• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

I'm more amused by how many people are wanking over him kicking a ball in a straight line, that most basic of footballing skills
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

dc89

Could be worse. You could be watching Glee right now.

But in a short while I'm watching Chronicle. Is it any good?

Salazar

I'm more amused by how many people are wanking over him kicking a ball in a straight line, that most basic of footballing skills
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

It's like when a rugby player's foot connects with a loose ball, and the commentators invariably shriek MARADONAA, MESSI, RONALDOOOOO

Kyoufu

To be fair, he kicked the ball with the outside of his foot. It was a kick only Beckham could pull off.

$50 million.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
God I love reading RAWK. They are throwing around all sorts of reasons for Sigurdsson choosing Spurs except the most obvious one, that we are currently a more attractive club than Liverpool.

Got to tell you, morsel.

Finding it hard to reach critical sympathy mass when your big problem is your gf having salsa classes.

My own romantic existence is like a Venkys spreadsheet.

Well, the university library seems to be a decent hotspot out west. Have you tried the ol' "what are you reading / illegally watching there?" shuffle?

Arnie

When's Lucas going to be back fit?

Hopefully by the start of the season. He's finished up the bulk of his rehab in Brazil, and he's back in Melwood today. He's already started doing work with the ball, so assuming the injury doesn't recur, and assuming he gets himself fit over pre-season, he should be ready for West Brom. I'm not doctor though, perhaps that's being optimistic.

If AC Milan offered £15 million for Andy Carroll, would Liverpool GAF take it?
I would.

Then I'd use it on Sturridge.

Fintan

Hopefully by the start of the season. He's finished up the bulk of his rehab in Brazil, and he's back in Melwood today. He's already started doing work with the ball, so assuming the injury doesn't recur, and assuming he gets himself fit over pre-season, he should be ready for West Brom. I'm not doctor though, perhaps that's being optimistic.

I would.
Good to hear. A fit Lucas will make a huge difference for you guys.

GorillaJu

Pretend for a moment that you know nothing about football, that you're coming in completely from a blank slate:

Now imagine watching one of the Clasico matches from the last year or so because you heard it was a match between the two best teams in the world. You see guys leap into the air, grabbing their face, practically do flips, land on the ground, scream in pain, watch their teammates get in a quarrel with the enemy team, have the ref get involved, lose 3+ minutes of game time, then the injured guy gets stretchered off....

then gets off the stretcher, jumps back up and comes back into play.

You really can't blame people for thinking "WTF?!" about that.

Gamesmanship wastes soooo much time in modern football matches, and is both disingenuous and makes the footballers look embarrassingly weak.

God I love reading RAWK. They are throwing around all sorts of reasons for Sigurdsson choosing Spurs except the most obvious one, that we are currently a more attractive club than Liverpool.

There is one reason and one reason only that Sigurdsson is moving to Tottenham Hotspur, and we both know what it is.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Link please. I need more laughs.

Here you go, the bitter delusion is delicious.

"3. Rogers wanted Sigurðsson, Tottenham offered more, Rodgers knows that Sigurðsson is worth that amount of money but needed to keep some money to sign James Rodriguez, so he passed."

Makes me laugh, sigurdsson is Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas's first signing since he took charge 24 hours ago, err no its
Levys first signing

Aquilani is a better player if he's fit and on form, so I hope he will stay now.

Mr Rodgers approach of assessing his current playing staff before moving into the market is more logical than what's going on at Spurs.

LOL-data.gif

There is one reason and one reason only that Sigurdsson is moving to Tottenham Hotspur, and we both know what it is.

Wages played a part, no doubt. All part of what made a move to Tottenham more attractive, along with the better players, training centre, location and league finish.

Pretend for a moment that you know nothing about football, that you're coming in completely from a blank slate:

Now imagine watching one of the Clasico matches from the last year or so because you heard it was a match between the two best teams in the world. You see guys leap into the air, grabbing their face, practically do flips, land on the ground, scream in pain, watch their teammates get in a quarrel with the enemy team, have the ref get involved, lose 3+ minutes of game time, then the injured guy gets stretchered off....

Gamesmanship wastes soooo much time in modern football matches, and is both disingenuous and makes the footballers look embarrassingly weak.

Season before last, Champions League semi-finals...Embarassment to the sport, those matches

Arnie

I agree. These people aren't speaking from a privileged reference frame like we are, and as such I understand their apathy towards a sport that, on the surface, seems riddled with diving.

It doesn't help that these people's favourite sport is one that celebrates physical contact and 'big hits'.

@SBienkowski: 38,000 people have applied for the 2000 remaining season tickets at Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion. That’s enough to fill White Hart Lane.

Pretty amazing.

United fan bought a AV25 shirt yesterday morning. Brand new unworn all the tags still on it. Clubs refusing to return or exchange it. Twats.

GorillaJu

I agree. These people aren't speaking from a privileged reference frame like we are, and as such I understand their apathy towards a sport that, on the surface, seems riddled with diving.

It doesn't help that these people's favourite sport is one that celebrates physical contact and 'big hits'.

Think you're projecting a little bit here. There's nothing inconsistent between being annoyed by gamesmanship / feigning injuries and enjoying contact in your sport. I love a good tackle in soccer myself.

I'm playing devil's advocate anyway. I'm used to the diving and simulation. It's still embarrassing when I watch with a friend who isn't accustomed to soccer. My co-worker is a big Australian AFL fan. That sport is rough as fuck – don't think I'd even like to relay his opinion on voetbal!

Arnie

News at eleven, there are numpties on RAWK.

It's all selective though. I've seen people on RAWK admit that Spurs are a more attractive club in terms of playing staff, so just because you happen to be reading the dregs of the forum doesn't mean sensible posters don't exist.

And I like how you're intimating that the reason Sigurdsson is a Spurs player is down to something other than money. We've heard it straight from the mouths of reputable journalists; Spurs offered money we weren't prepared to match. Would he have joined Spurs even if the two offers were equal? Maybe, I'm not saying he wouldn't, but this current situation boils down to money.

And lastly that Aquilani comment is spot on. At the moment, from what we've seen, he is a better player than Sigurdsson. I find your glee at such a comment baffling, especially when you consider that one of Aquilani's really good games for Liverpool was against Spurs when he played off the striker, in a position reminiscent to that of Gylfi. Perhaps you've got a selective memory.

Think you're projecting a little bit here. There's nothing inconsistent between being annoyed by gamesmanship / feigning injuries and enjoying contact in your sport. I love a good tackle in soccer myself.

I'm playing devil's advocate anyway. I'm used to the diving and simulation. It's still embarrassing when I watch with a friend who isn't accustomed to soccer. My co-worker is a big Australian AFL fan. That sport is rough as fuck – don't think I'd even like to relay his opinion on voetbal!
Not at all. I wasn't trying to be pejorative about NFL, or in fact contact sports. I really like NFL, it's my second sport (if I've got such a thing), and I find it perfectly natural for an avid fan of such a sport to take exceptional offence at a sport that, like you say, can include such disgraceful behaviour as that of an El Clasico. It's obviously not a uniform reaction, but I'd fairly sure the juxtaposition between the ethos of both sports does exist.

GorillaJu

They love their essays over there. I love football but I don't think I could ever cough up some of the dissertations I've seen on there. Some OPs are like a scouse War and Peace.

RAWK isn't a discussion forum, like GAF, it's a place for contributors to write articles, and members to respond. At least, that is the intention. It's supposed to be a bunch of fan-written essays. I'm sure the mods would feel complimented by the fact that you characterize it as such, instead of just noticing the awful bickering and whinging.

And lastly that Aquilani comment is spot on. At the moment, from what we've seen, he is a better player than Sigurdsson. I find your glee at such a comment baffling, especially when you consider that one of Aquilani's really good games for Liverpool was against Spurs when he played off the striker, in a position reminiscent to that of Gylfi. Perhaps you've got a selective memory.

He also didn't give a shit about Gylfi a week ago, like most Spurs fans. Until it became a competition with Liverpool fans and an opportunity to gloat, none of them cared. Fair enough. I'd loved to have taken Nick Powell from under United's noses just to be a douche, and I've not so much as Youtubed the boy!

RAWK isn't a discussion forum, like GAF, it's a place for contributors to right articles, and members to respond. At least, that is the intention. It's supposed to be a bunch of fan-written essays. I'm sure the mods would feel complimented by the fact that you characterize it as such, instead of just noticing the awful bickering and whinging.

Sorry, but that's a load of shite

bjaelke

The funny thing is that Aquilani wants to play for Liverpool about as much as Sigurdsson does.
And you're basing that on what exactly?
"At the moment Aquilani is a Liverpool player and will certainly start pre-season training with them, then we’ll see what happens," he said.

"The new manager will decide whether to keep him or not.

"I don’t think he’s coming back to Italy and he hasn’t expressed any particular preference, but this time I hope Liverpool can tell us in time if he’s not part of their plans so we can find him the right club.

GorillaJu

Even if it was intended at the start as that, to say its not a discussion forum is bollocks imo

I said it's not a discussion forum like GAF. Taking snippets out of context a bit there.

I'm sure he's on ridiculous wages that no one wants to match anyway. So he might stick around.

He's on his first contract that he signed under Rafa. Probably 50k-ish wages.

I said it's not a discussion forum like GAF. Taking snippets out of context a bit there.

Fair enough, I thought you meant 'Its not a discussion forum like NeoGaf is.' If you meant 'Its not a discussion forum to the extent of NeoGaf,' you're right. Even then though, its a necessary inevitability of an entire forum dedicated to one club.

Arnie

The funny thing is that Aquilani wants to play for Liverpool about as much as Sigurdsson does.

And I'm not surprised. He joined the club for a big fee, came form his boyhood club where he was loved, and two successive managers spurned the chance to utilise him. In fairness, it appears he may not have adjusted too well to life in England, but he was still under contract and we were more than in our rights to keep him.

Aquilani should be a guaranteed starter in our midfield, if fit. Unfortunately Roy would rather play Poulson and I get the feeling, had he stayed last season, Kenny would've eschewed him for the likes of Spearing, Adam and Henderson.

LegoArmo

And you're basing that on what exactly?

That's agent talk. It's common knowledge that he hasn't enjoyed his time in Liverpool and the only reason he's still there is because Milan and Juve didn't want to cough up the money for him. Things can change though and maybe Rodgers will make him feel welcome. He can't feel very valued by anyone right now.

bjaelke

That's agent talk. It's common knowledge that he hasn't enjoyed his time in Liverpool and the only reason he's still there is because Milan and Juve didn't want to cough up the money for him. Things can change though and maybe Rodgers will make him feel welcome. He can't feel very valued by anyone right now.

Fair enough. I thought you had some kind of interview where he said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom