• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I would love to sell players to Manchester United, Owen is a nice piece of business. :) For example, you guys could use Rafinha as RB back-up!

sell us this guy:

Manuel_Neuer.png

I think the real information that you're talking about is only ever going to be available if the club is listed on the London Stock Exchange. That £6 million figure has been widely reported, and you'd expect that when is agent is offering the player out to so many clubs his demands are going to be pretty well known.

And spin? Really?
Widely reported in football journalism means absolutely nothing. And if there is one part of football journalism that is even more farcical than the rest of it, it is the reporting of financial matters.

It's why I can't understand why so many people wreck their brains thinking about it, because we just never know what's true and what's not, no matter how widely it is or is not reported.

elsk

Banned
He'd burn down the training ground for god's sake. We'll take Schweinsteiger if you're offering though, cheers

or maybe not if he's still playing shit.

Gustavo? Martinez? not for 40m though, fuck that

Schweinsteiger renewed his contract at the end of the 10/11 season, after Manchester United tried to sign him. "Typical german", Fergie said haha.

You can also take Petersen, striker, clearly Manchester United material. ;)

jtb

Banned
Fabregas went back twice because he had years left on his contract. If he played phenomenally and then at the end of the season his contract was over, he wouldn't have signed a new one with Arsenal to guarantee them a transfer fee or anything, he would have moved straight to Barcelona. And everyone knew he wanted to go.

The van Persie statement let everyone know he wanted to go - but was done officially, formally and carefully worded as opposed to off hand remarks in every interview you have - and he had a year left on his contract. If he had three years left then Wenger can do what the fuck he wants when he wants. But with a year left and put in that position where the board and Wenger seem unable to be able to say to the man who has carried them all year into a European place that they'll be able to push on... I don't see how you can blame him.

He should have gone to Juventus and perhaps he would have to save face with the Arsenal fans. But once they made a derisory offer, that wasn't going to happen. Don't know how City and United differ, neither are a direct rival to Arsenal. You're all just living in the past.

RVP is no better than an Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, or Dzeko. You wouldn't be strenghtening City, but it's clear we've strengthened United. We're obviously not in the right mindset to win the title again, but that doesn't mean we should just strengthen our title rivals given that the title is our aspiration (and yes, we fail every single year). Especially when we aren't going to reinvest the funds...

Also, we bought Giroud, Cazorla, and Podolski. The ambition thing was bullshit. He just wanted to leave, and to win. Which is fair. (doesn't mean I have to like it, or that he had to disrespect Wenger though...)

Yeah, that was weird. How were Xavi, Puyol, Giggs and Scholes poor? :S

Because they've been winning, so it's easy to stay. Gerrard will never win the title.

Widely reported in football journalism means absolutely nothing. And if there is one part of football journalism that is even more farcical than the rest of it, it is the reporting of financial matters.

It's why I can't understand why so many people wreck their brains thinking about it, because we just never know what's true and what's not, no matter how widely it is or is not reported.

Ferguson said Chelsea paid Hazard's agent £6 million. I'm sure he would know through discussions with the club how much his agent was wanting.

Dibbz

The biggest blow to the Fabregas side wasn't losing an Adebayor, or a Toure, or a Hleb. It was because Wenger never replaced a player like Flamini, who's role was the complete opposite of any "star". It's those kinds of purchases that build title winning squads, not "stars." I'm always annoyed when Wenger talks about not having 100m to spend: well, no one wants you to spend 100m. How about 10m?
Wenger always puts faith in the players he has. There is nothing wrong with that as Arsenal reap the rewards of his foresight in his young players at times but yeah he is finally spending now so I'm happy so far.

Sure you want that again?

;)

It'd be great if we won it be beating Barca in the final but I'd probably want to kill myself if we lost. So I'll get back to you on that :p

Ferguson said Chelsea paid Hazard's agent £6 million. I'm sure he would know through discussions with the club how much his agent was wanting.
Oh Ferguson said that? Not our accountants? Well then it must be true, because Alex Ferguson never talks shit.

Edit: sarcasm aside, this assumes that everybody was offering the same deal. Surely once the clubs demands are met, what the player and the agent get is up to them. Because Ferguson was reportedly told 6mil doesn't mean we were, fuck, we might of been asked for more. All I know is that nobody but the parties involved actually knows. And so everything else is speculation.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
fuck y'all. Giroud will come good. Hell, Chamakh might even score a few goals this season.

arent yall owned by that cheap JT stan kroenke? His american football team has been crap for ages and only until this year did he finally start spending money on them. Same with the Glazers.

jtb

Banned
Wenger always puts faith in the players he has. There is nothing wrong with that as Arsenal reap the rewards of his foresight in his young players at times but yeah he is finally spending now so I'm happy so far.

Exactly; he's been great at fostering wonderful youth talents, but you also need proven experience alongside it. Balance is key.

we shouldnt trust alex ferguson

but we should trust some oil crook russian's accountants and a message board goon
Lunchbox calling somebody else a goon. Nice one.

Good response all the same. But I think an "oil crook's" accountant would have a better grasp on his dirty oil, I mean football club, money than the manager of Manchester United.

Really, you don't think Ferguson would be privy to that sort of information?
See my edit.

Lightning

Banned
Exactly; he's been great at fostering wonderful youth talents, but you also need proven experience alongside it. Balance is key.
With Cazorla, Arteta, Vermaelen, Podolski, Sagna we have that experience. Giroud comes right, like you I'm certain he will, and we keep the bulk of our players healthy and we will be tough to beat for any team in the PL. We need Jack back though, The fact that Arsenal are starting to release info regarding him means he must be making good progress .

Dibbz

because he totally shouldve wasted his career at a club that cant win shit, wont buy players to support him

Yeah because there was no support at all from any of the players. RVP just ran from Arsenals box and scored every single goal. Gimme a break. The team worked for RVP, they got him to where he was at the end of the season. Arsenal had just bought Podolski and the top scorer from the title winning Ligue 1 side. Yeah no support at all.

He bolted because he wanted a fat paycheck for the end of his career. If he wanted trophies he would have went to City but at the end of it City didn't pony up enough money and United were the only ones left.
Do you reckon Walcott will get his chance as striker?

Walcott can suck my dick. I'd bet he'd fall over mid way through.

Yeah because there was no support at all from any of the players. RVP just ran from Arsenals box and scored every single goal. Gimme a break. The team worked for RVP, they got him to where he was at the end of the season. Arsenal had just bought Podolski and the top scorer from the title winning Ligue 1 side. Yeah no support at all.

He bolted because he wanted a fat paycheck for the end of his career. If he wanted trophies he would have went to City but at the end of it City didn't pony up enough money and United were the only ones left.

Walcott can suck my dick. I'd bet he'd fall over mid way through.
Didn't you know? United only sign players who play for the love and respect of the club. GAF told me so.

jtb

Banned
Do you reckon Walcott will get his chance as striker?

Possibly. Very high possibility both Giroud and Podolski are both out at some point in the season (given Wenger plays both together), and with Chamakh the only other option, he'd be stupid not to consider it. Hell, I think a Chamakh-Walcott striker partnership would be lethal, but Wenger's 4-4-2 days are a distant memory now.

Granted, I'd only want it to happen if he signed a new deal. Given he didn't play today, I think WEnger's thinking the same thing (sign a new deal, or rot on the bench because every other wide option is better than you). As he should, since Walcott has been infuriatingly shit 90% of the time.

qindarka

Banned
This is ridiculous. As usual, we football fans all like to pretend that our players are not only better, but somehow morally superior and imbued with qualities such as 'loyalty' and 'love for the club' and that the club, the shining beacons of light that they are, value such qualities.

Also, our clubs fans are the best in the world while fans of other clubs are 'plastics', whatever that means.

Salvadora

Given he didn't play today, I think WEnger's thinking the same thing (sign a new deal, or rot on the bench because every other wide option is better than you). As he should, since Walcott has been infuriatingly shit 90% of the time.

Why start this with Walcott of all players?

This is ridiculous. As usual, we football fans all like to pretend that our players are not only better, but somehow morally superior and imbued with qualities such as 'loyalty' and 'love for the club' and that the club, the shining beacons of light that they are, value such qualities.
Hear hear. But you're only repeating what has been said multiple times over the last few pages. It seems it's not sinking in.

Edit: sarcasm aside, this assumes that everybody was offering the same deal. Surely once the clubs demands are met, what the player and the agent get is up to them. Because Ferguson was reportedly told 6mil doesn't mean we were, fuck, we might of been asked for more. All I know is that nobody but the parties involved actually knows. And so everything else is speculation.

It's easy to say that because there's no official confirmation of specific agent fees everything is speculation. If you look at this logically then there's no reason to say that £6 million figure is false.

All you're going to get is the figures that the Premier League publish on agent fees at the end of September. I'm pretty sure those will support that figure.

jtb

Banned
Why start this with Walcott of all players?

Even Wenger's gotten to the point where he realizes he's nowhere near Nasri, RVP, Clichy level of necessity to the team. Plus, we actually have depth in those wide positions now. Podolski, Gervinho, the Ox, any central player played out of position, etc. all probably have an argument to being higher in the pecking order than Theo. Can't drop RVP and expect to win games... Wenger had the same new attitude with Song: fall in line, or fuck off. It's the right attitude to have, frankly.

CL player registration deadline is less than 24 hours away so its our last real chance to get somebody this transfer window. I don't even mean getting a star player, we need to improve the depth of the squad after letting Lazovic, Huszti and Rosina leave for nothing.

qindarka

Banned
Also, Hazard really didn't do too much wrong. The media spent all summer taking his quotes out of context and making stories out of absolutely nothing (such as the number 10 shirt afffair). The one thing he maybe shouldn't have done was announcing his announcement to Chelsea several hours beforehand but are we really going to jump on his back for that?

To back Kylehimself up again, we have no idea what his agent fee. Keep in mind that similar media reports mentioned that he was on 100000k a week after tax which is clearly bullshit.

qindarka

Banned
It's easy to say that because there's no official confirmation of specific agent fees everything is speculation. If you look at this logically then there's no reason to say that £6 million figure is false.

All you're going to get is the figures that the Premier League publish on agent fees at the end of September. I'm pretty sure those will support that figure.

Sorry, burden of proof falls on one who seeks to assert something. And no, media reports from questionable sources do not constitute proof.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I wish we would pick up another keeper. I have family in Ibiza so I might have to go there, fly to Barcelona and take care of valdes myself.

;)

CL player registration deadline is less than 24 hours away so its our last real chance to get somebody this transfer window. I don't even mean getting a star player, we need to improve the depth of the squad after letting Lazovic, Huszti and Rosina leave for nothing.

I am also still waiting and hoping for a few last moment Copenhagen signings.

Also, Hazard really didn't do too much wrong. The media spent all summer taking his quotes out of context and making stories out of absolutely nothing (such as the number 10 shirt afffair). The one thing he maybe shouldn't have done was announcing his announcement to Chelsea several hours beforehand but are we really going to jump on his back for that?

Been trying to say this for months but most knobheads that missed out on him are too busy crying.

jtb

Banned

To back Kylehimself up again, we have no idea what his agent fee. Keep in mind that similar media reports mentioned that he was on 100000k a week after tax which is clearly bullshit.

plus, Chelsea were in the unique position of having the least amount of competition for places in the squad, while still having ambition (CL win). Obviously I'd have loved for Arsene to have pulled the trigger on Hazard years ago, but fair play to Chelsea for getting the finished product now; he's been fantastic and seems eager to adapt and improve. Not exactly a stretch to see that Chelsea would have been the most appealing "project" to join, 6m agent fee or not.

elsk

Banned

Huszti was incredible today, 4 assits

Sloosha

Also, our clubs fans are the best in the world while fans of other clubs are 'plastics', whatever that means.

As a Chelsea fan, I've already accepted that the team I support is full of brigands, mercenaries, Faustian characters and other such undesirable miscreants who would like nothing better then to watch football die a slow and painful death. I'm also a fan formed from the chain polymerization of various hydrocarbon molecules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom