• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Ban if old.

yHiD9.gif

neoanarch

Depends on how much your competitors got. I got 22 pts today. Still have De Gea, Shinji, Guardado, Vidal, Messi, and possibly Lustig to play.

Guardado, Vidal, Alves and Helder Barbosa for me. Kinda of fucked up on Barbosa I knew Braga had the top league scorer last year but couldn't remember his name and it turns out he's with Benfica now. Lima.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8174/8001375055_0be12360f1_z.jpg[IMG]

Bringing back the grill look. :lol[/QUOTE]

Same price. Fucking lunacy.

Zabojnik

Why? Don't see how Juve are fucked.

I'm terrified because all our defenders (+ Vidal and Pirlo) are in terrible, terrible shape. And slow to begin with. I can already see Hazard and Mata running circles around them.

Fuck it. There's gonna be 5 more matches after this, so not all is lost yet. GIUVEEEEE!!!

FootballFan

I'm terrified because all our defenders (+ Vidal) are in terrible, terrible shape. And slow to begin with. I can already see Hazard and Mata running circles around them.

Fuck it. There's gonna be 5 more matches after this, so not all is lost yet. GIUVEEEEE!!!

Anything can happen, Hazard couldn't do crap against Atletico Madrids defense who usually are laughable at the back(Messi has more goals/assists vs them than any other team). Maybe Juve will keep him and Mata quiet with Giovinco having a great display(he's in my fantasy team so hopefully haha). Excited either way, Bayern-Valencia, Chelsea-Juve and of course Barca-Spartak.

Sloosha

I'm terrified because all our defenders (+ Vidal and Pirlo) are in terrible, terrible shape. And slow to begin with. I can already see Hazard and Mata running circles around them.

Torres will make you're defenders look like triathletes.

dc89

Just went and read the Sony TGS threads (yes, I read a thread) and holy cow.

The new PS3 slim looks so cheap, yet it's more expensive?!
The Vita is so dead. Right now I have a £200 PS1 emulator which just so happens to have 4-5 decent games which utilise the actual hardware.
The only things they showed for the Vita were PSP & PS3 ports.
This is how desperate they were, they showed Crash Bandicoot 1 running on a Vita....
The they showed CoD which looked garbage. Seeing as my toaster can run CoD do they think I'm going to buy a inferior version of it?!
Two new Vita colours - people don't want colours they want games!
No Capcom, Konami or Square.
No Last Guardian
No mention of any Final Fantasy (X HD or Versus)

So all in all, I think Vita is doomed which is a shame because I really like the hardware and the potential is endless. But Sony don't seem like they are, and so the Japanese developers don't care, so the western developers don't care. So who the hell is going to make games for it?

Football_VitaGAF. We need to hold each other, for we have made a grave mistake.

Carbonox

The Vita was doomed upon announcement. Sony are clueless morons.

I remember when TGS used to be the best show of the year in terms of new game announcements and information.

dc89

The Vita was doomed upon announcement. Sony are clueless morons.

I remember when TGS used to be the best show of the year in terms of new game announcements and information.

Yup and yup.

The idea of a handheld which can produce amazing quality games (Gravity Rush for example) can be this little supported astounds me. Sony need to swallow their pride and cut the price, but it's probably too late. I think it will just be left to die.

RIP.

Lightning

Banned
Yup and yup.

The idea of a handheld which can produce amazing quality games (Gravity Rush for example) can be this little supported astounds me. Sony need to swallow their pride and cut the price, but it's probably too late. I think it will just be left to die.

RIP.
I don't own one but you shouldn't give up on it so quickly. Sony will get the support for it.

Gambit

Bild are reporting that against Valencia Pizarro might start instead of Mario II. Not sure that's the best idea. If Heynckes wants to give him some play-time, how about substituting him before the 88th minute for once.

Apparently Martinez is set to play alongside Schweinsteiger as well.

Oh and in regards to Vita: Yea, it's dead. But I still want it! Especially because I still haven't bought a PSP and there are so many games I missed. Now I am looking forward to playing them on Vita.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

It depends on:
-Vidal and Chiellini
-Bonucci not fucking up. He's prone to brainfarts away from home.
-Vucinic's mood.

This is the game that we can afford to lose. it might not be worth the extra mile that'd fuck us in the league.

Linius

Hey you guys, what Dortmund pulled of yesterday was really not cool. Not cool you know.

And what about that new PS3? I heard there was a cheap version with 16GB memory coming our way?

Linius

What exactly happened with Borussia? I have yet to see the highlights.

They did the German by scoring in the 87th minute. They did this while I was rushing home from work thinking it was still a tie. Guess we'll have to smash them in the home game to make up for it. Luckily Vermeer stopped that diving penalty earlier on.

Hey Germans, what has the bild to say about our keeper today? :p

Salazar

Zabo, your avatar is a little unsettling.

SAF presser

Q. What lessons did you learn last season and will that colour your policy going into Europe this season?

"well I made that point when we got the draw that we don't want to be as careless as were last year. I think the team we choose tomorrow will reflect that., over the past few years the group stages have been pretty straight forward for us so it gave me the opportunity to play a lot of young players, but I'll be playing a more experienced team tomorrow."

Q. Sir Alex you know what it takes to win this competition, when you look at this squad, do you think it has what it takes?

"I think that the key for us is to keep the defenders fit. I mean that because we have had a real rough ride with defenders being injured for the last two or three years. If they reamin fit then it definitely gives us a better opportunity. I think in particular in the attacking part of the team I think we are very strong there, and hopefully that makes a difference for us."

Q. Sir Alex you have always said that the home form is the key to progressing through the group stages, not just this last season but last season, Manchester United's home form hasn't been what it used to be, are you surprised by that or you have any explanation why it might be?

"Well I think we all agree that we were careless in two of the games anyway last season at home. Winning positions against Benfica, got a draw 2-2 and I thought we played well on that particular game but the Basel one was the one really where the criticism quite rightly lies. 2-0 up and playing very, very well and then got really careless in the second half and ended up 3-3 draw which really in affect knocked us out because having to go there and get a result we were really chasing our tails a little bit. So that was disappointing. Hopefully our home form, which had been good for many many years, will be as good again."

Q> Is that the message you've put out for all competitions, because there was a time when you'd be 2-0 up and winning 4-0 like you did on Saturday whereas that didn't happen so much?

"I think that is without doubt has to be a driving force next year. Because if you think back to Everton 4-2, and drawing 4-4 each, we can't have that, we can't allow that to happen again, so goal difference definitely going to be important, I mean that as a priority this season, goal difference obviously it'll not be decided on goal difference again but you never know, better be in the black side of that than the red, that has to be an important issue for us."

Q. Sir Alex, 5 of your six league games after Champions League fixtures this season are away from home, how difficult is that for you and the players, and does that impact on your team selection in Europe, knowing you have an away league game straight after?

"Well, not so much an impact but you do have to give it some consideration, depending which game you have got following the European tie. I always feel that the European tie followed by a weekend game is never the same problem as coming back from a European tie, there is always a great anticipation about European football, but the recovery from it is more difficult for a league game, and it really depends on who we have got on the following game, yeah it could have been better but you don't get it all your own way, we just have to accept it and get on with it."

Q. Sir Alex, you spoke about your defence, how important will Vidic be and his fitness, you've obviously in the last 2-3 years changed your goalkeeper, Rio doesn't play as much, how important is Vidic staying fit, can give you a focal point for solidity within your defence?

"Well that's why I am saying about defenders remaning fit. Over the last few years we've not enjoyed that. Now at the moment with Smalling and Jones long term and I am left with three centre backs in Vidi, Ferdinand and Evans and if I was guaranteed two of those being fit for the rest of the season I would take that gladly right now. But it has not been the case in the last few years, we've had to alternate centre backs and sometimes if you go back two years ago with Carrick, Fletcher and Evra as centre-backs, so that is the key issue for us, I can't hide that. I just hope we get a bit of luck with that respect.

Q. Sir Alex, how is Shinji Kagawa's condition at the moment? And I think you were worried about him before he left for Japan to play in the World Cup qualifications, now he came back with a little injury, what do you think about the situation that he has to travel that much? (asked by Japanese journo)

"Well, he had a slight injury, there wasn't any problem. I could have played him Saturday but the view was that we have an important time coming up, we have a game tomorrow, then we have Liverpool on Sunday, so we decided just to put him on the bench but he's fit, trained today and he's doing very well, we're very pleased with him. And he will be a very important player for us."

Q. Do you think he has to have his physical stronger to stay as strong a player for Manchester in the Premiership? (asked by Japanese journo)

"In his first game against Fulham there was never a problem with that, Everton game, never a problem. When he went down to Southampton it was more difficult than normal, they more or less man marked him, so there will be a time phase for him to get used to English football that way, but it's not going to stop him. He will be ok."

Q. Anders Lindegaard kept his place on Saturday, but De Gea was primarily your Number 1 last season, what was your thinking of keeping Anders in? Is there a possibility of David coming back?

"Yeah, the strongest possibility of David coming back. Yeah."

Q. Did you watch the games of Galatasaray which they played in the Turkish league this season and how is your observation about them and the dangers of the team?

"Yeah, we've watched most of the video analysis of them. I think there are several points about them... they have two players we know about in Emmanuel Eboue and Johan Elmander who played in English football of course. They have two excellent central midfielders in Felipe Melo and Selcuk Inan and a centre-forward to look out for in Umut Bulut (SAF pronounces it bullet). He has a good name for a centre-forward! It's a brilliant name for a centre forward! I think they are very strong in these positions. I know from experience of playing against Turkish teams in the past it's never easy. So it will be a very close game tomorrow."

Q. Just back on the goalkeepers Alex, is it a case where you might be doing horses for courses policy this season, assessing who has the right qualities, the right man for the right game, is that the thinking?

"What the most important thing I am trying to achieve is to give them both experience of the English game. They are both young, they do not have the experience of a Van der Sar or a Schmeichel, so therefore alternating them is not a big problem for me. I think they are both equally very good goalkeepers. That's the policy I have been adopting last season and this season, although De Gea played most of the time last year, particularly after Anders was injured in March and didn't play the rest of the season, but no, I am comfortable with that situation."

Q. Sir Alex, you spoke on Friday obviously about the importance of supporters behaving themselves ahead of the Anfield game, can I just get your thoughts on the chants from a minority on Saturday in light of the club statement on the matter?

"Well I didn't hear it, but everyone seemed to do hear it. Particularly from the Director's box, David Gill was disappointed. But the chant is a new chant - it only started after the Suarez situation. But in the view and the climate after having spoken on Friday, asking our supporters to adhere to the policy that we want to adopt - that we're completely in support of Liverpool Football Club at this moment in time and we understand what those families must have felt during the week when they got that report - so it was disappointing to hear that. And you're right, it's a minority, you know, and in society there's a minority who want to be heard. That's the difficultly you've got nowadays. But as a club we're totally in support of Liverpool and the situation they're in. It's going to be a very emotional day on Sunday and we'll support them in every way we can."

Linius

I'm not that good in German, so there's not a really a point for me to go there. But I heard Bild zeitung called Vermeer a midget keeper, so I wonder what they're thinking after yesterday's match :p

I'm not that good in German, so there's not a really a point for me to go there. But I heard Bild zeitung called Vermeer a midget keeper, so I wonder what they're thinking after yesterday's match :p

Vermeer didn't strike me as exceptionally good. Sure, he saved that penalty but that was mainly Hummels' very poor shot.

Weidenfeller was awesome, though.

Linius

Vermeer didn't strike me as exceptionally good. Sure, he saved that penalty but that was mainly Hummels' very poor shot.

Weidenfeller was awesome, though.

Vermeer is quite a good keeper, especially at the goal line. He's got some great reflexes and can make great saves. But he's weak in the air, corners and free kicks are tense with him.

I haven't seen the game yesterday but from what I understand Ajax did good against you guys. That gives us hope for the rest of the matches at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom