• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19827887

Roy Hodgson has apologised to Rio Ferdinand after discussing the defender's England future with London Underground passengers. The England coach admitted he told commuters that the Manchester United defender would not be in his latest squad, a day before it was announced. But he denied saying Ferdinand's England career was over.

Hodgson said: "I'm disappointed that a story like that came out and I apologise to him."
On Thursday morning the Daily Mirror reported details of Hodgson's exchanges with passengers as he travelled to watch Arsenal play Olympiakos in the Champions League on Wednesday.

"I have to say it is over for him and England. It has got to be the end of the road," Hodgson was quoted in the paper as saying.
But Hodgson, speaking at an England news conference, said: "Of course I didn't say that Rio's career was over.

"What I remember saying is talking to quite a lot of people on the tube, and one guy said, 'Is Rio in the next squad?', and I think I might have said 'I don't think so'. But I think that's about as far as I went.

"But I shouldn't say that of course. That's a mistake and I need to apologise for that.
"But this is one of the hazards I suppose of travelling on tube trains which is the best way for me to come into London - and then speaking to people on the tube train who ask me questions rather than sitting there tight-lipped refusing to ever open my mouth.
"I've paid for it. I shall learn in future, and maybe this will be a lesson for all those people who see me on the tube.

"Please don't be too offended if I refuse to answer any questions you ask me."
Hodgson said he had tried to speak to Ferdinand since the story was published. "I will apologise to him because there's no way I would ever indicate I wasn't going to use a player in that way," he said.

"But the thing is, I didn't choose him in the squad this time, and it's for the same reasons as before. We have other players, but certainly I'm not suggesting it's the end of the line.
"I would never dream of telling a player when its the end of the line or whatever I'm supposed to have said. That's up to the player to decide for himself, and hopefully that won't be the case.

"When I speak to him I'll make it clear I haven't selected him - who knows if I will select him in the next one - but it would be up to him whether he wants to be a part of it or not."

One hopes he develops the balls to get rid of players. Up to them to decide - wat.

An England manager who doesn't think it's his job to push the eject button ?

AndresON777[/quote said:
Injustica.gif

This is football-gaf

This is what happens when Hodgson manages your team. You start to pay attention to what he says and does, rather than just looking at the results andmaking assumptions, and you gradually lose respect for him, and trust in him. Took about a week when he was at Liverpool, taking a few months in the England hotseat.

Sri Lanka's national anthem is amazing

Arnie

England have better starting centre backs and Neville already made it perfectly clear that having a player of a big pedigree and expectation sat on the bench isn't something they want to have with this squad. If we had a deluge of quality central midfielders below the age of 30 ready to come in and do a job to the very best standard then I doubt Gerrard and Lampard would be in the squad, either.

United fans need to take off your Shinji glasses, Ferdinand for England just isn't something that needs to happen.

Kenka

Man, Belgium has the majority of their players active in big clubs/leagues.

Code:
GK: Thibaut Courtois ([B]Atletico Madrid/ESP[/B]), Simon Mignolet (Sunderland/ANG), 
Jean-François Gillet (Torino/ITA).

DF: Toby Alderweireld ([B]Ajax Amsterdam/HOL[/B]), Laurent Ciman (Standard de Liège), 
Guillaume Gillet (Anderlecht), Vincent Kompany ([B]Manchester City/ANG[/B]), 
Nicolas Lombaerts ([B]Zenit St-Pétersbourg/RUS[/B]), Daniel Van Buyten ([B]Bayern Munich/ALL[/B]), 
Thomas Vermaelen ([B]Arsenal/ANG[/B]), Jan Vertonghen ([B]Tottenham/ANG[/B]).

MF: Nacer Chadli (FC Twente/HOL), Steven Defour (FC Porto/POR), 
Moussa Dembélé ([B]Tottenham/ANG[/B]), Marouane Fellaini (Everton/ANG), 
Timmy Simons (Nuremberg/ALL), Axel Witsel ([B]Zenit St-Pétersbourg/RUS[/B]).

FW: Christian Benteke (Aston Villa/ANG), Kevin De Bruyne ([B]Werder Brême/ALL[/B]),
Eden Hazard ([B]Chelsea/ANG[/B]), Romelu Lukaku (West Bromwich Albion/ANG),
Dries Mertens ([B]PSV Eindhoven/HOL[/B]), Kevin Mirallas (Everton/ANG),
Jelle Vossen/RC Genk).

They could only dream of having such high profile players five years ago. Impressive how quickly they grew them so quickly after such a long drought after the Nilis/Wilmots generation.

elsk

Banned
Man, Belgium has the majority of their players active in big clubs/leagues.

Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich/ALL),

KuGsj.gif

Soi-Fong

England have better starting centre backs and Neville already made it perfectly clear that having a player of a big pedigree and expectation sat on the bench isn't something they want to have with this squad. If we had a deluge of quality central midfielders below the age of 30 ready to come in and do a job to the very best standard then I doubt Gerrard and Lampard would be in the squad, either.

United fans need to take off your Shinji glasses, Ferdinand for England just isn't something that needs to happen.

Lol I think if you ask most United fans including me, they don't want Ferdinand anywhere near the international set-up anymore. Two reasons; England NT is complete shit right now and with our defensive injuries, there's no point risking him in unnecessary games.

Only reason United fans say something is because of the disrespect that Ferdinand has gotten.

danwarb

He's incredibly boring in his interviews, yet he comes out with some right shite. Even if Chelsea weren't bankrolled, we've finished below you every season for what, 25 years?
I think Liverpool would've built a stronger squad under Rafa Benitez with the amount of money actually spent had Chelsea and other big spenders not beaten them to the punch on some transfer targets. Came close in 08/09, but it was United who won it. They've had over 80 points 3 times in the last 10 seasons.

Finished above United in 01/02, a distant 2nd to Arsenal. In 3rd, 1 point behind United when Chelsea ran away with it in 05/06.

Arnie

We don't want or expect it to.

It's just that Hodgson is so fucking muddled. IT IS DEFINITELY YOUR JOB TO TELL A PLAYER THAT THEIR ENGLAND RUN IS AT AN END, FACE-RUBBER.

Hodgson believes that Rio isn't a good fit for this current squad. Should England see a raft of injuries then they may well need Rio, and Rio can do a job (he isn't done in the way that Carragher is, he starts for United). It's a much larger PR disaster if Hodgson publicly calls an end to Rio's career, and then needs him at a later date.

Salazar

It's a much larger PR disaster if Hodgson publicly calls an end to Rio's career, and then needs him at a later date.

He should have the professional skills and sack to do it privately, is what I'm saying. Him saying that he lets players decide is vintage mudbrained Hodgson.

Arnie

Agent Rodwell is doing well.

He's exceeded the level of mediocrity I'd set for him, and proceeded straight to the 'shite' phase. Like my Steven Fletcher transfer fee defence, I stick by my judgement of Rodders.

It gives me much pleasure to look back on Kermit's angry tweet as I praised the transfer of Fletcher, and lambasted the transfer of Rodwell, as if I was being excessively outlandish in my estimation of either.

He should have the professional skills and sack to do it privately, is what I'm saying. Him saying that he lets players decide is vintage mudbrained Hodgson.
But it isn't over, he may well need Rio in the future if injuries cripple the defence. I'm sure he's also made his position on the matter abundantly clear to Rio in private, which obviously we wouldn't be privy too.

Also, fuck ProDirectSoccer, if I pay for '2-3 day shipping', it better reach me in 2 to 3 days. Just sent an aggravated email.

qindarka

Banned
He's exceeded the level of mediocrity I'd set for him, and proceeded straight to the 'shite' phase. Like my Steven Fletcher transfer fee defence, I stick by my judgement of Rodders.

It gives me much pleasure to look back on Kermit's angry tweet as I praised the transfer of Fletcher, and lambasted the transfer of Rodwell, as if I was being excessively outlandish in my estimation of either.

I do think you will turn out to be correct but it is a little too early to judge them. It's still October and barely 10 games have been played.

Kyoufu

Can't believe City thought it'd be a good idea to give Everton, a club with a team that can take points off them the sum of 15 million quid for a homegrown player. Fuckers.

Salazar

Also, fuck ProDirectSoccer, if I pay for '2-3 day shipping', it better reach me in 2 to 3 days. Just sent an aggravated email.

I might send one asking for clarification on my personalised boots.

If they don't want to print JT on them, they should get back to me about it.

Arnie

I do think you will turn out to be correct but it is a little too early to judge them. It's still October and barely 10 games have been played.

Fletcher's done enough to prove my point that he's one of the deadliest finishers in the league. He's also the only Sunderland player to have scored this season, which I think demonstrates my point on it being a transfer necessity. Canvas as many Sunderland fans, and as many football fans from across the country and ask them if, should they be allowed a time machine to go back to the transfer window, they make the transfer for that fee with the power of hindsight?

I'd wager that you wouldn't get a single 'no'.

On the contrary, I'd wager you wouldn't get a single 'yes' for Rodwell. Well, you might from Everton fans, but they'd be so excited at the prospect of all that cash for him that the word could come out a bit jumbled in excitement.

dc89

Gerrard: "There's no two ways about it, If there was no Roman Abramovich or the guy who bought Man City I'd have two or three league titles sitting here now."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"The guy"

:lol

Show some respect to Sheikh Mansour. Plz.

Meier

If you were a professional footballer who would you rather play for, Dortmund or Bayern?

Depends if you want to be on your national team (assuming the player is German as is mostly the case for both of their teams). Bayern gets you on the German team, Dortmund seems like it'd be more fun due to their wealth of young talent.

If you were a professional footballer who would you rather play for, Dortmund or Bayern?
Bayern.

I love Dortmunds current team and their ground and fanbase are top top notch.

But Bayern are one of the most storied clubs around. They will always be at or close to the top.

elsk

Banned
Depends if you want to be on your national team (assuming the player is German as is mostly the case for both of their teams). Bayern gets you on the German team, Dortmund seems like it'd be more fun due to their wealth of young talent.

Apart from Goetze, Dortmund don't really have young talent. They buy players.
Bayern = Badstuber, Alaba, Contento, Mueller, Kroos, etc.

Meier

Apart from Goetze, Dortmund don't really have young talent. They buy players.
Bayern = Badstuber, Alaba, Contento, Mueller, Kroos, etc.

Doesn't really matter if they buy them or not. Dortmund have a number of top tier players that start who are 20-24 and could remain the core of their team for the next 5+ years. Bayern does have a lot of great young players too, but they're not necessarily starters due to their elder players.

I have a feeling the club that'd be more fun to play for would be Dortmund. Ribery and Robben are just such huge assholes, I wouldn't want to be around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom