• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Whoever ran this parody account I do hope they keep it going

iG6AUSH19X9b6.png

£5 mill for Ji works for me.

Edit: Gah! No! Only £2 mill. Sounds more realistic.

Apparently it's £2m not £5m.

Oh.

Oh :(

Still, £2m is £2m.

Anderson's lost the ball, you nut.

Just as a general rule don't compare that overweight flop to Suso, it's like comparing Charlie Adam to Pirlo.

Still won a corner :p

Nah I'm gonna go ahead about believe it's £5m :D

We'll put it towards the Moutinho bid along with all the left over Park Ji Sung credit cards.

kharma45

Nah I'm gonna go ahead about believe it's £5m :D

We'll put it towards the Moutinho bid along with all the left over Park Ji Sung credit cards.

It'll help pay for Kagawa's fee :p With the money from him, Gibson in January, Pogba, Fryers and those other two kids who left we'll soon have it paid off ;)

FootballFan

Perhaps I took it wrongly and saw it as you intimating you wouldn't want him, I guess I was already coming from such an angle because I'd just read people describe him as old, injury prone and a one season wonder. The guy's the best striker in the league, without question.

I apologise in advance if it wasn't you, but wasn't it you who just less than 24 hours ago said Jordi Alba cant be considered the best left back in the world because he has only had 1 good season with Valencia and a great Euro tournament? Now all of a sudden RVP who had 1 good season with Arsenal and a horrible Euro tournament is the best striker in the EPL ?

(btw I am not saying Jordi Alba is the best left back, Cole, Abidal and a few others are just as good if not better)

edit
I see this was settled in a agree to disagree manner :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sborry! God, we must stop buying all these USELESS players. Can't believe we spent 12M€ for fucking Martinez and about the same for Elia. That's 24M€ + wages for ... nothing, absolutely nothing. At least Krasic had a great first half of his first season with us.
iZZg8RW6bZoWL.gif

We should stop buying wingers all together.

Arnie

I apologise in advance if it wasn't you, but wasn't it you who just less than 24 hours ago said Jordi Alba cant be considered the best left back in the world because he has only had 1 good season with Valencia and a great Euro tournament? Now all of a sudden RVP who had 1 good season with Arsenal and a horrible Euro tournament is the best striker in the EPL ?

(btw I am not saying Jordi Alba is the best left back, Cole, Abidal and a few others are just as good if not better)

You're correct and it's an astute point, but I feel there's a difference in the two because Van Persie has been a fantastic striker for more than one season (this whole idea that he's a one season wonder is a fabrication, a myth), and secondly because it's conceivable, in that only Rooney and Aguero get anywhere close. With Alba I can easily say, without hesitation, that there are better left backs in the world, such as, Cole, Lahm, etc.

If the argument was Alba being the best left back in La Liga you might have a point.

Yen

RVP has been great for years(5), last year was the first he stayed fully fit all year.

Arnie

Surely Modric is just Alonso v2

More mobile and intricate, less consistent and commanding. Would definitely fit as a long term replacement, although so would Sahin, so I don't really see why they're going for him. It's clear that Mourinho likes to play a more defensive minded player besides the deep playmaker, like Khedira, so that doesn't leave much room for Modric to play regular football.

Lightning

Banned
Bielsa false alarm, Bielsa false alarm, I repeat, Bielsa false alarm.

At least until another outlet reports the contrary.

That's the second time I've been swizzed by Marca in two days. Lesson learnt.
So what's the story here? Everything I'm getting in this story is written in Spanish and I can't read spanish.

I can only read english and dutch.

MPW

Would Modric have a starting place at Madrid or be played in rotation with Ozil, Khedira, and Alonso?

doubt it

but alonso will be 31 soon and he has been playing non stop ever since we bought him so modric would give madrid another option and will not be forced to play alonso every single game, let him rest and start in the big games

Arnie

So what's the story here? Everything I'm getting in this story is written in Spanish and I can't read spanish.

AS are reporting that he hasn't left the club at all, contrary to Marca. Can't read Spanish either so I'm just seeing it translated in bits on Twitter.
Hope this is a picture from 2007, and not one taken today. Eep. Fuck off, rain.

I have an Arbourthorne community police support officer on Twitter who says he can't go home until the flood warnings disappear, which isn't good. I'm not there at the moment so I don't know what the weather's like but I assume it's dreadful. Just slight drizzle in Preston.

Meier

ESPN have a story up about it as well but they attributed it to "reports."

Reports in Spain suggest that Athletic Bilbao manager Marcelo Bielsa has resigned after the club failed to support him over an altercation with construction staff.

Bielsa returned for pre-season training ahead of the 2012-13 season to find the club's Lezama training centre resembling a construction site and was involved in a furious row with construction staff.

"The condition of Lezama is an insult to the players and I am responsible for them," Bielsa explained. "I was indignant because that was not recognised and began to say offensive things. I don't respect him because he did a bad job."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...bilbao-manager-marcelo-bielsa-resigns?cc=5901

Bumhead

Banned
I have an Arbourthorne community police support officer on Twitter who says he can't go home until the flood warnings disappear, which isn't good. I'm not there at the moment so I don't know what the weather's like but I assume it's dreadful. Just slight drizzle in Preston.

It's not been raining here for a couple of hours, at least where I am, but it was slating it down pretty much all day. Added to all the other rain we've had recently and it builds up. The problem now isn't so much the rain (which I think is forecast again tomorrow anyway), but the rain water rolling down from the Pennines and hills around the City, which is going to make sure the river level don't subside any time soon at the very best. At worst, they'll carry on rising even if it doesn't rain.

Or so I'm told. I'm no expert. Just worried about our season if the pitch gets submerged again. I always work right next to the river but naturally I'm not too fussed about that.. heh.

City have paid Wayne Bridge £18,720,000 in wages over the last 4 years.

Thanks Hughes you silly dick.

You're also heavily subsiding his wages to go and play at Brighton as well, right?

dc89

Yes. We'll be paying at least £80k of his wages. All I can say is thank god he is in the last year of his contract.

£10m transfer fee
£23m in wages over 5 years

Total spent on Bridge = £33m

Likelihood of City letting him go for nothing - certain.

LOL Man City LOL

lol at us indeed.

Arnie

Yeah but apparently you have a wage structure.

We can have a laugh and all because it is a monumental fuck up, as are the wages we're dolling out to the likes of Aquilani and Cole, but it has to be said, City are a well run club. You'd give your left nut to have United run in a similar manner, and I'm not talking about spunking vast sums of money up the wall for players and you know it.

Is there any truth to the Twitter rumour that Spurs are being bought by Qatari billionaires?
Would fit with Alan Brazil's supposed scoop the other day, even though I don't believe that was revealed.

Meier

You're also heavily subsiding his wages to go and play at Brighton as well, right?

Most of the Hughes signings that haven't panned out and have resulted in multiple yearly loans have apparently been primarily paid by City if not entirely. I believe in Swiss Ramble's (is that right?) rundown of how City can beat FFP, he indicated these could essentially be written off when the time comes at least.

We can have a laugh and all because it is a monumental fuck up, as are the wages we're dolling out to the likes of Aquilani and Cole, but it has to be said, City are a well run club. You'd give your left nut to have United run in a similar manner, and I'm not talking about spunking vast sums of money up the wall for players and you know it.
In what aspects would you say City are well run?

(I'm not disagreeing btw - just interested to see the comparison you're trying to get at)

rififi

AS are reporting that he hasn't left the club at all, contrary to Marca. Can't read Spanish either so I'm just seeing it translated in bits on Twitter.

Marca now updated reporting the same as AS.

It seems the Bielsa did decide/planned to leave earlier today (most likely a reaction from Athletic giving more public support to the construction company than to him - maybe he felt unappreciated), but has now decided to continue at Athletic . . . for now.

Must be nice to have an abundance of money so that you can buy your own football club. Don't know why you'd want the Spurs though[/QUOTE]London club, big attraction.

Definitely "on the market" so to speak and you don't have to do an insane amount of work to get them competitive. Already a well run operation with some possibility for growth. Quite appealing I think.

Arnie

In what aspects would you say City are well run?

(I'm not disagreeing btw - just interested to see the comparison you're trying to get at)

Commercially, most of all. They're not just interested in spending the money they have, they're interested in investing it in self sustainability, be it through developing their own top talent at a state of the art youth complex, or balancing the books as far as getting rid of players and wages before bringing new ones in, something especially commendable when you've got the temptation to just spend money as and when you feel like it.

Perhaps the comparison wasn't fair, because there's not a whole lot that City do that United don't, I meant you'd give your left nut to be in City's situation in regards to overpaying for wank talent like Bridge, than floating your entire club on the stock market.

There's also a comparison in that City's owners came in with the intention to build a healthy and successful club; United's completely disregarded the former, went straight for the latter, and all in the search of profit.

If that Spurs rumour is true then the Premier League just got a degree more frightening.

Marca now updated reporting the same as AS.

It seems the Bielsa did decide/planned to leave earlier today (most likely a reaction from Athletic giving more public support to the construction company than to him - maybe he felt unappreciated), but has now decided to continue at Athletic . . . for now.
Sounds pretty fractious to me.

Arnie

Equally true. Just reading the rumour made me sigh. When your club is bankrolled by $40 billion then what's the point for the rest of us? FFP can't come soon enough. UEFA better fucking stick to it.

Imagine if/when the Arsenal board crack to Usmanov? I wouldn't like it personally but it doesn't look like he will go away anytime soon.
Don't think that's happening anytime soon, it's against Wenger's philosophies as much as Kroenke's.

K1LLER7

Just seen that Park's leaving ;( (I'm guessing nobody wants Bebe or Anderson)

£5m will be a good deal though this will definately impact United and its support in asia. I'll never forget his performances against Arsenal both in the league and CL, as well as the contribution he made in helping United win the CL.

Commercially, most of all. They're not just interested in spending the money they have, they're interested in investing it in self sustainability, be it through developing their own top talent at a state of the art youth complex, or balancing the books as far as getting rid of players and wages before bringing new ones in, something especially commendable when you've got the temptation to just spend money as and when you feel like it.

Perhaps the comparison wasn't fair, because there's not a whole lot that City do that United don't, I meant you'd give your left nut to be in City's situation in regards to overpaying for wank talent like Bridge, than floating your entire club on the stock market.

There's also a comparison in that City's owners came in with the intention to build a healthy and successful club, United's completely disregarded the former, went straight for the latter and all in the search for profit. .
Well it depends how you look at it really.

As a football club which aims to be successful, they are run wonderfully with strong investment in both the short and long term.

From a business/commercial viewpoint, I don't think it's a template for others to follow exactly. There is massive over-spending and a top heavy balance sheet which requires massive losses like those on Bridge to be corrected. I mean it's not bad, they are trying to grow and they are trying to correct their mistakes, which is all good stuff...just not sure it's a wonderful operation which deserves massive plaudits. They are just doing what any sensible person would do really...thinking about the future, getting rid of waste, and I am sure later on this summer they will show they are still interested in the short-term side of things too.

Anyway, it's a moot point because of the resources they have. Anybody with such strong resources can do this type of thing. I agree they deserve credit because they haven't fallen foul to just spend spend spend a bit like Abramovich did at Chelsea though...but I have to say, I do wonder how much FFP plays a part in that. I'm not sure, their plans are good for the complex around the ground etc.

I'd love to be run like City...well, tbh, not really, not on a day to day basis, because day to day MUFC is fine. I'd just love the £1bn donation. MUFC is a remarkably well run club all in spite of it's debt. Of course the debt is there and I'd rather be in City's position if I had to pick, no doubt...but when it comes to the business side of things, City have a long way to go really, MUFC can't get much better...they just need somebody to get rid of their debt, hence IPO.

Maybe this sounds bitter...maybe I am...but as somebody who's quite interested in football finance, I dunno, City doesn't strike me as a case of a fantastically well run club, just because they have resources which make it very very easy to run. Spurs are a truly well run club with an almost perfect balance between football and finance, living within it's means and growing steadily. All by it's own merit, that's quite commendable - and the way things are going it might be about to pay off for them.

Edit - Final point about sustainability. City won't be a self sustainable club for at least another 5 years IMO, probably closer to 10...and even then they will have done well to get there without any "friendly" deals. Not sure that's exactly good business either. The club will be dependent on outside investment for years...again, easy to do when you have the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom