• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Trying to discern exactly what went on in Hazard's head when he decided to join Chelsea is a futile and meaningless endeavor. Chelsea fans will insist he shares their vision and ambition. United fans will claim he went for the biggest paycheck. City fans will opine that he isn't good enough to make their XI. The player will say whatever makes himself sound best (though in RVP's case he just sounds douchey).

Wilbur

Banned
One of them, more or less implied that only a few pages ago.

Except we've all been going on that RVP signed for us for the trophies.

I'm sure they implied that given a choice, Ronaldo would prefer United to City. Or that it would take a lot of wages to get him to go to City. Either way, it isn't what you're presuming they implied.

qindarka

Banned
Trying to discern exactly what went on in Hazard's head when he decided to join Chelsea is a futile and meaningless endeavor. Chelsea fans will insist he shares their vision and ambition. United fans will claim he went for the biggest paycheck. City fans will opine that he isn't good enough to make their XI. The player will say whatever makes himself sound best (though in RVP's case he just sounds douchey).

Could easily be a combination of all three reasons, really. They aren't mutually exclusive.

xintin

So Hazard supposedly joined because we were willing to pay his agent? Isn't this the same supposed reason we didn't sign Hulk, because we wouldnt pay a third party?

Doesn't add up. If we would pay one why not the other?

As a Chelsea fan, I've already accepted that the team I support is full of brigands, mercenaries, Faustian characters and other such undesirable miscreants who would like nothing better then to watch football die a slow and painful death. I'm also a fan formed from the chain polymerization of various hydrocarbon molecules.

Brøndby supporters always calls Copenhagen the same, their favorite was plastic and plastic supporters though. Now we got shirts saying "100% plastic" and stuff which I only think pisses them off even more as everyone now loves what was at first an insult, it's brilliant.

Apparently Roman got a meeting set up with him and that got him on board. Reading books about Roman it seems like he can usually convince anyone and gets what he wants and not just by throwing money at them but also before he even made it big, must have been quite frustrating for him when Pep didn't let himself get talked to Chelsea.

It's easy to say that because there's no official confirmation of specific agent fees everything is speculation. If you look at this logically then there's no reason to say that £6 million figure is false.

All you're going to get is the figures that the Premier League publish on agent fees at the end of September. I'm pretty sure those will support that figure.
Right, so let's talk about it then instead of speculating now.

Logic dictates you wouldn't draw a conclusion if there is a lack of evidence. I personally put very little faith in the reports of football journalists because they produce stories off the back of each other. Speculate, guess and on many occasions completely fabricate articles. And we know this! We also know they're particularly bad for it when the hot topic is transfers.

Of course the 6 million fee could be correct. But you're asking me to believe something because Alex Ferguson and a bunch of chimps who would write anything to get website clicks and paper sales say so. If there's official numbers coming out and they confirm the number then I'm happy to listen to what people have to say about it. But just throwing it around like fact, when it's not known to be so, isn't logic.

Arnie

If City offered Ronaldo a substantial contract, and he was looking to leave Madrid, of course he'd join. He couldn't give a shit about United, and it's naive of United fans to substitute goals scored for passion.

'oh no our Ronny doesnt love us'

qindarka

Banned
Except we've all been going on that RVP signed for us for the trophies.

I'm sure they implied that given a choice, Ronaldo would prefer United to City. Or that it would take a lot of wages to get him to go to City. Either way, it isn't what you're presuming they implied.

Soi Fong : "It's like you said though. You don't care for the reasons he went there. For United though, having a player who actually wants to play for the club and not just money is important, but also sought after."

Pretty sure this was what Kyle was referring to.

Fry

If City offered Ronaldo a substantial contract, and he was looking to leave Madrid, of course he'd join. He couldn't give a shit about United, and it's naive of United fans to substitute goals scored for passion.

KuGsj.gif

Huszti was incredible today, 4 assits

I heard, :(. I get why we let Rosina go since he was desperate to go back to Italy. But Huszti was a damn useful player and Lazovic had 12 goals last season. Although I did hear that Lazovic did his best Robben impersonation by punching Hubocan after a hard tackle in training.

qindarka

Banned
Wonder why we are discussing Hazard again. When I came on GAF, I thought that everyone would be discussing Ronaldo instead given his supposed sadness and desire to leave MAdrid.

Wilbur

Banned

Agreed

Soi Fong : "It's like you said though. You don't care for the reasons he went there. For United though, having a player who actually wants to play for the club and not just money is important, but also sought after."

Pretty sure this was what Kyle was referring to.

Eh, I do think it's important, and it's sought after. It's just not exactly necessary. If a player wants to play specifically for the club, fantastic. If a player is willing to put in a tremendous shift to get money, then also great.

Not United fans. United fan, but I didn't want to name names. Your a good chap Wilbury.

mwah!

Arnie

Wonder why we are discussing Hazard again. When I came on GAF, I thought that everyone would be discussing Ronaldo instead given his supposed sadness and desire to leave MAdrid.
He just wants a new contract, he isnt looking to leave. In terms of his career he can't really go up anymore, and he's certainly not the type to take a large leap backwards by returning to United.

The only place I could see him going is City, for a large bundle of money.

Salvadora

Can't see Ronaldo wanting to leave Madrid anyway, to Manchester of all places.

GorillaJu

Of course clubs want players who actively want to play for them. There's no question about this. It's not exclusive to United or any other club.

The misunderstanding comes in the belief that players only have one club they would want to play for. If a club wants you and is willing to pay a fee to have you, that's a big motivator right there. It's like when you find out a girl you never noticed before likes you. Suddenly you start paying attention to her and probably like her back.

Wilbur

Banned
Of course clubs want players who actively want to play for them. There's no question about this. It's not exclusive to United or any other club.

The misunderstanding comes in the belief that players only have one club they would want to play for. If a club wants you and is willing to pay a fee to have you, that's a big motivator right there. It's like when you find out a girl you never noticed before likes you. Suddenly you start paying attention to her and probably like her back.

nah bro you tap dat and then leave dat

rvp is da bro and arsene is the girl

I think Chris Rock's bit on men being "only as faithful as their options" could be applied to footballers.

Of course some players are more loyal than others, and of course clubs and fans would love them to be loyal. But it's just not realistic. And I don't care what team you support. Your history or lack of, it means nothing to most of these people. Most players want a fat paycheck and some accomplishments.

Unfortunately too many fans misinterpret why certain players do the things they do.

Fintan

He just wants a new contract, he isnt looking to leave. In terms of his career he can't really go up anymore, and he's certainly not the type to take a large leap backwards by returning to United.

The only place I could see him going is City, for a large bundle of money.

Yeah, City makes sense, if he is to leave. Maybe when he's much older he'll go back to Sporting or United or maybe even MLS or something weird like that.

It's hard to imagine Messi at another club.

GorillaJu

I think Chris rocks bit on men being "only as faithful as their options" could be applied to footballers.

Of course some players are more loyal than others, and of course clubs and fans would love them to be loyal. But it's just no realistic. And I don't care what team you support. Your history or lack of means nothing to most of these people. Most players wont a fat paycheck and some accomplishments.

Unfortunately too many fans misinterpret why certain players do the things they do.

A very cynical view. Chelsea fan-esque.

There are loyal players who aren't just after a paycheck. Daniel Agger doesn't want to leave mid-table Liverpool for Champions Manchester City where he could double his wages.

Neither does Daniele de De Rossi.

75% of Barça's first team would never leave the club, and it's not just because of money and trophies.

Some teams engender loyalty through their culture and history. Just because Chelsea's is a barren wasteland doesn't mean it applies everywhere else.

Arnie

Yeah, City makes sense, if he is to leave. Maybe when he's much older he'll go back to Sporting or United or maybe even MLS or something weird like that.

It's hard to imagine Messi at another club.
No, Ronaldo will never return to United, no matter his age. As Wilbury so beautifully put it, he hit it and quit it.

He might go to the MLS, or City if the money's there, but after spending his best years at Real Madrid, returning to United's like shagging Henry the Hoover.

Sloosha

There are loyal players who aren't just after a paycheck. Daniel Agger doesn't want to leave mid-table Liverpool for Champions Manchester City where he could double his wages.

75% of Barça's first team would never leave the club, and it's not just because of money and trophies.

Some teams engender loyalty through their culture and history. Just because Chelsea's is a barren wasteland doesn't mean it applies everywhere else.

We can't get rid of Malouda. I'll just misconstrue that as team loyalty. See, we're not that bad. ;)

Right, so let's talk about it then instead of speculating now.

Logic dictates you wouldn't draw a conclusion if there is a lack of evidence. I personally put very little faith in the reports of football journalists because they produce stories off the back of each other. Speculate, guess and on many occasions completely fabricate articles. And we know this! We also know they're particularly bad for it when the hot topic is transfers.

Of course the 6 million fee could be correct. But you're asking me to believe something because Alex Ferguson and a bunch of chimps who would write anything to get website clicks and paper sales say so. If there's official numbers coming out and they confirm the number then I'm happy to listen to what people have to say about it. But just throwing it around like fact, when it's not known to be so, isn't logic.

There's hardly a lack of evidence. It's just not the very specific evidence that you want (Hazard's agent or Chelsea's accountants to confirm it themselves). Obviously that's never going to happen. Someone like Ferguson is in a position where he would probably know what Hazard's agent was asking for. So when he says it then that is evidence. I'm not saying it's a fact. But it is evidence.

And if we talk about it then it's pretty obvious what's going to happen! Let's say for example that the Premier League say Chelsea paid £12,000,000 to agents in the last year. You're going to say it could be anything from 1p to £12,000,000 and that everything is speculation, whereas I'm going to say that £6,000,000 fits quite comfortably within that figure and is logically an acceptable value.

Out of interest, is there any official confirmation of the £32 million transfer fee? Did you say that was speculation?

near

Gold Member
So Hazard supposedly joined because we were willing to pay his agent? Isn't this the same supposed reason we didn't sign Hulk, because we wouldnt pay a third party?

Doesn't add up. If we would pay one why not the other?

Well I don't think it's entirely fair to compare these two cases. There are also a lot of issues to consider for instance Hulk has 4 years remaining on he's contract and a buy-out clause of €100m, he's a player who is content with remaining at he's club. It is also worth noting that Porto are a lot more financial stable than Lille and less reluctant to sell- so there is perhaps a reason for Hulk not being at Chelsea right now.

Whether Chelsea was willing the cough forward the expenses of Hazard ahead of the competition is not going to be confirmed unless it comes out of the horses mouth. However, it has been reported that this is the case, denying it has as much weight to it as it being mere speculation. It should not be ruled out at all in this argument especially when Chelsea's financial muscle is no secret.

I agree with this. Not every player seeks a higher wage, everyone has a different 'satisfaction level'. Loyalty exists but there are many factors to it - to say it doesn't exist in football is like saying you know every player in the league on a personal level.

qindarka

Banned

Chelsea's accomplishments pre-Abramovich, while nowhere near that of United and Liverpool, aren't too shabby at all.

And let's see how long Agger stays. It could simply be that he feels that his best long-term prospects come from staying at Anfield for now, not that he is attracted to Liverpool's culture and history.

What on earth is Chelsea fan-esque supposed to mean anyway? I expected better from you. Also, since you are trying to make a play at putting yourself above us plastics, when did you start supporting Liverpool?

How do you know it isn't because of the titles? Those players have already reached the highest stage they can, at least for at the moment and I would say that has a huge part to do with it. They even got youth players like Pique and Fabregas has already left them once. Not to say of course that some players aren't loyal like De Rossi.

Also Agger had no troubles going from the club he supported growing up and watched matches at as a kid to go to Liverpool, unlike another brøndby "legend" that he looked up to who played there for all his career despite getting much better offers from foreign leagues, as much as I hated him that was real loyalty like De Rossi.

Arnie

I think we should make a loyalty chart, I'll kick it off:

Loves the club, won't leave: Agger
Loves the club, left to further his career: Xabi
Couldn't give a fuck, hit it and quit it: Ronny, Robby van Percy

xintin

Chelsea's accomplishments pre-Abramovich, while nowhere near that of United and Liverpool, aren't too shabby at all.

And let's see how long Agger stays. It could simply be that he feels that his best long-term prospects come from staying at Anfield for now, not that he is attracted to Liverpool's culture and history.

What on earth is Chelsea fan-esque supposed to mean anyway? I expected better from you. Also, since you are trying to make a play at putting yourself above us plastics, when did you start supporting Liverpool?
:lol

Where would you place Rooney?

In the : Doesn't really care either way and just wants another hotdog.

What do you mean by long-term prospects?

Going to Barca maybe. There has been the rumors before, he fits the style, Puyol is getting old and there's no real good backup for their current first choices. I don't doubt Agger probably wouldn't want to leave for another English club, could see him going to Spain though.

There are so many variables though.

Let's take the example of Paul Scholes since he was brought up earlier as a loyal player. I would agree that Paul Scholes is loyal. But then Paul Scholes has went through the majority of his career winning things and making a fat paycheck (not as fat as others I would imagine). But say he wasn't winning things, say he wasn't earning good dough, would he still be there to this day? we can't say (personally I think he would, but you catch my drift, you could apply this to numerous players). Same as the Barcelona players. However, these people aren't good examples because they've had very illustrious careers. You may well say that it's not about money or trophies for Barca players. But you have no way of knowing otherwise. For example, if Cesc's boyhood club Barcelona were struggling in the Spanish second division, I doubt (though I of course can't be certain) he'd of been busting his balls to go back. But of course, the fact Barcelona are the best team in the world, well that helps.

Agger then, is possibly a good example. But he is a small minority. There are a few Chelsea players that I think would remain loyal to Chelsea. But I'm not going to delude myself in to thinking that there is no way they'd leave if faced with better options. There's others I'm fairly certain would, and honestly, I wouldn't blame them.

Salvadora

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer but I think there would be very few at Arsenal who would elect to stay if Barcelona came knocking.

GorillaJu

What on earth is Chelsea fan-esque supposed to mean anyway? I expected better from you.

"History" is only a small part of it but "culture" is the important bit. The fans and city can play a big part. Liverpool's fans are some of the best – the 2005 Istanbul CL trophy was practically a victory for the supporters more so than the team. Thousands of people singing YNWA in unison at halftime while the team is down 0-3.

Having people admire you absolutely everywhere you go in the City, and not getting boo'd and heckled by your own supporters can definitely engender loyalty. It's not going to rope in everyone, but I take issue with the assertion that most footballers are simply mercenaries. I think some of them are. Many of them move around according to their options, as has been mentioned.

"Chelsea fan-esque" is just me being snarky. Nothing in that but a little jab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom