• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxx

Wilbs just needs an Eboue tattoo like this:

BYUh289C3dtl_zps8fa09632.jpg

D_prOdigy

Maicon should not have played - Zabaleta is twice the player of him.

I'd actually like to see Zaba on the left and Richards on the right for the home tie. Richards has put Ronaldo in his pocket before and he can do it again. :D

City didn't start conceding until Maicon was taken off

LbX7R.jpg

And then fucked up dreadfully for Ronaldos goal, completely negating all the saves he'd made prior to that.

Kompany had a bigger part in conceding that goal than Hart. You can tell by Hart's reaction that he expected Kompany to cover a straight shot. Not an unrealistic expectation for your CB to deflect the ball elsewhere when it comes at him like an arrow.

Clegg

Nasri was awful for the 40 mins he played last night.

I don't think Milner is particularly good but he would have at least offered more protection for Citys fullbacks. They were left with one on ones with Madrids wingers too many times last night.

Kompany had a bigger part in conceding that goal than Hart. You can tell by Hart's reaction that he expected Kompany to cover a straight shot. Not an unrealistic expectation for your CB to deflect the ball elsewhere when it comes at him like an arrow.

It doesn't matter what he expected, he should have saved it. It shouldn't have got near him, but he still should have saved it

What are United fans hoping for from this CL campaign? To be honest, I'm not even that bothered about it right now, the league is the absolute #1 priority for me. I think the league should always be the #1 on the list anyway but after losing the title we did last season, the way we did...and to City, we need to get it back.

Obv. there is no reason why a club shouldn't aim for both the league and the CL but I don't really feel like we have a good chance of winning in Europe this year. Last year was the end of a cycle for us, we weren't as poor as the results indicated I don't think...but obv. we couldn't compete at the top level. After getting to 3 finals and a SF and QF in the previous 5 years, a really good run came to an end.

I think with the CL you always build up to something...and I think that's why the 08 win was so special. Because it almost felt like the culmination of the work and development of the team in the couple of years before that. We had got to the top and it's a shame that Barca came along and spoilt our party or we might have had 4/5 in the cabinet by now.

This season I think we need to start that process again with a team which is very different to that old one. I hope we perform better and show some class in the competition and get to the QF's. First things first we need to get through the group and I think tonight will be a tight and nervy affair after what happened last season.

Salazar

What are United fans hoping for from this CL campaign?

Verve.

Not to play at testimonial pace. I want our wingers to fucking run (which is why my skepticism about Young is surging at the moment). I want our midfielders to want the ball. I want our fullbacks to close down someone who looks like they're about to put a cross in.

elseanio

Some details on the weekend game:

Liverpool and Manchester United are confident Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra will shake hands before Sunday's Premier League match at Anfield as the clubs finalise plans to mark the release of the Hillsborough report.

Officials from both clubs have been in talks this week, with Sir Alex Ferguson stressing that United will support Liverpool in "every way" they can.

Captains Steven Gerrard and Nemanja Vidic will release 96 balloons before kick-off in memory of those who died during an FA Cup semi-final in 1989.

There will be a number of other tributes, among them crowd mosaics. Three sides of the ground will display messages. "The Truth" will be shown on the Kop, "Justice" on the Lower Centenary Stand and "96" on the Anfield Road end.

Any concerns surrounding Evra and Suarez, who was banned for eight matches for racially abusing the United defender last season, appear to have been allayed, with both clubs stressing the importance of all players respecting the occasion.

Hope the players get this right (really hope Suarez shakes Evras hand), and importantly the fans too.

Some details on the weekend game:

Hope the players get this right (really hope Suarez shakes Evras hand), and importantly the fans too.
To tell you the truth I am worried sick about this. I think United fans are going to let themselves down on the weekend, I really hope I am wrong and I'm really glad the club is actually taking the initiative by openly condemning fans and it's great Vidic will be involved with the presentations etc.

On Suarez/Evra - I hope they shake hands because otherwise it will just detract from the "occasion" but if either of them don't want to I really can't blame them. Suarez thinks Evra has lied and painted him as a racist, Evra think Suarez has racially abused him - if you're coming from either of those viewpoints I don't blame you if you don't want to shake the other guys hands.

Fergie

Banned
Dat Chelski reaction.
Haven't seen that scene with Chelsea team watching the Penalty and I watched that match live. WTF.
Is there a proper reaction video of this, youtube'd some time ago, and all it shows his Drogba wheeling off and Luis celeberating.

I love this kind of shit, feels epic.

To tell you the truth I am worried sick about this. I think United fans are going to let themselves down on the weekend, I really hope I am wrong and I'm really glad the club is actually taking the initiative by openly condemning fans and it's great Vidic will be involved with the presentations etc.

On Suarez/Evra - I hope they shake hands because otherwise it will just detract from the "occasion" but if either of them don't want to I really can't blame them. Suarez thinks Evra has lied and painted him as a racist, Evra think Suarez has racially abused him - if you're coming from either of those viewpoints I don't blame you if you don't want to shake the other guys hands.

I think Suarez and Evra will make bellends of themselves, promoting a fiery atmosphere. One bellend will start a Munich or Hillsborough chant, others will join in, the other side will retaliate and it will be the most embarassing and disappointing episode in Liverpool-Man Utd history, and that's saying something

I think Suarez and Evra will make bellends of themselves, promoting a fiery atmosphere. One bellend will start a Munich or Hillsborough chant, others will join in, the other side will retaliate and it will be the most embarassing and disappointing episode in Liverpool-Man Utd history, and that's saying something

The question here though is, will Evra even start the game?

Salazar

Mmmm. It's a bit of a shame how a sector of both clubs' supporters have set themselves up as being not just vociferously but dogmatically against the administration.

Of course, there have been the Glazers and Liverpool had their own American numpties. And an acerbic fan critique of those tossers is a good thing.

But you get wankers who react like smacked children when the club talks sense - who see every encouragement or gesture as paternalism or corporate autocracy or something fucken awful of some description that they have to fight against on egalitarian or nostalgic grounds.

But it's not even these kinds of idiots who will be the problem, if there is going to be one. There's not going to be a rationale for it - they'll just kick off.

The question here though is, will Evra even start the game?

It'd be a nice surprise - but a very substantial surprise - if he didn't. Büttner would be a gamble, though. I think he's the real thing, but I can't pretend he's not in need of lower-key experience in this league.

He's just mad Liverpool has more European Cups (or in your case, Milan).
I wish we had more European Cups.

I just think the league is the basics of any football club. You do well in the league every year and inevitably other trophies will come. If you're winning your championship every year you're bound to have a good shot at the continental trophy.

Mmmm. It's a bit of a shame how a sector of both clubs' supporters have set themselves up as being not just vociferously but dogmatically against the administration.

Of course, there have been the Glazers and Liverpool had their own American numpties. And an acerbic fan critique of those tossers is a good thing.

But you get wankers who react like smacked children when the club talks sense - who see every encouragement or gesture as paternalism or corporate autocracy or something fucken awful of some description that they have to fight against on egalitarian or nostalgic grounds.

But it's not even these kinds of idiots who will be the problem, if there is going to be one. There's not going to be a rationale for it - they'll just kick off.

The attitude has spilled onto the internet as well, as though hatred is the status quo and must be observed without any individual thought or rationality. This is the only place I'm aware of with genuinely good-natured banter between the two. On RAWK, Mancs just have to put a single toenail out of line, or make a comment at a certain time (following a loss normally :p) and they'll be abused to the point that they leave, even though I much prefer reading some of the Mancs' thoughts on there than knobends like A@A. On redcafe, they just continually take posts out of context and turn threads into a kind of digital gang-beating.

Attitudes have to change, and this Sunday could either see us take that first step, or more likely go even further down the rabbit-hole

I kinda know what you mean.

Well, the boss knows what he's doing, he'll do the right thing.

I hope he plays because he's a known quantity, and he's not been particularly good for the past couple of seasons. I hope he doesn't play as it negates the potential controversial non-handshake

dc89

Who do I support tonight?!

Obviously Galatasaray (spelling?) but then do I support Juventus (Yurt) or Chelsea (Fady) as both are nice to me! :D

It'd be a nice surprise - but a very substantial surprise - if he didn't. Büttner would be a gamble, though. I think he's the real thing, but I can't pretend he's not in need of lower-key experience in this league.

Yeah. I'm on the same boat as you, mate.

I would really love to see him more and after last week's performance he showed real promise. But then again that was just a game against a Wigan side that just didn't show up (no offence to any Wigan fans here).

Woops. Misunderstood it.

No problem. Funny how football gives you things like that though. Maicon was the worst player on the pitch, easily.

Better than Richards though

edit: Stuart Pearce is nearly as bad at acting as he is at football management. Sad indictment of the England setup that he's got such an important role

dc89

WTF?!

Is this true?

Raheem Stirling's third child has been born? More kids than PL appearances?

He'll be on Jeremy Kyle in a few months.

Facism

Gold Member
hilarious that people think man u will smash gala. Man U have sucked the fattest frozen shits this season whilst gala has been solid. You're going to be suprised and shamed by your lack of understanding.

SHAMED. LIKE IN A BUKKAKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom