• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Don't believe in jinxes. But I am of the view that it is better to be pessimistic and keep expectations low. Not to mention that excessive optimism, especially in the forms of predictions of victory, are likely to be thrown back in one's face upon defeat and the misery will be compounded by the memory of the previous optimism.

Well, I would be shocked if Chelsea failed to qualify ahead of Shaktar, though your position on optimism is certainly well founded, given human error in consistently over estimating outcomes.

I hate the UEFA, they accepted Gazprom as an official CL sponsor. That means blue and white Gazprom ads on the sideline. In the Westfalenstadion.

Watzke should sue them, they can do this shit in Gelsenkirchen but it's terrible to see that. Europa League please.
How exactly would UEFA go about getting any sponsorship if they had to ensure that sponsors were colour neutral?

elsk

Banned
I hate the UEFA, they accepted Gazprom as an official CL sponsor. That means blue and white Gazprom ads on the sideline. In the Westfalenstadion.

Watzke should sue them, they can do this shit in Gelsenkirchen but it's terrible to see that. Europa League please.

Hahaha, yes, now it feels like you're playing in Schalke stadium in every match.

qindarka

Banned
Man United's win over them was even more cruel tbh.

Oh, Moscow was terrible too. It's only since May 19 that I've been able to read up on that match again. However, the only point in which Chelsea blew victory was Terry's slip whereas Bayern blew it 3 times : giving up the 88th minute equaliser, Robben's penalty and losing a lead in the shootout. Also the fact that there were at home and were heavy favorites.

Don't see an English team winning it this year, though we always seem to get quite far in the competition.

I hope the English clubs do well again, though obv. I don't want any of them to win it unless it's us.

Going with Madrid as favourites. Barca and Bayern should also be there or thereabouts.

Any news about Manchester United lineup for today? I want to know if Vidic and Kagawa are starting.
Nothing yet but Vidic will almost certainly start. I expect Kagawa to start to but it's Frogson so really there is no way of knowing who will start in the front 6.

D_prOdigy

I can see Arsenal taking their current confidence and going far.

Expect to United to drop out as soon as they draw a tough team in the KO stages.

Meier

United will win by 3 goals today I think. I was 6-2 yesterday, had Milan and Zenit to win. I have Juventus winning or drawing against Chelsea.

fuenf

Oh, Moscow was terrible too. It's only since May 19 that I've been able to read up on that match again. However, the only point in which Chelsea blew victory was Terry's slip whereas Bayern blew it 3 times : giving up the 88th minute equaliser, Robben's penalty and losing a lead in the shootout. Also the fact that there were at home and were heavy favorites.

yep the equaliser alone was equal to Barcelona (e.g. NOT THIS SHIT again), Robben's penalty was a like watching a replay of the match against Dortmund (NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN 2x). And losing in PK's despite Neuer's heroics only added insult to injury and shock. Feeling like the fucking winnders 3 times before finally losing it was the worst :( (i still haven seen the medal ceremony for that matter, the only think constantly reminding me of this awful final are the Chelsea fans in this thread)

hilarious that people think man u will smash gala. Man U have sucked the fattest frozen shits this season whilst gala has been solid. You're going to be suprised and shamed by your lack of understanding.

SHAMED. LIKE IN A BUKKAKE.

I'm an optimist.
4-0 Utd. Ok 4-1 cause even the optimist in me says we've got to ship a goal.

As for the weekend. I hope it goes well and is another advert for English football.
Most ordinary fans have some mutual respect and I hope that shows.
I do hope it's still fiery though.
Less hate, more passion.

elsk

Banned
yet but Vidic will almost certainly start. I expect Kagawa to start to but it's Frogson so really there is no way of knowing who will start in the front 6.

Thanks. I'm going to put both anyway, I think the site is going to be down again a few hours before the kickoff.

All I'm saying is this. We were constantly written off last season and it worked out very well. I don't expect the same success this year, but it never hurts to be underdogs.

fuenf

All I'm saying is this. We were constantly written off last season and it worked out very well. I don't expect the same success this year, but it never hurts to be underdogs.

yeah be confident,it's only logic: the horseshoe was burried so deep in Chelsea's ass that it's unlikely it already got out.

la_briola

Was this posted? :lol

54BQ3.jpg

Episode #274774 of 'Benitez doesn't get it' said:
Barry appealed to us for a number of reasons. I have never been the sort of manager who prioritises a system above all else: I am willing to change and adapt my preferred formations given the strength of my squad or the requirements of a particular game. Barry was perfect: he could play as a central midfielder, of course, but he had some experience as an attacking left-back, which would be a useful option for home games where we were expected to go forward, and even as a left-winger. People who knew him told us he was a good professional, dedicated to his career, and a fine player. His nationality and price made him the ideal signing...

...We knew we would have to sell players that summer if we were to raise the funds to bring in the reinforcements [Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry] - and, in particular, the British reinforcements - we needed. That would require parting company with one of our current squad members who would fetch a substantial fee. We decided that the most likely candidate was Xabi Alonso, who had been a great player for us since we signed him from Real Sociedad, but had not quite performed to his best in the last couple of years. He remained coveted on the continent and we knew we had to make a sacrifice if we were to build the squad we needed.

Barry as a left winger for home games. Inspired. The lols that would have brought would've damn near killed me. Still, was worth getting rid of Alonso for. How'd that squad rebuild go?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Blurgh, Adebayor out of the Lazio game tomorrow with a hamstring pull. Hope he's not out too long, he needs to get his sharpness.

Even though last year I thought we had no chance there was just a little bit of belief that we could. This year I just don't think we can do it. We are not strong enough to become the first club to retain it. I do think it will be tough to get out of the group and I just hope I am wrong!

sohois

Barry as a left winger for home games. Inspired. The lols that would have brought would've damn near killed me. Still, was worth getting rid of Alonso for. How'd that squad rebuild go?

It is probably worth bearing in mind that Alonso's form in the prior 2 seasons to 2008 was pretty dire & his transformation largely came out of nowhere. Of course some will paint the attempt to sell him as some kind of idiotic decision, but in fact no one could have predicted how he would have done in the coming season. Furthermore, Barry was not to be utilised as a pure left-winger but rather as a left-sided midfielder in the formation, one that could cover for the forward excursions of Gerrard, Torres & Keane.

Liverpool sold Alonso for £30m.

They did well to get that much for him. He is a wonderful player but £30m is alot of money.

They just wasted it.

yella

Does anyone what channel the ManU v Gala game is going to be shown on? I'm trying to record it and I can't find it anywhere.

Meier

Blurgh, Adebayor out of the Lazio game tomorrow with a hamstring pull. Hope he's not out too long, he needs to get his sharpness.

Can't believe how little he has played thus far. His price on ESPN has dropped like .8 million or something since I bought him after the transfer. :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Can't believe how little he has played thus far. His price on ESPN has dropped like .8 million or something since I bought him after the transfer. :(

It's to be expected really. His stupid demands meant he missed the entire pre-season and we're back to the same repeated niggles he had last season. Still, JD is in good form and I expect we will still field a strong team.

K1LLER7

Played Resi 6 demo with a friend, game is so much more enjoyable Playing with someone.

United to win 3-0

(shinji, Young and RVP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom