• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Crazy afternoon. Had a chilli with Phil Brown in the Wednesday press room, filmed the match for them, and then the press conferences, and had a close encounter with Jay Spearing and N'Gog by the dressing rooms after the game. I was about a metre away from them and it took all my will power not to jump on Jay's back and ruffle his stubbly hair.

And me and my mate got the jobs, so we both work in the Sheffield Wednesday press office for the remainder of the season. It's unpaid experience, but they pay off any expenses and the foods both free and plentiful.

Linius

Yeah, I know I would feel robbed when I'm paying 20 euro's to play it a few days earlier.

In the meanwhile I'm tweeting some big stores in my area for their prices but they won't let it slip yet. Hopefully they go all out again so I can pick it up somewhere cheap.

hcXVS.jpg

Also, these are the kits EA is hiding since a few days. There's just been a new clue for one, but it's like 150 kilometer from my house :(

dc89

Birmingham are being dismantled at home.

Losing 4-0 to Barnsley. It's on Sky Sports 2 now guys and there are more goals in this because Birmingham are all over the show at the back.

Bumhead

Banned
We have got a relegation fight on our hands this season. Jones did an incredible job last year but he's changed too much too quickly. The heart and soul has gone.

Four defeats on the bounce puts us firmly in trouble and DJ in dangerous water. I like Jones but current form can't continue. We have looked a fucking disaster for the last month.

dc89

No surprise but Chelsea and City oppose spending limits. lol

And why should they?! Didn't see United wanting a level financial playing field when they were spunking £30m on Rio Ferdinand and Veron did we?

inb4 something something something ownership might make City bankrupt.

Yeah crazy that some clubs don't want to give up competing with other leagues.
Some clubs will still be competing :)

And why should they?! Didn't see United wanting a level financial playing field when they were spunking £30m on Rio Ferdinand and Veron did we?

If the proposed limits were in place then...United would still have been within then. So would make no difference with regards to that.

rodvik

I should've known better than to get so excited over the past 17 days. I feel so empty now.

I know :( Hopefully it is just a blip. But yeah, its an embarrassing result.

Birmingham are being dismantled at home.

Losing 4-0 to Barnsley. It's on Sky Sports 2 now guys and there are more goals in this because Birmingham are all over the show at the back.

This helps!

Yen

But United could afford to spend that money. They didn't have a sugar daddy.

dc you need to understand the difference between the two.

Soi-Fong

We're not funded by oil first of all, and second unlike you guys we actually make a profit unlike the huge ass deficit you guys posted last year as well all the money we earn we get from the pitch.

I don't oppose clubs spending. I oppose certain teams winning the lottery.

dc89

But United could afford to spend that money. They didn't have a sugar daddy.

Afford can be looked at a few ways. For example we don't owe anyone a penny, nope not a single penny.

dc you need to understand the difference between the two.

Blue glasses inhibit my learning.

We're not funded by oil first of all, and second unlike you guys we actually make a profit unlike the huge ass deficit you guys posted last year as well all the money we earn we get from the pitch.

I don't oppose clubs spending. I oppose certain teams winning the lottery.

Give City 5 years, Soriano will turn our finances around, just like he did at Barca.

Of course we were going to have a massive deficit, we had a set time frame to go from mid table no bodies to a team who can compete at the top.

Soi-Fong

Afford can be looked at a few ways. For example we don't owe anyone a penny, nope not a single penny.

Give City 5 years, Soriano will turn our finances around, just like he did at Barca.

Of course we were going to have a massive deficit, we had a set time frame to go from mid table no bodies to a team who can compete at the top.

lol You guys have a deficit because you're owner spends crazy money on players as well as paying outrageous wages per year.

Oh and Man City does owe somebody. The city of Abu Dhabi and the massive reserves of oil that sits under the UAE.

jtb

Banned

The wage bill alone is greater than turnover at City. Let's not play semantics here; City, the football club, can't "afford" this spending and it's not self-sustaining in its current model. It'll take some ridiculous revenue growth in the next five years for Soriano to change anything about that.

Yen

Before the Glazers came, they didn't have debt problems. Whereas City have just spent atleast £500m of their owners money.

It's worth bearing in mind that Barcelona are some 550m Euro in debt. They made a profit last year, but it was by no means a big one.

When you consider how much Barcelona's brand is worth and how successful Barca have been lately (you can't really get much better)...his task at City is monumental compared to what he did at Barca.

Soi-Fong

The wage bill alone is greater than turnover at City. Let's not play semantics here; City, the football club, can't "afford" this spending and it's not self-sustaining in its current model. It'll take some ridiculous revenue growth in the next five years for Soriano to change anything about that.

That's the thing. Just because City has been bought out doesn't mean it becomes well-known overnight.

Teams turn a profit off ticket sales, sponsorships and merchandise sales. The third of those I'd reckon City is way behind just because the team is not well known outside of England (except maybe the UAE itself).

Certainly, here in the US where I go to Uni all I see are people wearing United, Arsenal or Chelsea jerseys since these are the teams with a lot of history. And I guess from time to time I see Liverpool jerseys.

dc89

lol You guys have a deficit because you're owner spends crazy money on players as well as paying outrageous wages per year.

Oh and Man City does owe somebody. The city of Abu Dhabi and the massive reserves of oil that sits under the UAE.

banner595.jpg

They are thanked.
yeah it's massive

If you believe what you read Soriano turned €57 million loss into profits of €88 million in five years.

So let's see him work his magic.

Soi-Fong

banner595.jpg

They are thanked.
yeah it's massive

If you believe what you read Soriano turned €57 million loss into profits of €88 million in five years.

So let's see him work his magic.

You're high on something if you think one guy can turn around a club's finances all the while spending remains as careless as ever.

dc89

You're high on something if you think one guy can turn around a club's finances all the while spending remains as careless as ever.

The summer we've just had was pretty tame for City spending to be honest.

We balked at the demands for Hazard.

If City can turn around their finances, it'll be solely down to deals with Qatar Airlines, Etihad etc
Pretty much.

Using Soriano's work at Barca as a guide is foolish. Barcelona's situation and strategy and City's are just world's apart, both in a footballing sense and financially.

The summer we've just had was pretty tame for City spending to be honest.

We balked at the demands for Hazard.
It will almost certainly still result in a loss.

Fry

You're forgetting you still have numerous players that are getting outrageous wages every week.

Wayne Michael Bridge (born 5 August 1980) is an English footballer who plays as a left back for Football League Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion, on loan from Manchester City.

:lol

There's a rumour that a media outlet will have wired-up reporters in the Kop/United end for tomorrow's game to record any unpleasant chants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom