• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah well. Hope we see Campbell make an appearance, I've heard good things about him.

I doubt he'll play tonight. I can see him being used in the Europa though, in our two games we haven't really been in a comfortable enough position to give him a run out.

JesusTom

I doubt he'll play tonight. I can see him being used in the Europa though, in our two games we haven't really been in a comfortable enough position to give him a run out.

Makes sense, wait till we're 3 or 4 nil up and give him 25-30 mins to impress. Would love to see Obertan tear up tonight but I think I may be living in a dream world.

header.jpg

Amazing character

Makes sense, wait till we're 3 or 4 nil up and give him 25-30 mins to impress. Would love to see Obertan tear up tonight but I think I may be living in a dream world.

I can confirm you're in a dream world. Quick! Go have sex with Scarlett Johansson. The fate of the world depends on it.

JesusTom

I can confirm you're in a dream world. Quick! Go have sex with Scarlett Johansson. The fate of the world depends on it.

That is definitely the kind of dream world i'm talking about, with Obertan scoring his 30th goal of the season in the champions league final.

I think I need a lie down.

Oxx

Anyway, as someone who follows American and English sport, and has very little attachment to my home town football club, I give a whole-hearted meh to the idea of sporting franchising.

Same.

My house mate's playing Taylor Swift's new song and I can't stop singing it. Come at me music buffs. She's so hot.

I've got a builder in the house doing some work, he just blasted that song. It's utterly fucking ridiculous in a good way.

Arnie

I find her extremely cute, completely inoffensive, and loveable.

We were playing FM last night and we had a music channel on the telly in the background; when her song came on I just stopped all FMing and stared at her for the duration of the song. So pretty. Far better looking than that French lass Salazar's posting.
Anyway, as someone who follows American and English sport, and has very little attachment to my home town football club, I give a whole-hearted meh to the idea of sporting franchising.
I've got no idea what it is.

Is Peace Walker worth co-opping all the way through?

I've got no idea what it is.

I think its completely uprooting a team, a staff and the clubs achievements, and relocating them to another city/state entirely. And hoping that the local fans carry on supporting you

Meier

There's too many Oasis jokes here to actually pick one.

That sounds so dumb.

It has happened countless times over the years. Usually the fans of the organization will completely drop the team out of hatred for the decision (understandable). Some of the biggest names in American sports though moved at some point or another.

A few big ones nowadays off the top of my head: the LA Dodgers were the Brooklyn Dodgers, the San Francisco Giants were the New York Giants (both of these teams were rivals in NY and remained it in California), the LA Lakers were the Minnesota Lakers, the Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns (they made a new Cleveland Browns a few years later since the fans were so passionate about having a local team), the Utah Jazz were the New Orleans Jazz.

Sometimes they'll completely re-brand the team and other times they won't. It's more common now to do that then it was in the past (the Tennessee Titans were the Houston Oilers, the Oklahoma City Thunder were the Seattle Supersonics, etc.).

Arnie

It has happened countless times over the years. Usually the fans of the organization will completely drop the team out of hatred for the decision (understandable). Some of the biggest names in American sports though moved at some point or another.

A few big ones nowadays off the top of my head: the LA Dodgers were the Brooklyn Dodgers, the San Francisco Giants were the New York Giants (both of these teams were rivals in NY and remained it in California), the LA Lakers were the Minnesota Lakers, the Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns (they made a new Cleveland Browns a few years later since the fans were so passionate about having a local team), the Utah Jazz were the New Orleans Jazz.

Sometimes they'll completely re-brand the team and other times they won't. It's more common now to do that then it was in the past (the Tennessee Titans were the Houston Oilers, the Oklahoma City Thunder were the Seattle Supersonics, etc.).

I've been a huge proponent of the college system and the draft, but the negatives of the franchise system don't weigh out the bonuses. Sure, your team might be competitive in a few years, but they might not even exist a few years after that.

That's not sport.

Oxx

It seems kinda fitting for the expansionism and conquering new frontiers in America.

English sport is already stagnant.

Slizz

I've been a huge proponent of the college system and the draft, but the negatives of the franchise system don't weigh out the bonuses. Sure, your team might be competitive in a few years, but they might not even exist a few years after that.

That's not sport.

A franchise won't disappear in a 'few years'. It usually takes time for one of the main franchises here to fold.

I live in a bigger market so I've never suffered losing a team. All the teams I cheered for a kid are still here, though some are way more competitive than the others.

I'm close to pulling a Jeff though and abandoning the Miami Dolphins altogether....

Nyx

Finally, working day is over!

Now off to home, dinner, then off to the stadium for FC Utrecht - Ajax.

Have fun everyone who is doing to same for their club!

Meier

That's not sport.

I do like how the American system allows a team to potentially become very successful in short order if they have good and passionate fans. The draft can be a relative crap shoot, but the OKC Thunder made some great picks and went from a bottomdweller in Seattle to a perennial title contender.

The problem with the system here is that the window of opportunity is fairly limited for "small market" teams because nowadays, the superstars all want to move to New York, LA, Boston or Miami, etc. to help their media exposure and endorsement deals. :( Even though Orlando is a pretty big, world renowned city, it wasn't big enough to keep Dwight Howard happy.

Slizz

Can't they just move to a new town though?

Not that easy. The new city has to have a sufficient stadium or arena which small towns/cities will never have or they'll have to build which takes a lot of time, a lot of local government involvement and red tape.

I do like how the American system allows a team to potentially become very successful in short order if they have good and passionate fans. The draft can be a relative crap shoot, but the OKC Thunder made some great picks and went from a bottomdweller in Seattle to a perennial title contender.

The problem with the system here is that the window of opportunity is fairly limited for "small market" teams because nowadays, the superstars all want to move to New York, LA, Boston or Miami, etc. to help their media exposure and endorsement deals. :( Even though Orlando is a pretty big, world renowned city, it wasn't big enough to keep Dwight Howard happy.

Dwight Howard is infinitely worse in the way he treated his situation than Lebron. Fact.

Multiple years of bullshit, ego and he wouldn't go to Chicago and play with D Rose because they both have Adidas contracts and he wouldn't get the max endorsement deal since Rose had already been there.

OMG MASS EFFECT ON PS3!!!!!!

HNGGGGGGGGG

I fucking love that game. Will replay!

I'm so happy. I bought ME2 but never played it because I had a PC that was capable of playing ME1, but the PC died when I was like 3 hours in and the franchise fell off the radar for me. Will buy, will see what all the fuss is about

Also, Im'ma buy Tokyo Jungle

Meier

Can't they just move to a new town though?

There's a lot to it behind the scenes but ultimately the owner of the franchise has to get a deal in place with another city to help build them a field/arena/ballpark and that usually takes at least 1-2 years to complete construction. It's a pretty rare occurrence because there's a lot of red tape. If or when it happens, it's mostly due to relative apathy and poor attendance in the existing location.

You do sometimes see a very passionate group of fans get screwed by an owner who just wants to make a shitload of money with no regard for the fans (the case of the Browns becoming the Ravens), but the league has to approve the sale and they take this into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom