• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

xintin

ouch why did I click on that Puyol gif? Im on work internet too so it froze right when his arm was trapped under his body.

Shame, I like Puyol but he seems to get hurt every season.

Clegg

His first touch passing is hilarious. He slams it right into the midsection of the receiving player.

It could definitely be better but overall he's started his season well. He's constantly moving and looking to for the ball. He's also very hard to dispossess when he's dribbling. I think he looks for the killer pass a bit too often though.

He also needs to work on his fitness. He starts tiring after seventy minutes and he gets a bit sloppy. I've been a big critic of him but if he can stay injury free then he could become a huge asset to the team.

He needs to be played in a three man midfield though.

look on slick deals I think you can get 1 month for free and then cancel wo penalty. dont be a bitch I want to beat your ass lol. drinking polish vodka btw. what you did to those people, smh son

smh, son.

197px-Stolichnaya.jpg
is where it's at!

Splatt

baltika9.jpg

I drank this yesterday. Order was 7, 9, 7 (the drinks are labeled 3, 7, 9, because of the alchohol percent in them) and after that there's a huge black hole in my memory.

I'm thinking of bringing this for my Suarez drink game.

jtb

Banned
That's not fair reasoning at all, Barca have faced sides with physical presence in the past and have outplayed them on a very technical level. There is always an excuse for a team to get knocked out of CL. There is no point in highlighting Barca's defensive flaws because they've coped with this strategy for several years now, scoring more than the opposition has helped them. You cannot also claim that 'if' City or Utd were still in CL last season they could have beat Barca, when infact they where both knocked out by inferior teams, while Barca lost in the end anyway.

Also whatever you're definition of a striker is 50+ goals in a season is more than adequate.

Pep is gone, but he's philosophy and team are more or less still intact.

I accept that Barca are beatable, as I've always said this and every El Clasico I favour Madrid. But they aren't that much different from last season is the point I'm addressing. Every team you've mentioned, City, Utd, Arsenal, Milan and Bayern have looked sloppy recently too (not so much Bayern until tonight.)

Who are those physical teams? I'm thinking... Inter 2010, Chelsea 2009, 2012. Real Madrid too, I suppose, but they kicked their way to defeat, more than anything. Chelsea never really came to play, but Inter did and so did Portugal at the Euros. I'm not saying that United or City could have beat them last season, I'm saying they can beat them this season. Especially, in United's case, over two legs (since we all know they'd get, yet again, routed in a final).

And I'm not saying Messi doesn't score goals. He does score goals. So does Ronaldo. But that doesn't make them strikers. Gervinho scores goals too, but he's not a striker.

There's no doubt that Barcelona are very very good, but they haven't been tested lately. Do I think City would win in a knockout tie against Barcelona? Probably not, because Mancini is terrible in Europe and won't make it past the group stage. But I'd think Chelsea and United (assuming Ferguson makes sensible selection choices), and certainly even Arsenal (again, with the proper selection and assuming the squad isn't ravaged by injuries by then) could get at them and win. In all three cases, it's happened before...

Empty

missed the match, just saw the goals. good to see we're van persie's new one man team, but what has happened to evans, he and rio were superb last season together. how did playing with no wingers work out?

Slizz

missed the match, just saw the goals. good to see we're van persie's new one man team, but what has happened to evans, he and rio were superb last season together. how did playing with no wingers work out?

It's Evra man. Always Evra.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm still wondering though if Fergie will sign anybody during the transfer window.

Yeah. I think we're lacking something. What I would really like to see at United is a winger with pace, who can take people on. The perfect choice would be Gareth Bale, but that is very unlikely to happen. Not this season anyway.

United passed the ball well tonight, but Cluj didn't exactly make it hard for them. They preferred to just sit back and get them on the counter.

Clegg

Evans is only coming back from an injury and also strained his calf against Spurs. He's nowhere near 100% fit. Evra was simply shite in the first half.

I think the no wingers experiment worked well enough. It allowed us to play an extra man in midfield so we dominated possession and weren't overrun when Cluj had the ball.

But things got harder when Cluj decided to drop deeper and deeper. The middle of the pitch became congested and it was hard to create chances. Thats when a winger would have come in handy as there was lots of space out wide.

Yen

They never look bad :p

Gotta get this William Hill Age Verification sorted. Reckon I'm okay just taking a photo of my provisional driving license and emailing it to them?

Age verification? Do they normally do this? I just assumed you needed a debit or credit card.

Clegg

Disappointed that Kagawa didn't play. Our midfield would have suited him down to the ground as the are constantly moving. It would have given him options on hthey'd be supporting him and making runs for him to pass to.

And because we didn't have a winger the game was predominately played through the middle. Would have been perfect for him.

near

Gold Member
Who are those physical teams? I'm thinking... Inter 2010, Chelsea 2009, 2012. Real Madrid too, I suppose, but they kicked their way to defeat, more than anything. Chelsea never really came to play, but Inter did and so did Portugal at the Euros. I'm not saying that United or City could have beat them last season, I'm saying they can beat them this season. Especially, in United's case, over two legs (since we all know they'd get, yet again, routed in a final).

And I'm not saying Messi doesn't score goals. He does score goals. So does Ronaldo. But that doesn't make them strikers. Gervinho scores goals too, but he's not a striker.

There's no doubt that Barcelona are very very good, but they haven't been tested lately. Do I think City would win in a knockout tie against Barcelona? Probably not, because Mancini is terrible in Europe and won't make it past the group stage. But I'd think Chelsea and United (assuming Ferguson makes sensible selection choices), and certainly even Arsenal (again, with the proper selection and assuming the squad isn't ravaged by injuries by then) could get at them and win. In all three cases, it's happened before...

Well you've mentioned the teams yourself, and if these ties were to take place again I'd expect a match full of entertainment but Barca would still be the favourites for each tie in my opinion.

But again your hypothetical scenario where Arsenal aren't ravaged by injuries and Utd have a perfect selection. In that case if Barca had there perfect back four without injuries either, they'd be stronger than ever too. Utd, Chelsea and City on a good day can beat Barca. When Arsenal beat Barca 2-1 you had your best side since the invincibles. Fab, Nasri, RVP, Song, etc were playing. I don't see Arsenal doing that again with this current team. We'll see.

Here's to hoping Mourinho can get another win against Barca sunday.

You guys still go on age-restricted websites? Even the best ones
you know
don't bother with that shit anymore

@Kyoufu, chuck us £2.50 and we'll split the potential winnings. Then we can wallow in misery together when Porto and PSG play out a 0-0

@Wes, closer to 0.31% surely?

jtb

Banned
Well you've mentioned the teams yourself, and if these ties were to take place again I'd expect a match full of entertainment but Barca would still be the favourites for each tie in my opinion.

But again your hypothetical scenario where Arsenal aren't ravaged by injuries and Utd have a perfect selection. In that case if Barca had there perfect back four without injuries either, they'd be stronger than ever too. Utd, Chelsea and City on a good day can beat Barca. When Arsenal beat Barca 2-1 you had your best side since the invincibles. Fab, Nasri, RVP, Song, etc were playing. I don't see Arsenal doing that again with this current team. We'll see.

Here's to hoping Mourinho can get another win against Barca sunday.

Those teams all beat Barcelona. Inter in 2010, Chelsea twice (okay, 2009 they lost but that was a fluke due to referees, etc.), United (in 08, pre-Pep era I guess, but using the same tactic that Chelsea used anyways). And that Arsenal side was definitely not the best side since the invincibles... that was practically the same team that drew Newcastle 4-4 just a little bit earlier and lost the Carling Cup just a little bit after. It was a pretty strong team, sure, but Djouru and Eboue in defense? Let's not get carried away here.

as Barca have moved towards anyone and everyone being a midfielder, they will be more vulnerable. Barcelona can be beaten.

If I was to ever bet I would always bet on Spartak to concede goals. They're on like a like a 15+ match run of doing so. Even a team of Neogaffers would put some behind them.

So tonight didn't go very well. Tomorrow we have another chance. This time, I'm open to suggestions. I'm personally advocating the Goals Scored market. Here are my suggestions.

Over 2.5 goals scored in these matches.

Arsenal v Olympiakos
City v Dortmund
Porto v PSG

Win

Real Madrid to win

Odds = 12.34

Comments: The Porto game I am unsure about, but we need a high risk selection to make the odds higher. If we remove them from our betslip, the odds go down to 7.21

Thoughts?

Yen

I found it funny in Rafa's book where he lists all the great players who have left Arsenal for greater things*: Fabregas, Clichy, Nasri... and Eboue.

*my wording not his.

So tonight didn't go very well. Tomorrow we have another chance. This time, I'm open to suggestions. I'm personally advocating the Goals Scored market. Here are my suggestions.

Arsenal v Olympiakos
City v Dortmund
Porto v PSG

Win

Real Madrid to win

Odds = 12.34

Comments: The Porto game I am unsure about, but we need a high risk selection to make the odds higher. If we remove them from our betslip, the odds go down to 7.21

Thoughts?

Maybe next week, wanna limit myself to £5 at a time, otherwise I'll make a habit of blowing £10 once or thrice a week

jtb

Banned

Arsenal v Olympiakos
City v Dortmund
Porto v PSG

Win

Real Madrid to win

Odds = 12.34

Thoughts?

Don't think Dortmund/City will be high scoring, same with Arsenal. Or rather, I can't see both being high scoring.

Regardless, I'll pass on this one. today's was a traumatic experience as is :( ... maybe one for the weekend?

I found it funny in Rafa's book where he lists all the great players who have left Arsenal for greater things*: Fabregas, Clichy, Nasri... and Eboue.

*my wording not his.

Haha, they all left in the same summer too. I don't really think Eboue was a particularly bad player (nice guy, as far as I could tell, and a solid back up), and selling him without a replacement was one of the many absurdly idiotic things Wenger did last summer.

Arsenal v Olympiakos
City v Dortmund
Porto v PSG

Win

Real Madrid to win

Odds = 12.34

Thoughts?

I have a feeling that the Arsenal game might end something like 1-0, 2-0 or 1-1. Don't like the over there. Something I would suggest adding though, is Dynamo Kiev to win.

But what do I know, it's fun playing around with other people's money.

Soi-Fong

Disappointed that Kagawa didn't play. Our midfield would have suited him down to the ground as the are constantly moving. It would have given him options on hthey'd be supporting him and making runs for him to pass to.

And because we didn't have a winger the game was predominately played through the middle. Would have been perfect for him.

This I expect against Newcastle to have wingers again bombarding the box with pointless crosses and 70% of United's play bypassing Kagawa once again. I really don't get what was going through Fergie's mind.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to see what Kagawa, Rooney and RVP could do together since with no wingers, there was no choice but to play through the middle.

near

Gold Member
Those teams all beat Barcelona. Inter in 2010, Chelsea twice (okay, 2009 they lost but that was a fluke due to referees, etc.), United (in 08, pre-Pep era I guess, but using the same tactic that Chelsea used anyways). And that Arsenal side was definitely not the best side since the invincibles... that was practically the same team that drew Newcastle 4-4 just a little bit earlier and lost the Carling Cup just a little bit after. It was a pretty strong team, sure, but Djouru and Eboue in defense? Let's not get carried away here.

as Barca have moved towards anyone and everyone being a midfielder, they will be more vulnerable. Barcelona can be beaten.

So? Barcelona beat Inter in the group stages in 09/10 2-0 and they drew the other leg. The argument is whether Barcelona can cope with physical presence still right? Not whether they're just beatable? Because I've already agree with you that they are. They've coped with Chelsea and Utd in the past too.

I said Arsenals best side since the invincibles because I can't recall a team you guys have had that even comes close to that squad other than the one I've mentioned, regardless of whether you drew 4-4 with Newcastle.

I've said they can be beaten, but defended the notion that it would be easy and that most teams would fail. The argument stemmed from your claim that you'd be "surprised if Barcelona won the CL this year."

jtb

Banned
So? Barcelona beat Inter in the group stages in 09/10 2-0 and they drew the other leg. The argument is whether Barcelona can cope with physical presence still right? Not whether they're just beatable? Because I've already agree with you that they are. They've coped with Chelsea and Utd in the past too.

I said Arsenals best side since the invincibles because I can't recall a team you guys have had that even comes close to that squad other than the one I've mentioned, regardless of whether you drew 4-4 with Newcastle.

I've said they can be beaten, but defended the notion that it would be easy and that most teams would fail. The argument stemmed from your claim that you'd be "surprised if Barcelona won the CL this year."

This argument is clearly going in circles (and I guess we agree, for the most part) :lol, so I'll just add a couple of minor things and we can agree to disagree. imo, the best Arsenal side since the invincibles was definitely 07-08. the way Inter played Barcelona was very different in the knockout stages (where they prevented them from making it to the final by actually playing them and putting them under pressure) than it was in the group stage. And I think Barcelona have only beaten Chelsea... once? And it was before the Pep era. in la liga and the CL, I honestly think they rarely face a competent midfield willing to challenge them and that means they'll struggle to win the trophy this year.

What about Zenit to win tomorrow? I don't fancy Milan at all.

Maybe, but Zenit got beaten 3-0 by Malaga. Then again... Milan...

20121003-pa72iiq3acd6b4yttnb3au11mc.jpg

Odds are around 11.00

If not Zenit, then I think my previous suggestion is worth a shout. The Wednesday games are more difficult to predict. The weekend looks shit too. I do fancy some Europa League action though on Thursday

Kyoufu

I don't think I can talk about football betting anymore.

Getting screwed by 1 goal from supposedly the best team in the world... fuck that.

I'm sticking to WWE PPVs.

near

Gold Member
This argument is clearly going in circles (and I guess we agree, for the most part) :lol, so I'll just add a couple of minor things and we can agree to disagree. imo, the best Arsenal side since the invincibles was definitely 07-08. the way Inter played Barcelona was very different in the knockout stages (where they prevented them from making it to the final by actually playing them and putting them under pressure) than it was in the group stage. And I think Barcelona have only beaten Chelsea... once? And it was before the Pep era. in la liga and the CL, I honestly think they rarely face a competent midfield willing to challenge them and that means they'll struggle to win the trophy this year.

Agree on the circles part. Disagree with 07/08 Arsenal squad. Agree with Inters tactical approach in knockout stage. Agree on competent midfield statement. Disgree with struggle to win statement. Overall I agree. ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom