• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

herod

But Hillsborough isn't an ancient stadium or unfit for purpose, even 23 years after the disaster. Its a perfectly safe stadium as we stand now here in 2012, so I'd continue to disagree that the stadium itself was "inherently dangerous". Structurally, the stadium is almost exactly the same, other than the South Stand which was redeveloped for Euro 96. The Leppings Lane end is structurally unchanged.

What was "inherently dangerous" was the barbaric fencing, which thankfully no longer exists in the UK.

Reference has also been made to old turnstiles that couldn't cope with the influx, kept jamming and were the reason the exit gate was opened. I don't want to beat on about this but turnstiles and fences are part of a stadium.

Wilbur

Banned
FFP stops this kind of thing. Tell Gill not to persue PL financial rules and it might come true!

NOOOOOOOOO

Just read Cameron's whole statement, he does a good job of utterly placing the blame at the police's feet. Think he'll win a few votes on Merseyside for that (loathe as I am to say that's why he's done so, I'm sure it's not; just saying). Profoundly sorry is a phrase he uses a fair bit.

Interested to see The Sun's reaction tomorrow.

I saw three or four people walking around in Liverpool/Everton shirts with the Remember the 96 on the back at Thorpe Park today. Seems disgusting what they tried to cover up.

Wilbur

Banned
Mine doesn't even find Becks attractive so there's no hope for her unfortunately.

Dump her now and marry me because we both know he's hot shit

Dat tache and beard combo put Zlatan to shame. The fourth greatest facial hair in football.

NOOOOOOOOO

Just read Cameron's whole statement, he does a good job of utterly placing the blame at the police's feet. Think he'll win a few votes on Merseyside for that (loathe as I am to say that's why he's done so, I'm sure it's not; just saying). Profoundly sorry is a phrase he uses a fair bit.

Not. A. Chance. In. Hell.

Wilbur

Banned
Not. A. Chance. In. Hell.

Eh, I think he's done a good job of distancing today's Conservatives from those in power then; plus the fact that British political parties are all so similar now, I can see a fair few new voters especially voting for him.

Until Boris obliterates all competition

Bumhead

Banned
I don't want to beat on about this but turnstiles and fences are part of a stadium.

Yep. But a part of the stadium that was enforced as part of crowd control measures. Not just there for a laugh.

Aspects of the stadium were a factor but I will continue to dispute the term "inherently dangerous", because it isn't. The stadium was - unfortunately - a factor in events. But not the leading factor or cause, and the biggest factor (the fencing) was a by product of crowd control measures at the time. Like I said, the crowd control measures enforced by Thatchers government were inherently dangerous, not necessarily Hillsborough or any other stadium at the time.

dc89

NOOOOOOOOO

Don't know if you saw my post before but when it was all coming out they were Tweeting about Rihanna instead.

I checked their Twitter about 45 mins ago and still nothing.

WJD

You must be fucking gorgeous!

bueno.jpg

---

On another note, Reus is wonderful on FIFA 13.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
fifa demo sucked imo. is it true no fucking nou camp in the game?

Ill still get it but i liked pro evo i guesss ill have to friend up that weird homer simpson avatar dude.

man im worn out after that conmebol football orgy im ready for barça to destroy getafe.

danwarb

Reference has also been made to old turnstiles that couldn't cope with the influx, kept jamming and were the reason the exit gate was opened. I don't want to beat on about this but turnstiles and fences are part of a stadium.

And the old corroded barrier with holes in it that collapsed, resulting in a big crush.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Hixx

Eh, I think he's done a good job of distancing today's Conservatives from those in power then; plus the fact that British political parties are all so similar now, I can see a fair few new voters especially voting for him.

Until Boris obliterates all competition

What Thatcher did to places like Liverpool, County Durham etc... the conservatives might as well be a no show in these areas. Will never be forgiven.

WJD

Think I may be coming round to FIFA 13.

Same, the first touch system really does make a lot of subtle differences to how moves play out. I don't find myself scoring similar goals over and over any more which is a massive plus.

Also, it seems much harder to score from corners which is another positive.

Wilbur

Banned
What Thatcher did to places like Liverpool, County Durham etc... the conservatives might as well be a no show in these areas. Will never be forgiven.

True, I suppose. Maybe in a few decades.

It just seems so anti progressive because of the past.

Dammit it is cold. Winter is definitely coming.

It's funny to see how the topic changes from After Dark banter to the Hillsborough disaster in a matter of hours. The latest news is absolutely disgraceful though

Same, the first touch system really does make a lot of subtle differences to how moves play out. I don't find myself scoring similar goals over and over any more which is a massive plus.

Also, it seems much harder to score from corners which is another positive.
Still think the defenders are stupidly fast.

Edit: this is not a new gripe. But I hate when a player is making a run, so you switch to him, and he momentarily stops dead and kills the build up.

Bumhead

Banned
Just walked past the SYP headquarters. I work a stones throw away.

Loads of news crews around. Looked like they were interviewing one of the Police chiefs outside.

Some very difficult questions for them to answer.

3Sixty

Makes me laugh when people complain about their stadium not being in the game and generic looking players. Try being a Southampton fan, you're lucky if they get the skin colour right.

Slizz

fuck. I had a vision of endless la liga titles and copa del rey trophies :(

Ronaldo said:
Two games, six points. Mission accomplished. Yesterday we could have scored more goals, but it is also true that Azerbaijan greatly complicated our task. In any case, the final result of both games was very positive and it is now time to return to the club and think only about my club.

I would like to reaffirm, without being concerned about contracts, that my focus is solely on winning every game and every available trophy with the essential company of my teammates and all madridistas.

Posted this a minute ago.

Bumhead

Banned
Makes me laugh when people complain about their stadium not being in the game and generic looking players. Try being a Southampton fan, you're lucky if they get the skin colour right.

Hehe, fucking this.

Its going to be amusing seeing what bizare things they've done for us this year.

Slizz

Always find the FIFA demos meh but love the full game went its out, hope 13 doesn't break the run

Always like this for me, mainly due to fast halves and forced to play CPU. But I def notice improvements already so the full version should be the shit.

Slizz

did the us win? are you happy with klinsmann?

im sweating alcohol we got so smashed yesterday after barely crushing chile.

Yea we won 1-0, didn't catch it though.

Klinsmann has been alright so far, lots of milestone wins but he's been making questionable defensive and mid-field calls lately... I dunno, would help if Boyd or Altidore could be consistent so its not just Dempsey all the time up front.

Yen

Wouldn't say so really. I didn't vote at all and don't plan to because whoever gets in its going to be the same. There's little discernible difference between the political parties today.

Ignoring their general policies, which are at odds with a (generally) very leftist city, there's not a chance the Tories will ever win back Liverpool after everything in the eighties. Can't say modern attitudes to Liverpool are much better. See: Boris Johnson.

Arnie

Ignoring their general policies, which are at odds with a (generally) very leftist city, there's not a chance the Tories will ever win back Liverpool after everything in the eighties. Can't say modern attitudes to Liverpool are much better. See: Boris Johnson.
Boris' comments were fucking atrocious.

Yen

Boris' comments were fucking atrocious.

Boris' newspaper in 2004:
Using British hostage Kenneth Bigley as an example, the editorial claimed the inhabitants of Bigley's home city of Liverpool were wallowing in a "vicarious victimhood"; that many Liverpudlians had a "deeply unattractive psyche"; and that they refused to accept responsibility for "drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground" during the Hillsborough disaster, a contention at odds with the findings of the Taylor Report. The editorial closed with: "In our maturity as a civilisation, we should accept that we can cut out the cancer of ignorant sentimentality without diminishing, as in this case, our utter disgust at a foul and barbaric act of murder."

edit: It's a bad sign when you set out to highlight key points, and then nearly highlight the entire paragraph.

Wilbur

Banned

Guess I was underestimating it a bit, I tend to ignore historical context a little with things like that but its completely understandable.

Clegg

I don't want to open a can of worms here but I find the British Police Service to be abhorrent.

Hillsborough wasn't the first time they've framed innocent people for crimes they didn't commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom