• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Confession time:

I used to like Barcelona. Loved the way they played under Rijkaard. Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Xavi, Deco, were all a joy to watch. They played with such speed and skill and I admired them for it.

But I can only feel antipathy for the current Barca team. They have the three best players in the world on their team but their antics disgust me. Surrounding the ref after every tackle, the gracelessness in defeat, tapping up players through the media, the constant favoritism shown to them by referees and, worst of all, the serial diving and cheating of Dani Alves, Busquets and Sanchez.

I also dislike the new trend of fans that Barcelona have bred. One know the ones I'm talking about. Those who say that defensive teams don't deserve to win because they didn't go out there and try to commit suicide by taking Barca on. These people don't know their arse from their elbow as far as I'm concerned. They'd rather wank off to players passing in pretty triangles.

Awesome post.

fuck they are not showing Madrid on Beinsport in English. god damn

Hixx

JT retiring from intl football
3AQmK.gif

I want to get in on some Corporal Jenkinson love. Start of the season I was a bit rough on him because he looked like he was always under pressure whenever he recieved the ball but now he is playing with his head up and is very solid. I'm really liking the guy.

Also just saw this on twitter

proxy.jpg
That's really touching.

I had no idea that he and his family are huge Arsenal fans, truly a dream come true for them. He was woeful last season, but he's actually looking pretty good now. Hope he can keep this up not only for the club's sake, but also because of he seems like a nice bloke.

Has anyone else paid for that advanced download thing for FIFA?

I kind of want to do it but I can't shake the feeling that I'm an absolute chump for spending £20 on 5 days of early access.

If you did it last year, your Season Pass is still active and you can download it for free. Online is crooked though. Constant disconnections and freezing of console for me

Yeah, that post by Fady is off. I also don't get this accusation of cheating when no decision ever goes in United's way at Anfield in the past.

Based off the performance today, Liverpool deserved to win, but as a certain Chelsea fan stated here, the game is based off goals.

Kagawa's chest assist was superb for Rafael. Just really wish Rafael would step up in his defensive abilities.
To touch on this. Viva quoted my post yesterday where he elaborated slightly and I agreed with him.

I'm not saying that there is never an argument for one team deserving a win over another. I was speaking specifically about yesterdays game. For example...

When we beat Wigan last season with two offside goals. I would be more than happy to concede that Wigan deserved a win. We won due to errors made by the officials in a game were we were bettered by Wigan. They deserved a win in a game that ended 2-1.

I take great exception to the concept of "deserving" when it's in regard to say, the Champions League semi final games with Barca. People were saying that Barca deserved the win because they played better football. Frankly, that's ridiculous. They may have played the best and most attractive football the world has ever seen, but they didn't score enough, and that's why they didn't deserve to win and why we did.

In yesterdays example I disagreed with you because the general feeling was that Stoke had for the most part matched us - which they had. However, I couldn't agree that in this case Stoke deserved a draw because in the end, what separated us from Stoke was a legitimate goal.

So, whilst I agree that there is an argument to be made for one team deserving a better result. The only time I can justify such an argument is in scenarios where the "deserving" team are victims of officiating errors and things of that nature. But lets be honest, people will justify this argument for just about any reason that suits them. And that's were my problem with it lies.

Finally, in the case of today's game perhaps there is an argument for Liverpool deserving to win. But really, every team finds themselves on both ends of contentious decisions. And personally, I'm a firm believer that these things, generally speaking, even out.

Dibbz

Yeah. we usually tail off (read: implode) in February because of the huge fixture congestion of League cup + FA + Champions League + League where everything is must win and so no one's ever rested and everyone gets overplayed and the results are disastrous. So far, everyone seems replaceable with the exception of Cazorla... we'll have to see if Wilshere can step up (or maybe the Ox could play down the middle) to see if we can really rotate the squad. If we can... trophy potentially?

We looked very threatening when Giroud came on, I feel like he could be pretty effective against an unstable partnershi like Luiz and Terry next week. I'm even more confident about the Chelsea game than I was about the City game; their central midfield is pretty terrible atm.

If everyone stays fit (lol) we at least should have the option to rotate, Arteta, Wilshire, Ramsey, Cazorla, Diaby, Rosicky, Coquelin in the middle which should help for later in the season. Up front is pretty barren though.

Stimpy

So Rayo Vallecano season ticket holders had to pay another 25 euro's to watch the Real Madrid game, no wonder they are pissed off.

I'll never agree with the theory that bad decisions even themselves out. In a game where a single point can mean the difference between champions and runners-up, survivors and relegation-sufferers, I just don't see how it can apply. It can come close, sure. Most teams generally deserve to finish where they finish. But a club can be given 2 wrong penalties in a season, and concede 3. People will say that's about even, but that penalty can easily be the difference between 17th and 18th. Not even enough.

X-Factor is definitely the most annoying popular programme in Britain

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What a glorious day. Farewell you awful man.

Caulker, this is your chance.

Bumhead

Banned
I'll never agree with the theory that bad decisions even themselves out. In a game where a single point can mean the difference between champions and runners-up, survivors and relegation-sufferers, I just don't see how it can apply. It can come close, sure. Most teams generally deserve to finish where they finish. But a club can be given 2 wrong penalties in a season, and concede 3. People will say that's about even, but that penalty can easily be the difference between 17th and 18th. Not even enough.

I think it evens itself over time, not just a season. Yeah, a team might well get relegated on a decision, but it might be a decision further down the line that wins them a promotion or a trophy. It might be some years later. I don't believe the "works itself out" theory is ever restricted to a single season.

I missed a fun day it seems

For me the Jonjo one looked a clear red and I still think it is but on repeated views it seems Evans may have been lucky to get away with it

As for the penalty at first it looked clear cut then a dive and then maybe a push, at full speed it looked a pen and Johnson made a mistake jumping in like that

Such a shame A handful of fans needed to ruin things

So, John Terry retiring from international football… Chelsea's gain i suppose. His fitness has been a bit crap in the last season or two.
Good stuff, wasting his time with England anyway.

X-Factor is definitely the most annoying popular programme in Britain
Right, so maybe the team who would of finished 17th but finished 18th because of a bad decision do so. But maybe that team who now finished 18th had a decision go their way during a game against the team who finished 2nd. And it turns out that, oh dear, that decision cost them 1st. What are you going to do? This could go round in circles all day long.

Swings and roundabouts.

And anyway, how often can somebody pin down a particular bad decision that ultimately cost them a valuable place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom