• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

HOLY SHIT! WHAT A LAST EFFORT @ EVO
KuGsj.gif

Slizz

I'm keeping my expectations in check for TDKR after TDK was... decent and Inception was awful.

I wouldn't go that far on Inception but I've learned that sometimes GAF can ruin TV Shows and Movies pretty easily with the mass hype surrounding them.

I enjoyed Inception and saw it pretty recently after it came out. TDK I managed to not see it till it came out on DVD and was a bit let down, still a good movie though.

jtb

Banned
Inception is an awful mess of a film. it wasn't ruined by the hype, it was ruined by, among other things, being horribly incoherent, not having any characters, not having a plot, lacking emotional resonance and Nolan's shitty shitty script.

You don't like Nolan very much, do ya? :(

nah, I like Nolan. hardly one of my favorite directors but Batman Begins, the Prestige, Memento - all quality films. but the hyperbolic critical and commercial success of the Dark Knight (which led to everyone treating his previous films as much better than they actually are) led to WB giving him too much freedom, I think. he's a solid director (who's horrible at shooting action), and an abysmal story/screenwriter-type.

Inception really demonstrated that, I think. It's a very limited film that pretends its far more complex than it actually is, and even in that very limited field—it still fails. maybe its unfair to compare Nolan to one of the greatest screenwriters of a generation, but just look at how effortlessly themes of memory and dreams were tackled, while still providing you a quality movie to watch, in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (or hell, the Matrix) and compare that to the heavy handed exposition overload found in Inception. you could kind of see that in Memento too; it's a film built around a gimmick. once you've seen it once, there's no reason to ever watch it again.

it's not a slant against Nolan, so much as it is his handlers, since only the greatest directors (and... James Cameron :lol) can really succeed with total freedom and succeed in tackling those big ideas. I don't think Nolan is a director that deals well with big ideas, but when it comes to straightforward material that doesn't have delusions of greatness, then he's fine.

Inception and TDK are IMO both fantastic. I don't know much about how movies should be shot or written but I loved both and have seen both several times and still love em. Screw you guys.

Lightning

Banned
Ok guys so I've just finished up and published that Spurs/Benitez article I've been writing between watching tennis/wanking over Suso/drinking tea.

I'd love it if you guys could give it a look, criticise it, point me towards any errors and prepare it for when I inevitably try to whore it out as much as possible tomorrow. It's not perfect, and I accept there's an element of Liverpool bias, but I feel it's generally on the money.

Obviously I'd love the Spurs guys opinions if they haven't gone to bed, although I fear Bungie's on holiday and I haven't seen the others on here today.
Element of Liverpool bias? Hahahahaha there is a bit more than a element of bias there.

I agree that AVB got his tactics wrong at Chelsea but don't agree that Benitez would be a safer choice for Spurs. AVB is an attack minded coach who goes in search of goals and wants to play attractive football whereas Chelsea are not use to that and had adaptation problems. The fact that there were so many off field issues clearly affected their on field performances. Chelsea's players are also known for being egotists who seem to think themselves better than they really are and many managers have suffered because of it. After all, it's not just Abramovich's fault but the players as well that Chelsea have such a crazy turnover off managers and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon.

Spurs however should have a much easier time adjusting to AVB's style of play and don't have a squad full of ageing players that Chelsea do, who are ego maniacs to boot, therefore there shouldn't be the back room bickering that hampered AVB's time at Chelsea. The main reason I feel AVB's tactics didn't work for Chelsea is that they were not used to such free flowing attacking football which Spurs are capable off and displayed under Harry Redknapp who also made tactical errors.

Good article but I don't completely agree with it. I feel AVB will be a success at Spurs and they have a manager who knows what he is doing in the transfer market and plays the type of football that suits Spurs. Inter showed that Benitez is a risky proposition as well.

Arnie

Element of Liverpool bias? Hahahahaha there is a bit more than a element of bias there.

I agree that AVB got his tactics wrong at Chelsea but don't agree that Benitez would be a safer choice for Spurs. AVB is an attack minded coach who goes in search of goals and wants to play attractive football whereas Chelsea are not use to that and had adaptation problems. The fact that there were so many off field issues clearly affected their on field performances. Chelsea's players are also known for being egotists who seem to think themselves better than they really are and many managers have suffered because of it. After all, it's not just Abramovich's fault but the players as well that Chelsea have such a crazy turnover off managers and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon.

Spurs however should have a much easier time adjusting to AVB's style of play and don't have a squad full of ageing players that Chelsea do, who are ego maniacs to boot, therefore there shouldn't be the back room bickering that hampered AVB's time at Chelsea. The main reason I feel AVB's tactics didn't work for Chelsea is that they were not used to such free flowing attacking football which Spurs are capable off and displayed under Harry Redknapp who also made tactical errors.

Good article but I don't completely agree with it. I feel AVB will be a success at Spurs and they have a manager who knows what he is doing in the transfer market and plays the type of football that suits Spurs. Inter showed that Benitez is a risky proposition as well.

I see what Benitez has done in the Premier League and the Champions League as a greater indication of potential success than AVB's single season at Porto. Both managers are gambles, as I say, and both failed when presented with ageing squads whilst still under Mourinho's shadow. That's what the article boils down to, in essence.

I dont' agree that AVB's football somehow fits Spurs better than Benitez's would. If anything Benitez's 4-2-3-1 system is closer to what Spurs currently possess than AVB's 4-3-3. And when Benitez built his squad at Liverpool he did so with relatively young players, like Garcia, Alonso, Pepe and Torres. I'd agree that perhaps AVB is more stable in the transfer market, less prone to your random Josemi buys, or your Morientes fuck ups.

Meier

I forgot to post this earlier.. did you guys see the kit Vinnie posted on Twitter? I'm not sure if it's the 3rd kit or just for training or what.. I like it though! Not sure what the little thing over the Umbro logo on the shorts and below it on the shirt is meant to represent..

Purple MCFC kit! 14 years I played for Anderlecht and I spend them all wearing purple, kind of making me nostalgic. :) pic.twitter.com/LVxDiPuu
https://twitter.com/VincentKompany/status/221191137766027264/photo/1

Clegg

MiguelDelaney
Not really news, this, but United looking to clear out Anderson next after Park to free wages etc for summer activity.

Delaney is one of the more reliable journos when it come transfer stuff.

GorillaJu

Anderson and Bosingwa are perfect examples of Porto's ridiculous transfer market ability. Can't believe they got €30m for Anderson and how much was it for Bosswinga? 28 or something?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I know most probably don't care but I am excited to read that my local club DC United is getting new investors. DCU is the most decorated club in MLS and I regret not following the team earlier in my life. For years we've had incompetent management and owners with little money. The club has desperately needed a new stadium due to losing money while playing at RFK and the crumbling status of the stadium. There have been threats to move the team to Baltimore. With new investors I won't have to worry about my club moving away and will look forward to having a new home for the team.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/st...inority-owners-purchase-dc-united-mls-sources

qindarka

Banned
Anderson and Bosingwa are perfect examples of Porto's ridiculous transfer market ability. Can't believe they got €30m for Anderson and how much was it for Bosswinga? 28 or something?

They got 16 million pounds for Bosingwa and for a while, it looked a good deal for Chelsea. In his first season, he was one of the best right backs in the world, excelling both offensively and defensively. it was only after his lengthy injury sustained in 09/10 that he became the liability we all know and love.

GorillaJu

I want you to keep him.

Edit: just got a chance to play a few rounds of the Persona 4 arena game with some middle school girl at an electronics store. Guess today Atlas is promoting it around Japan. Anyone here into fighting games? This ones fun.

Badass. The tears from the Anderson-boosters on Redcafe will be divine.

WHY DIDN'T WE GIVE HIM A CHAAAANCE

Five years was enough. In some ways, he was unlucky, I suppose - with the injuries and needing to adapt to a deeper position. But even if the talent is there, it's time we moved on and targeted some consistent midfielders. Anderson gone, Fletcher perma-crocked, Scholes in his twilight: that leaves us with Carrick, Cleverley, and (hopefully) Moutinho looking forward. Jones might play a few games here and there, but I worry about his technique on the ball under pressure. Powell and Kagawa can play at the tip of a three. Petrucci, Larnell Cole and Tunnicliffe likely another season away from contention. Not so bad, actually. Want to say we should bring in two new midfielders, not just (hopefully!) Moutinho, but it could work, especially if we're playing half our games with a midfield three, and we're not blind in the market when Scholes retires.

Salazar

Yeah, shifting Park and (probably) Anderson makes me think there is definitely an appropriate level of determination about making a killer midfield signing this window.

Salazar

Dunno.

I have my doubts we get Moutinho, but I think we're going to make serious offers. And maybe bump up over 25, at least.

I just hope we don't go to Newcastle for Tiote or Cabaye. I don't think the former is good enough, and I think the latter is an asshole, as well as perhaps not being quite good enough for what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom