• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

In terms of United being able to put out a full strength team but still deservedly losing - the last Barca-United Champions league final. Including games where United were f***ed over by injuries - off the top of my head, when they lost 1 nil to Man City away.

I fucking knew it lol

In terms of United being able to put out a full strength team but still deservedly losing - the last Barca-United Champions league final. Including games where United were f***ed over by injuries - off the top of my head, when they lost 1 nil to Man City away.

What was your lineup in the 1-6?

GorillaJu

There was much more pressing in the second half by United. You saw that Spurs didn't immediately sat back in the beginning of the second half and tried to attack and did get a goal, but soon after United was pressing harder and soon enough possession was in United's favour forcing them to back off and that's what they did the whole second half.

I don't think United ever really pressed that hard. The Spurs team were flat on their backs from the pressure of the crowd and the immediate kick into gear that United came out in the second half with.

They dropped back and turtled and never tried to get a rhythm going when the opportunity arose again around 65'-70'. They barely left their own half.

Soi-Fong

Clev and Anderson should have started after their mid-week antics.

Either or. Scholes was immense for us today.

I don't think United ever really pressed that hard. The Spurs team were flat on their backs from the pressure of the crowd and the immediate kick into gear that United came out in the second half with.

They dropped back and turtled and never tried to get a rhythm going when the opportunity arose again around 65'-70'. They barely left their own half.

Spurs decided to do a Chelsea after the Kagawa goal as that seems to have shaken them up.

Call me salty but I honestly didn't even think Tottenham were that good.

They earned the win and dug in so props for that.

But considering how bad United were in the first half I can only think of two chances Spurs had and they scored from both. The first goal was just shocking defending. The second one granted is a good counter attack but again United's defenders were nowhere. Maybe the Vertonghen header is the only other chance I can think of.

I thought the first half in general was pretty poor quality.

Second half was a bit crazy. The goals at the start and then 15 minutes of constant pressure from United was good. After that the last 20 minutes were just bad. United did nothing of note and Spurs were just shitting it when really they probably could have been more composed and made some chances.

It's 'Fans' like him that make me hate United.
Don't complain next time people are hating on Barca then.

Don't mean that offensively at all BTW.

Anderson

I'm in London tonight is a Kean out party

United fans feel 3-2 join me

21931d1345989108-what-alternative-gaming-happy-i-see-what-you-did-there.png

GorillaJu

But considering how bad United were in the first half I can only think of two chances Spurs had and they scored from both. The first goal was just shocking defending. The second one granted is a good counter attack but again United's defenders were nowhere. Maybe the Vertonghen header is the only other chance I can think of.

Second half was a bit crazy. The goals at the start and then 15 minutes of constant pressure from United was good. After that the last 20 minutes were just bad. United did nothing of note and Spurs were just shitting it when really they probably could have been more composed and made some chances.

I actually don't think Tottenham were that good either. Their three goals were all because of uncharacteristically lazy defending. Caught sleeping and that's that.

Fergie

Banned
Either or. Scholes was immense for us today.

Spurs decided to do a Chelsea after the Kagawa goal as that seems to have shaken them up.
Indeed, Scholes game always works, midfield maestro, not so much for Giggs. Either way I think it would be better to have Scholes in the last 20-30mins, although today he proved that wrong.

WJD

Once again I agree with you, Viva. Wigan could have come and bossed us in that first half we were so bad. The most commendable thing Spurs did was dig in and hold out for the win IMO.

Messi

Find one post where I complain about people bashing barca. I just don't do it, I don't see the point. I am also gracious in defeat unlike some

ShogunX

You don't think Everton deserved to beat UTD at the start of the season?

Soi-Fong

Indeed, Scholes game always works, midfield maestro, not so much for Giggs. Either way I think it would be better to have Scholes in the last 20-30mins, although today he proved that wrong.

Giggs really has to retire. He has to hang up his boots at the end of this season. Him being in the first team just hurts the team overall.

yella

Congrats Spurs GAF.

I didn't see it coming. Well done.

I said if we didn't put Clev or Ando on we were fucked; it wasn't as bad as I imagined, but Tottenham just strolled though our midfield way too easily. What's the sense of buying young midfielders or sending them out for experience and them not giving them a chance?

Find one post where I complain about people bashing barca. I just don't do it, I don't see the point. I am also gracious in defeat unlike some
I won't trawl through the thread, so if you say it I'll take your word for it.

But generally, if doicare is the type of person you're basing a fanbase on when I think most of the United fans here right now have been pretty fair in their assessment of the game, that'a a shame.

Anyway, didn't meant to be confrontational. You're a good poster and a cool dude.

doicare

My god you are the worst. Disgraceful even.
Thanks.
Your posts and the reactions to them should tell you all you need to know!
Not really, just telling it like it is.
stop supporting a piece of shit team
I'm pretty sure FIFA rules state that you can't have fecal matter playing for a football team, is this some new rule change that's been brought in like the home grown talent rule?
What was your lineup in the 1-6?
On that day United were without:

Vidic
Carrick
Cleverly
Valencia
Rafael

You don't think Everton deserved to beat UTD at the start of the season?
Nope should have been a draw, people seem to forget that United had nearly 70% possession in that game, almost the same amount of shots, as well as a shot cleared off the line.

near

Gold Member
We let United dominate us but I don't mind, it was uncharted territory for us and we couldn't really settle. But my god we scrapped, and that's the difference. We were always going to be up against it.

doicare, you lost to a Spurs side without 4 key players (Kaboul, BAE, Parker, Adebayor).

We didn't let them. We had no choice, we had to be cautious with our pressing game because they were making deadly passes through our players setting off Kagawa and Nani. We got owned, but we defended very very well. We couldn't keep the ball, because they'd press us into another attack so all we could do is boot the ball away. I don't blame the players at all. You cant take nothing from Utd after there second half performance. But I blame Gallas for getting complacent for the two goals we conceeded.

doicare is pissed, but he should be happy with Fergie time. :p

Soi-Fong

No I don't, stop assuming shit.

Fans like him turned me against utd. My brother and best friends are the same as him.

It's the same case for people who hate Barcelona. You have to appreciate their style of play, but shit on their stupid attitude along with the diving and crowding the referee.

That's mainly why I hate Barcelona, but still appreciate their game.

WJD

No I don't, stop assuming shit.

Fans like him turned me against utd. My brother and best friends are the same as him.

Sounds like you need new family/friends if they're all cut from a similar cloth to doicare. That's if you actually believe doicare isn't some master troll.

I actually don't think Tottenham were that good either. Their three goals were all because of uncharacteristically lazy defending. Caught sleeping and that's that.
Worrying this is that it's not even uncharacteristic anymore. Sure today was maybe worse than usual but generally we are getting very complacent in midfield and at the back. The fact that Rio nor Evans like to get out and attack the ball doesn't help either.

Fergie

Banned
Giggs really has to retire. He has to hang up his boots at the end of this season. Him being in the first team just hurts the team overall.
He's been an amazing player but it looks like is body can't handle it anymore, the physical aspect to his game.

Soi-Fong

We didn't let them. We had no choice, we had to be cautious with our pressing game because they were making deadly passes through our players setting off Kagawa and Nani. We got owned, but we defended very very well. We couldn't keep the ball, because they'd press us into another attack so all we could do is boot the ball away. I don't blame the players at all. You cant take nothing from Utd after there second half performance. But I blame Gallas for getting complacent for the two goals we conceeded.

doicare is pissed, but he should be happy with Fergie time. :p

You can't take anything from Kagawa for his goal. Still a very hard goal to finish and he practically made himself invisible in the middle.

K1LLER7

Spurs were great on the counter. The team was full of pace which United couldn't deal with until they started to press higher. It's something United have missed since Ronaldo left.

jtb

Banned
Spurs were great in first half, I have no idea why they dropped off so much in the second half (especially towards the end; Dawson on for Defoe? That should have been their chance to bypass one of the slowest midfields in the league and crush United's hopes), but it seemed that AVB got the tactics right-ish and SAF got them horribly wrong. The only reason Scholes seemed decent in the second half was because Spurs gave him all the time and space in the world to pick out passes; the United midfield remains pretty poor.

Either way, made a bad day slightly better from a results perspective. Doubt Spurs will challenge for the title, so any dent in United's hopes means today's loss against Chelsea hasn't completely fucked us over (even if it really emphasizes how much we should have picked up the three points at the Etihad last weekend fuuu).

What did everybody make of the penalty calls btw. Somebody said there were 3 incidents but I can only think of 2.

Vertonghen on Nani which I think was a definite penalty.

Sandro handball which I guess you can give but I didn't really think it was a pen.

LegoArmo

What did everybody make of the penalty calls btw. Somebody said there were 3 incidents but I can only think of 2.

Sandro handball which I guess you can give but I didn't really think it was a pen.
Vertonghen on Nani, pen. Walker on Kagawa, pen. Sandro handball, nah.

K1LLER7

Walker on Kagawa, not sure if it was though.

We didn't have any luck today, on another day Rooney's FK could've gone in off the post. Spurs played well and Fergie has to realise the main flaws of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom