• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The West Wing is in my poule with series that are done. Alongside The Wire, The Sopranos, Twin Peaks, Battle Star Galactica and Six Feet Under.

Yeah, so much to watch and so little time.

You know. I don't think I can name a complete TV drama as good as those six (bar BSG and its disappointing final season). In the realm maybe: The Shield, Freaks & Geeks, Band of Brothers, Life on Mars and FNL. I'd say Deadwood and Rome too but they don't feel quite so complete. Not to mention one-season wonders like Terriers and Luck.

Linius

You know. I don't think I can name a complete TV drama as good as those six (bar BSG and its disappointing final season). Maybe The Shield or Freaks & Geeks or Band of Brothers or Life on Mars. I'd say Deadwood or Rome too but they don't feel quite so complete. Not to mention one-season wonders like Terriers and Luck.

Freaks and Geeks is one of the best things to have ever aired on television. Such a talented cast and great story writing. And don't forget to add Firefly to your one season wonders list!

Watching the Sopranos ATM, it's great fun.

Bought the complete series of the West Wing for £35 recently, which I thought was a pretty good deal =D

Everyone's favourite RAWKite thinks that using Carragher yesterday paid off, as he stewarded the youngters through the game. Christ.

Someone at work left while they still owed me a fiver for betting on Germany to win the Euros while I backed Spain :(

#problemswithnight-shift:eatingwhenyou'renothungry #firstworldproblems

For the Mancs, there's no chance Enrique will start on Sunday. Rodgers will have seen what Valencia did to him last season, and can't have been too impressed by his performance yesterday. Funny that the two player who were supposed to keep things #steady were the main two who looked like they'd won raffle to play for Liverpool

Yen

Think Robinson should start playing left back after the United game. Enrique has been so poor now for about 8 months.

sohois

It must be said, to anyone considering watching the West Wing after some of the previous comments, don't. It really is incredibly mediocre. It's like a politics procedural or something. There is no real driving, overarching plot or development in the series. Characters will often simply disappear for long periods, even whole seasons, with absolutely no reasoning given. Furthermore, the main characters seem to have 2 personalities - one for comedy & one for serious political drama, switching between the 2 according to the needs of this weeks political problem. There are no real strong performances other than Sheen as the President. The music choices are poorly done, in particular the end credits music is ridiculous, with the same upbeat tune playing every time - the problem being that there will be some sombre & downbeat ending to an episode, when suddenly this cheery tune appears out of nowhere ruining the effect. Last but not least, there is a constant undertone of 'Murica, Fuck Yeah, throughout the whole series which is just irritating and seems particularly foolish given the current dysfunctional system in the US.

Think Robinson should start playing left back after the United game. Enrique has been so poor now for about 8 months.

Kelly's too promising to leave out of the team though. We somehow have to make sure that Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Kelly, Wisdom, Johnson and Robinson get enough minutes to keep them happy, and develop.

severin

It must be said, to anyone considering watching the West Wing after some of the previous comments, don't. It really is incredibly mediocre. It's like a politics procedural or something. There is no real driving, overarching plot or development in the series. Characters will often simply disappear for long periods, even whole seasons, with absolutely no reasoning given. Furthermore, the main characters seem to have 2 personalities - one for comedy & one for serious political drama, switching between the 2 according to the needs of this weeks political problem. There are no real strong performances other than Sheen as the President. The music choices are poorly done, in particular the end credits music is ridiculous, with the same upbeat tune playing every time - the problem being that there will be some sombre & downbeat ending to an episode, when suddenly this cheery tune appears out of nowhere ruining the effect. Last but not least, there is a constant undertone of 'Murica, Fuck Yeah, throughout the whole series which is just irritating and seems particularly foolish given the current dysfunctional system in the US.

You'll be hung, drawn and quartered for saying something like that on here, but yeah, I'd tend to agree with you. Similarly, I don't get the Breaking Bad circle jerk on here either, it is such a terrible, terrible show.

Linius

Similarly, I don't get the Breaking Bad circle jerk on here either, it is such a terrible, terrible show.

Stop it, please, stop it!

Edit

Just found out a Dutch club was giving away a copy of FIFA 13. They hid one near their stadium and whoever came first got it for free, today :(

Yen

Kelly's too promising to leave out of the team though. We somehow have to make sure that Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Kelly, Wisdom, Johnson and Robinson get enough minutes to keep them happy, and develop.

Would like to see either Wisdom or Kelly played in the middle, even if it's only the cups. Both are naturally CBs and we have enough RBs. Johnson, Flanagan (don't think he's good enough but worth keeping him as a homegrown player) and one of Kelly/Wisdom is plenty for one position, plus we have Ryan McLaughlin coming through, who is meant to be an excellent prospect. He's Northern Irish, he must be good, right?

pulga

Banned
You'll be hung, drawn and quartered for saying something like that on here, but yeah, I'd tend to agree with you. Similarly, I don't get the Breaking Bad circle jerk on here either, it is such a terrible, terrible show.

The fuck is wrong with you boy

Would like to see either Wisdom or Kelly played in the middle, even if it's only the cups. Both are naturally CBs and we have enough RBs. Johnson, Flanagan (don't think he's good enough but worth keeping him as a homegrown player) and one of Kelly/Wisdom is plenty for one position, plus we have Ryan McLaughlin coming through, who is meant to be an excellent prospect. He's Northern Irish, he must be good, right?

Coates needs those cup games though, unless Agger or Skrtel pick up a long-term injury.

3Sixty

Seems to have pre-ordered Borderlands 2 at some point as it was delivered today. Never played Borderlands and have no real interest in Borderlands 2.

Edit: Looked through emails, apparently an Argos pre-order mis price of £17.99, can't moan i guess.

Yen

Coates needs those cup games though, unless Agger or Skrtel pick up a long-term injury.

I'd play Coates and one of Kelly/Wisdom in the middle during cups. But we know that won't happen...

Jamie-Carragher-wants-Liv-007.jpg

I think Breaking Bad is a lot more contrived than some people think it is - for various reasons, including the central premise of the show, that pure meth is somehow a super-valuable commodity in the business of selling drugs to drug addicts (there's a great line from The Wire which skewers this point I'm sure) - but you can't deny that it's an excellent drama. The arch of Walt and who he becomes is just brilliant to watch. And the almost supernatural claustrophobic tension of the show has that X-Files DNA of terrifying mundane imagery you don't see often these days.

^^What is going on?!

I hope to get my hands on one at wednesday. Do we have a thread for a league or something yet?

Not sure. I probably won't do much with GAF outside of people in this thread or who I've played FIFA with in the past already. You're more than welcome to take some initiative though.

Linius

Not sure. I probably won't do much with GAF outside of people in this thread or who I've played FIFA with in the past already. You're more than welcome to take some initiative though.

Yeah, I meant for Footeygaf since I found out lots of dudes in here play it on xbox too. Don't really care for the rest of Gaf :p

Have you guys done a footeygaf league before?

Clegg

The guy that started that thread must be a joke poster.

He's already admitted that he went a week without bathing just because he didn't have anywhere to go.

Sir Alex has written the following letter to Man United fans ahead of this weekend's game at Anfield, all United fans attending the game will be given a copy of it at the turnstiles.

Today is about much more than not blocking gangways. Today is about thinking hard about what makes United the best club in the world.

Our rivalry with Liverpool is based on a determination to come out on top, a wish to see us crowned the best against a team that held that honour for so long. It cannot and should never be based on personal hatred.

Just ten days ago, we heard the terrible, damning truth about the deaths of 96 fans who went to watch their team try and reach the FA Cup final and never came back. What happened to them should wake the conscience of everyone connected with the game.

Our great club stands with our great neighbours Liverpool today to remember that loss and pay tribute to their campaign for justice. I know I can count on you to stand with us in the best traditions of the best fans in the game.

I don't think the club can do much more ahead of this game. Sadly, and I really hope I'm wrong, I don't know if it will be enough,

Yeah, I meant for Footeygaf since I found out lots of dudes in here play it on xbox too. Don't really care for the rest of Gaf :p

Well, myself and sneaky77 have both tried our hands at managing a league, and it is pretty difficult to do. Interest gets lost most of the time. We have never kept it exclusive to footyGAF, but that wouldn't be easy to do.

We have done tournaments successfully before though. The problem with leagues is that if someone has a bad start, they stop showing up.

Also, you're more than welcome to add me on xbox, GT is the same as my username.

^^What is going on?!

I'll play you sometime although I'm terrible

Viva - its heavy he's infamous in footy Gaf I think he's just a little socially awkward rather than a troll

Yen

I don't know about a league but I'd definitely want to play against footy-gaf, even if I haven't played FIFA since 09PSP and don't know the controls.

D_prOdigy

The guy that started that thread must be a joke poster.

He's already admitted that he went a week without bathing just because he didn't have anywhere to go.

I've seen him around on gaming quite a bit. He's not a joke poster, and I'm 99% certain he's serious about everything he wrote.

For the record, I think Sunhi's gif was better.

dc89

Right, FIFA 13.

Do I get it on 360 or PS3. My last 2 FIFA games have been on 360. But... is it time for a change?!

Inb4 what do your friends have it on, cause I don't really play games with my friends to be honest.

I have none, being a ruthless PR dog scared them away

I'll be getting it on PS3, but I'm really quite shit at FIFA so I doubt I'll muster up the courage to get beaten by you lot.

Edit: I'm not cool :(

Sir Alex has written the following letter to Man United fans ahead of this weekend's game at Anfield, all United fans attending the game will be given a copy of it at the turnstiles.

I don't think the club can do much more ahead of this game. Sadly, and I really hope I'm wrong, I don't know if it will be enough,

jsNnhLNjJY6gg.jpg

elsk

Banned
I'm really liking FIFA 13 so far, I haven't touched the career mode because I will wait for the day 1 update on squads to start my career. But the game is so much better and different/improved than previous versions. You can even pick the season (summer, etc) not just the time of day and it reflects on the stadium.

Fry

I'm really liking FIFA 13 so far, I haven't touched the career mode because I will wait for the day 1 update on squads to start my career. But the game is so much better and different/improved than previous versions. You can even pick the season (summer, etc) not just the time of day.

Game is out already???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom