• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Up to this point I had played 10 in seasons and had 6-3-1

And all of a sudden. France beat me 6-1. Giroud hat trick.

I'm starting to believe in the whole momentum/scripting in fifa. There is no way on earth Giroud would score a hat trick in a simulated football video game.

Meier

Watching Being Liverpool finally. I see what the poster meant when eh talked about him having a propensity to touch people's faces. Weird.

Just saw that Wonga - who is our new sponsor - has given the naming rights of the stadium back to the fans which means Sports Direct Arena will be called St James' Park again! :D

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...sees-Newcastle-United-return-to-St-James-Park

It's a clever move from Wonga as it distracts the fans for long enough so that the serious issue of being sponsored by a legalised loan-shark is not brought up. That £5m per season Wonga are going to give Newcastle comes from the poorest people in the country, people who are the least able to afford the exorbitant interest rates charged on those loans. Surely the fans should be upset by this, I know if Spurs signed a sponsorship deal with one of these companies I would be cancelling my membership in protest.

But hey, you guys got the name of your stadium back so it's all good...

Surely the fans should be upset by this, I know if Spurs signed a sponsorship deal with one of these companies I would be cancelling my membership in protest.

Do you use your membership to go to games with or other stuff? (I don't know how membership at spurs works). I find it difficult to believe that if having a membership meant going to matches that you would give that up over the sponsor.

I'm all for agreeing that its not exactly a great situation for the fans but they're allowed to advertise everywhere why shouldn't they be allowed to do it on a football shirt?

I dismiss The Walking Dead purely based on the premise. I am sour to all things Zombie and this silly obsession with them; their use as antagonists is nothing short of lazy.

Bumhead

Banned
We just won
an Under 21's match
3-2 against Sheffield United.

A wins a win at the moment, I'll take what I can get.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Funny, in the Walking Dead and most zombie films I can think of it's not actually the zombies that are the 'antagonists' IMO.

Exactly. It's the humans that are fighting each other. The zombies are usually just hazards

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

Sorry I couldn't resist

Arnie

We just won
an Under 21's match
3-2 against Sheffield United.

A wins a win at the moment, I'll take what I can get.

Madine scored, which is a bonus. I thought you were much better at the weekend when he came on, the shape was far more positive. There were times in the first half where you were almost playing a false nine.

Do you use your membership to go to games with or other stuff? (I don't know how membership at spurs works). I find it difficult to believe that if having a membership meant going to matches that you would give that up over the sponsor.

I'm all for agreeing that its not exactly a great situation for the fans but they're allowed to advertise everywhere why shouldn't they be allowed to do it on a football shirt?

Membership just lets you buy tickets.

Bumhead

Banned
Madine scored, which is a bonus. I thought you were much better at the weekend when he came on, the shape was far more positive. There were times in the first half where you were almost playing a false nine.

He's a very good player. 18 goals last year, only really behind Ched (spit) and Rhodes in that league last year, quality wise. He had an injury set back or two ahead of the start of the season but if he's getting back into gear he should be starting games. Pound for pound he and Bothroyd is the front two we should be starting with.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I got scared when I saw this. I thought I had said something dumb :lol

tQU0U.gif

lol. I went to the tournament thread to get you avatar and sure enough you were on top of the page!

-I had being liverpool on my dvr but god damn I'm so far behind on boardwalk empire and breaking bad I just deleted it, lol

Meier

Home sick today so I just finished my second episode of Being Liverpool. The match filming is really quite incredible.

Home sick today so I just finished my second episode of Being Liverpool. The match filming is really quite incredible.
You're sick so you're watching a documentary about Liverpool. Strange.

More seriously, it is really well done. It's kinda funny though to see segments with Jay Spearing for example, who then left. But that clown at the start who recites RAWK-ish poetry, what's up with that?

FootballFan

Isco has a £17m buyout clause in his contract.

Fair few clubs should think about activating that in January.

Noooo. What reasons will I have to watch Malaga if he gets taken away. That Portillo fella is quite a player too. (22year old attacking mid for Malaga). Obviously Isco is younger and better though.

Meier

More seriously, it is really well done. It's kinda funny though to see segments with Jay Spearing for example, who then left. But that clown at the start who recites RAWK-ish poetry, what's up with that?
Haha, good dig. The poetry bits are a bit ridiculous. Had episodes piling up on the DVR so I figured it was time to knock a few out.

I dunno if you guys get Hard Knocks in the UK but I think this compares pretty favorably to it. I've been impressed.

Clegg

Isco has a £17m buyout clause in his contract.

Fair few clubs should think about activating that in January.

I'd love it if United signed him but we don't have any space in the squad. He'd be competing with Kagawa and Rooney too.

Besides, we need a midfielder rather than another attacker.

Day 12: Incredible! Zamparini has still not publicly spoken about #Palermo since his 6 month silence promise 12 days ago!

In other news : Dishonored is game of they year so far. The way you can do everything so many ways kind of reminds me of hitman, so it's a thief, hitman, bioshock mix. Not baaaad.

xintin

I had no idea what Wonga was until they signed the deal with Newcastle, but haven't they also sponsored Blackpool and Hearts for a few years now too? Where was the outrage then?

Dave Kirkby I think. It was one of his well-intentioned but cringeworthy monologues which prompted my statement that football poetry and romantic monologues are the worst thing about the sport

xintin

Premier League fans?
Nah. I'd rather see Blackpool back in the top flight. They were fun a couple seasons ago.

If your argument was, however, that it's because Newcastle are a bigger club then I can see that as a reason.

Edit - Sorry for your loss, Facism :(

Not exactly the ideal logo to have on Newcastles shirts but by buying the name of the stadium, they bought me. And it is hard to be to on a team for having a sponsor that negatively affecting people when the team is playing in a league called Barclay´s and betting sponsors are everywhere.

It's a clever move from Wonga as it distracts the fans for long enough so that the serious issue of being sponsored by a legalised loan-shark is not brought up. That £5m per season Wonga are going to give Newcastle comes from the poorest people in the country, people who are the least able to afford the exorbitant interest rates charged on those loans. Surely the fans should be upset by this, I know if Spurs signed a sponsorship deal with one of these companies I would be cancelling my membership in protest.

I just googled spurs and sponsors, and under official partners I found Betfred.com. I would like to see from which part of the society they get their profits and it also extra bad that there whole business is built around making money from peoples addictions.

EDIT: My condolences goes out to you Facism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom