing with the frailties? If he plays the same role as your best player?

And I will post more often. I'm just trying to get the site out there as much as possible really, it's difficult spreading away from the fan base of just the one club. All my Leeds related stuff gets well read, but the other stuff less so.

Are you looking for additional writers?

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Are you looking for additional writers?

We'll happily publish things. I write it with my flatmates from University, who are Newcastle and Huddersfield fans, but hopefully we'll add a writer who's a Liverpool fan soon. Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but I tend to write the majority of the stuff and I paid for everything, so I think I'm within my rights to say yes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It'll be interesting to see who AVB makes a move for. Won't have the same resources he had at Chelsea.

He won't, but it seems like Levy is willing to spend. Sigurdsson and Vertonghen will almost certainly come in. Adebayor potentially as well. We need another striker and a keeper (unless AVB can get Gomes going again), at least. That's assuming Modric stays.
lol

When I say some quality, I mean great quality. Quirk of English. But I'm adamant in my belief that Rooney is far less effective up top by himself. He needs someone to play off. It is why he struggles when he plays with Berbatov, who is inclined to drop into the channels, which is where Rooney tends to want to play.

Except for 09-10, when he scored over 30 goals up top by himself? Rooney's a great all-round player, with an exceptional range of passing for a striker, but his first touch and control in tight spaces isn't at the level suited to being a great no. 10. We've made him critical to the way we attack by placing him there and our predictability going through the middle became evident when Anderson and Cleverley got injured. I think he'll do wonderfully as a (halfway false) nine again; less pressure to create in ways he can't, more chances to influence the game by playing within his limits.

Kagawa is the superior player there, and given everything we've heard - from the player, Fergie and (muppet) Rene - that's where he'll be playing most of the time. But he also plays quite well cutting inside from the left for Japan. That's why I don't understand this "vague diamond" business. It'll be 4-3-3 or a reversion to the 4-4-1-1.

The blog looks pretty though.

Bumhead

Banned
We'll happily publish things. I write it with my flatmates from University, who are Newcastle and Huddersfield fans, but hopefully we'll add a writer who's a Liverpool fan soon. Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but I tend to write the majority of the stuff and I paid for everything, so I think I'm within my rights to say yes.

Cool, interesting to know.

You'll probably find there's a hugely diverse range of fans here who might wish to help you out if you ever want it. I'll be keeping tabs on your blog for sure as like I say, I love the design.

Feorax

He won't, but it seems like Levy is willing to spend. Sigurdsson and Vertonghen will almost certainly come in. Adebayor potentially as well. We need another striker and a keeper (unless AVB can get Gomes going again), at least. That's assuming Modric stays.
lol

Lloris could be a good bet for you guys. I know we were linked with him, but I genuinely can't see Reina going anywhere, at least until he's given Rodgers play style a chance.

I posted this a while back when we were linked with AVB. Good article, might give you an idea of what players will play where next season.

http://katecohensoccer.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/why-andre-villas-boas-will-be-a-success-at-liverpool%E2%80%8F/

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Except for 09-10, when he scored over 30 goals up top by himself? Rooney's a great all-round player, with an exceptional range of passing for a striker, but his first touch and control in tight spaces isn't at the level suited to being a great no. 10. We've made him critical to the way we attack by placing him there and our predictability going through the middle became evident when Anderson and Cleverley got injured. I think he'll do wonderfully as a (halfway false) nine again; less pressure to create in ways he can't, more chances to influence the game by playing within his limits.

Kagawa is the superior player there, and given everything we've heard - from the player, Fergie and (muppet) Rene - that's where he'll be playing most of the time. But he also plays quite well cutting inside from the left for Japan. That's why I don't understand this "vague diamond" business. It'll be 4-3-3 or a reversion to the 4-4-1-1.

The blog looks pretty though.

Yeah I'm not actually saying you'll play a diamond. It's just the only way I could conceive of you shoehorning both Rooney and Kagawa in, but I obviously don't think you'll do that. 4-4-1-1 seems likely, but that means dropping Welbeck and Hernandez. I just think Rooney is far better as a number 10, but obviously we can agree to disagree.

Salvadora

Sigurdsson & Vertonghen would be great buys. A striker should be priority, Adebayor could potentially be got on the cheap from City. Wages are the sticking point. You should let Modric go if you get a big enough bid. I'd say 25m+, It'd definitely help your transfer activity if he isn't trying to force a move all summer. Its a big positive that Bale signed a new contract as well. That surprised me, Thought he'd try to get a move to a big spending/Champions league club.

Kyoufu

Sigurdsson & Vertonghen would be great buys. A striker should be priority, Adebayor could potentially be got on the cheap from City. Wages are the sticking point. You should let Modric go if you get a big enough bid. I'd say 25m+, It'd definitely help your transfer activity if he isn't trying to force a move all summer. Its a big positive that Bale signed a new contract as well. That surprised me, Thought he'd try to get a move to a big spending/Champions league club.

I thought the same. Guess he enjoys living in London!

Vertonghen and Sigurdsson are such quality buys though. Really jealous of Tottenham :(

Feorax

Just thought, I can see AVB making a bid for Fernando as a long term replacement for Parker. How much do we reckon he would go for? He could be an idea backup for Lucas if we're in the market for a DM (which we damn well should be).

Edit: memorial looks great. I'll definately need to go see it when it's done.

Every year people say United have a worse squad than other teams and are going to struggle, yet every year United challenge for the title.

He's not that good viva. Let it go.

If he was, he would be playing in the starting 11.

Nah, he's good. Some questions about his mentality, but the composure and technique is all there. He'd get a real shot in the first team by 2013. But I'm guessing the main reason he's likely off to Juve is so he can play guaranteed first team football on loan at Udinese, as they're pretty shot of midfielders now (outside of Abdi?), and receive the nice short-term payday which comes with it. He'd need to do something incredible to break into that Juve midfield over the next few seasons, even as a squad player.

LegoArmo

I'd bet everything I own that United won't drop out of the top 4. It's just not going to happen while Ferguson is still there.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
I'd bet everything I own that United won't drop out of the top 4. It's just not going to happen while Ferguson is still there.

He's increasingly delegating matters, he doesn't apparently have much involvement on a week except for from Thursday onwards. It is somewhat reasonable to suggest there's a point at which his 'magic' just won't work any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom