• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
No it's not irrelevant. Rooney is the PL's biggest star according to some on here. He should be dedicated and we should get consistent performances out of him at international level, but we don't.

He just doesn't get the criticism though.

Of course he does! Have you not read a fucking newspaper article Henry Winter hasn't written since the Euros?

He gets criticised all the time, by people in this thread and by people in the paper, saying he was shocking at the Euros and has been poor for United since.

The difference is he has innate ability to be able to do something in a match. Milner doesn't. He's shite.

ah okay didnt know that, makes sense.
It's always been Großkreutz-Schmelzer - in 11/12, at times also Perisic-Schmelzer.
Götze & Schmelzer don't really play together that often except when Klopp oders the wingers to trade places to disrupt the opposition defense, but that only happens vs. weaker teams. They don't really know each other, unlike Müller-Lahm. And while Lahm had to play vs. Ivanchiz (Mainz player), the left wing had to deal with Arnautovic who looked super sharp for Bremen in the past few games. And still Lahm managed to basically gift the opposition a chance, lol
Lahm wasn't really better this time around. I also hated it how Reus & Götze basically ignored Schmelzer when he overran the Austrian defense, instead they pass him the ball in complete standstill and expect him to do tricks. That's not what he does, he's an old-school WB/FB who overruns the defense and crosses the ball, etc. He also passed the ball before the penalty..
I agree that he's not the optimal solution, but give him some fucking time with the team before ripping him apart.

I may be wrong but... I thought Goetze was a CAM? And he was playing in the wing just because Kagawa was filling the CAM position already. I don't think Reus has what it takes (vision, passing) to fill the CAM position, it could be better to the team to play him as LW no?
Whenever Kagawa was injured Lewandowski played CAM, or false 9 or whatever (in like 90% of the times) . Klopp needs that position to be filled by a player who can easily score goals.
Götze is getting more and more apt in that department, but Reus will always be miles ahead of him. Götze is rather slow, but he did his best games on the wings. He can be the play-maker on the wing as well. Hazard plays like that as well, doesn't he?
Reus is pretty good in terms of vision/passing, but he can't dribble the way Götze can. He needs much more room in front of him. It's comparable to Rib/Robb.

Clegg

No it's not irrelevant. Rooney is the PL's biggest star according to some on here. He should be dedicated and we should get consistent performances out of him at international level, but we don't.

dc, Rooney is by far he biggest star in the PL. You keep insinuating that he isn't but you're very, very wrong.

Rooney will always be selected for the England team as he is liable to score a goal even when he's playing poorly. Perhaps he does this more for United than for England but its club your form that gets you selected for your country.

I agree that Rooney should be more consistent for England but he's still the best English forward by miles. Milner, on the other hand, is just completely average in everything he does these days. He runs around a lot and you can't fault him for his effort but he offers nothing substantial to England. He's not wort having in the starting XI.

Bo-Locks

Because England cant play. They haven't been able to, at least, in my memory. The commentators tonight remarked that English fans may not be used to this style of football, and that they must be patient to appreciate international football. They recognised the oddity of Englands style, or lack of, but labelled it as 'foreign' rather than 'garbage.

The last time I saw England play well was in Japan/Korea WC 2002. They played well and were unfortunate to lose to a flukey goal from Brazil, who eventually won the tournament.

It's because they don't play with any set system or consistent philosophy. It's just a mish-mash.

And as ever, players who can keep the ball are not appreciated.

And that failure has to come down to the FA. Only now have they built a national training centre when other European countries have had their own for many years, and in terms of the quality, numbers of, and access to accredited coaches, we still lag way behind other European countries like Spain, Germany, Netherlands etc.

But who cares, we've got the most expensive stadium in the world with the most expensive trains in Europe, so the average fans can't afford to go and watch the shit national team anyway, while the FA toffs don't even bother to fill their seats. Beautiful!

GB cycling (and other Olympic teams) have shown what you can do when you get the funding, facilities, people, and then get a coherent strategy and follow it through.

The FA isn't (or certainly wasn't) short of money, the training facilities are just now getting up to scratch, and I still don't see any coherent strategy for the long term youth development. The FA gets 1.5 stars out of five. Until the FA gets their shit in order I can't see England winning a tournament in the next 10-15 years.

I'm a Utd fan and just last week I said that Rooney is overrated and if we could get £40m or more for him, then we should sell him. But he's still the biggest star in the PL. He plays for the biggest club and his superior commercial income shows that he's the PL's biggest star. That is indisputable.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there's gonna be a shitstorm in spain now that guardiola has openly expressed that he is in favor of Catalonia's independence.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
there's gonna be a shitstorm in spain now that guardiola has openly expressed that he is in favor of Catalonia's independence.

UH STFU pep lets be real Barça es un fucking negocio! Its like this shit i hear on american media but really why is gas 4 bucks a gallon?

Error

catalonia could make a pretty decent team.

montoya-puyol-pique-alba
----------busquets----------
-------xavi--------cesc-----
------Tello---Bojan?---Deulofeu

that team could win a world cup.

oh and valdes as gk

dc89

Martin Samuel has wrote a good piece for Banned Newspaper.

"Here's why United want cash curbs - they are scared of Manchester City."

Goes on to say why Gill only wants profits to be analysed as a marker of success. It's a bit obvious that Dave...

"There was no talk of curbs when United were the biggest beasts, unopposed."

BANG ON.

Gill wanting these rules now - it reeks of desperation. United don't like it, no, they can't stand it, the little neighbours are now a threat. A massive one.

K1LLER7

montoya-puyol-pique-alba

Not if they come up against England. They wouldn't be able to stop James Milner.

Wilbur

Banned

Goes on to say why Gill only wants profits to be analysed as a marker of success. It's a bit obvious that Dave...

BANG ON.

Gill wanting these rules now - it reeks of desperation. United don't like it, no, they can't stand it, the little neighbours are now a threat. A massive one.

Do you ever stop posting shit

Clegg

dc, I think you need to step away from the computer.

Quoting Martin Samuel is the road to ruin.

Its not just Gill that wants this btw.

A lot of PL clubs are pushing for it too.

dc89

Do you ever stop posting shit

It hurts doesn't it? Seeing your club get desperate. I know how it feels.

I know other clubs want it. Why wouldn't they? But it's ironic Gill is a strong advocate of it now.

Wind the clock back 8-10 years. Would he want it? Would he bollocks.

FootballFan

montoya-puyol-pique-alba

oh and valdes as gk

Yep Bojan would be in. Don't know if its a world cup winning team, inexperience in Tello/Deulofeu/Montoya. But still, damn good team. The biggest star though is Pique there. You know star power is important man.

Wilbur

Banned
I like him now that Kermit's gone.

Kermit at least backed up his argument coherently and was funny. DC just posts inane babble.

It's perplexing to me how he can go from talking about Rooney to everyone proving him wrong and then just jump straight to that.

Small club mentality I suppose.

It hurts doesn't it? Seeing your club get desperate. I know how it feels.

It's hurting my brain reading your shite

Error

Yep Bojan would be in. Don't know if its a world cup winning team, inexperience in Tello/Deulofeu/Montoya. But still, damn good team. The biggest star though is Pique there. You know star power is important man.

I think Cesc is more popular than Pique.

FootballFan

I think Cesc is more popular than Pique.

Nah man, Pique is known by most of GAF now because of the Shakira thread. Shakira has increased his popularity, so have his looks and goofiness. David Beckham is the star of the stars though, lol everyone knows him.

edit
wait you mean in Spain or worldwide?

Wilbur

Banned
Just talking utter sheep cock. Gill didn't push FFP 10 years ago, neither did UEFA, neither did Ron Atkinson, neither did Stanley Matthews, neither did Harry Redknapp's fucking dog.

BANG ON.

This is RAWK-worthy :lol

Error

Nah man, Pique is known by most of GAF now because of the Shakira thread. Shakira has increased his popularity, so have his looks and goofiness. David Beckham is the star of the stars though, lol everyone knows him.

edit
wait you mean in Spain or worldwide?

worldwide, I'm sure Cesc is more known because of his Arsenal exposure. The EPL owns the asian market basically.

and srsly gaf? lol gaf is irrelevant.

jtb

Banned
If Catalonia ever did have it's own national team, I'd imagine Cesc playing in the false nine (just like he did at the Euros) and they'd just pack the midfield with an extra body. Thiago maybe? (is he Catalan?)

I thought Bojan was shit anyways?

BANG ON.

That's a poor argument in my opinion. When United were "the biggest beasts" the weren't in a position like City, who are almost entirely financially dependent on their owners. No club should be in a position where they would go bust if their owners decided to pull out. Maybe you have faith that Sheik Mansour will be around for ever, but the future of a football club should never be based on assumptions.

elseanio

Bedtime for me. Have fun Night time gaf

For anyone interested tomorrow, LFC tv will be free on Sky/Virgin, and online (http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/lfctv-live-stream)

Here is the schedule

The Hillsborough Independent Panel will release its long-awaited report on Wednesday - and LFC TV and Liverpoolfc.com will keep supporters up to date with the very latest developments throughout what will be a significant day for the families of the 96.

Our TV coverage - which will be simulcast free on the official website throughout the day - starts at 10am BST with a look back at how people-power swept Hillsborough back onto the agenda in the House of Commons last October as more than 140,000 signed an online petition in support of the work of the Hillsborough Independent Panel.

At 11am our Hillsborough: 23 Years On, 10 Questions documentary addresses the key issues in the fight for justice.

Then, live at midday, The Hillsborough Independent Panel Report will feature coverage of a ministerial statement from Westminster as well as the panel's press conference from Liverpool Cathedral.

At 3.06pm the channel and club as a whole will observe the two minutes' silence, and from 5pm to 8.30pm we'll be live from St George's Plateau as the people of Liverpool come together to show their support for the bereaved families of Hillsborough.

Hope the families of the 96 finally get some closure.

elsk

Banned
If Catalonia ever did have it's own national team, I'd imagine Cesc playing in the false nine (just like he did at the Euros) and they'd just pack the midfield with an extra body. Thiago maybe? (is he Catalan?)

I thought Bojan was shit anyways?

They actually have one. We (Honduras) played against them in 2010 I think, obviously they aren't recognised by FIFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom