• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
247958_465297510160071_623418474_n.jpg

anecdotally in Australia i've noticed that there is more PES boxes removed than FIFA (neither sold out)

so hmm

GorillaJu

If WBA win today, which I'm sorry to say Villa-GAF is probably a likely result based on form, they go above United and City into 2nd/3rd!

Been a great start for them. I thought Steve Clarke would struggle there. Early days yet but off to a really good start, gotta hand it to him.

My relegation candidates for this year were Southampton, Swansea and West Brom.

Whoops. :lol

Man we've already lost 2 games this last season. Last year we lost 5. Yet to play any of the top sides either. Awful.

omg I'm so offended by this.

Salazar

Makes no sense either. There isn't enough punishment for incompetent officiating as it is, let alone if the media stop talking about it.

One problem is that daft embittered fucks aren't clever enough to recognise mistakes as mistakes.

And they look for, or pretend to look for, other reasons.

omg I'm so offended by this.
It's not a troll attempt I'm being serious.

I'm expecting to be fighting for the title with City and Chelsea and we haven't played either of them yet, and Arsenal will probably be in the top 4 too.

Everton, Liverpool and Spurs are all good teams but not the top ones.

FootballFan

Yes,I´m tired to see this shit week after week,is always the same story,the refs are completely biased in favor of the Barcelona. How low has fallen La liga,has no interest for me anymore.

Must suck to see Barca losing 4 times this season only to come back and win all 4 times in the last 10 minutes.

Hahaha.

Messi isn't THAAAT small. Have you seen Juninho? Oh man. Tiny.

Yeah Sanchez is even smaller. Then of course there is the usual guys who are literally nearly 4 inches shorter(Giovinco, Insigne, Piatti etc)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Aquilani is still out injured. Man, Liverpool dodged a bullet there.

Or rather, they plucked it out.

FootballFan

:lol found Ray Hudson commentary from the Sevilla game.

When Negredo scores the second goal:
"Giving this man that much space is like giving Dracula a blood transfusion" - lol

D_prOdigy

The way a handful of teams are playing, it's going be quite upsetting for the couple who just miss out on top-4 if the trend continues. If you want to be unadventurous, you'd probably say it might be Spurs and Everton, but I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them overthrows one of Arsenal/Chelsea/United.

Early days though.

If we keep being this shit and throw away any realistic chance of fighting for the title, then maybe it would a necessary lesson for Ferguson if more deserving teams threw us out of the top 4.

I certainly don't see us signing the ready-made midfielder we desperately need in January.

Clegg

TBH I don't consider Liverpool or Spurs to be "top sides". That moniker is still with Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

We obviously got flattened in the first half but Spurs were very poor in the second half too.

Perhaps I'll have to reconsider my views on what constitutes a "top side", but it is what it is.

Arnie

One problem is that daft embittered fucks aren't clever enough to recognise mistakes as mistakes.

And they look for, or pretend to look for, other reasons.
How frequently do mistakes have to happen to qualify as something more, though? I don't mean in terms of wild conspiracy theories, I mean in terms of officials being incompetent, and not having enough help to employ the laws of the game properly.

And there's more than a strong argument to suggest that a player like Suarez isn't getting decisions because of his reputation, which goes against your argument of mistakes as, simply, mistakes.

When you can see Valencia get the penalty that he did at Anfield, and the following week see Suarez not get a decision from Barnett's 'challenge', I don't really think you can tow such a line.

For what it's worth I think the problem with refereeing extends far beyond Suarez, and Liverpool, and is damaging the game as a whole, throughout the world. We live in a society that embellishes 10 year old children with iPads, but we can't stick one in an official's hand to help his colleagues out.

If an official had an iPad, yesterday Liverpool would've had a penalty, United would've had a penalty for Vertonghen's blatant shirt tug in the box, and Fulham wouldn't have had their absurd penalty.

It's a multi million pound industry and the people serving out the laws of the game are at a disadvantage compared with anyone watching at home. That's a problem, in 2012.
Aquilani is still out injured. Man, Liverpool dodged a bullet there.

Or rather, they plucked it out.
And, for the time being at least, we've got Sahin who's playing class, getting assists, and scoring goals.

FootballFan

TBH I don't consider Liverpool or Spurs to be "top sides". That moniker is still with Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

We obviously got flattened in the first half but Spurs were very poor in the second half too.

Perhaps I'll have to reconsider my views on what constitutes a "top side", but it is what it is.

I think Man United are still the best with Man City, it's just dat midfield of Scholes and Giggs that I don't like. Club legends, good players etc. But they should by now at least, be starting on the bench at best.

Arnie

I think Man United are still the best with Man City, it's just dat midfield of Scholes and Giggs that I don't like. Club legends, good players etc. But they should by now at least, be starting on the bench at best.

Scholes was excellent yesterday, though. I understand the frustration with Giggs, but Scholes still genuinely possesses the ability to dictate the tempo of the game, and create chances. I honestly think United should go for a three man midfield of Scholes, Cleverley and Carrick. That's enough quality to dominate any game, and any midfield, which invalidates the myth that United don't have a midfield.

Scholes needs help, but if you give it him, and allow him the ball he'll punish you.

Clegg

Scholes is still good enough to start games imo. A few weeks ago I thought he should only play off the bench but yesterday he was wonderful in the second half. He can start matches but needs mobile, quick midfield partners that can do the running for him.

FootballFan

Scholes is still good enough to start games imo. A few weeks ago I thought he should only play off the bench but yesterday he was wonderful in the second half. He can start matches but needs mobile, quick midfield partners that can do the running for him.

Yeah he needs 2 Milners. :p Every team needs at least one, or so I've heard(sorry dc59 I had to lol)

Scholes is a legend and everything but I dunno. It's true he was good in the second half and has been in some other games but good teams will get close to him. He can't get away from them without the energy he used to have.

He is suitable for games when we are on top or against easier opposition and now and then will even turn in a great show against one of the better sides.

Over the course of a season...not good enough anymore.

Agree we should go to 3 in the middle but yeah Fergie and his god damn 442.

GorillaJu

I was joking about being offended, I don't think Liverpool is a top side. We'll finish in the top 8, and on our day we play like a top side, but still a lot needs to be ironed out and we need some more talent in the side to be a top team.

City aren't playing like a top team at the moment either to be honest. Last year I would have given City the advantage (before 6-1) against United but this year, while I do think City have a better team on paper, their defense is shaping up poorly and United have the attackers to exploit that.

Scum

Scholes and Giggs, eh? Legends? Most definitely. But they shouldn't have started.
How about a 4-3-1-2?

GK de Gea

DL Buttner
DC Ferdinand
DC Vidic
DR Rafael

MC Carrick
MC Cleverly
MC Anderson

AMC Kagawa

FC Rooney
ST van Persie

Nani to PSG for £30m.

K1LLER7

Scholes was excellent yesterday, though. I understand the frustration with Giggs, but Scholes still genuinely possesses the ability to dictate the tempo of the game, and create chances. I honestly think United should go for a three man midfield of Scholes, Cleverley and Carrick. That's enough quality to dominate any game, and any midfield, which invalidates the myth that United don't have a midfield.

Scholes needs help, but if you give it him, and allow him the ball he'll punish you.
Traffordism right here :)

Fergie will stick to his 2 man midfields :(

Clegg

United have the attackers to beat every team in the league imo.

But such are the deficiencies in other areas that you know they'll struggle this season.

D_prOdigy

Scholes and Giggs, eh? Legends? Most definitely. But they shouldn't have started.
How about a 4-3-1-2?

GK de Gea

DL Buttner
DC Ferdinand
DC Vidic
DR Rafael

MC Carrick
MC Cleverly
MC Anderson

AMC Kagawa

FC Rooney
ST van Persie

Nani to PSG for £30m.

That's basically the shape we had against Newcastle in the League Cup game and it was one of the only times we've looked good this season. I said we should have done that before yesterday's game, but we still have a winger-fetish.

FootballFan

Scholes is a legend and everything but I dunno. It's true he was good in the second half and has been in some other games but good teams will get close to him. He can't get away from them without the energy he used to have.

He is suitable for games when we are on top or against easier opposition and now and then will even turn in a great show against one of the better sides.

Over the course of a season...not good enough anymore.

Agree we should go to 3 in the middle but yeah Fergie and his god damn 442.

Yeah this is what I meant when I was talking about Giggs/Scholes.

How about a 4-3-1-2?

GK de Gea

DL Buttner
DC Ferdinand
DC Vidic
DR Rafael

MC Carrick
MC Cleverly
MC Anderson

AMC Kagawa

FC Rooney
ST van Persie