• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
david-alaba-514.jpg

Austria wants him to play on Tuesday.

Watch him get injured again.

This is what I'm doing,

Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia to win.
Over 1.5 goals in the Russia/Portugal game.
Over 2.5 goals in the Italy U21 v Sweden U21 game

@12.44

PaddyPower, Skybet and Stan James are offering the best odds for it.

Kenka

I don't want to take a stand against betting but I don't think you guys can win anything on the long run with it. I am actually sure of that. :-(

elseanio

So it was announced today that possible criminal charges for any wrongdoing over the Hillsborough Disaster will be pursued.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19922092
Hillsborough probe 'to be UK's biggest into police conduct'

Deborah Glass said the IPCC would investigate claims police statements were altered
Continue reading the main story
Hillsborough papers

The IPCC police watchdog and director of public prosecutions have announced they will both launch inquiries into possible crimes committed by police.

The IPCC said both serving and former officers would be investigated over the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans in 1989.

They will consider if individuals or corporate bodies should be charged.

A "large number" of current and former officers now face investigation over claims made in a report on the Hillsborough disaster, the IPCC said.

The announcements were welcomed by the Hillsborough Family Support Group, which said the investigations seemed "too good to be true".

The Hillsborough Independent Panel last month revealed 164 police statements were altered - 116 of them to remove or change negative comments about the policing of the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at the Sheffield stadium.

It said police and emergency services had made "strenuous attempts" to deflect the blame for the disaster on to fans.

The panel also found that 41 of the 96 who died had the "potential to survive" and calls have been made for fresh inquests.

'Potential criminal offences'
Deputy chair of the IPCC Deborah Glass said "without a shadow of a doubt" it would be the biggest ever investigation carried out into police behaviour in the UK.

Both South Yorkshire Police, who dealt with the tragedy, and West Midlands Police, who investigated how South Yorkshire handled the disaster, will come under scrutiny.

Sir Norman Bettison, currently Chief Constable of West Yorkshire, has been referred to the IPCC over allegations that he provided misleading information after the tragedy.

It has also been revealed that he is also under investigation for allegations that he "attempted to influence the decision-making process of the West Yorkshire Police Authority in connection with the referral that they had made", Ms Glass said.

She added: "The potential criminal and misconduct offences disclosed by the panel's report fall into two broad categories.

"They are the allegations that go to the heart of what happened at Hillsborough in April 1989 and individuals and institutions may be culpable for the deaths, and there are allegations about what happened after the disaster, that evidence was fabricated and misinformation was spread in an attempt to shift blame."

West Yorkshire Police said Sir Norman was "keen to co-operate with the IPCC enquiry".

Allegations that statements were altered and that misleading information was passed to the media and MPs will be investigated and could lead to police misconduct and criminal charges, Ms Glass said.

Claims that officers questioned bereaved next of kin about their loved ones' alcohol consumption, carried out alcohol testing and checked the police national computer to find information about the dead and injured could also lead to charges.

Liverpool FC said the inquiries were "another significant step forward in the campaign for justice for Hillsborough families and survivors".

Anne Williams, mother of 15-year-old Kevin Williams who died at Hillsborough, said: "This is really good news. Good news that they are moving quickly to save us any more heartache.

"I welcome it and I know it's going to be a long process, but at least they are getting the ball moving."

Sue Roberts, the secretary of the Hillsborough Family Support Group (HFSG), said she was "amazed" and "very pleased" by the announcements.

"I just hope it all goes through, it seems too good to be true at the moment," she said.

"I haven't heard the full detail yet but it just seems as though everything is going in our favour so fingers crossed it continues in that vein for a change."

'More waiting ahead'
Margaret Aspinall, the group's chairwoman, who lost her son James in the disaster, said she believed "all the families would be quite pleased" with the development.

She said: "We have more waiting ahead of us but we have had 23 years of waiting.

The IPCC will probe allegations that Sir Norman Bettison provided misleading information
"I'm hoping it's going to be sooner rather than later, as I'm a lot older now, I was a relatively young woman at the time, I'm now an old age pensioner."

She added: "I'm just praying, this time, the job will be done thoroughly."

A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "Sir Norman Bettison has consistently made the point since 15 September, three days after the report was published, that these were matters that needed to be investigated formally and fairly by the IPCC.

"At the time, he immediately welcomed the police authority's decision to refer this matter.

"He is on record as saying he is keen to co-operate with the IPCC enquiry, but now that has been launched, he has nothing further to add."

'Outcome families deserve'
Chief Constable of West Midlands Police, Chris Sims, said: "I welcome today's decision by the IPCC to look into the role of West Midlands Police following the tragedy at Hillsborough in 1989.

"As chief constable I read the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report and immediately referred West Midlands Police to the IPCC.

"Today, the IPCC have accepted that referral and West Midlands Police will give their full support to the IPCC investigation."

The Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson said: "The families have waited 23 years to obtain justice and this announcement sets the wheels in motion at long last.

"I sincerely hope that no stone will be left unturned in delivering the outcome that the families deserve.

"I also welcome the fact that they and the Independent Police Complaints Commission will be investigating both former and serving South Yorkshire Police officers, including Sir Norman Bettison.

"The part he and others played, revealed by the independent panel's report, showed that there must be a full investigation into their role in the cover-up."

Good to see the right course of action being taken over the Hillsborough coverup

XCOM arrived today, and I want to name my soldiers after footy-gaf members. I have the names of the guys in the paid FPL, but if you want to join in feel free to PM me your name, or whatever name you want to represent you (realistic names only, please :p)

Then I'll keep you guys updated on the deaths of my guys, just a bit of fun :D

Word of warning, Mancs and Bayernistas will be first in the firing line :p

Wanna complete Syberia before starting Dishonored, I like to have 2 games going at a time. Should be done by tomorrow

Carbonox

I wouldn't mind trying X-COM but I haven't played an RTS since Alien vs Predator Extinction on the PS2. :p

Would it be a good experience for someone with practically no experience in the genre (or good experience, even though I had fun with that AVP RTS game)?

Messi

I wouldn't mind trying X-COM but I haven't played an RTS since Alien vs Predator Extinction on the PS2. :p

Would it be a good experience for someone with practically no experience in the genre (or good experience, even though I had fun with that AVP RTS game)?

This was me, and I loved trying the demo. Buying it today.

Based on the GBQL, it doesn't look like a traditional RTS, but more like an ARPG. Also, Messi, pick a fucking avatar and stick with it.

Surprisingly no. It's not too big on my non-Freewheelin' hands, fits into my pocket and it even feels lighter(!) than my iPhone.

Really? I've always found even the flagship Android phones too big. It is the biggest reason I stick with the iPhone. I wish I didn't get a 4S a few months ago so I can get a 5. Those things feel like nothing, it's kind of incredible.

That honestly shocks me. Belgium have amazing players. Like truly amazing players. :(

We have a good squad but we don't have a good balance. Too many attacking midfielders and central midfielders (not helped by the fact Dembélé and Fellaini have completely changed their position now), also too many wingers who like to cut in and can't score.

We have no good striker. We have a few promising and decent strikers like Ogunjimi, Benteke or Lukaku but you wouldn't rely on them to bang goals on an international level yet.

Our defence usually is shaky, they like to bomb forward and they look good doing so but they are really error prone and it often leads to a stupid goal. The Serbian defence is taller, stronger and as dangerous going forward : Subotic, Ivanovic and Kolarov.

They have more talent in attack too, Tosic, Tadic and Markovic are lethal and they can easily compete with the likes of Hazard or Mertens technically.

Another thing to take into account is that Belgium historically struggle a lot against Slavic countries, especially this crop of players. We've lost against Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia in almost all our games, they have too much flair for us to deal with. That's why the Belgian coach said he would settle for one point tonight.

Honestly, squad strength wise, Belgium is probably third or fourth in their group, behind Croatia and Serbia for sure.

PaulLFC

This is... I don't even know:

This is me - not Duncan. Duncan Jenkins is a character - everything he said or did on Twitter was in character, and it's probably fairly important to make the distinction between me and Dunc.

Duncan has been around since about 2009, and in November 2011 he took to Twitter for the first time, in what was surely another doomed bid to find the fame he so desperately craved.

Incredibly, and laughably, Slam Dunc did find some sort of fame. Almost 40,000 followers, including a healthy number of football journalists, eminent Twitter football people, and even the likes of Dara O'Briain. His favourite follower, however, was - and still is - the delightful Kelly Cates. Hi Kelly! *cheery wave*

If you're reading this you will almost certainly know what happened to Dunc during 2012 - the two transfer windows, a few 'scoops', the change of manager at Liverpool FC, live webchats, columns for Goal.com etc. It was absolutely fucking mental.

United fans

Before I go any further and reveal the madness that ensued in late August, I ought to make it clear that I'm a lifelong Liverpool supporter. Duncan...well, he's Oldham til he dies. I guess it became pretty obvious that I'm a Liverpool supporter - plenty of people on Twitter realised and I got it in the neck from numerous angry Manchester United fans who for whatever reason seemed to feel let down by it.

I'll no doubt be subjected to loads more abuse from United fans now I've admitted it - but I want to blow smoke up your arses before I go on.

When Duncan was stuck on fewer than a thousand followers, back in November, he received tremendous support from a core of United fans, particularly a group who work at MUTV and at the club's website. They know who they are. I want to thank them for their support, their promotion of Duncan, and I hope they don't hold it against me.

The likes of @xbirchy, Steve Bibby, Laura Kane, Nick Coppack and others - most of them Man United employees - were fantastic with Duncan. They seemed to love him and Dunc certainly loved them. Another United fan - Matt Savage (@MattSavage7) - has known for ages that I was behind Duncan...since I drunkenly let it slip hours after we beat Everton in the FA Cup semi-final. Matt deserves credit for keeping it to himself for all this time. Cheers mate, I appreciate it.

The Sahin Saga

In August, Duncan put his neck on the block and claimed Sahin was a certainty to sign for Liverpool - he would give up his dream of making it as a journo and quit Twitter if Sahin didn't sign for LFC.

On August 19th, when it appeared Sahin was certain to sign for Arsenal, Duncan deactivated his Twitter account.

In the ensuing hours after Duncan 'left' Twitter, a number of hoax profiles sprung up. Some three hours after Duncan left, I reactivated his account simply to announce that any supposed Duncan Jenkins accounts were fake.

Minutes after Duncan's comeback tweet, I (me, not Duncan) received this DM on my personal Twitter account.

The rest of the article - have a read, it's absolutely ridiculous. What was Chang thinking?

I think Chang might survive because if the work he's done up to now. If he'd just stepped throught the door, he'd be kicked back out of it judging by that blog

@Willkiller, I'm collating real names to use in XCOM. Don't worry, I won't be posting any real names on here :)

dc89

Amazon are doing the Dark Knight Trilogy on Blu Ray for £30, pretty cool deal if you need the whole collection.

I'll be holding out for a nifty steel book and a digital copy is a must!

Holy shit...

http://duncanjenkins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/such-little-thing-makes-such-big.html

Well this could get interesting. Nice knowing you Jen.

Incredible read, that Jen Chang dude comes accross as a real gangster with his methods. Threatening to ruin the guy's life and his family's business?

Hard to believe even, I think it was Odd Morsel who said Jen had a stellar pedigree and improved Liverpool communication and image since he took charge as PR head. Can't see him staying after this.

Bo-Locks

Holy shit...

http://duncanjenkins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/such-little-thing-makes-such-big.html

Well this could get interesting. Nice knowing you Jen.

I only knew that Duncan Jenkins was a character invented by somebody on twitter for a bit of a laugh, and I don't know what happened in the last few months, but that is hilarious.

-Duncan costing the club money (hundreds of thousands of pounds)
-Duncan beating professional journalists to the story based on twitter nonsense
-Had LFC DOC scrambling around, looking for a non-existent mole
-Had the livelihood of his family threatened

WOW WTF

PaulLFC

I'll read that Duncan thing when I get in. Can someone summarise it in a bullet point or two for now though?
- A Liverpool fan starts "Duncan Jenkins"'s twitter account. As we know, Duncan isn't real.
- Duncan gets some of our transfers right, notably Borini.
- Duncan threatens to deactivate his account if Sahin doesn't sign for LFC. It looks like he's off to Arsenal, so Duncan deactivates his account.
- Fakes start apparing, so Duncan reactivates to tell people they're fake.
- Jen Chang DMs the person behind Duncan (not to Duncan directly) wondering why he's back.
- The person in question is wondering how Chang found who he was.
- An email conversation leads to a meeting.
- Jen Chang says Duncan has cost the club money over Borini (Roma didn't want it getting out, Duncan guessed it based on a newspaper report, Roma upped the fee)
- Chang apparently threatens to make Duncan and his family's lives hell if he doesn't quit twitter.
- Apparently Chang has had a "dossier" compiled on Duncan and involved the papers, in an attempt to find who was behind him.
- All of this was apparently done by Chang personally, without the club's knowledge.

Is it true? Who knows, but I can't see why the person behind the Duncan account would lie about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom