• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusTom

4 game ban and a fine for something that has dragged on for months and which the laws of this land have already cleared him of.

JT is a.. well, he's a JT, but this is a bad joke.

The FA are a disgraceful institution and aren't fit for purpose.

This is what I don't understand, if the law says he's not guilty, who the fuck are the FA to argue!

FuturusX

4 game ban and a fine for something that has dragged on for months and which the laws of this land have already cleared him of.

JT is a.. well, he's a JT, but this is a bad joke.

The FA are a disgraceful institution and aren't fit for purpose.

Erm no...his defense was laughable and he squeezed by in criminal proceedings on a technicality. 4 games is too few. FA are a joke...we can agree on that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You do know there is this thing called presumption of innocence.

Yes, which is why he was found not guilty. That doesn't mean the court was convinced he didn't do it. They simply weren't 100% certain he did.

See also: Michael Jackson.

In other news, Jenas to Forest is official. Only a one-month loan but hopefully we don't see him again.

qindarka

Banned
Erm no...his defense was laughable and he squeezed by in criminal proceedings on a technicality. 4 games is too few. FA are a joke...we can agree on that.

It was not a technicality. It was the failure to establish beyond reasonable doubt. The judge did state that he found Terry to be a reliable witness after all.

Yes, which is why he was found not guilty. That doesn't mean the court was convinced he didn't do it. They simply weren't 100% certain he did.

See also: Michael Jackson.

Thats the point. If we can;t be certain if someone did something ,we assume they didn't.

Pretty funny that the FA find him guilty of something the Court cleared him of.

Thing is, I am not fussed because in my mind, Terry said it. I don't believe his explanation. I think he has lied about it. Of course the Court too suggested as much - but they couldn't condemn him.

Easy for me to say and make my own judgement because I'm just one guy and I don't have to go worry about going by procedure - but I can't pretend to be flustered over a pretty shoddy decision making process because I just can't help but think Terry did racially abused Ferdinand and was basically getting away with it.

Eight years? Good grief. That German girl will likely be in her mid 20s by then.

This is actually pretty huge for us.

For your consideration:
ibaaU8kg4c8Hep.jpg

YEAH PARDEW! YEAH STABILITY!

FuturusX

It was not a technicality. It was the failure to establish beyond reasonable doubt. The judge did state that he found Terry to be a reliable witness after all.

The court found that his guilt was probable, though not beyond reasonable doubt. You decide if that's considered technical or not.

Ushojax

Thats the point. If we can;t be certain if someone did something ,we assume they didn't.

The court didn't assume he didn't do it, though. They have to have cast-iron proof, and in this case, they acknowledge he likely did commit racial abuse but they didn't have the required burden of proof to find him guilty.

Do we all assume OJ didn't do those murders just because they couldn't prove it in a court of law?

The judge said:

In his written judgement, he said that after weighing the evidence it was "highly unlikely" that Mr Ferdinand accused Mr Terry of racially abusing him however he said it was possible that Mr Terry believed at the time that an accusation had been made.

Mr Riddle went on: "The prosecution evidence as to what was said by Mr Ferdinand at this point is not strong.

"It is therefore possible that what he [Mr Terry] said was not intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him.

"In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty."

qindarka

Banned
Do you think Terry is innocent?

What I think is irrelevant. In all honesty, I am genuinely not sure and I am glad that I can defer to a higher authority and give him the benefit of the doubt.

The court didn't assume he didn't do it, though. They have to have cast-iron proof, and in this case, they acknowledge he likely did commit racial abuse but they didn't have the required burden of proof to find him guilty.

Do we all assume OJ didn't do those murders just because they couldn't prove it in a court of law?

If you are using the wrongness of the OJ case as an argument that the decision here was wrong as well, why not assume that all court decisions are wrong.

I know the courts aren't perfect but they are the best we have and we might as well follow their decisions, not just when it suits us.

JesusTom

Do you think Terry is innocent?

Edit - As in, you believe his version of the event.

I personally believe Terry.

The law says he's innocent, he's had loads of character witnesses say he wouldn't say it.

On the other hand, Anton Ferdinand and his brother say he did it.

That's enough for me.

Ushojax

If you are using the wrongness of the OJ case as an argument that the decision here was wrong as well, why not assume that all court decisions are wrong.

I know the courts aren't perfect but they are the best we have and we might as well follow their decisions, not just when it suits us.

I'm not saying the decision was wrong, it was absolutely right as the evidence just wasn't there. I'm just saying not guilty =/= innocent.

FuturusX

Where exactly in the judgment did it say that his guilt was probable? Anyway, probable isn;t good enough in any case.

Actually it is. A judgement by a profeesuonal body has it's own standards to adhere to.

Perhaps the FA's standards in this regard are superior or more appropriate to the case, given that a prison sentence is not at stake. A criminal court should have a higher standard than a workplace dispute. The law has to be applied to much broader and graver matters. The fact that he was cleared in a criminal case is irrelevant. This isn't a murder trial. He was caught on video uttering the words...if he was my employee - the case would be quite clear.

I personally believe Terry.

The law says he's innocent, he's had loads of character witnesses say he wouldn't say it.

On the other hand, Anton Ferdinand and his brother say he did it.

That's enough for me.
But the law didn't really declare him fully innocent.

They said he is not guilty.

That's not the same as being innocent - because the court itself said they didn't really trust Terry's version of events.

Anyway - this will get messy. No doubt the processes' are not precise enough, the FA's especially - but I don't believe Terry. I'm happy to say he is not guilty and that the Court's ruling should be respected.

I don't consider him innocent. His story is ridiculous.

Edit - Rio Ferdinand hasn't commented on this case. If you want to go along with a court's technical ruling you should keep that kind of assumption out of your thought process.

qindarka

Banned
I'm not saying the decision was wrong, it was absolutely right as the evidence just wasn't there. I'm just saying not guilty =/= innocent.

I know that. I do think that the defendant should get the benefit of the doubt though and not have to constantly shoulder the condemnation of society based on what he may have possibly done.

Anyway, I wish to drop this discussion now. None of us are going to change our opinions and I understand that. I admit that if I were not a Chelsea fan, I would likely also be of the views as you.

Salazar

Ashley Young is an 84 while Kagawa is a 78.

Fearlessness multiplier.

Wonder if Ando is too gassed to feature on the weekend. That moment down in the corner where he had about 3 or 4 yards to run but just couldn't muster the cardio - :lol

scarybore

I've been saying for many years that stability is something Newcastle desperately needs, but a 8 year contract for a football manager is simply farcical of Steve Kean proportions.

JesusTom

I've been saying for many years that stability is something Newcastle desperately needs, but a 8 year contract for a football manager is simply farcical of Steve Kean proportions.

Graham Carr got an 8 year contract not long ago. As long as he keeps bringing in great players on the cheap and Pards keeps getting the best out of them, I don't see a problem.

Rome, 27 set. - Palermo football club president Maurizio Zamparini today announced he is to resign all management appointments.

During a press conference held at Palermo's Barbera Stadium, Zamparini said "I will be standing down and, as of today, Pietro Lo Monaco is the new CEO, and he will have full powers concerning both management and the team."

Zamparini also asked the press to "refer to Mr Lo Monaco" for any further queries "up until the end of the football season." Zamparini argued that while he regretted the decision, "holding office as president for ten years has proved extremely demanding."

The now former president explained that the reasons for the handover also include "the need to follow my other businesses more closely, given the current economic crisis," and his "current political commitments."

Zamparini went on to say that he and Lo Monaco had discussed the potential handover in the past, and "found an agreement in a matter of minutes."

3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Asked for his opinion on the matter earlier today Catania President Antonino Pulvirenti responded bluntly.

“I don't give a damn.”

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom