• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Would Gerrard refer to the Queen as "the woman"?

tumblr_m4g16ntGu91qbuypqo4_250.gif

Arnie

I'd play for Dortmund over Bayern, easily. Playing in that stadium in front of those fans on a regular basis would be a pleasure. And Klopp's the manager, which speaks for itself.

One does wonder what the hell Wenger teaches his players. You had Song who as talented as he is was always caught out of position costing us goals. And now, not just this season but last season as well, we have Vermaelen bombing forward with reckless abandon in an attempt to score goals with a damn the consequences type mentality.

The thing is Vermaelen has always been that kind of centre back and that's why he was highly rated in the first place. He likes to bomb forward and score goals on corners. Vertonghen is from a similar mould. If anything, I'm surprised Vermaelen has managed to stick to his defensive duties that often during his first years at Arsenal.
That kind of attacking/goalscoring CB is pretty popular atm , like David Luiz who was highly rated because he could make mazey runs and score from long range.

Kompany is another type of centre back who takes unecessary risks. He's praised for his technique with the ball and his risky passing game, he'll take those extra touches to dribble past a forward and get up the pitch. When things go right, it's a joy to watch but when it goes wrong, it goes terribly wrong.

Man, Belgium has the majority of their players active in big clubs/leagues.

They could only dream of having such high profile players five years ago. Impressive how quickly they grew them so quickly after such a long drought after the Nilis/Wilmots generation.

Not sure about the "dream" part but it's the result of a long process for Belgian football. Since the Bosman ruling, the Belgian clubs couldn't compete anymore with the rest of Europe and Belgian clubs started dieing because there never was an emphasis on youth development. It's been a long draught since the last decent generation which ended around 2000-2002.

A lot of of our current crop moved during their teenage to the Netherlands and France, which both have a much better youth development network. Guys like Hazard, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Mertens, never ever played in Belgium. Their families were happy sending them abroad early and it paid off.

In Belgium, only Standard invested big money in their youth academy early on, thanks to their money laundering/mafiosi owner. Which turned out pretty well since it produced the likes of Fellaini, Defour, Witsel, Carcela. Anderlecht are trying to do the same thing now but they are just selling their kids too early to clubs like Chelsea.

elsk

Banned
Doesn't really matter if they buy them or not. Dortmund have a number of top tier players that start who are 20-24 and could remain the core of their team for the next 5+ years. Bayern does have a lot of great young players too, but they're not necessarily starters due to their elder players.

I have a feeling the club that'd be more fun to play for would be Dortmund. Ribery and Robben are just such huge assholes, I wouldn't want to be around them.

Neuer: 26 / Weidenfeller: 32
Lahm: 28 / Piszczek: 27
Boateng: 24 / Subotic: 23
Badstuber: 23 / Hummels: 23
Alaba: 20 / Schmelzer: 24
Luiz Gustavo: 25 / Kehl: 32
Schweinsteiger: 28 / Gundogan: 21
Kroos: 22 / Goetze: 20
Mueller: 23 / Kuba: 26
Ribéry: 29 / Reus: 23
Mandzukic 26 / Lewa: 24

I don't see much difference in average age, to be honest. I didn't know Piszczek is 27 already.

I'd play for Dortmund over Bayern, easily. Playing in that stadium in front of those fans on a regular basis would be a pleasure. And Klopp's the manager, which speaks for itself.

Its like asking if you'd rather play for Arsenal in summer 2004 or Man Utd. Only with amazing fans on top.

Are you one of the fans who say "it should have been us"?

:lol

Not at all. Me and my brother just refer to everyone as 'that bellend' :p

Not fussed at all that we didn't get taken over by a sugar daddy. If it happened, it would be nice (in most ways), but its foolish to either expect it or whinge about someone else winning the lottery

edit: Shit, pulled an Andres :p

dc89

Not at all. Me and my brother just refer to everyone as 'that bellend' :p

Not fussed at all that we didn't get taken over by a sugar daddy. If it happened, it would be nice (in most ways), but its foolish to either expect it or whinge about someone else winning the lottery

edit: Shit, pulled an Andres :p

I think FSG have a bob or two! I just think they ha their fingers burnt with Kenny's spending. If Rodgers can show them he can perform he'll get some money I'm sure of it!

Fenerbache v City in the Next Gen is on now I think!

Give Joe Cole a game against Udinese tonight, save Suso for Stoke.

Iknow he played well a couple of days ago, but I'd rather see Adorjan or Ibe or someone than Cole. Anyone who might just have a future here

@dc, I consider a sugar daddy someone who will fix financial mistakes by risking even more money without batting an eyelid. Ergo, FSG are no sugar daddies :p

Shame about the way the transfer window transpired, but I think given time, trust and infrastructure settling, they'll be willing to put more significant money in. They have to when we start going for strikers, surely.

dc89

Remember that movie called Spring Breakers that everyone was looking forward to for various reasons.

When's it out? Not seen anything from it in a while.

Remember that movie called Spring Breakers that everyone was looking forward to for various reasons.

I'm pretty sure if there was anything too saucy in it there would have been a thread about it.

GorillaJu

I would go for Dortmund for the stadium, Klopp, and stability. I feel like at Dortmund I would make my own future, but at Bayern I could get shafted with a change of managing staff and see a lot of setbacks in my career due to the club seeing too much movement in general with staff members.

Meier

It's coming out in 2013. A distributor picked it up about a month ago for US release as I recall.. usually international rights are bought at the same time.

Edit: March 5, 2013 in the US. Looks like it actually premiered at the Venice International Film Festival last month and even competed in the main competition..lol. Guess that must have been what resulted in it getting picked up.

Kenka

I am a Bundesliga fan as a whole so picking a club over another is not my thing. I support Bayern a lot because I grew with them but I would support Greuther Fürth just as much if they qualified for Europe.

Bayern are a pretty settled and stable club themselves, with a not too shabby stadium!

I get why people are saying Dortmund but in terms of well run clubs I'm not sure there are many, if any, better run than Bayern.

Kyoufu

Bayern are a pretty settled and stable club themselves, with a not too shabby stadium!

I get why people are saying Dortmund but in terms of well run clubs I'm not sure there are many, if any, better run than Bayern.

Dortmund aren't cursed in CL finals though.

Arnie

I'd rather do kickups with Reus and Lewandowski, and not share a room/gym/pitch with Robben.

Linius

Man, Belgium has the majority of their players active in big clubs/leagues.

Code:
GK: Thibaut Courtois ([B]Atletico Madrid/ESP[/B]), Simon Mignolet (Sunderland/ANG), 
Jean-François Gillet (Torino/ITA).

DF: Toby Alderweireld ([B]Ajax Amsterdam/HOL[/B]), Laurent Ciman (Standard de Liège), 
Guillaume Gillet (Anderlecht), Vincent Kompany ([B]Manchester City/ANG[/B]), 
Nicolas Lombaerts ([B]Zenit St-Pétersbourg/RUS[/B]), Daniel Van Buyten ([B]Bayern Munich/ALL[/B]), 
Thomas Vermaelen ([B]Arsenal/ANG[/B]), Jan Vertonghen ([B]Tottenham/ANG[/B]).

MF: Nacer Chadli (FC Twente/HOL), Steven Defour (FC Porto/POR), 
Moussa Dembélé ([B]Tottenham/ANG[/B]), Marouane Fellaini (Everton/ANG), 
Timmy Simons (Nuremberg/ALL), Axel Witsel ([B]Zenit St-Pétersbourg/RUS[/B]).

FW: Christian Benteke (Aston Villa/ANG), Kevin De Bruyne ([B]Werder Brême/ALL[/B]),
Eden Hazard ([B]Chelsea/ANG[/B]), Romelu Lukaku (West Bromwich Albion/ANG),
Dries Mertens ([B]PSV Eindhoven/HOL[/B]), Kevin Mirallas (Everton/ANG),
Jelle Vossen/RC Genk).

They could only dream of having such high profile players five years ago. Impressive how quickly they grew them so quickly after such a long drought after the Nilis/Wilmots generation.

And yet they suck in international football. Really don't know how they manage to screw it up time after time. They should have at least be qualified for the last two big tourneys with their selection.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BVB or Bayern? Based Völler.
Dvr1q.gif

Bayern's management is filled with former merda players, I would hate to be bossed around by them.

-

So Mourinho wants time-outs in football. I like the idea, but I can see it being abused to kill your opponent's momentum.

Meier

548630_431007890290838_386736796_n.jpg

They're expecting 66,000 at the Cascadia Cup this weekend between the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers. Should be an exciting match, the closest thing to a Clasico we have here in the US.

Meier

I never liked those gigantic USA-stadiums.

Seattle's is definitely the biggest -- usually they limit the seating there to something like 40k I believe. They share a stadium with the Seahawks (NFL) who obviously get much better attendance typically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom