• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
AzH6s1QCUAAEXu8.png:large

He wears too many of them not to know who some of them are IMO. But he uses them for pops at shows.

I'm going to send him a Jersey.

This will surely boost the reputation of my club.

Can't wait until Carragher retires tbh

Would anyone miss Lazio of they imploded?

Happy birthday Mumei. How do you pronounce your name btw? I think of it as Moo-may

Holy shit how did Fenerbahçe gave away that 2-0 lead in the last 10 minutes.

This is why I hate their coach, they have not even won 1 single Euro game in their hometurf under him.

I don't know if it has already been posted, but yesterday some journalists reported that Allegri and Inzaghi had a pretty rough argument: Inzaghi said that he stopped playing because of Allegri, who replied with "don't talk too much about me with others". Heh, nice season so far.
Some Athletic Bilbao fans were chanting "Llorente go to Juventus" during Bilbao's match today.

-

So I share a birthday with Shevchenko, Adem Ljajic, Andrea Poli and Per Mertesacker.

:(

And Berlusconi!

pappe

Savage says Arsenal can win the title. Fucking :lol

Its not an impossibility. The only vulnerability in your side is the defense and in the games you have played so far you have been defensively solid. If you can avoid injuries to key players and with Wilshere returning your chances are not too slim. This weekend will give a more clearer picture as to where you stand.

dc89

Savage says Arsenal can win the title. Fucking :lol

You've got a team capable of winning something this season - no doubt about it.

The title? I don't think so. But a trophy certainly. But Arsenal have to actually go do it and its shaking the monkey off their back!

Salazar

Some of the goals and defending is hilarious. The Liverpool vs. United game although with our game against City are the 2 games I'm really looking forward too at the weekend.

United v Liverpool will be a completely daft game.

I wholly expect (and apologise in advance) Young or Welbeck to fling themselves about within the first 15 minutes.

Likewise Suarez.

There's just no way on earth we get through this game without at least a couple of pens/disputed pens/blatant dives.

Salazar

SAF presser in a while.

Expecting a lot of "this is a grand occasion", "Brendan's an exciting young manager", "never easy to come to Anfield" - and the expression of hopes that idiot fans will behave.

I'd love some team info. I have a nightmare that he is going to start Giggs and Scholes.

To restate

---------------DDG
----Raf---Rio----Vidic---Büttner
Valencia--ClevGod--Carrick---Young
--------------Shinji
------------RVP

I basically want Clev to operate in our half so that Shinji doesn't have to. With Scholes, Shinji drops back to add mobility, and he shouldn't need to do that.

D_prOdigy

To restate

---------------DDG
----Raf---Rio----Vidic---Büttner
Valencia--ClevGod--Carrick---Young
--------------Shinji
------------RVP

Mostly agree, but I still think Nani would be potentially more useful on the left. I don't think Young's game is complex enough to really bother Liverpool's defence. So long as he isn't having a shocker, Nani would probably create more chances.

Of course, having said that Young will score two.

And we'll lose.

pappe

Mostly agree, but I still think Nani would be potentially more useful on the left. I don't think Young's game is complex enough to really bother Liverpool's defence. So long as he isn't having a shocker, Nani would probably create more chances.

Of course, having said that Young will score two.

And we'll lose.

Nani has been disgustingly awful since day 1 of this season.

dc89

Just listened to Liverpool's Chief Exec on TalkSPORT going through what they are doing prior to kick off on Sunday.

Sounds really nice and fitting.

I always neglect to check this thread... wish it wasn't buried in community :(

Spurs were mugged worse than Everton were the other night against Newcastle. Also, did Lazio's kit socks remind anyone else of those stockings that emo girls wear?

Quite pleased watching Liverpool... it was a messy game defensively, and the opposition will be much much tougher on Sunday, but some of the young lads and new signings look well worth giving a go. It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers feels brave come Sunday and gives one or two of them a run.

I also watched the first episode of Being: Liverpool. I'm not sure how I feel about it really. Bren seems to like waffling on, and he borders on sounding pretentious, but its also clear that he knows what he's doing and believes in what he's doing - which I like. Seeing the training culture and the way the foreign lads stick together in their own time was encouraging. The funniest part is Pacheko asking one of the Red Sox - "what's this?" - and the answer comes back "a ball". Also, that silly medidation / balance mumbo jumbo where you can see they're all just buzzing off it. I can't help but feel this might be a bad idea if they don't start getting results - because you'd be seeing their amazing houses and cars on TV every week, and then seeing what they do for it on the pitch - it could act as ammunition for some people.

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup said something interesting last night regarding match fixing. Whilst being paid to lose games is obviously wrong on many levels, he argued that there is nothing wrong in a club paying another team to win a match. The scenario Laudrup describes could involve a club in the relegation zone paying a team a bonus if they beat one of their closest rivals, enabling the threatened club to stay up.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup said something interesting last night regarding match fixing. Whilst being paid to lose games is obviously wrong on many levels, he argued that there is nothing wrong in a club paying another team to win a match. The scenario Laudrup describes could involve a club in the relegation zone paying a team a bonus if they beat one of their closest rivals, enabling the threatened club to stay up.

I think what Laudrup said is garbage. One club shouldn't be paying to influence another clubs result, win or lose. Imagine if Spurs had paid West Brom on the last day of last season.

Empty

i don't like it. football is grubby enough with regard to money and a) it hurts teams that have less to throw around and b) it potentially creates a culture where players would only reserve their best performances for when the extra incentive is paid.

i'm also not that surprised it's coming from laudrup given that he helped found a free market, libertarian think tank.

Salazar

I don't like the idea of tightening the relation between incentives and money. It's already pretty fucking tight.

And clubs (especially those around the relegation zone) shouldn't be spunking money on things like bonuses to other sides. What money you have, you spend on developing the club, appropriately remunerating its staff, and cultivating its charitable and socially binding presence in the community. It takes the piss out of those responsibilities to do anything else.

Edit: beaten.

To give Laudrup an atom of credit, it's not as offensively fucking horrible an idea as AVB's "let's have reserve teams from the big clubs play in the Championship".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom