• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

Celebration of the decade.

973244_o.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We look a mess right now, too anxious and too many players dawdling on the ball. We need to get Dembele on the ball more and I'd consider bringing Caulker on, pushing Vertonghen to LB and putting Bale on the LW.

Is it Johnson-bad, where he'll be perfect for 89 minutes then cost you a goal with a lapse in concentration, or is it Carragher bad where he'll fuck up wheever there's a player near him?

It's just a young defender being a bit naive. He is at Gibbs level if we are being honest, though is potential is better.

Arnie

Seriously Arsenal, zonal marking?

Zonal marking is brilliant, it just has a habit of making a team look stupid when they concede using it. Regardless of appearances though, if employed effectively you'll concede less goals than man marking. You'll concede eventually using either.

Zonal marking is brilliant, it just has a habit of making a team look stupid when they concede using it. Regardless of appearances though, if employed effectively you'll concede less goals than man marking. You'll concede eventually using either.

Out of interest which teams in a physical centric league have effectively used zonal marking?

You could maybe put together a dossier? Idk.

Its just ridiculous that we have this £multi-billion organisation who have absolutely no reason to ensure that the referees they employ are up to standard, because there is no process that can be followed when they fuck up, outside of the FA's bullshit 'inflict them on a lower league' punishment.

Is it out of order and/or inaccurate to say that Halsey's always been a poor referee whose reputation was given a boost when he was diagnosed with cancer?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Whatever happens Sigurdsson needs to come off.

Yeah, when we can't hold the ball it's pointless. Gylfi off, Caulker on, Clint behind JD, Vert at LB and Bale at LW. We have to change it, we are not creating any chances.

Arnie

Out of interest which teams in a physical centric league have effectively used zonal marking?

Liverpool conceded less goals from set pieces using it than when man marking. I remember reading statistics about how we conceded less from set pieces than other top teams when using it, yet every time we conceded a goal with it it was over analysed and chewed up. As I say, it looks terrible when you concede with it, whereas when you concede using man marking it at least looks like the defenders are trying to defend.

It's an interesting one, as corners are becoming more and more like Basketball inbound routines with runners and screens.

When were Liverpool using Zonal? Under Rafa?

Plasma

Banned
Just need to come out at half time and keep the pressure up like we have done through the first half, we'll get a goal back eventually.

Does anyone know how long Szczesny is out for?

sohois

The thing with Zonal marking is, anytime a goal is scored against a team using it, the blame is placed on the system. If it's man-marking, the blame is placed on the man, no one ever says, "oh, zonal marking would have stopped that goal". Zonal marking probably wouldn't stop all these goals, but blaming the system in one case and the personnel in another is foolish.

The thing with Zonal marking is, anytime a goal is scored against a team using it, the blame is placed on the system. If it's man-marking, the blame is placed on the man, no one ever says, "oh, zonal marking would have stopped that goal". Zonal marking probably wouldn't stop all these goals, but blaming the system in one case and the personnel in another is foolish.

Andy Gray: 'The thing is, with man-marking it lets you blame the player, which is good'

Andy Gray: sexist JT

I'm thinking with Zonal Marking that it'd be easy to exploit if you were aware a team used it. You could overload one area with your best aerial threats.

Salazar

fuck I just woke up how was the utd - pool game?

I hope it got a lil nasty in here

AO2h5.jpg

We were like a food-poisoned Stoke. Abysmal. Liverpool looked good-ish, and we helped them look good.

Long balls to nobody. Lazy midfield passes going short/astray. Fuck all in the way of movement.

Arnie

It's an interesting one, as corners are becoming more and more like Basketball inbound routines with runners and screens.

When were Liverpool using Zonal? Under Rafa?

Yes.

Both systems are exploitable. Prime example being Liverpool's corner today where Gerrard cut across the edge of the box to reach the ground pass; the defender was never staying with him, and other Liverpool players were able to draw United defenders out of that area.

In my opinion, if teams prioritise it enough both systems are beatable. Defending set pieces is all percentages to me, you're always going to concede them, it's about making it more difficult for the opposing team.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal were simply too static in that corner, even with zonal marking you're supposed to go for the ball at least. :/

Arnie

I can't even muster the humility to say congratulations, so unearned was the win

Same. Congratulations to the club's behaviour before, and during the game, but not for the result. So harsh, and it genuinely perturbs me that Halsey won't be adequately punished.

Arsenal were simply too static in that corner, even with zonal marking you're supposed to go for the ball at least. :/
It's all about communicating your zones. Mistakes come when players don't realise it's their zone, and don't attack, and the whole team and system looks inept.

jtb

Banned
Goal aside (lol), we've been so much better than City; really have to make sure we don't get caught out on the counter and we can still get 3 points out of this.

And... Mancini taking Sinclair off already? lol he's playing for the 1-0 isn't he...

Tc91

Rodwell on for Sinclair so that means Yaya is gonna be pushed upfield.

Why does Mancini do that? Just start him more upfield instead of wasting a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom