• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Fair enough, I thought you meant 'Its not a discussion forum like NeoGaf is.' If you meant 'Its not a discussion forum to the extent of NeoGaf,' you're right. Even then though, its a necessary inevitability of an entire forum dedicated to one club.

My wording wasn't ideal. I agree it's inevitable and the mods try too hard to protect their concept of what they want it to be, especially given that they format it in a very typical vBulletin style board.

I mentioned this before with regards to Gylfi...I don't know what made him pick Tottenham, of course money will have been a factor but with that even I still think he would have made that choice, they're better placed right now.

But that aside, if I was an LFC fan i'd be a little...maybe not concerned but interested, in why LFC were not able to match Tottenham's offer. Of course we don't know what wages he will be on but hasn't Gareth Bale just signed a new contract in the region of £70k p/w? I would be amazed if Sigurdsson is on the same. Some people have been saying LFC offered him marginally more than what he was on at Swansea.

I guess every club has their own budget and plans and LFC will have decided what he was worth to them...but if you want a player you have to pay the going rate. Something like £50k p/w for Sigurdsson is not unreasonable IMO.

Fact is he is a player LFC could have done with and he has gone to a direct rival. LFC want to be careful with their finances and that is right but you have to be willing to take some risks, LFC can't offer players CL football or a club which is soaring at the moment so they need to be willing to pay competitive wages.

Of course this is just one player we will see where LFC are at the end of the summer, they will certainly have other targets in mind and perhaps will spend their money on them. But still, for Spurs to beat LFC to a player on wages...that surprises me.

GorillaJu

I mentioned this before with regards to Gylfi...I don't know what made him pick Tottenham, of course money will have been a factor but with that even I still think he would have made that choice, they're better placed right now.

But that aside, if I was an LFC fan i'd be a little...maybe not concerned but interested, in why LFC were not able to match Tottenham's offer. Of course we don't know what wages he will be on but hasn't Gareth Bale just signed a new contract in the region of £70k p/w? I would be amazed if Sigurdsson is on the same. Some people have been saying LFC offered him marginally more than what he was on at Swansea.

I guess every club has their own budget and plans and LFC will have decided what he was worth to them...but if you want a player you have to pay the going rate. Something like £50k p/w for Sigurdsson is not unreasonable IMO.

Fact is he is a player LFC could have done with and he has gone to a direct rival. LFC want to be careful with their finances and that is right but you have to be willing to take some risks, LFC can't offer players CL football or a club which is soaring at the moment so they need to be willing to pay competitive wages.

Of course this is just one player we will see where LFC are at the end of the summer, they will certainly have other targets in mind and perhaps will spend their money on them. But still, for Spurs to beat LFC to a player on wages...that surprises me.

LFC was 100% certain he was joining on the offer we originally gave him. Spurs came in at nearly double the wages and we decided not to make a second offer, for one reason or another.

Having let Kuyt and Aurelio go, Maxi and likely Joe Cole to follow, we'll have cleared up 300-350k per week in wages. There's no reason why we couldn't have upped our offer to Gylfi, but for some reason (perhaps principle – if a player agrees to sign for us, then decides that money is their priority, we'll let them go), we didn't.

Can't be arsed about it too much longer. Brendan Rodgers mentioned he wants to bring in 4 players who will improve the team right away - having said this yesterday, he'll have already been aware that Gylfi was going elsewhere. A missed opportunity, but not the end of the world.

Agree that he really is a player we could have done with, though.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the idea was to get Sigurdsson on low wages and sell Aquilani, and if that falls through keep Aquilani. FSG have made no secret that one of their priorities is to get the wage bill down, although I'll admit I'd hoped that'd be by getting rid of the likes of Cole and Kuyt (much as I love him) rather than missing out on transfer targets without putting up a fight

dc89

Holy shit. That little unmentionable Dappy has a new song out. The video is ridiculous on so many levels and that's before we get to the actual song.

"I’m just saying I’ll shit so hard I’m constipated
Overworked, underrated"

Pile of wank - cant even call it music.

Holy shit. That little unmentionable Dappy has a new song out. The video is ridiculous on so many levels and that's before we get to the actual song.

"I’m just saying I’ll shit so hard I’m constipated
Overworked, underrated"

Pile of wank - cant even call it music.

Semi-parody surely, by those lyrics?

Dragon's Dogma is amazing btw guys

GorillaJu

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the idea was to get Sigurdsson on low wages and sell Aquilani, and if that falls through keep Aquilani. FSG have made no secret that one of their priorities is to get the wage bill down, although I'll admit I'd hoped that'd be by getting rid of the likes of Cole and Kuyt (much as I love him) rather than missing out on transfer targets without putting up a fight

Asked if Liverpool could still secure marquee signings like the £22million spent on Fernando Torres in the summer of 2007 Werner replied: 'Yes. Look at our history.

'The Boston Red Sox have the second-highest wages in baseball and we have been as successful, if not more, than the new York Yankees.

'We are coming from a market that is somewhere like Liverpool, we are not New York or London, and we have been successful in generating revenues which we have ploughed back into an excellent team.

'We will be driven by value but we certainly have the resources to have some targets.

'We are in this for the long-term and every pound that we make will strengthen the club.

'We do have great resources. We have a very high wage bill and it shouldn't be such that we are 12th in the league right now.

'I don't want to get the wage bill down, I want it to increase and we have the resources to do that - I just think we ought to be performing at a better level than we had been.

There it is straight from the horses mouth. It's not that wages have to go down in general, it's that the habit of buying 30 year olds and putting them on 100k / wk. wages needs to go :p

I'll be playing it soon. Looks great.

Same! Played the demo and really enjoyed it. Just been taking it easy on buying games at the moment. Excited to jump in, though.

Galliani has a unique skill: in just a couple of minutes, he can make people both happy and sad. At first he said this: "We're talking with Torino about Mesbah. He might leave, but the rest of the player won't be leaving Milan." Then he added: "We have 9 midfielders. Our transfer market is closed; both incoming and outgoing. Perhaps only Mesbah will leave. Our squad is complete."

Also, today he met Preziosi (and talked about Destro) and Verrati's agent (just to be safe: that's not going to happen, Yurt :p). And he also said something about our shirt and Copa Libertadores: if Boca wins tonight, then we won't be able to put an inscription on our shirt that we're "the most succesful club in the world" (marketing crap, I know). He said that they might have to start writing "the most succesful club in Europe". I love how much they're focused on this, it's not like our team need at least 3-4 new players.

Also, next year our third shirt will be yellow. Yay, I guess.

Arnie

I do feel a little bad for that. I tell you what, I'll paypal you it (£10?) if we sell Modric to Real Madrid. That's where the real money is.

£10. I backed AVB and Blanc (33/1) though. It was only ever going to be one of those.

hahaha, don't worry mate, enjoy your money.

sneaky77

our new away kit is quite sexy

resizer.php

GorillaJu

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@MohammedLFCFan no mates how shit is that. not going to lie like other #I.T.K's, seems #lfc have battered down the hatches a bit.

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@MohammedLFCFan and i can tell you its the same for other #journos, B.R's top 4 or 5 targets are not yet known so people will make stuff up.

You (LFC guys) seen this yet? Even Mr Jenkins has no fuckin clue who we're after. Gonna end up pulling a Kyoufu by the end of the window.. "FUCK JUST FUCKING SIGN SOMEONE GOD" <3 Kyoufu

---

That Bilbao kit above looks great!

Arnie

So I take it Alan Brazil hasn't revealed his Spurs exclusive yet?

You (LFC guys) seen this yet? Even Mr Jenkins has no fuckin clue who we're after. Gonna end up pulling a Kyoufu by the end of the window.. "FUCK JUST FUCKING SIGN SOMEONE GOD"
Definitely for the best. Will make it more exciting when they emerge.

image-372487-panoV9free-knsj.jpg

Bayern Münchens brasilian 22 year old central back, Breno has been sentenced to 3 years and 9 months in prison (no probation) for arson. His house burnt down last year and the prosecution saw it as proven that he did it.

Arnie

Duncan Jenkins' latest tweets about TV shows with footballers are hilarious:

'On the couch with Peter Crouch'
'Engineering with Jay Spearing'
'Driving around Chester with Andres Iniesta'

Edit: Rangers out of SPL.

DerZuhälter;39500883 said:
image-372487-panoV9free-knsj.jpg

Bayern Münchens central back, the brasilian Breno has been sentenced to 3 years and 9 months in prison for arson. His house burnt down last year and the prosecution saw it as proven that he did it.

What the fuck? This guy clearly has a lot of issues. I knew he was a dirty player, but this is quite a leap.

'On the couch with Peter Crouch'

This one is supposedly real.

GorillaJu

I know absolutely jack shit about the SPL - could someone enlighten me as to why on earth the other SPL clubs are so against Rangers Newco?

Mastadon

Banned
I know absolutely jack shit about the SPL - could someone enlighten me as to why on earth the other SPL clubs are so against Rangers Newco?

It's a case of putting sporting integrity ahead of money and commercial interests. It sends a clear message that this level of fuck up won't be tolerated.

dc89

Rangers and Celtic have dominated the SPL for years, not just on the field but with TV money and all sorts.

GorillaJu

It's a case of putting sporting integrity ahead of money and commercial interests. It sends a clear message that this level of fuck up won't be tolerated.

I haven't really been following the Rangers thing except that I know loosely what happened to them (no money, administration)

So they are out of the SPL, but can work their way up through the tiers like any other club, is that right?

LegoArmo

Or simply because cheating for years, not paying tax (possibly over £100m), not paying money owed to the other clubs and getting away with basically no punishment would be fucking ridiculous.

It will still be ridiculous when this new team gets put in Division 1. Who the fuck are they?

Dynoro

Imagine a EPL team went bankrupt, stopped paying their players and staff, stopped paying tax and then started themselves up as a new company (to dodge all their creditors) and then expected to still keep their standing in the league - would you feel that was fair?

This is totally unlike MUFC who are only in debt to the bank (for a loan that has been agreed and is being paid off - albeit very expensively and slowly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom