• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

immy

Banned
Well yes it does matter. What message is it sending to the rest of our squad. Perform well so you can get your pay day somewhere else? This is the situation that needs to come to an end and it's happening because of our wage structure but that is the main reason why I feel Arsenal need to bite the bullet and make an example out of RVP and hold him to his contract and give him a year of crap. Simply selling him off to the highest bidder which is what we are most likely to do is the wrong thing to do as next year it's Wilshere, year after that Chamberlain etc... and where does it end? That is the problem we are faced with and we shouldn't be in a position where we need to sell our best players every year.

Yeah I'm not saying your current strategy is the right one, I agree it's not working. I hope you guys change it around. Always had a soft spot for arsenal.

Kyoufu

Ok guys but where do you think you're going to finish?

There's no way to make a reasonable prediction without knowing who we have/don't have for the start of the season. Silly question.

You can ask again when the transfer window ends.

Ok guys but where do you think you're going to finish?

This season coming? If the squad stays the way it is at the minute probably 7th. If we can add a couple more top players and keep them fit there's no reason why we can't finish 6th or even 5th again.

faridmon

Well for starters, we didn't just do 'OK' we did pretty fucking amazing considering the position we were in a couple of seasons ago, and immy saying we have no chance of Champions League is daft. We were incredibly close last season and we'll only get stronger.

The problem is that other teams are really going to strengthen next season which will pull us down to about 6th,7th or 8th. Does that negate last season as a fluke? No, of course not. We had the season we did through fantastic team spirit, performances and business decisions.

I'm fucking delighted in how we are doing as a club at the minute, no one could have dreamed of this a few years back. We're not getting carried away and saying we'll be challenging for Champions League again next season, but tell me why, in a few more seasons, why we can't if we keep playing the way we played all through last season.

The fact that Newcastle have done so well should have prompt a more thoughtful expectations. Yes you guys did well. However, some of the comments that are coming from some of the (few) vocal fans that are rather silly in a sense that they are punching above their weight and undermining other teams. This arrogance is not just acceptable. Yes, you can be proud, but cursing a player to go to a bigger club that Newcastle is just flat out insane. One season does not make a pattern of the future. I regret to say but, you can only look at us to see the evidence. Not the arrogance part (although we did play that for a while) but for the hope to do it again in the season after that.

Evidently, you are not one of them. I can see that you are proud (and rightly so) and have some aspiring hope of your team doing well yet again next season. So this rant is not aimed at you. I just abhor some thoughtless comments that never have any rationality behind it. De Jong does not want to come to your club? no shit, he doesn't even know where Newcastle is!

The thing is, If I may say so, I don't think Newcastle will do as well next season as you may hope for. There are far bigger fries(?) in the pond now and you will have less teams underwhelming this year than the last one. I think the clubs will use resources to aim higher and the bigger those resources are the more successful they will be and unfortunate for you, I don't think Newcastle does not have those big resources like the other ''bigger'' clubs.

And then there is us to compete with;)

Arnie

There's no way to make a reasonable prediction without knowing who we have/don't have for the start of the season. Silly question.

You can ask again when the transfer window ends.

Exactly, and even then it's almost impossible to calculate when you're around this area of the table. Many thought Liverpool were going to stick with the pack last season, and they looked solid(if unspectacular) up until Christmas, but nobody could've predicted the insane drop in form following it. It wasn't solely tied to the playing squad, it was more a mental thing.

Exactly, and even then it's almost impossible to calculate when you're around this area of the table. Many thought Liverpool were going to stick with the pack last season, and they looked solid(if unspectacular) up until Christmas, but nobody could've predicted the insane drop in form following it. It wasn't solely tied to the playing squad, it was more a mental thing.

Kenny-Dalglish-Liverpool--007.jpg

faridmon

It's the french accent. My weakness.

I'm mainly looking forward to Marvel. All the Japanese players are there.
Fair enough. I am really enraged by the Marvel news to be interested in its tourney fights. F U Capcom.

Hang on, do you see that Tokido and Daigo are playing that as well?

Bloody hell, another perfect round from an Ibuki player. Ibuki representin' real hard this year. Also Dat EX Anti-air grab from Abel earlier.

Damn, I am loving it this year!

immy

Banned
This season coming? If the squad stays the way it is at the minute probably 7th. If we can add a couple more top players and keep them fit there's no reason why we can't finish 6th or even 5th again.

Yeah that sounds reasonable/realistic. Which is why I didn't understand the de jong thing (I know you didn't say it). Who would turn down a more prestigious for job, for one less so?

Kyoufu

It's true that we can't compete with oil money, but you don't need oil money for a top 6 finish.

At the end of the day, smart business prevails. Selling Carroll for 35 million and buying a better striker for a third of that price did wonders for us.

Sloosha

Fair enough. I am really enraged by the Marvel news to be interested in its tourney fights. F U Capcom.

Hang on, do you see that Tokido and Daigo are playing that as well?

Tokido and Daigo aren't great at Marvel. The Japenese players to watch are Chou and Abegen (My low-tier hero). Apparently MarlinPie has just discovered some new broken tech - which is pretty worrying since Capcom said that there will be no more balance patches.

Did you just see Haitani. So good.

Arnie

His drop of form from 10/11 to 11/12 was unreal. I blame it mostly on his transfers though, he tried to change too much what didn't need changing, only upgrading.

He abandoned our style in pursuit of some idealistic British fantasy that was never going to happen. Perhaps good banter around the training ground could propel a team to glory like when Blackburn won the league, but in the modern game it's less of an asset than genuine technical ability.

Despite that though, and the money he wasted, he still came in and saved us from the shower of shite that was Roy Hodgson, and he brought me genuine joy in the process. I paid for games and came away ecstatic, happy, buzzing to be an LFC fan. That game against United was worth £100 million to me anyway, as were the constant Everton drubbings.

Love Kenny, screw the haters.

Fry

Despite that though, and the money he wasted, he still came in and saved us from the shower of shite that was Roy Hodgson, and he brought me genuine joy in the process. I paid for games and came away ecstatic, happy, buzzing to be an LFC fan. That game against United was worth £100 million to me anyway, as were the constant Everton drubbings.

The matches against both mancs were fantastic, so were the cup runs. Some matches seemed lost until Bellamy or Kuyt would score a late winner. It was really impressive.

Arnie

The matches against both mancs were fantastic, so were the cup runs. Some matches seemed lost until Bellamy or Kuyt would score a late winner. It was really impressive.

That Gerrard free kick against United was a moment of absolute ecstasy. Was sat up in the gods in the main stand and at one point I thought I was going to fall down about 10 rows when the ball hit the net. Had a mate in the United end who I'd identified before kick off through his distinguishable bolt blue hoody, made the whole thing sweeter. Shame we conceded, we were the better side that day, but I didn't come away gutted because it was proof that our team could challenge with the best on their game.

Fry

That Gerrard free kick against United was a moment of absolute ecstasy. Was sat up in the gods in the main stand and at one point I thought I was going to fall down about 10 rows when the ball hit the net. Had a mate in the United end who I'd identified before kick off through his distinguishable bolt blue hoody, made the whole thing sweeter. Shame we conceded, we were the better side that day, but I didn't come away gutted because it was proof that our team could challenge with the best on their game.

Yup, seeing Gerrard scoring against United is something special. Especially when he kisses the camera!

Kyoufu

Watching Liverpool beat City in the cup and us at Anfield just before the new year was impressive. It fell apart right after though.

Yeah that sounds reasonable/realistic. Which is why I didn't understand the de jong thing (I know you didn't say it). Who would turn down a more prestigious for job, for one less so?

I can certainly see the immediate advantages or a young striker to jump into Champions League football, I do however think the Premier League is the best league in the world and can see why the prospect of playing in a young, exciting team with a great history would also be appealing.

I think De Jong would be a great signing for us but I understand why he chose Gladbach over us. I think it came down to Champions League vs Premier league and he chose CL. Fair enough.

The fact that Newcastle have done so well should have prompt a more thoughtful expectations. Yes you guys did well. However, some of the comments that are coming from some of the (few) vocal fans that are rather silly in a sense that they are punching above their weight and undermining other teams. This arrogance is not just acceptable. Yes, you can be proud, but cursing a player to go to a bigger club that Newcastle is just flat out insane. One season does not make a pattern of the future. I regret to say but, you can only look at us to see the evidence. Not the arrogance part (although we did play that for a while) but for the hope to do it again in the season after that.

Evidently, you are not one of them. I can see that you are proud (and rightly so) and have some aspiring hope of your team doing well yet again next season. So this rant is not aimed at you. I just abhor some thoughtless comments that never have any rationality behind it. De Jong does not want to come to your club? no shit, he doesn't even know where Newcastle is!

The thing is, If I may say so, I don't think Newcastle will do as well next season as you may hope for. There are far bigger fries(?) in the pond now and you will have less teams underwhelming this year than the last one. I think the clubs will use resources to aim higher and the bigger those resources are the more successful they will be and unfortunate for you, I don't think Newcastle does not have those big resources like the other ''bigger'' clubs.

And then there is us to compete with;)

I doubt Kyoufu is being 100% serious with some of his comments. I've said above why I think De Jong will choose Gladbach over us. I don't think it's ridiculous to wonder why though, we're very similar clubs really (stadium capacity is about the same, we finished 5th, them 4th etc etc).

I disagree that there is far bigger fries(?) in the pond now than last season though. The only club I think we finished above last season that we can't realistically hope for again this season is Chelsea. Liverpool and Everton will strengthen sure, but Liverpool are still in a very rocky time at the minute. I don't think it's ridiculous to assume we can finish above those two again seeing as we'll also strengthen.

As for Arsenal and Spurs, they are also going through transitional periods at the minute. Spurs have just lost a manager that really helped create the top 4 side they are today and replaced him with an unproven Premier League manager, there's also the chance they'll lose Modric and Adebayor so I think next season will be a tough one for them. They could finish anywhere between 4th and 7th for me.

Same with Arsenal really, they seem very un-stabalized at the minute, Wenger is surely in the last few seasons as manager and they're losing RVP. Again, it's going to be a tough season for them and who knows what will happen.

Overall my point is I think the top 3 are locked in this season (City, United and Chelsea). As for 4th-8th it's pretty wide open and compared to other teams that will be fighting for those spots higher up we've got stability (its fucking crazy saying that as a Toon fan :lol. I'd say Everton have that stability too). I honestly see no reason why we can't finish above Liverpool and Everton again and give Spurs and Arsenal runs for their money.

immy

Banned
Is that is actual team? Okay. I thought that was to support their promotion to the PL.

Yeah I don't really talk about them as I doubt anyone cares.

Yeah willkiller I think our different views may be due to league preference. i don't really like the hit and rush approach of PL that much anymore

faridmon

Haitani and Uryo are my favorites. Uryo because he uses my main, Sakura. Also will root for Infiltration and Poongko for Korean pride.

I haven't seen Uryo play yet. Everyone keeps talking about him and I missed his fight :(
How long do you think the AE fights are going to last? Its 1 O'clock already and I am really sleepy.

Yeah I don't really talk about them as I doubt anyone cares.

I care :( but you seem to ignore my question...

I'll also add it's extremely likely we'll not be losing Ba and Cisse to the ACON this year seeing as it's Senegal vs Ivory Coast for a place in it :D

Kyoufu

I'll also add it's extremely likely we'll not be losing Ba and Cisse to the ACON this year seeing as it's Senegal vs Ivory Coast for a place in it :D

We also have Saylor back. We were one of the best defensive sides in the league when he wasn't injured last season. After the Chelsea game we leaked goals :(

immy

Banned
I haven't seen Uryo play yet. Everyone keeps talking about him and I missed his fight :(
How long do you think the AE fights are going to last? Its 1 O'clock already and I am really sleepy.

Agh sorry must have missed it.

Carbonox

Heh, Roma asked about Santon recently. Newcastle naturally told them to fuck off. Santon was impressive in the second half of last season and I can't wait to see how he does next season.

Sloosha

It's only 5:30 here on the west coast, so basically a lot longer. I don't know how much they are going to get done tonight.

That Bayern shirt is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom