• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I wanna see :

United vs Madrid
Bayern vs Barca
Juve vs Barca
Arsenal vs Juve

Yup. It's always nice to see the minnows go far in the competition, but I want to see some really epic CL ties between top European sides especially since we really didn't get any of those before the semis last season.
As long as City go out at the group stage.

CrunchyB

You dont need arms to play soccer anyway lol.

Puyol does ;)

Arjen+Robben+Carles+Puyol+Netherlands+v+Spain+urSWT6m7vb7l.jpg

LegoArmo

How do you watch SPL games? Sky and ESPN show two a week at most I think

I'm not living up there now, but they don't. That's why a lot of Scottish people will support an English team too.

Sky and ESPN show Celtic away games which is good and there's the internet, but it must be pretty grim if you don't support one of the Old Firm.

There's a highlight show on BBC Scotland.

jtb

Banned
lol I meant chelsea are usually big and strong. They dont know who they are any more and if its battle of midgets we're the best

I'd be surprised if Barcelona won the CL this year. They'll go far, but I think any of the English sides could (not necessarily will... but could) beat them in a two-legged knockout tie. Even Arsenal.

Soi-Fong

I'd be surprised if Barcelona won the CL this year. They'll go far, but I think any of the English sides could (not necessarily will... but could) beat them in a two-legged knockout tie. Even Arsenal.

No chance. Fabregas and Song will go god-mode against Arsenal. ;)

near

Gold Member

Why do you think that? Barca are still the same Barca as last season, they have not decline in any way really.

FootballFan

aimarmessnao4y.jpg

Even Messi knows who's boss. Fucking Jorge Jesus.

"When I was 13 or 14 I loved to watch Aimar. He's brilliant, I enjoy watching him." Messi.

"He [Messi] is the best player in the world, probably in history, and to hear him praise my game is wonderful. False modesty is worse than arrogance. I've been compared to some huge names. It's not something I aspired to or expected, but it's very reassuring." Aimar

;)

Glenn Hoddle: David Luiz is a far better right back that Ivanovic.

Another pundit to add to the pile of 'opinions based on ideals and likelihoods, rather than fact and evidence.'

Cuddler

Has to be an attitude-during-training problem. Kinda like how it was with Elia I think.
I hope this is not the case. I want to see him play at least one match with us before saying that he's terrible.
Brkic, Padelli, Pawlowski; Armero, Benatia, Berra, Coda, Danilo, Domizzi, Heurtaux, Pasquale; Badu, Faraoni, Lazzari, Pereyra, Pinzi, Willians; Fabbrini, Di Natale, Ranegie

Italy-GAF, how strong is the Udinese squad? I hope they don't take the Europa seriously.
Not as strong as the other years, but still kinda good. They haven't had a really good start in the Serie A.
Have Shakhtar still got the Brazilian who plays like a better Kaka, and looks like a Jonas Brother?
Ilsinho?

AndresON777

shooting blanks

GIROUD. and santi cazorla chokes in big games son. I hope some how you guys win epl tho :)

Clegg

Anderson is playing well and long may it continue. Hopefully he won't get injured and miss another five months like he did last season.

Fergie has shown a lot of faith in him and I think this is part of the reason why he hasn't signed a midfielder in years.

jtb

Banned
Why do you think that? Barca are still the same Barca as last season, they have not decline in any way really.

last season they barely had any competition because United and City were busy knocking themselves out, Milan was abysmal outside of Ibra (even after humiliating us at the San Siro), and they didn't face Madrid or Bayern in the CL so it's hard to gauge just how good they were. against sides with a physical (or even half-decent) midfield, they'll struggle. Barca's defense is pretty vulnerable; Masch/Busquets/Song are not defenders and never will be. We'll see if they can win it again, but I doubt it. And Messi, ridiculously good player that he is, is not a striker.

Plus, no Pep.

edit: you can rarely win by parking the bus against Barcelona unless you've got top defenders and a lot of luck, but you can get a result by coming out to play with an intelligent gameplan and a quality midfield. see: Portugal-Spain at the Euros, Arsenal-Barcelona two years ago.

Soi-Fong

Anderson is playing well and long may it continue. Hopefully he won't get injured and miss another five months like he did last season.

Fergie has shown a lot of faith in him and I think this is part of the reason why he hasn't signed a midfielder in years.

I'm still wondering though if Fergie will sign anybody during the transfer window.

LegoArmo

What did you think of Fletcher? Ferguson said he's going to be a big player for us, I think.

FootballFan

Our defense this season has been dreadful. We have had to come back from losing position 4 times already this season in the last 10 minutes. Puyol is literally getting injured with-in weeks of coming back, kinda like Vidic. And Pique is too busy with Shakira. Just imagine Masch-Song CB's vs Hazard, Ronaldo, RVP etc.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
last season they barely had any competition because United and City were busy knocking themselves out, Milan was abysmal outside of Ibra (even after humiliating us at the San Siro), and they didn't face Madrid or Bayern in the CL so it's hard to gauge just how good they were. against sides with a physical (or even half-decent) midfield, they'll struggle. Barca's defense is pretty vulnerable; Masch/Busquets/Song are not defenders and never will be. We'll see if they can win it again, but I doubt it. And Messi, ridiculously good player that he is, is not a striker.

Plus, no Pep.

David Villa. pep is a fraud.

not sure if serious.

And cesc!

Soi-Fong

Our defense this season has been dreadful. We have had to come back from losing position 4 times already this season in the last 10 minutes. Puyol is literally getting injured with-in weeks of coming back, kinda like Vidic. And Pique is too busy with Shakira. Just imagine Masch-Song CB's vs Hazard, Ronaldo, RVP etc.

Our defense has also been shit. Only problem is so has our midfield and well, forward line hasn't gelled either. Consider yourselves lucky that it's only your defense that's the problem.

Clegg

What did you think of Fletcher? Ferguson said he's going to be a big player for us, I think.

Closed down the opposition and passed well enough.

He was a bit sloppy in possession at times and was caught out. But thats to be expected as he hasn't played in ten months. He brought a lot of energy and movement alongside Cleverley and Anderson.

He'll get better imo.

near

Gold Member

Plus, no Pep.

edit: you can rarely win by parking the bus against Barcelona unless you've got top defenders and a lot of luck, but you can get a result by coming out to play with an intelligent gameplan and a quality midfield. see: Portugal-Spain at the Euros, Arsenal-Barcelona two years ago.

That's not fair reasoning at all, Barca have faced sides with physical presence in the past and have outplayed them on a very technical level. There is always an excuse for a team to get knocked out of CL. There is no point in highlighting Barca's defensive flaws because they've coped with this strategy for several years now, scoring more than the opposition has helped them. You cannot also claim that 'if' City or Utd were still in CL last season they could have beat Barca, when infact they where both knocked out by inferior teams, while Barca lost in the end anyway.

Also whatever you're definition of a striker is 50+ goals in a season is more than adequate.

Pep is gone, but he's philosophy and team are more or less still intact.

I accept that Barca are beatable, as I've always said this and every El Clasico I favour Madrid. But they aren't that much different from last season is the point I'm addressing. Every team you've mentioned, City, Utd, Arsenal, Milan and Bayern have looked sloppy recently too (not so much Bayern until tonight.)

You can pair big names against your defence, but history shows that it's your possession and execution rate that has prevented them from doing anything. This hasn't changed at all this season, and that's what I'm saying here.

His first touch passing is hilarious. He slams it right into the midsection of the receiving player.

Just a reminder

Me and DC are still on season one of breaking bad so just be careful with the spoiler tags please brosephs

I'm currently going through parks and rec on Netflix, on series 3 and can't remember a show with so many amazing characters I love them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom