• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

uhhhhhh this is something I'm really looking forward to. End of August when everyone's made their transfers, getting the new FIFA/Pro Evo and changing everyone's teams and formations; Liverpool with a cheeky 4-3-3 but with Carroll or Suarez up front? United with a 4-2-3-1 with Kagawa in CM or CAM? Chelsea with defenders?

SO DAMN HOT

After seeing him last year in a few games I am STOKED to see him in the PL. Although I hope he has a injury for November 10th beyond that i want to see him tear shit up.

Arnie

HNNNNNNNNNNNG

Someone bring Cavani to the PL!
rodgers_2670845.jpg

Luis Suarez, Liverpool's number 9?

I'm all for building a team around Suarez' attacking ability, and I think with Aquillani staying and Lucas returning, our midfield doesn't look like it needs as much investment. My concern is that with Kuyt gone, Maxi and Bellamy heavily linked with moves away, and now Carroll off, that only leaves Suarez, Cole, the youngsters and Downing (who I would rather see as cover for LB.)

Are we going to have the funds to cover that kind of an exodus? We lacked depth upfront last year anyway, and that's a massive ask of Rodgers without FSG assisting in funding.

We do need quality out wide, I think we're stacked well in the middle. If everyone's fit we've got a midfield triangle of Lucas, Gerrard and Aquilani. Up front we'd have Suarez and Borini. Swap out Carroll, bring in Sturridge. Make sure Glen and Enrique are bombing on. I think our squad's fine, we just dropped in form after christmas.

Arnie

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/11/andre-villas-boas-roman-abramovich-chelsea

I hope a lot of this AVB comments is lost in translation or taken out of context (and I am going to assume so given how awful sports journos are), because if not, he is coming across as a real twat.

I watched the video on the Spurs website and he came across as quite defensive and skittish, similar to how he presented himself at Chelsea. I get the feeling that he just doesn't feel comfortable in front of the media, or talking about his career.

I'm really glad that Rodgers is planning on giving the youngsters their chance. That is something I was never happy with when Daglish was there.
It's amazingly positive on that front so far. Shelvey new contract, Sterling talking about him in glowing terms on the website, Rodgers bigging up Suso.

Feorax

rodgers_2670845.jpg

We do need quality out wide, I think we're stacked well in the middle. If everyone's fit we've got a midfield triangle of Lucas, Gerrard and Aquilani. Up front we'd have Suarez and Borini. Swap out Carroll, bring in Sturridge. Make sure Glen and Enrique are bombing on. I think our squad's fine, we just dropped in form after christmas.

If we're offloading Carroll, apparently AC Milan have just sold Ibra and Silva to PSG for €65 million. If we can tempt AC Milan to part with a big wedge of that for Carroll, put it towards Cavani's transfer fee, and offer him Carroll's salary plus 20k per week on top ( saved from Kuyts wages), and the opportunity to play with Suarez week in, week out...

... I'm reaching a bit here aren't I?

elseanio

I watched the video on the Spurs website and he came across as quite defensive and skittish, similar to how he presented himself at Chelsea. I get the feeling that he just doesn't feel comfortable in front of the media, or talking about his career.

It's amazingly positive on that front so far. Shelvey new contract, Sterling talking about him in glowing terms on the website, Rodgers bigging up Suso.

He's probably looked at those players to take on loan to Swansea

pappe

If we're offloading Carroll, apparently AC Milan have just sold Ibra and Silva to PSG for €65 million. If we can tempt AC Milan to part with a big wedge of that for Carroll, put it towards Cavani's transfer fee, and offer him Carroll's salary plus 20k per week on top ( saved from Kuyts wages), and the opportunity to play with Suarez week in, week out...

But where would Messi fit in?

Arnie

Yes. Let's not lower ourselves to Kyoufu levels of muppetry here, Cavani isn't going to jump ship just so he can play with Suarez. Luckily it seems he won't be snapped up this summer, which gives us one more opportunity to secure Champions League football before Europe descends on his signature.
He's probably looked at those players to take on loan to Swansea
Hadn't thought about that, but it's a sound thought.

I believe Rodgers prior experience coaching the Chelsea youth team will really come in handy for us in regards to keeping our good young players satisfied.

I agree and that is something I've been really excited about. He just needs to offload Adam and Downing now.

Pretty sure it's been reported he asked for Sterling, but we refused

I believe he did. Actually Bolton and Swansea wanted him on a season long loan.

Arnie

Pretty sure it's been reported he asked for Sterling, but we refused
Glad on both points.
I agree and that is something I've been really excited about. he just needs to offload Adam and Downing now.
Spot on. I wouldn't feel particularly good about it as a fan, I feel we've dicked about with their careers, but it's for the good of the club. We can easily recoup the cost of Adam, and I'm sure a promoted club like Reading would love to have him. Can you imagine Guthrie and Adam in midfield, that's a pretty good combination for a newly promoted side.

pappe

I agree and that is something I've been really excited about. He just needs to offload Adam and Downing now.
Adam, Downing and Carroll. Probably the 3 worst transfers in the past 4-5 seasons. So much money wasted which could have been better utilised if they weren't hung up sticking to English players.

Adam, Downing and Carroll. Probably the 3 worst transfers in the past 4-5 seasons. So much money wasted which could have been better utilised if they weren't hung up sticking to English players.

I agree.

I find it quite funny that for an extra £3 million we could have gotten Mata which at the time wanted to come to Liverpool. According to Comolli, he was in deep talks about moving him to Anfield but pulled out because they wanted an English player and instead we ended up with Downing.

Spot on. I wouldn't feel particularly good about it as a fan, I feel we've dicked about with their careers, but it's for the good of the club. We can easily recoup the cost of Adam, and I'm sure a promoted club like Reading would love to have him. Can you imagine Guthrie and Adam in midfield, that's a pretty good combination for a newly promoted side.

I agree.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Not yet!

elseanio

I agree.

I find it quite funny that for an extra £3 million we could have gotten Mata which at the time wanted to come to Liverpool. According to Comolli, he was in deep talks about moving him to Anfield but pulled out because they wanted an English player and instead we ended up with Downing.

I agree.

Doubt that is true at all. Downing was bought because we used a system that thought Chances + Goal scorer = wins. It just didn't work for him.

A choice between Liverpool and Chelsea, at the time, there was only gonna be one winner. In the end, Mata has made the best choice for his career

Arnie

Very much agree.

FSG need to harbour some of the blame though; they were quick to push their sabermetrics system, and employ the man who sleeps with a print out of it under his pillow (Comolli). If you play with fire, you might get burnt. If you swim with sharks you could get bitten. If you buy players based on raw stats there's a good chance they'll under perform, relatively.

I can't tell you how much sounder I sleep at night knowing that Rodgers, and Rodgers primarily, is the one pushing and pulling the strings as far as our dealings in the transfer market go.

If Kenny and Comolli were still in charge I'd be at a constant defcon 3 this summer, expecting imminent Twitter bullshit about a £20 million bid for Huddlestone.

Trying his best.
Nope. You're selling Tevez and Ade and buying RVP. Book it.

City fans in their 2 man circle jerk talking about United's demise.

Liverpool fans on their knees for Suarez.

Wilbury back.

This place is horrid tonight.

Clegg

Does £50m for for Silva and Ibra seem a bit low to anyone else?

I know Ibra is 30 but he's still in the middle of a contract so would cost a fair bit. And Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders in the world. You'd have thought that Milan could get more for the 2 of them.

Maybe they need the money and are willing to sell for a bit less?

City fans in their 2 man circle jerk talking about United's demise.

Liverpool fans on their knees for Suarez.

Wilbury back.

This place is horrid tonight.
Don't think the sadistic auto-erotic asphyxiation circle jerk that is typical of man united fans doesn't contribute to the cesspool we've seen in here all too often lately.

ATF487

Does £50m for for Silva and Ibra seem a bit low to anyone else?

I know Ibra is 30 but he's still in the middle of a contract so would cost a fair bit. And Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders in the world. You'd have thought that Milan could get more for the 2 of them.

Maybe they need the money and are willing to sell for a bit less?

It's low in this transfer market bubble we're in, but I think that's about what they are worth, with maybe a small bulk discount.

We really need football back. I don't think the Olympics are gong to alleviate the frustrations of silly season at all.

Also, Arnie, there are no promises he won't be banned. A lot of the bans happen hours after the infraction

Arnie

Terrible grammar in that gif. Shameful that Arnie would ever consider posting it, tbh.

i dont know a lot about japanese culture tbf, i hear you're an expert.

Does anyone know if I can PM Evilore about the 'JT' situation and talk to him civilly, or will he ban me for just bringing it up?
Was a spoiler posted? Nobody should ever go to those threads.
Even if there was, it's no more of an excuse than if a player scored a goal against one of our teams, etc.

i dont know a lot about japanese culture tbf, i hear you're an expert.

Does anyone know if I can PM Evilore about the 'JT' situation and talk to him civilly, or will he ban me for just bringing it up?

Even if there was, it's no more of an excuse than if a player scored a goal against one of our teams, etc.
Confused.

I wouldn't do it, won't achieve anything, they've already made up their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom