• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Not really what I asked. You have to admit that "British" stars like Murray and McIlroy are no longer British when they lose.

Oh you're talking about the murraymeter etc? the press?

I don't really care about that stuff. Scottish players have just as much of a right to call them selves British players, as people from Wales and England.

If Murray loses the final, the wait will go on. In tennis, it's team Great Britain, whether it's the Davis Cup or the Olympics, or recognition in the Grand Slams. So to address your question directly, on losing the final, Murray will have to pick him self up to train for the Olympics, for Team GB.

Blablurn

Van gaal!!

Good good

image.jpg

I see Christian Dailly has retired at the age of 38 after 22 years in the game - in 8 seasons he made 191 appearances for West Ham, and became a huge cult favourite because of the passion and commitment he showed in every one of those games. I'll never forget seeing him score in the Championship play-off semi-final against Ipswich directly after he got hit in the balls; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKboxWdUNs. Also, he spawned one of my favourite chants (which the Mancs later nicked for Hargreaves); "Oh Christian Dailly, you're the love of my life. Oh Christian Dailly, I'd let you shag my wife. Oh Christian Dailly, I want curly hair too!". And who remembers him going mental on-air after Scotland lost to Germany in 2003? "Cheats! Fucking cheats! Fucking diving cheats!".

rodvik

I see Christian Dailly has retired at the age of 38 after 22 years in the game - in 8 seasons he made 191 appearances for West Ham, and became a huge cult favourite because of the passion and commitment he showed in every one of those games. I'll never forget seeing him score in the Championship play-off semi-final against Ipswich directly after he got hit in the balls; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKboxWdUNs. Also, he spawned one of my favourite chants (which the Mancs later nicked for Hargreaves); "Oh Christian Dailly, you're the love of my life. Oh Christian Dailly, I'd let you shag my wife. Oh Christian Dailly, I want curly hair too!". And who remembers him going mental on-air after Scotland lost to Germany in 2003? "Cheats! Fucking cheats! Fucking diving cheats!".

This is great. Thanks, always good to hear of other clubs legends.

Arjen

Van Gaal the new manager? God that's awesome. Dis gon b gud.
Where can i make a bet that we won't qualify for the WC? I got this feeling history wil repeat.

Lightning

Banned
Van Gaal needs to bring in younger players into our squad though. Van Dar Vaart, RVP, Huntelaar, Robben, Sneijder are all getting on in years so we need some fresh faces in the squad for when these players retire. He also needs to get rid of the selfish behaviour of the team as that's what cost us at the euros, or one of the things that cost us.

Excited and happy with the appointment though. I would have cried had Gullit been appointed.

Firstly my 'unbelievable' was born out of surprise, not disagreement, and secondly I can't believe you just implied that LVG was infallible appointment.
Oh on, he's not an infallible appointment. I did not mean to imply that but since we ruled out a foreign coach it left us short on opinions so he's one of the top choices from the candidates available. Going further forward after he's had a few more years at Ajax I want frank de boer to become our manager.

Anyone watched the U-19 Euro match between Portugal and Spain? It was a great match, ended 3-3.

Only caught the last 10 minutes. I'm gonna kill someone if Suso does a Pogba. Ridiculous that players like Suso are left hanging while we extend the likes of Coady's contracts and give them pay rises

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Louis van Gaal.. that must be really awkward for Robben.

Seedorf just arrived at Rio. Going to play for Botafogo (Garrincha)

Also, Forlan signed for Inter (brazil).
Seedorf in black and white, and Forlan in a red Inter. Madness.

*really interesting stuff*
Yeah... There's bitterness.

See, I like these stories! Why are we not on your twitter you *google* 街娼. Don't worry, we don't even like salsa!

We like watching it
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif

Yen

Only caught the last 10 minutes. I'm gonna kill someone if Suso does a Pogba. Ridiculous that players like Suso are left hanging while we extend the likes of Coady's contracts and give them pay rises

Coady, the guy who has been captain of every England side from U15 to U19?

Arnie

Anyone watched the U-19 Euro match between Portugal and Spain? It was a great match, ended 3-3.

Watched the majority of it, fantastic match. Mainly watched for Suso and I was mightily impressed once again, although Portugal impressed me too. That striker for Spain also looked decent, quite bulky, and deserved his hat trick.

As Hitcher says, if we don't renew Suso's contract and start him training with the first team this season I'll be a mixture of baffled and furious. He's, for my mind, the best player in that Spain midfield, which is no mean feat. He can pass, dribble, tackle and takes the ball under pressure. He's Rodgers wet dream so I've got some hope that we won't do an Aquilani on his ass and look to ignore him at every opportunity.

Your point makes sense, but so does his, Suso's a better player than Coady.

I feel under Kenny Suso might've been left to leave. I equally believe Rodgers will take one look at him, have a lengthy chat with Segura, and promote him to Melwood.

Arsenal will make a bid of £7M for Fulham's Clint Dempsey on a proposed 2yrs deal as the 2 clubs are expected to meet next week. Fulhams asking price is believed to be £10m though.

Not sure if want.

I just don't see enough ability in Coady to be more than a Spearing. His leadership abilities are clearly admirable, but his captaincy has little relevance for me in terms of prioritising our contract dealings

Suso, Sterling, Robinson. They're the ones we should be clinging onto like an eagle grabs a salmon. IMO, of course

Clydefrog

Arsenal will make a bid of £7M for Fulham's Clint Dempsey on a proposed 2yrs deal as the 2 clubs are expected to meet next week. Fulhams asking price is believed to be £10m though.

Not sure if want.

You want! Dempsey is a beast

I want him on Spurs, so I'd hate to see him go to Arsenal. But as a USA fan, I have to accept it.

Meier

Not sure if want.

£7 million would be a freaking steal for Dempsey. I don't think he's going to score as many goals on a team like Arsenal where he isn't the primary threat, but he'll contribute as much or more than any of their current midfielders IMO.

ESPN are reporting that Modric will be sold if anyone offers near £40m.
Tottenham may now be finally ready to sell Luka Modric, as a leading agent has told ESPN that the club will accept anything close to £40 million for the midfielder.

An insider told ESPN: "The feeling is that Modric, no matter how talented, doesn't score enough goals from his position. It has been suggested that Real Madrid are after him, but I am not so sure. It sounds more like clubs are being alerted that Modric can now be bought.

"Chelsea and Manchester United wanted Modric a year ago, but again there is no certainty that either club will pay the price. However, it seems more likely that Modric will be sold if a club comes close to Spurs' asking price. The club have a new manager who wants to buy his own players and the sale of Modric can significantly help in that direction."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1123200/tottenham-ready-to-sell-modric-for-L40m?cc=5901

Zabojnik

Interesting, Goal are suggesting that City are not willing to make RVP the highest paid player on the team and that the £225k offer is not in fact on the table. They suggest the effective cap right now is £198k per week which is what Aguero and Yaya make.

He's going to Juve. I can feel it in my bone(r)s. Marotta is desperate because we lost Verratti to PSG, which he will try to compensate for with a crazy bid / contract for RVP, one that will cripple and preclude us from signing any decent players for years to come. No surprisingly, RVP will then get seriously injured in the very first game of the season, only to come back in May 2013, when we'll be playing the title-deciding match against Roma. That's right, Zeman's Roma. Believe. He won't score, but instead get injured again. We'll ship him back to Arsenal in an old Fiat 500, where he'll be publicly nailed to a cross in the center of Emirates Stadium. But only once he's fully recovered, because that's how the British roll. Meanwhile, we'll lose the scudetto and fall into a downward spiral that will lead to Juve's delegation at the end of the next season. WoodenLung will then attempt another witty joke about Juve wearing prison clothing, expecting everybody to laugh and pat him on the back. However, while writing the post he will get overly excited and repeatedly use the forbidden word. The newly appointed mod Yurt will ban him for life, following the new forum rules, which will come into effect after what will be forever remembered as the 'NeoGAF 3rd c*** war'. All will be well again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
9c2yq.png

*Prophecy*
ZnqQ5.gif

As I said last night, RVP to Juve makes perfect sense. Because it's wrong, and we like to get our strikers wrong. He ticks all the wrong boxes! Old, expensive, injury prone and a one-two season(s) wonder.

But dammit, he was fucking brilliant last season! I'd take a season or two of that!
Or two brilliant half-seasons, because that's how Juve strikers roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom