• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Allows others players to shine by being shit?

And what?

Just because he has both the stamina and finesse of a truck doesn't mean he should start for England. Who's Spain's workhorse that allows other people to play? Barcelona too? Madrid? Bayern?

It's a fucking fallacy if you think teams require a technically shit but utterly tireless runner in order to 'shine'.

It's not as if Milner is aware that's his job. It just happens to be he has less ability than everyone else so when he's seen to be the one still chasing the ball at the end of a match - admirable though it is - some people mistake that for more than just endeavour. I don't think he necessarily covers a full back very well but because he isn't all attacking and bells and whistles people mistake it for doing a defensive job.

Whoa! Aim this stuff at Winter. Not me.

Here is the article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-he-deserves-more-than-the-workhorse-tag.html

"Milner is the man who serves the stars."

Milner gets a lot of unfair stick because...

It therefore beggars belief that our workhorse is playing in a position the requires creativity and skill. Grits my fucking shit in fact.

.... He is constantly played out of position. Hardly his fault.

FootballFan

Ahaha how have I never seen this before?

Haha it was the European Supercup. United had just won the CL(vs Chelsea) the previous season and Zenit won the UEFA cup(now Europa League vs Rangers).

That UEFA cup was great, I remember the Bayern - Getafe 2nd leg, crazy game ended 3-3.

A handball doesn't need to be intentional for a penalty to be given.

This isn't true. On page 115 of the Fifa Law Book

bF5vy.png

There are multiple references to this clarification. Yet [the distinction between ball to hand and handball] it is consistently ignored, or worst, unknown to many

FootballFan

This isn't true. On page 115 of the Fifa Law Book

There are multiple references to this clarification. Yet [the distinction between ball to hand and handball] it is consistently ignored, or worst, unknown to many

If you are in a wall during a free kick and your arm is way up high out of position and the ball hits it, it will be a penalty, was it intentional? Nope but it still is a penalty. Though I do agree that a lot of handballs are wrongfully called, I am just saying it doesn't always have to be deliberate.

If you are in a wall during a free kick and your arm is way up high out of position and the ball hits it, it will be a penalty, was it intentional? Nope but it still is a penalty. Though I do agree that a lot of handballs are wrongfully called, I am just saying it doesn't always have to be deliberate.

Yes, but this is wrong - wrong in the sense that it shouldn't be happening. A penalty for a handball should only be given when it is deliberate, which admittedly is quite rare when you look at all the circumstances judged 'handball'.

Funnily enough I would have suggested Müller as striker as well. In fact, that might be a good future role for him in general.

Anyway, I agree about Khedira. I don't think he contributes much, but I really like his attitude. But I fear that's not enough.

Edit: Also if Gomez had played like Klose today, the moaning and groaning would be deafening.

1) well yeah, Müller needs to gain some muscle and turn into a Gerd instead of Thomas, lol
Seriously though I do see his future there as well.
2) Kheds is straight up G and currently the only one to hold that status in the NT. He's the only real constant in the team and I don't really see anyone to replace him. There is a reason why he's basically always playing for Mou.
3) yes, because Gomez would also manage to look like the wooden limb pirate from Family Guy while playing like shit.

I think a midfield like this could be really interesting :

-Reus - Kroos - Götze--
---Schweini - Bender---

I mean you'll lose them creativity by replacing Özil with Kroos but Reus and Götze on the wings should more than make up for that. Kroos is a better defender than Özil too, he's just not a defensive midfielder. And like i said before, i've never been a fan of Khedira. Just dont like his style, he can be awesome but most of the time he'll provide nothing special.

It wouldnt really matter who plays striker with that midfield, but Müller would be an interesting option.

Kroos would still drag out the plays though and do a huuuge amount of ineffective distance shots, lol
Götze & Schmelzer will prolly play a lot on left this season in Dortmund so I'd leave Götze on left to interact with Schmelzer. While Müller or Reus can be on the right wing.

dc89

If you don't wish to engage in discourse, why bring it up?

I just think he's a easy target for criticism. A bit like Barry. Both quiet lads on the whole who seem to just get on.

No trips to Las Vegas getting over weight, no mad Balotelli-esque antics. But woe betide them if they make a mistake.

G-Unit

ok guys, i need to get something off my chest.

If i was a succesful football player, and had tons of money of course, I would go to Colombia and Date this girl. Big chance of marrying her :p

5ld9L.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I just think he's a easy target for criticism. A bit like Barry. Both quiet lads on the whole who seem to just get on.

No trips to Las Vegas getting over weight, no mad Balotelli-esque antics. But wow betide them if they make a mistake.

He's an easy target because he's shit. I don't give a fuck what he does off the pitch, half our players are obviously wankers. But if they turn up and play well then what do I care?

It just utterly befuddles me that someone of his ability is in the first team of my country because he can run all day.

No trips to Las Vegas getting over weight, no mad Balotelli-esque antics. But wow betide them if they make a mistake.

Barry does his job.

And its not about the odd mistake. He offers nothing whatsoever to this England team that couldn't be offered with more on top by countless others

If i was a succesful football player, and had tons of money of course, I would go to Colombia and Date this girl. Big chance of marrying her :p

http://i.imgur.com/5ld9L.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

She seems classy. I get the impression you want to marry her because of her breasts?

England need to realise that to do well at international level you need to be able to keep the ball. It's not like we have amazing players in the final third who can feed off scraps and pull off amazing goals.

There is just no patience or sense of build up in the way England play.

Fergie

Banned
England need to realise that to do well at international level you need to be able to keep the ball. It's not like we have amazing players in the final third who can feed off scraps and pull off amazing goals.

Maybe get some Swansea players in?

dc89

He's an easy target because he's shit. I don't give a fuck what he does off the pitch, half our players are obviously wankers. But if they turn up and play well then what do I care?

It just utterly befuddles me that someone of his ability is in the first team of my country because he can run all day.

Barry does his job.

And its not about the odd mistake. He offers nothing whatsoever to this England team that couldn't be offered with more on top by countless others

So the manager picks him on what basis then?

There has to be a reason more than he can just run.

And the thing is half our players do not turn up and play well. Rooney at the Euro's - well he was a joke. Unfit, shouldn't have gone IMO.

Fëanor

5ld9L.jpg

Is that one of the Davalos twins?

Edit: I'm also picking up Fifa 2013 on pc.

Players I'd rather played instead of Milner on the right

Lennon
Walcott
Dyer
Gerrard
Adam Johnson

Players who would probably be better:

Sterling
Sinclair
Lallana

The 'why does the manager pick him then?' argument goes out the window when you remember that its Roy Hodgson at the helm

And the thing is half our players do not turn up and play well. Rooney at the Euro's - well he was a joke. Unfit, shouldn't have gone IMO.
Been a while, but...

WAYNE ROONEY!

Honestly dc, if City ever did sign him, jeez, you'd need to PR yourself before PR'ing the rest of the world.

Because England cant play. They haven't been able to, at least, in my memory. The commentators tonight remarked that English fans may not be used to this style of football, and that they must be patient to appreciate international football. They recognised the oddity of Englands style, or lack of, but labelled it as 'foreign' rather than 'garbage.

elsk

Banned
I don't know how they do it but all the colombian girls I've met in my life have big tits. What a great country.

bud

ah, the old "why does manager x/club x play him, then?" there are countless examples of managers letting shit players play, and clubs buying shit players.

dc89

Been a while, but...

WAYNE ROONEY!

Honestly dc, if City ever did sign him, jeez, you'd need to PR yourself before PR'ing the rest of the world.

I wouldn't be able to do that. I'd rather resign from my beloved position. I'd just have to stand down.

Clegg

I'm sure Hodgson has his reasons for picking Milner. Fuck knows what they are though as all he seems to do is run a lot He offers absolutely nothing going forward and isn't the best defensively either. He gets back a lot but that doesn't mean he's actually contributing effectively to the defensive effort.

Rooney will always be picked as even when he's overweight and unfit he still offers the chance of goals. I can't see anything positive that Milner actually offers.

Because England cant play. They haven't been able to, at least, in my memory. The commentators tonight remarked that English fans may not be used to this style of football, and that they must be patient to appreciate international football. They recognised the oddity of Englands style, or lack of, but labelled it as 'foreign' rather than 'garbage.
It's because they don't play with any set system or consistent philosophy. It's just a mish-mash.

And as ever, players who can keep the ball are not appreciated.

elsk

Banned
Kroos would still drag out the plays though and do a huuuge amount of ineffective distance shots, lol
Götze & Schmelzer will prolly play a lot on left this season in Dortmund so I'd leave Götze on left to interact with Schmelzer. While Müller or Reus can be on the right wing.

I may be wrong but... I thought Goetze was a CAM? And he was playing in the wing just because Kagawa was filling the CAM position already. I don't think Reus has what it takes (vision, passing) to fill the CAM position, it could be better to the team to play him as LW no?

Wilbur

Banned

Because Roy Hodgson is the moistest cookie cutter motherfucker there is

Irrelevant

Clegg

They don't exist
Carrick is very good at keeping the ball.

He isn't very mobile though. Against most opposition this isn't a problem but imo he struggles against a high class midfield that presses against him.

He does well against most PL and CL teams. The only teams I remember him really struggling against are City and Barca.

dc89

Because Roy Hodgson is the moistest cookie cutter motherfucker there is

Irrelevant

No it's not irrelevant. Rooney is the PL's biggest star according to some on here. He should be dedicated and we should get consistent performances out of him at international level, but we don't.

He just doesn't get the criticism though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom