• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

I saw David Platt before the Newcastle game, but that's it.

Platt seems like a nice guy. It was in that game you mentioned where he though a goal happened and celebrated prematurely - the gif was glorious as his face completely changed *right as he* passes behind Mancini :p

Salazar

Heh according to The Independent, a £10m deal for Carroll can't be ruled out for Newcastle, with Fulham and SHOCKING NEWS West Ham interested. I might call up some random fool at that shit club and say that I'm good enough to play pro football and I bet you they would even be interested in signing me. Clueless shites.

I can just see Big Sam getting Big Andy's attention midgame, in between lanky knockdowns, and mouthing

You complete me.

Arnie

I know. He's awesome and I'd love him at Liverpool. The ubiquitous "buh buh he's not a German/Portugese/Uruguayan wunderkind!" mentality driving me insane.

Also, it would appear that Fabio Borini is now a Liverpool player. :D Guy who writes LFC Boston blog photographed with John Henry, then tweets "LFC Boston ‏@LFCBoston
Have it on the most soundest source possible that Liverpool have signed Fabio Borini. ‪#fb‬"
Yeaaaaaaaa

dc89

Platt seems like a nice guy. It was in that game you mentioned where he though a goal happened and celebrated prematurely - the gif was glorious as his face completely changed *right as he* passes behind Mancini :p

Yeah that is a funny gif.

Platt is a huge United fan in real life. A guy I know (obviously older than me, old enough to be my dad) grew up with him. They were childhood friends!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
tutjul11.jpeg

Allegri making his prediction for next season " Juventus have won 31 titles."

I'll make mine! You won't last another year with Milan.

I probably won't be seeing it until a month after release.

Me too :( I'll put everyone on ignore except for you then.

Salazar

Bob Cass ‏@Bob_Cass
Been monitoring all the transfer gossip. Will try to find out what's right or speculation but the MOS will get to know first.

Feel like Bob Cass is sat in his car eating one bacon and egg sandwich after another, with the radio tuned to TalkSport.

Prove me wrong, Bobbles.

elseanio

LFC site running a story on contract talks with Agger, Skrtel and Suarez. They must be pretty close to signing for the site to be talking about it

GorillaJu

What do you people think of Carroll -> West Ham as a potential transfer @ 15m? My thinking is that if it gets us a good striker or attacking midfielder who we wouldn't otherwise be able to buy, I'm all for it. As much as I support Carroll, it seems that he really doesn't fit in anything except a very specific style of play, and I wouldn't want to keep him around on the bench if it meant we could get a really class striker for 20m-ish.

Also, why on earth is everyone writing about Abramovich's plan to make Chelsea the "Barcelona of the PL?" Because they're buying a bunch of expensive highly rated foreigners? I would think they're much more akin to Real in playing style.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Roma boss Zdenek Zeman has reportedly given his club the green light to sell Fabio Borini to Liverpool.

unveiling of the official 2012/13 shirts! Watch the live streaming from 12.30pm

Topless lasses pls.

Fady K

Round up of some of today's rumors from the papers!

Berbatov - no offers yet for the guy, looking likely that he'll stay for another year
Liverpool are apparently lining up a big for a Celtic midfielder by the name of Ki Sung-Yueng
RVP now linked with Manchester United as well :p Furthermore, his future will be decided in the next few days they say.
AVB looks set to sign his former player at Porto, Moutinho.
Mourinho supposedly has his sight on David Silva .

More interesting for ManU fans is the rumor that an official bid for Lucas Moura has been made - 20 million pounds.
Less interesting for ManU fans are the rumors that Danny Welbeck may be leaving after contract talks stalled (yeah right).

This one's for DC - supposedly Mancini gets total control over transfers now.

For my fellow Barca and Chelsea pals here, Romeu may be heading back to the Catalans as they now need to fill the void left by Keita.
Sturridge is rumored to leave...IF Schuerrle joins the Blues.
Cabaye now targeted by Barcelona too supposedly.

Yeah that is a funny gif.

Platt is a huge United fan in real life. A guy I know (obviously older than me, old enough to be my dad) grew up with him. They were childhood friends!

Oh he was a United fan :0 Must be strange for him to make history with the other Manchester club instead ;D

Me too :( I'll put everyone on ignore except for you then.

Don't worry about me ;D I won't be able to see it in theaters till it comes out on mid-August.

GorillaJu

Roma boss Zdenek Zeman has reportedly given his club the green light to sell Fabio Borini to Liverpool.

Topless lasses pls.

<3 to both parts of this post

Plus in a recent interview he said he wants to stay at Liverpool.

He's been around long enough that Segura and Borrell should be like father figures to him. He speaks English and is well-liked, and has a good positive personality. I don't see him pulling a Pogba. I was super excited for him when the news came out that he signed his first professional contract at 17. He needs to get some minutes on the field. Joao Carlos and Marc Pelosi look almost ready, too.

Arnie

LFC site running a story on contract talks with Agger, Skrtel and Suarez. They must be pretty close to signing for the site to be talking about it
If we get all three to sign a new contract it'll be an amazing start to the new season.
What do you people think of Carroll -> West Ham as a potential transfer @ 15m? My thinking is that if it gets us a good striker or attacking midfielder who we wouldn't otherwise be able to buy, I'm all for it. As much as I support Carroll, it seems that he really doesn't fit in anything except a very specific style of play, and I wouldn't want to keep him around on the bench if it meant we could get a really class striker for 20m-ish.

Also, why on earth is everyone writing about Abramovich's plan to make Chelsea the "Barcelona of the PL?" Because they're buying a bunch of expensive highly rated foreigners? I would think they're much more akin to Real in playing style.
I'm in agreement. We can all support Carroll till we're blue in the face, but let's face it, he's far from ideal in terms of his skill set jiving with that Rodgers values. If sanctioning the sale of Carroll(even at a major loss) gets us enough money to buy a Sturridge or a Ramirez then I'm all for it. It's time to be decisive and move on.
Great news, Suso next please.
In my wildest dreams, got a horrible feeling he's going to run down his contract and get snapped up by some Spanish side.
Time to get excited.

GorillaJu

Carroll out at 15, and Sturridge in at 10 would be a very good bit of business (if one were to e generous and ignore Carroll's original few :D) We'd get an immediate impact.

The only thing is that Borini and Sturridge are not far off in terms of their playing style, and they both can play centrally or on the right of an attacking three.

I'd rather a left sided striker like Schurrle or Jovetic. Those two are obviously quite pricey though. Dempsey can play well on the left.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Carroll out at 15, and Sturridge in at 10 would be a very good bit of business (if one were to e generous and ignore Carroll's original few :D) We'd get an immediate impact.

The only thing is that Borini and Sturridge are not far off in terms of their playing style, and they both can play centrally or on the right of an attacking three.

I'd rather a left sided striker like Schurrle or Jovetic. Those two are obviously quite pricey though. Dempsey can play well on the left.

Borini scored 5 goals playing on the left ;)

+2 in mid, and 2 on the right.

joker-card.jpg

Salazar

More interesting for ManU fans is the rumor that an official bid for Lucas Moura has been made - 20 million pounds.
Less interesting for ManU fans are the rumors that Danny Welbeck may be leaving after contract talks stalled (yeah right).

We'll get Baineses and we'll like it.

Only if Fletch made a miraculous recovery and got back into the mix would Moura be a defensible way to spend that much money. We're not missing pace and creativity. I mean, a muppet always wants more, but you can't sensibly say that we are deficient in that respect.

Arnie

I believe Borini can play either left or right of the striker, and I'm confident that's the position we're wanting to play him. Sturridge is much quicker than both Borini and Suarez, he really would offer something different in that we can truly look to play in behind and rely on pace. Suarez isn't slow, and neither is Borini, but none of them are truly rapid like Sturridge is.

Phoenix's comment sent me into muppet overdrive mode so I went looking for said interview, and low and behold, just a few hours ago from an interview given at the European Championships Suso said:

Suso said:
"I hope I get some minutes & a chance to show what I can do. I'm really happy at the club & I want to stay."

If I was in muppet mode prior to the interview, I'm in muppet heaven now.

We'll get Baineses and we'll like it.
You better; I've been a huge fan of Baines for years, irritates me up the wall when I hear people referring to him like some sort of birth mark.

To be fair I imagine a similar sort of reaction from people when I outline my disdain for Dempsey.

Arnie

Don't let him break your heart, Arnie. Don't you let him.

I've got a failsafe plan to prevent total annihilation, should he fuck off to Mallorca.

jonjo500.jpg

I don't know man, in this INTERVIEW he seems like he wants to extend his contract.
Yea man, see my update. I'm sky high right now. When my brother used to smoke a lot of weed, and I used to vilify him for it, he'd taunt me with the phrase, "I don't need drugs, I'm high on life". I feel like he was preparing me for this moment.

pappe

Carroll at 15mil seems a lil too high, especially for a team that is just out of relegation. Though West Hams play style and Carroll are a perfect fit for each other.

Round up of some of today's rumors from the papers!

Berbatov - no offers yet for the guy, looking likely that he'll stay for another year
:( Poor guy. he deserves better than this.

RVP now linked with Manchester United as well :p Furthermore, his future will be decided in the next few days they say.
The more i read about the going ons over there, the more it seems that RVP is just pulling a Rooney in order to get a MASSIVE Contract.

Mourinho supposedly has his sight on David Silva .
If this is true, I dont think City will let Silva leave easily and Real would have to pay crazy amount of $

Never seen Lucas play but Brazilians are always hyped through the roof. Dunno how i should feel about this. Welbeck wont leave. He is not good enough for other top sides yet and i dont see why he would leave for a smaller club at this stage.

Bumhead

Banned
Andy Carroll, the worst transfer in history confirmed.

If Newcastle manage to sell Carroll for £35m then buy him back for £10m and makes a success of it there again then Pardew and Ashley deserve the keys to the City. Hilarious business.

Be interesting to see if this deal makes it off the back pages. Let the muppetry commence.

Linius

What's the weather like nowadays? Summers SUCK in the UAE, ~44 degrees celsius usually.

That's way too warm for me :p

At the moment the temperature is okayish. The thing is tough, if it gets warm here it's never that nice warmth you have in Spain for example. Over here it always get's so stuffy. And besides that, we only have a real summer for a couple of weeks. The last few winters we also had lots and lots of snow. And of course we have our fair share of rain.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

The world is a small place (I am not Fok but I do know him personally)

Huh, what? Fok is a forum, not a person :p

"You used 'black' because it was a feature of him you chose to pick out. Like Paddy Kenny is 'fat' & other people are ugly"

I'm sure Paddy Kenny is happy about this enquiry.

elseanio

I woulnd't let Andy go for £15m. The whole idea of his high transfer fee was that his contract was modest (anyone know what he's on?)

He wasn't the only player to under perform last season. I'd much rather fuck off Downing than Carroll

Salsa

guess who has the cutest daughter

tumblr_m6zjir1Cc81r9k1a0o1_400.gif
tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo2_250.gif

tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo3_250.gif
tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo4_250.gif

my mom was on a tv show the other day same day as Suarez so I went with her. Actually spent more time talking and laughing with his daughter (also met his wife), barely talked to him since he was basically being interviewed the whole time he was there plus I needed to head out to film school. Suarez actually asked to take a picture with my mom (she's a singer and she was on a popular childrens band way back), wich was pretty awesome. Still pretty neat situation, as I had guessed the dude's ridiculously humble.

faridmon

If Newcastle manage to sell Carroll for £35m then buy him back for £10m and makes a success of it there again then Pardew and Ashley deserve the keys to the City. Hilarious business.

Be interesting to see if this deal makes it off the back pages. Let the muppetry commence.

I agree, but I don't see Newcastle buying him back. That would just split the camp at Newcastle and the fans wouldn't like that. I honestly think he will stay at Liverpool. Can not see anyone splashing 20M for him after the poor season he had. I could see QPR or West Ham readying around 15M because they are quite daft with their money, but I can't see Liverpool taking a 20M hit on him.

Bumhead

Banned
"You used 'black' because it was a feature of him you chose to pick out. Like Paddy Kenny is 'fat' & other people are ugly"

I'm sure Paddy Kenny is happy about this enquiry.

Ghahaha.

I met Kenny once or twice when he was at The Pork through a friend of a friend. He's actually alright about stuff like that, takes the banter very well. Good job really, the fat piggy Scunthorpe.

Carbonox

I honestly want this to happen. I still regard Carroll highly as I've seen what he can really do in his prime (at least his prime during that moment in time, god knows how improved he would be by now had he stayed at Newcastle). There's still plenty of years and potential left with this guy. Irrelevant of how he was since (though his performances in the latter parts of the season and during the summer were great at times).

guess who has the cutest daughter

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6zjir1Cc81r9k1a0o1_400.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo2_250.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo3_250.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6y7gmnPTy1qeyeqzo4_250.gif[IMG]

my mom was on a tv show the other day same day as Suarez so I went with her. Actually spent more time talking and laughing with his daughter (also met his wife), barely talked to him since he was basically being interviewed the whole time he was there plus I needed to head out to film school. Suarez actually asked to take a picture with my mom (she's a singer and she was on a popular childrens band way back), wich was pretty awesome. Still pretty neat situation, as I had guessed the dude's ridiculously humble.[/QUOTE]

I still see him as a hero, even though Ajax started winning the Eredivisie again as soon as he left. I guess his attitude (back when everything was actually turning out as he wanted to) made me give him much credit. I still remember how he laughed at the public when they made clear he couldn't score.

Carbonox

Newcastle bosses are working with Demba Ba on a new contract (attempt number ?). Seems a smart move. Get the new contract done, sell him to PSG for 35m. :p

Oh and Jose Bosingwa is most likely going to be Debuchy's replacement at Lille, which should seal the deal for his move to Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom