• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
To give Laudrup an atom of credit, it's not as offensively fucking horrible an idea as AVB's "let's have reserve teams from the big clubs play in the Championship".

Yeah, that was utter drivel. Thankfully the U21 and U18 have some actual competitions to play in this season.

Nyx

Roda JC - FC Utrecht tonight, will definitely watch.
Hopefully the boys can continue their play of last week's homegame vs PSV, but normally it's a good game vs a big club, followed by a lacklustre game vs a smaller one...

And after that, hopefully I can squeeze in some PES 2013, just need to convince my GF that it's better than watching the telly.

neoanarch

To give Laudrup an atom of credit, it's not as offensively fucking horrible an idea as AVB's "let's have reserve teams from the big clubs play in the Championship".

Oh come on. The Laudrup thing is clearly much worse. The b teams in lower division side works in other nations. Paying to influence a game directly from one club to another is cheating no matter the intended outcome.

Yen

Think Laudrup's idea is a lot worse than AVB's* championship idea.

*though AVB is not the only manager to want this. Moyes and Rafa, off the top off my head.

Salazar

The b teams in lower division side works in other nations.

Spanish football does maintain a state of unfair dysfunction, mmmmhmmm.

It "works" because clubs deal with it. Like they deal with the rancid anti-egalitarian absurdity of the tv deal. Championship football deserves attention and respect in its own right: for fuckers at the top of the pyramid to colonise levels below them is just an utter, naked confession that they know fuck all and care fuck all about football's cultural and social role.

Fine if it's in place in other countries. But when somebody approaches with the proposal to implement it, I can't muster any morally defensible response other than "go fuck yourself". As we saw when AVB brought it to the surface, this attitude gets you labelled as a xenophobe. Some supposedly professional and moderately intelligent journalists took this angle. It was bizarre. As if there were some kind of proud, bigoted ignorance about wanting to maintain at least some residue of fairness in the structure of football in Britain.

*though AVB is not the only manager to want this. Moyes and Rafa, off the top off my head.

Fair play. Anyone who backs it deserves the same scorn.

W9s3r.png
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

/edit
I guess it's not really news-worthy though..

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup said something interesting last night regarding match fixing. Whilst being paid to lose games is obviously wrong on many levels, he argued that there is nothing wrong in a club paying another team to win a match. The scenario Laudrup describes could involve a club in the relegation zone paying a team a bonus if they beat one of their closest rivals, enabling the threatened club to stay up.

What are your thoughts on this?

Bullshit.

This really disappoints me.

dc89

How would you read Mancini's expression there, dc90342 ?

Fear ?

Haha. I think he was listening to a question about Nasri and his injury. So his expression is that of great sadness.

Mancini said although City are trying, Nasri will probably miss the Arsenal game but be ok for the following week.

Aguero is FIT!

Hmm, so I'm starting to think about Liverpool vs Man United.

Going from the selections in the last two games, I sense we will line up with..

DDG
Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
Valencia Carrick Clev Welbeck
Kagawa RVP

Cleverley hasn't played for us since England duty, which is surprising to me really - but with Scholes playing twice this week Fergie surely isn't daft enough to send him out for a 3rd time within the week in possibly the most hustle and bustle game of the season? Valencia was absolute horeshit midweek but you just know he is going to start. I kinda want Nani to play right side but Valencia is a safer bet, Liverpool will be strong down the left with Johnson and Sterling and Tony V can hopefully help pin them back a bit.

I don't want Welbeck to start out wide but you know he will so let's just accept it.

dc89

Pretty funny to go read the thread on MacRumours entitled Scuff Gate.

People's iPhone 5's are being delivery with scuffs, dents and scratches. And the black one just appears to be as delicate as a feather as the anodised aluminum bezel appears to mark and chip so easily.

Salazar

Sounds plausible.

Feel like Waz would have a poor game and pick up cards if he were fit.

If Valencia can roast Enrique as much as he has in the past, Liverpool could be fucked on that side. Likewise with Sterling and Raf/Evra, really, but Valencia on form is a player far in advance of Raheem.

Sounds plausible.

Feel like Waz would have a poor game and pick up cards if he were fit.

If Valencia can roast Enrique as much as he has in the past, Liverpool could be fucked on that side. Likewise with Sterling and Raf/Evra, really, but Valencia on form is a player far in advance of Raheem.
Yeah Rooney has always been pretty shit at Anfield, though in fairness, you could say the same for United in general.

Valencia will probs be up against Johnson. Enrique would be great cos he looks kinda hopeless at the moment but I reckon Tony V, if playing well, can more than trouble Johnson too.

If Sterling has a good game he will roast either of our full backs. Sounds nasty I know but somebody should hit him hard early on. See what the kid's made of.

Going from the selections in the last two games, I sense we will line up with..

DDG
Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
Valencia Carrick Clev Welbeck
Kagawa RVP

Cleverley hasn't played for us since England duty, which is surprising to me really - but with Scholes playing twice this week Fergie surely isn't daft enough to send him out for a 3rd time within the week in possibly the most hustle and bustle game of the season? Valencia was absolute horeshit midweek but you just know he is going to start. I kinda want Nani to play right side but Valencia is a safer bet, Liverpool will be strong down the left with Johnson and Sterling and Tony V can hopefully help pin them back a bit.

I don't want Welbeck to start out wide but you know he will so let's just accept it.

:'(

Woah, you're betting on the 4th German division? Imho that's too low for serious betting.

The (Chinese) betting mafia will do this to your chances:

iOR3KBJi5vsf1.gif

But by all means, I wish you luck.

bradley h friedel ‏@friedel_b
Just saw barthez comments. I normally don't comment on such crap but when disrespected by someone I don't respect I must.

Barthez was ignorant, disrespectful and out of order to mention my name.

Kyoufu

Just saw barthez comments. I normally don't comment on such crap but when disrespected by someone I don't respect I must.

Barthez was ignorant, disrespectful and out of order to mention my name.

What did Barthez say?

Linius

So, I wanted to watch a new drama serie that is still on the air. The thing was, I couldn't decide what to watch so I put five of them in some random picker generator and I'll go watch the one that gets to three first. Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, The Newsroom and Suits went in and Suits came out on top.

Heard lots of good things about that show :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom