• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

CLUB FOOTY YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I can't believe how excited I am for the upcoming season. I've never been so excited before (my second full season) :)

Ashes

Banned
Nah, he's good. Some questions about his mentality, but the composure and technique is all there. He'd get a real shot in the first team by 2013. But I'm guessing the main reason he's likely off to Juve is so he can play guaranteed first team football on loan at Udinese, as they're pretty shot of midfielders now (outside of Abdi?), and receive the nice short-term payday which comes with it. He'd need to do something incredible to break into that Juve midfield over the next few seasons, even as a squad player.

lol. Try to soften the blow, and Tim blows the bloody door open! :p

bjaelke

Eurosport commentator at the Serbia - France game: "The camera man is clearly having a love affair with this blond young woman and rightly so - there have been nothing exciting happening on the pitch this second half!"

KuGsj.gif

Jensen

Daily Mail said:
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has fired a parting shot to Paul Pogba, blasting the Juventus-bound youngster for showing the club 'no respect'.

The 19-year-old was a controversial arrival from Le Harve in 2009 when the French side accused the Barclays Premier League side of tapping up the teenager
The France youth international made his breakthrough into the United first-team in 2011 but was forced to wait until January, at the start of this year, before making his debut as a substitute against Stoke.

Frustrated with a lack of opportunities - featuring just seven times in total - Pogba paved the way for a move to Serie A giants Juve by refusing to pen a new deal.
Although Pogba is yet to rubber-stamp his £20,000-a-week switch to the Italian champions, Ferguson insists the French midfielder is as good as gone.

'Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far as we're aware,' Ferguson told the club’s in-house TV station MUTV.'It's a bit disappointing because I don’t think he should us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I'm quite happy that he's away from me anyway.'

Ferguson, however, expects United's other young contract rebel Ezekiel Fryers to report for pre-season training despite the uncertainty surrounding his future at Old Trafford.
The 19-year-old defender is a free agent after his contract expired at the end of last month and has attracted interest from Tottenham and Newcastle.

But despite not having any contact with United officials, Ferguson believes the promising starlet will be involved in his forthcoming pre-season plans. 'As for Ezekiel Fryers, I don't know what's happening there,' Ferguson added. 'He hasn't been in touch with the club and the agent hasn't been in touch with club.I can only assume he'll be back in training today.'

Very strong words from Fergie, I think he was planning on giving Pogba a lot more first team appearances this season.

jtb

Banned
I'd bet everything I own that United won't drop out of the top 4. It's just not going to happen while Ferguson is still there.

hell, if Arsenal hasn't dropped out of the top 4 in the last five years, there's no way United will. Anyways, it's not like United is getting weaker - they're signing players (overpriced English ones, in the case of last summer), and the only time they've let key players go was in 09 with Tevez and Ronaldo.

Salvadora

hell, if Arsenal hasn't dropped out of the top 4 in the last five years, there's no way United will. Anyways, it's not like United is getting weaker - they're signing players (overpriced English ones, in the case of last summer), and the only time they've let key players go was in 09 with Tevez and Ronaldo.

That in of itself is a miracle.

Yeah I'm not actually saying you'll play a diamond. It's just the only way I could conceive of you shoehorning both Rooney and Kagawa in, but I obviously don't think you'll do that. 4-4-1-1 seems likely, but that means dropping Welbeck and Hernandez. I just think Rooney is far better as a number 10, but obviously we can agree to disagree.

You don't think Ferguson would be averse to dropping unnecessary strikers? Did you see what happened to Berbasex this season?

I'm not worried about Welbeck. As he showed at Sunderland and for us, he can play anywhere across the front-line, including the wings. And I halfway prefer him to Young out there; I'd likely say outright in a few seasons if he keeps developing on track. He'll get games. I'm starting to think Chicharito might really be the new Solskjaer; a good option off the bench, with some rotation here and there. At least, until he can elevate his game outside the box.

And (this one's for you, doicare) injuries will be a factor.

K1LLER7: Young, ahead of AV7?

tumblr_lkq53hFITa1qf9yh6.gif

jtb

Banned
United will probably play the same 4-2-3-1 formation (Kagawa in the hole, Rooney up front) that every other major team in Europe uses for most of next season, besides when it comes to crushing the minnows. It does make me happy for the Serie A teams in the CL like Juve (or Napoli last season), since they at least throw in some tactical variation into the fray.

NHale

Sigurdsson & Vertonghen would be great buys. A striker should be priority, Adebayor could potentially be got on the cheap from City. Wages are the sticking point. You should let Modric go if you get a big enough bid. I'd say 25m+, It'd definitely help your transfer activity if he isn't trying to force a move all summer. Its a big positive that Bale signed a new contract as well. That surprised me, Thought he'd try to get a move to a big spending/Champions league club.

Atletico Madrid is still trying to find the money to pay the rest of Falcao + Ruben Micael. So maybe give them a call, I heard they have a brilliant striker there and one that loved AVB.

Just thought, I can see AVB making a bid for Fernando as a long term replacement for Parker. How much do we reckon he would go for? He could be an idea backup for Lucas if we're in the market for a DM (which we damn well should be).

Edit: memorial looks great. I'll definately need to go see it when it's done.

Fernando was available for "cheap" last year (~€15M) when Vitor Pereira wanted him out because he liked Souza more. Right now, it seems the price went up to a point where even Inter Milan is no longer interested. However I don't see him as a great fit for the Premier League.

rodvik

I am looking forward to the new season. The quality of football should be far superior to last season. The quality of managers has certainly taken a turn for the better imho.

jtb

Banned
when do Tevez's and Adebayor's contracts go until? and is Dzeko staying put?

surprisingly little transfer activity on any of the three... bodes well for keeping RVP, I suppose.

Kyoufu

when I said I was looking forward to the new season... I didn't mean it.

All these new signings scare me tbh. Don't know if I can handle a top 8 finish.

K1LLER7

You don't think Ferguson would be averse to dropping unnecessary strikers? Did you see what happened to Berbasex this season?

K1LLER7: Young, ahead of AV7?
My bad, we'll play Bebe out there instead :p

Think of it wasn't for his injuries, Petrucci would be ahead of Pogba. Whenever he's played, I've been more impressed with him, hopefully he's going with the team for pre-season and can keep injury free.

Ashes

Banned
Whilst we normally play great in the second half of the season, I think last season, we got more points in the first half.

You know what? I wouldn't mind not winning anything next year, just as long as we get our backbone sorted.

dc89

19:45 Linfield FC vs B36 Torshavn

I have no idea who these teams are lol

edit: sounds like prison football

Any streams :p

when do Tevez's and Adebayor's contracts go until? and is Dzeko staying put?

surprisingly little transfer activity on any of the three... bodes well for keeping RVP, I suppose.

Two seasons remaining on each I think, this season and the next.

I can't see Dzeko leaving, if any City strikers go it will be Ade and Santa Cruz for certain and if one of the 4 who we all know go it will be Tevez.

RVP - the next week will be very telling.

'We'll wait and see,' Ferguson told MUTV, when asked whether the 28-year-old would feature during pre-season.

'The boy's trying very hard to get back to his level. It's not going to be easy but we'll give him every possible chance and see how he does.'

Really feel for Fletcher, horrible condition to have, but I'm getting Hargreaves flashbacks. Don't see him being the same player, even if he comes back.

Meier

What are the rumors with Man City anyways? They selling some combination of their strikers?

Definitely trying to sell Santa Cruz and Adebayor and possibly selling Tevez and Dzeko despite Mancini saying otherwise. Dzeko seems to have the largest number of interested suitors.

Kolo Toure will try to be shopped as will Savic (either on loan or permanent). Kolarov is rumored to be on his way out but Mancini said he'd like to keep him the other day. I think Adam Johnson will go. De Jong has 1 year left on his deal and either will sign a new one or be sold. Quite a number of clubs have been linked to him. I think Milner seems pretty content with his role so I don't expect he'll be sold. There was some story a few weeks back that indicated Nasri may be one and done but I don't believe that. I don't think he has much of a future at the club though due to his attitude.

We've been linked to a TON of players but I think most of it is just bullshit. Javi Martinez is definitely one of Mancini's top targets as is Edinson Cavani and obviously RVP. Most of the players we've been linked to have been strikers or CBs.

Definitely trying to sell Santa Cruz and Adebayor and possibly selling Tevez and Dzeko despite Mancini saying otherwise. Dzeko seems to have the largest number of interested suitors.

Kolo Toure will try to be shopped as will Savic (either on loan or permanent). Kolarov is rumored to be on his way out but Mancini said he'd like to keep him the other day. I think Adam Johnson will go. De Jong has 1 year left on his deal and either will sign a new one or be sold. Quite a number of clubs have been linked to him. I think Milner seems pretty content with his role so I don't expect he'll be sold.

We've been linked to a TON of players but I think most of it is just bullshit. Javi Martinez is definitely one of Mancini's top targets as is Edinson Cavani and obviously RVP. Most of the players we've been linked to have been strikers or CBs.

I'd love to see Kolo Toure at Aston Villa.

K1LLER7

Tevez leaving City will be a big loss. Although he's a bit of a John terry, Tevez is the best Striker City have IMO and not many in the world will give the team what he does on the pitch.

Jensen

Really feel for Fletcher, horrible condition to have, but I'm getting Hargreaves flashbacks. Don't see him being the same player, even if he comes back.
I read some posts on Redcafe from a guy who had the same condition, Fletcher even got in contact with him, and it sounds like it will be very difficult for him to make a comeback ro at least play at the standard expected at United. Not to say that it isn't possible but the signs do not look good.

Think of it wasn't for his injuries, Petrucci would be ahead of Pogba. Whenever he's played, I've been more impressed with him, hopefully he's going with the team for pre-season and can keep injury free.

Hard to say at this stage, but Petrucci is naturally a more advanced midfielder. Him and Powell will make for some interesting alts to Cleverley and Kagawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom