• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

Manchester Evening News.

Ferdi please. Behave yourself.

Also freaking LOL at the lawyer. If I get pulled for speeding i will use that line.

His lawyer has the nickname "Mr Loophole" due to his ability to get celebs off driving charges didn't work this time.

Podcast sounds good but a Skypechat? I think I'd actually want to hear the commentary.

PS. We already have a football IRC channel. It would be nice to see more of you in there on gamedays!

server: studio64.yi.org
channel: #football

The channel should go into the OP if it isn't already.

I've thought about trying to get a footyGAF podcast organized, and then I remember how quickly the footyGAF blog crashed and burned, and I decided not to try.

Wilbur

Banned
I hope all you lads are getting Dishonored. Its gonna be goty. Better than any of that Halo bollocks.

I didn't think the gameplay looked great but the story and world looked good.

I'm still playing Skyrim, 135 hours on one save and still fucking loads to do.

Clegg

I didn't think the gameplay looked great but the story and world looked good.

I'm still playing Skyrim, 135 hours on one save and still fucking loads to do.
I had to give up on Skyrim. I loved the game but unfortunitely for me I had it on PS3.

My save file got too big and the game started running at about 5 fps.

operon

Arnie

so the sun apologies and people still tweeting that people shouldnt buy the sun (aside from the fact its tabloid trash)?

wasn't the sun misinformed? i dunno, im all puzzled now

When a bridge is burnt it's hard to rebuild it.

655211797.jpg

The Sun's actions played a huge part in perpetuating the myth surrounding Hillsborough, and as a result we won't be buying The Sun ever again.

Salazar

Many reasons never to buy the Sun, Choc.

It's just an instrument of hatred. Oftentimes it doesn't care who it hates, but it's usually people who can't fight back.

Its Hillsborough coverage was Sun to the core: it wasn't a mistake, it wasn't an anomaly, it wasn't unusually extreme. There's quite a good history of the rag, Stick It Up Your Punter, which I recommend. Genuinely, sickeningly enlightening about their whimsical disregard for people's lives.

operon

When a bridge is burnt it's hard to rebuild it.

655211797.jpg

The Sun's actions played a huge part in perpetuating the myth surrounding Hillsborough, and as a result we won't be buying The Sun ever again.

Its not fit for toilet paper, terrible paper will never buy it ever

'DEAD FANS ROBBED BY DRUNK THUGS' read the front page of The Daily Star on April 18.

'POLICE ACCUSED DRUNKEN FANS' claimed The Daily Express on April 19, with the paper pointing to the 'loutish lack of self-discipline' and the 'impatient jostling and pushing outside the turnstiles' of fans.

An Express leader wrote: 'Many fans turned up without tickets...It is not for them, noisily and self-righteously, to lay the blame for the carnage at the feet of others, as though they themselves are completely blameless.'

And there was more. The Evening Standard wrote:

'How long will it take for it publicly to be acknowledged that fans themselves share the blame?...The catastrophe was caused first and foremost by violent enthusiasm for soccer, in this case the tribal passions of Liverpool supporters. They literally killed themselves and others to be at the game.'

And The Liverpool Daily Post wrote:

'At best it was unfettered zeal. At worst it was uncontrolled fanaticism and mass hysteria which literally squeezed the life out of men, women and children. This was yobbism at its most base. People without tickets who had no right to be there were crushing to death their fellow Scousers. When it comes to apportioning blame, the accusatory finger can also be pointed at Liverpool. Scouse killed Scouse for no better reason than 22 men were kicking a ball.'

It should be noted that the above deserve similar if not identical ire to The Sun for their handling of this story.

Clegg

Sources have said that the Japanese star returned to United’s Carrington training base still feeling discomfort in his back following a 12-hour flight from Japan to England on Wednesday.

The club’s medical staff are now taking steps to get to the bottom of the intermittent back problems suffered by Kagawa since starting his professional career.
Kagawa is a crock.

Wilbur

Banned
Just finished ME3, I don't get the fuss with the original ending, it's fine.

I haven't played it but I know the ending and definitely understand the fuss;
when a game like Walking Dead can make your choices feel essential and they actually pay off in different ways, it's disappointing that the ending basically renders everyone's unique play throughs as obsolete and forces them into one choice.

Question for those on Merseyside - do The Sun even both sending copies of the paper up there? If you live in Liverpool and you want to buy The Sun, can you?

Wilbur

Banned
I didn't really enjoy Alpha Protocol.

It looked terrible and wasn't a very fun game to actually play.

The dialogue and choice system was top notch though.

Yeah, agreed. With better gameplay it would have been class but the mission in the desert right at the start was enough to put me off, shooting was awful

Splatt

I didn't really enjoy Alpha Protocol.

It looked terrible and wasn't a very fun game to actually play.

The dialogue and choice system was top notch though.

Dunno.

I had fun playing as a stealth god. I can see how someone who went for a Rambo build could find the game woeful, it really wasn't good in that department.

Clegg

Alpha Protocol would have been brilliant if it controlled as well as ME 3.

Bioware gets a lot of shit but the one thing they did right was developing a very good combat system.

I'd love to see Bioware an Obsidian team up for a game.

Let Bioware deal with the combat and the game engine while Obsidian deal with the story and dialogue.

Wilbur

Banned
Dunno.

I had fun playing as a stealth god. I can see how someone who went for a Rambo build could find the game woeful, it really wasn't good in that department.

From what I can remember - might be wrong - you couldn't take cover by planting against the wall, so I was just crouching behind boxes and my arse would be poking out and someone would see it.

The Batman game's stealth is brilliant I think, love clearing out a room without being seen.

Kyoufu

Alpha Protocol would have been brilliant if it controlled as well as ME 3.

Bioware gets a lot of shit but the one thing they did right was developing a very good combat system.

ME3 combat is shit* IMO

*I hate what they did to Vanguard. :(

In fact I won't forgive them for shitting over the ME franchise after the glorious first game. Fuck you EA.

sohois

People don't like Alpha Protocol? I can understand not warming to it, but to call it woeful is madness.

Just came back from football training, had a right 'mare, crappy touches and misplaced passes all over the place, culminating when, in goal, i somehow managed to palm a simple long ball out for a corner.

Splatt

From what I can remember - might be wrong - you couldn't take cover by planting against the wall, so I was just crouching behind boxes and my arse would be poking out and someone would see it.

The Batman game's stealth is brilliant I think, love clearing out a room without being seen.

I can't remember if you can stick your ass to the wall Solid Snake style but the bolded part, yeah, for the first few hours (2-3) stealth is useless. Later on you get a camouflage ability which is completely broken and allows you to remain unseen for a good period of time. IIRC it also had a pretty low cooldown.

With that said, the game is quite broken and I can't fault anyone for not having fun with it. I just came off from 1st Deus Ex when I played so it was right up my alley.

Batman's stealth is awesome, but I kinda suck at it so I never tried it on the highest difficulty :lol

Arnie

Question for those on Merseyside - do The Sun even both sending copies of the paper up there? If you live in Liverpool and you want to buy The Sun, can you?

Yes, they do. And sadly a minority still buy it.

(Needs noting that some local newsagents don't stock it for obvious reason)

Disgraceful? In what way? I don't really know what else people wanted from it.

Just a tiny percentage of what Bioware had promised. In the end it was all a completely linear story that you had no influence on how ended at all, which is exactly what they were hyping for years.

It should be noted that the above deserve similar if not identical ire to The Sun for their handling of this story.

Having not read into what happened other than the recent coverage, I am still unsure as to what actually cause the crush in the first place?
Lots of people in a space doesn't automatically result in a crush. Surely it relies on people at the back pushing?
Was something going on at the entrance to the stand?

Arnie

Having not read into what happened other than the recent coverage, I am still unsure as to what actually cause the crush in the first place?
Lots of people in a space doesn't automatically result in a crush. Surely it relies on people at the back pushing?
Was something going on at the entrance to the stand?

I'll let Brian Reade explain it, he was there:

The morning could not have been more perfect. A cobalt blue sky, blood orange sun and a warm air filled with birdsong and blossom. Spring's optimism flooded Liverpudlian hearts.

It was the second year running we'd been drawn to play Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough and those of us in that red procession which snaked along the M62 to Sheffield had few worries about reaching Wembley again.

But different kinds of doubts were creeping in. Major roadworks, an accident and persistent police checks were causing delays, and fears spread that the kick-off might be missed.

On reaching Hillsborough those fears were realised. At 2.30pm, Leppings Lane, the entry point for all Liverpool fans, was human gridlock.

No police or stewards were on hand to filter the thousands of fans into queues.

The only visible authority was half-adozen forlorn figures in blue on horseback and a few on the ground, screaming at the swaying crowd to back away from the turnstiles. For the second year running, and despite protests, Liverpool were given 4,000 fewer tickets and the smaller end of the ground - despite having a much bigger following than Forest.

Geographically it made the police job of getting fans in and out of Sheffield easier.

Ensuring safety is how they termed it. It meant all 24,000 Liverpool ticket-holders, whether in Leppings Lane or the West and North stands, had to pass through 23 turnstiles, most so old they constantly jammed.

At the much newer Kop end Forest had 60 modern turnstiles. As the ground erupted with expectation at the entry of the teams, outside in Leppings Lane, there was pandemonium.

Fans, angry at the lack of movement and organisation, berated the police, some of whom were screaming into their radios for assistance. Many of us moved away from the turnstiles and looked on from a distance, convinced the kick-off would be put back while they sorted out the chaos.

Instead, at 2.52pm a huge blue exit gate opened and 2,000 of us poured in.

At the back of the Leppings Lane terrace, stewards who were supposed to be dispersing the supporters evenly into five pens had vanished. Consequently the bulk of fans ignored the lesser populated pens at the sides of the terrace and headed into the two central ones behind the goal, already over-crowded. Those at the front became packed tighter and tighter. The game was now under way and fans at the back, ignorant of the crush, concentrated on trying to get a view of the pitch.

They weren't to know that ahead of them on this shallow-sloping concrete there was panic, fear, hyper-ventilating, fainting, hair drenched in sweat and vomit matting on the metal fencing.

And death. Survivors speak of faces pushed against them that were wide-eyed and blue, of their bodies going numb and limp, and their minds suffering neardeath experiences. Eddie Spearritt, whose 14-year-old son Adam died in the crush, lost consciousness. He said: "They've said it was a surge but it wasn't. It was a slow, constant build-up of pressure, like a vice getting tighter and tighter until you couldn't breathe."

Bumhead

Banned
As well as that Brian Reade piece, you would do well to have a look at some of the turnstile operator witness statements. They're available for public viewing online along with the other documents released yesterday.

They go into a rather large collective detail about certain things going on at the gates and turnstiles that isn't being reflected in the media or by the government, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom