• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

operon

Midnight launches are great took 45 mins to get blacks ops and the same for gears of war 3 the queue was good fun. now our game is gone

Hixx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_g_qyy9BVI

KuGsj.gif

Why, as an adult, would you do this? Pretending to host a Sports news show.

Facism

there needs to be a firefox plugin that lets you rename any thread locally, so we can all have the OT that we want.

I own quite a few pairs (511) but Levis are very overpriced in this country. They're not what you'd call a premium product in America (which is what they are sold as here) or so I've been told.

Arnies a handsome dude

I need to do some shopping but never have patience for it these days, it's a real pain with a pram and whatnot, how much was the blazer by the way it looks good

As an aside I think I love Ron Swanson, I may change my name to Ron Swanson!

Arnie

Good man. I'm a blazer obsessive.

It's so smart/casual it hurts. Can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be appropriate to wear it, besides bed. Granted, in many you'd probably look a tit. Just going to wear it for trips to Spar and hope girls fall over themselves at my apparent disregard for how much suave I'm oozing.

Or, again, and probably more likely, I'll probably look a tit.

Arnies a handsome dude

I need to do some shopping but never have patience for it these days, it's a real pain with a pram and whatnot, how much was the blazer by the way it looks good

As an aside I think I love Ron Swanson, I may change my name to Ron Swanson!

Blazer was £56 with a 20% discount down from £70. Meadowhall (Sheffield's trafford centre knockoff) had a 'student lock in' tonight, which you'd have hated, so a few stores had some juicy discounts. My Levi's should've been £90 but I got them for £63, and they were giving out vodka and red bull in the shop. It was very hipster, they had a DJ and everything. Far too much, in my opinion.

Arnie

No elbow pads on the blazer though.

There are mate. The collar looks weird in the photo, it's not two tone as the picture implies, but the trim is all the darkish brown colour, and the pads are too. It's library clobber, and I love it.

Burton, by the way, if any of UK GAF want to grab themselves one.

Sloosha

There are mate. The collar looks weird in the photo, it's not two tone as the picture implies, but the trim is all the darkish brown colour, and the pads are too. It's library clobber, and I love it.

Burton, by the way, if any of UK GAF want to grab themselves one.

Awesome. You'll look like a Princeton professor of Anthropology. Do you have any thick framed glasses?

keit4

Banned
So, Deportivo will play against Real Madrid this Sunday. It's hard to admit that i know we will get destroyed and humilliated by that fucking team :/ Specially if we play the same defense of the last matches... (Evaldo, our LB, is not what we call a superstar).

A 3-0 would be a nice result :(

Clegg

Watching the NFL.

Some dude just got killed.

I mean properly flattened.

Got tackled round the legs and as he was falling, a second tackler shoulder charged his head.

His helmet flew off and his head smashed to the ground. It looked awful.

ATF487

Watching the NFL.

Some dude just got killed.

I mean properly flattened.

Got tackled round the legs and as he was falling, a second tackler shoulder charged his head.

His helmet flew off and his head smashed to the ground. It looked awful.

And he got kicked in the face after, albeit accidentally

ATF487

I didn't see the kick.

He was properly out cold after that tackle.

Yeah he got up after, probably concussed though.

It really is a dangerous sport sometimes. I wish I watched more Rugby to see what those tackling styles/head injuries are like; NFL and ice hockey can ruin your life long after your playing days are over

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think in the NFL the helmets just make things worse. I was watching some rugby the other day on fox soccer channel and it's like watching triple option offense with cfl style punting in which you can score. It was interesting but I don't know if I'd watch regularly unless it was for a title of some sort.

Dat pass

Clegg

Yeah he got up after, probably concussed though.

It really is a dangerous sport sometimes. I wish I watched more Rugby to see what those tackling styles/head injuries are like; NFL and ice hockey can ruin your life long after your playing days are over

In rugby, the referee immediately stops the game if he suspects a player has suffered a head injury. The doctors are brought onto the pitch to treat the player and then the decision is made as to whether the player can continue. If he can't then he's subbed off and he's not allowed to play for another three weeks. The player is then tested and scanned for any ill effects.

Rugby has become a lot more physical in the last ten years. Players are getting bigger and stronger so the number of concussion based injuries are on is on the rise. In the next 10-15 years the number of ex-pros with health problems due to concussion, will increase. It's a knock on effect from players becoming bigger.

Then there's also the problem that some players are failing to report possible concussions to their club doctors as they know they'll miss 3 weeks if they do.

Clegg

I think in the NFL the helmets just make things worse. I was watching some rugby the other day on fox soccer channel and it's like watching triple option offense with cfl style punting in which you can score. It was interesting but I don't know if I'd watch regularly unless it was for a title of some sort.

Dat pass

Watch Leinster. They're rugbys equivalent of Barcelona. They've won the Champions League of rugby three times in the last four years. Their captain is Brian O'Driscoll, one of the best players to ever take to the field.

Here's a video of the 2011 Heineken Cup Final

The other parts are in the related videos bar. Give it a watch. It's one of the best games I've ever seen from any sport. And it featured a comeback better than Istanbul 2005.

Sloosha

In rugby, the referee immediately stops the game if he suspects a player has suffered a head injury. The doctors are brought onto the pitch to treat the player and then the decision is made as to whether the player can continue. If he can't then he's subbed off and he's not allowed to play for another three weeks. The player is then tested and scanned for any ill effects.

Rugby has become a lot more physical in the last ten years. Players are getting bigger and stronger so the number of concussion based injuries are on is on the rise. In the next 10-15 years the number of ex-pros with health problems due to concussion, will increase. It's a knock on effect from players becoming bigger.

Then there's also the problem that some players are failing to report possible concussions to their club doctors as they know they'll miss 3 weeks if they do.

The same with American football, at all levels of the game. It's why there's been this widespread outcry to highlight the deleterious effects that concussions have to your mental health. Also been some recent rule changes in the NFL in response to the issue.

Mumei

If we're some superhero pairing then the world's got no fucking hope whatsoever.

He's 6' 2". I'm 5' 7".

5'7", as well.

I had a friend who was 6'1" who thought we were the same height (he had referred to a guy on a college basketball team who was 6'2" as being "around our height" and was incredulous when I said I was 5'7"), which that picture makes even more amusing in retrospect.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Watch Leinster. They're rugbys equivalent of Barcelona. They've won the Champions League of rugby three times in the last four years. Their captain is Brian O'Driscoll, one of the best players to ever take to the field.

Here's a video of the 2011 Heineken Cup Final

The other parts are in the related videos bar. Give it a watch. It's one of the best games I've ever seen from any sport. And it featured a comeback better than Istanbul 2005.

Thx I'll check it out when I'm home. I like rugby. I saw that final from last year in australian rules football and it was pretty cool. I'll watch almost any sport as long as the stakes are high

----hmm that link didn't work for me probably cos I'm in the us.

this one seems to be part 1. The nfl game tonight sucks so I'll watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalWd3GYB3w

ATF487

Clegg said:

Yeah this is pretty similar to what they do in the NFL.

My original comment was wondering whether or not the helmets are to blame, but it sounds like they are just a reality of the sports

Sloosha

My original comment was wondering whether or not the helmets are to blame, but it sounds like they are just a reality of the sports

I think so. Certainly more awareness of the issue now.

Helmets do seem to give a bigger target for those head-to-head contacts though. Also, the whiplash after being knocked to the ground does seem particularly nasty.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
After watching the first part of that rugby match I think I would definitely prefer to wear pads and a helmet, lol

Some dude just got ran the fuck over by the dude carrying the ball. Looked like a concussion

3Sixty

NFL is a much more impact sport. So head injuries are more prevalent. However muscular, neck and spinal injuries more so in Rugby because of sustained pressure (In scrums, mules, rucks etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom