• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 1 hour of free time before work and I spent it all on fantasy.

2-0 dirty birds baby ;)

you know what else is 2-0? The amount of points scored by your defense and offense respectively, in your last playoff game ;)

They changed coach this season. And they have great players, I expect a very difficult match. Dortmund usually plays a counter-attacking game against Bayern.
Yeah, Unai Emery is now at Spartak Moscow. He realized it was futile to play defensively with them because of the uhh "talent" they have defensively. Can't wait to see Barcelona destroy them.

pulga

Banned
Can you see it now, Messi?

ibkbM9UpBWehhH.png

FootballFan

ibkbM9UpBWehhH.png

Yep can see it now.

(Also I am FootballFan not Messi, probably gets confusing seeing as I use Messi as my avatar and he doesn't :lol)

btw I read Szcnskstzny(Arsenal GK) is injured or isn't fit to play, not sure but I'll check again now

edit
Yep he will miss the trip to Montpellier and Mannone will play.

pulga

Banned
Yep can see it now.

(Also I am FootballFan not Messi, probably gets confusing seeing as I use Messi as my avatar and he doesn't :lol)

btw I read Szcnskstzny(Arsenal GK) is injured or isn't fit to play, not sure but I'll check again now

edit
Yep he will miss the trip to Montpellier and Mannone will play.

Fuck, true :lol got confused there

Thanks for the heads up guys. Ughhhh back to tinkering

It was always going to end this way. They say that the only constant is change and no place is that phrase truer than in Palermo. Once again, Maurizio Zamparini has made the brash decision to sack a coach after just three matches.

What was once a great team on the precipice of greatness is now floundering in the depths of despair and failure. A team that just two short years ago played a Coppa Italia final in front of 40,000 Rosanero fans is a distant memory. Zamparini has inconceivably hit the self-destruct button on a club that was perhaps a player or two away from a true Champions League competing side back then. The timer seems to be nearing zero. The most recent developments after the draw against Cagliari underline that notion.

The feeling was that it would be different this time around. There was an organization structure in place, a sporting director who knows Palermo and could serve as a buffer between the coach and the irrational, impulsive decisions of its owner. It had to be different. After all, Zamparini already “ate a testicle” when he rued the sacking of Stefano Pioli before last season even began. He claimed to be patient. He said he’d give Sannino the time and freedom to lead this fresh-faced side. There was a “project” in place at Palermo.

Yet, it all proved to be the same old Zamparini. This is a guy who would probably try to return a dozen eggs after he bought them, cooked an omelette and realized he botched the recipe. Of course, he’d blame the chicken that laid the eggs, or the grocer…but never himself as the cook! The fact of the matter is at some point the blame has to be placed where it’s supposed to be. Zamparini cannot simply talk about a “project” year in and year out when the blueprint never makes it off the drawing board. It’s disrespectful and disgraceful to the city of Palermo, its fans, the workers at the club and the players. Nobody can take him at his word anymore because his word is about as valuable as the Greek economy. Enough is enough.

So, Sannino is out after a mere three games. He was never given a real opportunity to instill his vision and style of play on a team that has been overhauled with new members. He tried his best but perhaps the challenges were too great to overcome with such a short leash. Most of the blame does not fall on his shoulders, even if he humbly accepted the criticism after his departure. This was not a team sufficiently built for him. The players that departed left big holes in the squad that were never addressed in the transfer market. He never used it as an excuse even though he had every reason to. He is a good coach. It’s apparent based on his prior experiences and it will certainly become even more so when he moves on to another club where he’s given the proper time and tools to succeed.

Now, the focus turns to Gian Piero Gasperini. He played for the club for five years back in the late 70s and early 80s, making over 100 appearances. He’s most known for his coaching tenure at Genoa where he led the Grifone from 2006 to 2010 while employing his famous 3-4-3. In a surprise move, Inter appointed him as their head coach last season, but the former Juventus youth coach only lasted five official matches before getting sacked.

For those who remember, Gasperini was sought after by Zamparini after Delio Rossi was not brought back for last season. Gasperini declined Zamparini’s offer and Pioli was hired instead. It’s interesting to note that at the time, Zamparini had this to say about Gasperini: “He’s one of those coaches who thinks he invented calcio. I’ve never had a conversation with him.” Of course, that was a spurned Zamparini speaking. After officially announcing Gasperini as the new Palermo coach, Zamparini naturally changed his tune: “I’ve already dealt with Gasperini before he went to Inter. He has a good curriculum, his teams play a good calcio. Last summer we didn’t agree on details but now he’s more humble and I’m sure he’ll do well. He will have time to work and play as he wants. He isn’t at Palermo to coach three matches and leave. In his contract, there’s a bonus for an eventual qualification in Europe.” Everyone knows better to believe any of that statement.

What does a team battling against relegation look like? Well, it looks awfully close to the current team in ritiro at Brescia right now. As Palermo tries once again to restart under a new coach and a new system, it’s up to the fans to continue to sustain this team. They need the support now more than ever. Forza Palermo. Sempre.

ibxJNUj89lFNQZ.gif
ibxJNUj89lFNQZ.gif
ibxJNUj89lFNQZ.gif

dc89

561700_487179694626056_1693430943_n.jpg

good: madrid gets tested early on and not coast through group stage

bad: focus will be on getting to round of 16, goodbye la liga (expect barca to get ahead by 10+ points)

ugly: don't make it cl round of 16

It's real isn't it. This group...

Sounds similar :lol

Just saw this in the related videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=X-o84WfJ6cA&NR=1

Is the police presence that strong in the Manchester derbies?!

Yeah quite strong. I've been to several and never seen trouble though.

this is just class from dortmund

Borussia Dortmund welcomes Ajax Amsterdam, Manchester City and Real Madrid | CL 2012/2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoknNk-1Zg&hd=1

Clap.gif

And we will welcome them to Manchester. Just as we welcomed the Champions League itself last season.

ibkbM9UpBWehhH.png

I need to make a team. One like this.

Lightning

Banned
Despite the horrible season start we're having, I don't see Dortmund or City as true rivals.

Madrid should get 16 or 18 points easily.
I don't think City are up to challenging Madrid. Dortmund certainly have the players and the manager to challenge you but whether or not they have the mental strength which they lacked last season is the key thing. Madrid to top the group with Dortmund finishing second is how I see things going.

Can't see Dortmund choking 2 years in a row but important for them to beat Ajaz this week and start well.

I don't think City are up to challenging Madrid. Dortmund certainly have the players and the manager to challenge you but whether or not they have the mental strength which they lacked last season is the key thing. Madrid to top the group with Dortmund finishing second is how I see things going.

Can't see Dortmund choking 2 years in a row but important for them to beat Ajaz this week and start well.

That's pretty much my opinion. City might have better players than Dortmund, but for some reason I feel that Dortmund is a stronger team.

And Ajax can take advantage of the slaughter between City and Dormund and finish third.

FootballFan

10 out of 11 starters in the game against Getafe were all La Masia players :D Adriano being the exception.

Despite the horrible season start we're having, I don't see Dortmund or City as true rivals.

Madrid should get 16 or 18 points easily.

Sadly I agree with you. Hope you are wrong though haha.

Barca GAF, is Jordi Alba starting?

Don't know yet, he missed the Getafe game but he could play the CL match.

pappe

Seeing that Madrid have been awful this season i think City will definitely push Madrid but a wonder strike from Ronaldo will help them win. Dortmund are a strong team but they dont have enough quality to challenge Madrid or City. They were hardly a match for Arsenal last season.

elsk

Banned
Is Kroos starting for Bayern regularly?

I think he has started all the matches (except one) since Jupp Heynckes is coaching. BUT, this is the first time since like 3 years ago that I don't really have a clue of how the lineup is going to look, the only sure ones are: Neuer, Lahm, Boateng and Mandzukic.

Wilbur

Banned
Happy Birthday Fady!

I like Ajax but I think BvB will take the money home.

Dortmund - Ajax: 1-0

Reus 72'

Lol predictin the minute. Imagine the money you'd make on that.

Also is it just me who doesn't like Resi 4? Thought the shooting system was wank, the voice acting and script was bad, a few QTE that everyone seems to hate were getting ignored... Just thought it wasn't a very good game to play, despite on the surface looking impressive with its set pieces and whatnot

Carbonox

Welp, the Leon campaign was fucking terrible. I don't need or want Uncharted in my Resi Evil :(

I know the demo is different to the one that came with Dragon's Dogma but what segments did they select for each pairing?

I'll be firing up the demo later. I have the game on preorder and it will remain that way but would like to try the demo to see what the fuss is all about. :lol

I know the demo is different to the one that came with Dragon's Dogma but what segments did they select for each pairing?

I'll be firing up the demo later. I have the game on preorder and it will remain that way but would like to try the demo to see what the fuss is all about. :lol

Leon is shooting zombies left and right while running through a college campus with Helena after shooting the president who turned into a zombie. Chris seems to be in fucking Eastern Europe IN THE DAYTIME...and I don't know what happened in that one because I was so fucking disgusted and turned it off :lol

Didn't even try the third one.

Freewheelin' you should disown Wilbury. Resident Evil 4 is godly.

I know! He has shit taste in games :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom