• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

Would like Barca to drop some points to let Madrid back into the title race. It's like they're teasing and then BAM!! Barca comeback. Hope another team will give it a go this season. Malaga looking good last time I checked. Isco scored again too.

FootballFan

I read them, didn't feel any anger over it. They are welcome to say what they want. I agree on the handball and the red. But I don't see how the ref not giving the handball is barcas fault. We all know La Liga refs are dog shit.

For the record this is me not getting pissed off over people shit talking Barca.

Edit: Masch is fine as cover, Song on the other hand...

I just get tired of it, it just is such a boring topic. Might aswell start discussing Messi vs Ronaldo, Is Suarez a racist and Anti-defensive football discussions. It's gotten that boring to me.

I agree about Masch, he usually does his job really well, but with Puyol injured all the time, this means we only have Pique and MonsterMasch as the starting CBs, leaving no-one else to replace either of them if they too get injured.

Would like Barca to drop some points to let Madrid back into the title race. It's like they're teasing and then BAM!! Barca comeback. Hope another team will give it a go this season. Malaga looking good last time I checked. Isco scored again too.

I am quite sure Malaga will make it through their group in the CL, with Milan and Zenit struggling especially. Malaga play great football and Isco is awesome to watch.

Good to see that they are coping well with the loss of Cazorla. Second in La Liga atm.

Messi

Song is shit. Thanks for the 15m.

There is something nasty that could be said for money and a different player but I wont make that comment :p

As for song, ill give him more time. I felt like Masch didn't fit in at barca when he arrived and now I quite like him (when Pique is around as the anchor)

Clegg

right now I'm watching HOUSTON DYNAMO VS. THE MOTHERFUCKIN NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION

Won't be a great game, but in 10 minutes Vancouver vs. Seattle is going to start, and that should be a decent matchup with playoff implications, I think

and Clegg I'll give it a shot if I can find it streaming somewhere

The name of the episode you're looking for is "The Eleventh Hour"

Hope that helps.

Lightning

Banned
Coq in the middle (deputized well against Southampton), Ramsey on the right is what I'd like to see. Along with Giroud up front, but I can't get greedy now...
Giroud has definitely got to start up front. Even when he's not scoring himself he is helping the team.

Too much expected of Giroud to come in today, we're losing and not playing well, and just firing. It's just not that easy. I really feel for Giroud because he is not playing badly but the media look at the scoresheet and ignore all else. It's annoying.

And Gervinho upfront sucks.

Messi

I never like this game, nor the Ath Madrid game or Valencia/Espanyol. So you could keep an eye out there for your barca slipping needs. Or you know... next weekend.

Anyone know if Pique and/or Puyol will be back for next weekend. If not there will be barca blood everywhere.

FootballFan

Keep an eye on Liverpool's Luis Suarez. He's our star player, renowned for his impeccable sportsmanship and ruthless efficiency. He'll soon be your favourite player

Suarez.jpg

Add in his good looks, and you can see why he's the biggest superstar in the Premier League.

But is he a bigger star than Rooney or Aguero?

jtb

Banned
There is something nasty that could be said for money and a different player but I wont make that comment :p

As for song, ill give him more time. I felt like Masch didn't fit in at barca when he arrived and now I quite like him (when Pique is around as the anchor)

Is this referring to Fabregas? :(

Having said that, Mascherano was double the player Song was in the PL playing for Liverpool. I'm really not a fan of Song.

Giroud has definitely got to start up front. Even when he's not scoring himself he is helping the team.

Too much expected of Giroud to come in today, we're losing and not playing well, and just firing. It's just not that easy. I really feel for Giroud because he is not playing badly but the media look at the scoresheet and ignore all else. It's annoying.

And Gervinho upfront sucks.

Agreed. The media just need an easy scapegoat; Giroud makes this side work (especially considering how often we resorted to crossing the ball when we had no one— not even super short Gervinho—in the box) much more effectively.

Without him, Cazorla and co. don't have the space to create quality chances. He dragged the defenders out of position for the two Liverpool goals and for the Manchester City equaliser (well the Cazorla shot), and was unlucky not to score from the first shot that Cech saved. A bit more confidence and he wouldn't have even bothered rounding Cech for the second and just scored first time. He'll get there, but Wenger needs to play him. should be playing Gervinho in the CL group stage (since the opposition is lower quality and certainly more margin for error) and Giroud in the PL, not the other way around.

edit: and in 15-20 minutes, Giroud had more chances at goal than Gervinho had all game long. Just because you score two against Southampton does not make you a striker.

Clegg

Drag Me to Hell was pretty good.

It was written and directed by Sam Raimi, the man who created the Evil Dead films.

<3 <3 Evil Dead.

Drag Me to Hell was pretty good.

It was written and directed by Sam Raimi, the man who created the Evil Dead films.

<3 <3 Evil Dead.

I also love the Evil Dead, but watch as I destroy Sam Raimi to someone who doesn't know his work:

"From the director of Spider-Man 3..."

Edit: Cabin in the Woods was awesome!

Mumei

Keep an eye on Liverpool's Luis Suarez. He's our star player, renowned for his impeccable sportsmanship and ruthless efficiency. He'll soon be your favourite player

Suarez.jpg

Add in his good looks, and you can see why he's the biggest superstar in the Premier League.

Of course, if you happen to catch Suso play, you'll be leaving your home, your friends, your family and your significant other in order to stalk him, the beatiful little son of a deity

Gross.

K1LLER7

I don't recall either of them ever scoring hatricks from outside the box, so yes

Did Man Utd's left side create anything today?
Everything went down the right because Vertongen left acres of space for Nani, yet he continued to demonstrate his downing-esque crossing abilities and failed to put in a note worthy cross.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Giroud? lol

song had a bad day but he has been amaziing in fifa for me

Everything went down the right because Vertongen left acres of space for Nani, yet he continued to demonstrate his downing-esque crossing abilities and failed to put in a note worthy cross.

Vertongen played exactly like David Luiz today :p

@Killer7, he's Dracula, not Tyson

Messi

Is this referring to Fabregas? :(

Having said that, Mascherano was double the player Song was in the PL playing for Liverpool. I'm really not a fan of Song.

It was, and I am sorry for implying it. What a shitty thing to say. I really wish Barca would have paid Arsenals valuation (we would still be getting a deal) and we would not have all this bitterness surrounding the deal.

K1LLER7

Vertongen played exactly like David Luiz today :p

@Killer7, he's Dracula, not Tyson
Both looked good going forward, shite going backwards? Both ended up on the winning teams :(

-------------------------

Didn't stop him before, plus playing for Liverpool would do that to you :p

Btw, Suarez is class (when he's not diving/arguing or inside the box)
Just a matter of time until a CL club come calling and he leaves :p

Lightning

Banned
Agreed. The media just need an easy scapegoat; Giroud makes this side work (especially considering how often we resorted to crossing the ball when we had no one— not even super short Gervinho—in the box) much more effectively.

Without him, Cazorla and co. don't have the space to create quality chances. He dragged the defenders out of position for the two Liverpool goals and for the Manchester City equaliser (well the Cazorla shot), and was unlucky not to score from the first shot that Cech saved. A bit more confidence and he wouldn't have even bothered rounding Cech for the second and just scored first time. He'll get there, but Wenger needs to play him. should be playing Gervinho in the CL group stage (since the opposition is lower quality and certainly more margin for error) and Giroud in the PL, not the other way around.

edit: and in 15-20 minutes, Giroud had more chances at goal than Gervinho had all game long. Just because you score two against Southampton does not make you a striker.
Wenger's selections are starting to annoy me though to be honest. Why the fuck are we rotating our centre backs? Vermaelen and Mertersacker should be first chouce for all big games. Per has an excellent footballing brain and had he been playing I doubt we would have conceeded those stupid goals today. I just don't understand why one would rotate CB's against top opposition.

The other thing is Ramsey is not more effective on the wing than Chamberlain. What Ramsey needs to do is stick close to Arteta so he can learn how to pass and think properly because he is currently is either hot or freezing cold. Against Chelsea he was freezing.

Jenkinson's come on leaps and bounds. Sagna's not getting back in. Jenkinson was Arsenal's best player I thought today again.

I worried about the West Ham game now. Desperate for a win.

Both looked good going forward, shite going backwards? Both ended up on the winning teams :(

-------------------------

Didn't stop him before, plus playing for Liverpool would do that to you :p

Btw, Suarez is class (when he's not diving/arguing or inside the box)
Just a matter of time until a CL club come calling and he leaves :p

I think Suarez might be moving on from titting about like that. Last season it seemed like he couldn't go 2 games without risking the ire of the officials or doing something that could be construed as an act of JTism. So far this season he's kept it down to a few overexaggerated falls and a couple of moans at the referee. Not perfect by any means, but hopefully a step in the right direction

K1LLER7

I think Suarez might be moving on from titting about like that. Last season it seemed like he couldn't go 2 games without risking the ire of the officials or doing something that could be construed as an act of JTism. So far this season he's kept it down to a few overexaggerated falls and a couple of moans at the referee. Not perfect by any means, but hopefully a step in the right direction
He should've had a penalty today, didn't watch the match but from the MOTD highlights it didn't look like he had strop or started complaining to the ref.

When he plays like he did today, he's one of the best. Quick feet, always looks to beat his man. One flaw you could say is his finishing. But then again he scores brilliant goals like his 2nd from todays game.

jtb

Banned
It was, and I am sorry for implying it. What a shitty thing to say. I really wish Barca would have paid Arsenals valuation (we would still be getting a deal) and we would not have all this bitterness surrounding the deal.

It's all good. What's done is done, sadly. Let's just add 15m for Song to the long list of surely failed transfers from Arsenal to Barcelona (lulz Hleb) and call it even.

Wenger's selections are starting to annoy me though to be honest. Why the fuck are we rotating our centre backs? Vermaelen and Mertersacker should be first chouce for all big games. Per has an excellent footballing brain and had he been playing I doubt we would have conceeded those stupid goals today. I just don't understand why one would rotate CB's against top opposition.

The other thing is Ramsey is not more effective on the wing than Chamberlain. What Ramsey needs to do is stick close to Arteta so he can learn how to pass and think properly because he is currently is either hot or freezing cold. Against Chelsea he was freezing.

Jenkinson's come on leaps and bounds. Sagna's not getting back in. Jenkinson was Arsenal's best player I thought today again.

I worried about the West Ham game now. Desperate for a win.

I'd go for Kos (despite his shocker today) over Verm, but yeah, Mertesacker has to be first choice. Ramsey is more defensive on the wing than Chamberlain and made some really effective driving runs against City, so I'd rotate the two of them depending on opposition and fitness (which means Theo's time at Arsenal is surely coming to an end), but he's far too wasteful to be running the show in the middle. Yet. And I'm really beginning to be pissed at Wenger for this Gervinho bullshit: it just proves what we all knew all along&#8212;you stick anybody in front of Cazorla and other creative players and they will score. Stop with the cheeky bullshit and play Giroud, Arsene.

Jenkinson has been immense. It's nice having depth in a position I definitely thought we were weak and, like you say, Sagna is the next to leave. Wenger won't have been happy about his comments in the press.

It's really disappointing how quickly a positive momentum can turn negative. Instead of triumphantly taking a point away at the champions, now it's just a point out of 6 (when we really could and should have gotten all 6; 4 at the very minimum). Even Wenger admitted that these two matches were the first big test of the season and that, thankfully, he acknowledged we failed miserably. West Ham will be difficult thanks to Big Sam; Giroud would, it seems, be a great fit for that match. But we'll see whether Wenger agrees... We certainly need to start picking up points though.

sohois

First Liverpool win of PL season and I miss it, stupid Hilton. £80 per night for shitty, time-limited wi-fi, the hotel is nice otherwise but it's a shocking misstep. I caught the highlights, but it's just not the same, when there are so many goals there's no real time to show any other build-up play. You could tell Suarez played well but other than that couldn't see anything of the other players, particularly disappointing when there are 2 lads making their full PL debuts.

I tried going back through the thread to see what people thought about the game & the others during the weekend, but damn this thread has gotten huge, there must have been 60 pages worth of chat during the games, not to mention a whole shitstorm of Barca rubbish. Oh well. Funny how United & Arsenal fans seemed very confident going into the weekend games, citing the poor prior records, only to see both of them overturned (though I did see Utd fans bemoaning the team selection and adjusting their predictions accordingly prior to the match). Also curious to see a hoped-for formation from one poster which had a 4-3-3 with Rooney and Kagawa on the wings, after all the posts in transfer window desperately hoping Kagawa would played in the middle.

Salazar

Oh well. Funny how United & Arsenal fans seemed very confident going into the weekend games, citing the poor prior records, only to see both of them overturned (though I did see Utd fans bemoaning the team selection and adjusting their predictions accordingly prior to the match).

Like a man noticing his car has no fucking wheels, you might say.

Messi

Guys stop me buying a print of this, please. I loved this moment so very very much as a mild arsenal fan/big henry fan. It was magical.

il_570xN.378677275_kjdj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom