• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

New Who is special for me as it's probably the first TV show I've genuinely loved. But looking back, I genuinely didn't like the first season bar a few episodes. Everything just looked so cheap and poorly produced.

The show only really began to hit it's stride in S3 imo.

Weirdly, at least in terms of drama, this was probably The Wire for me. I randomly rented the DVDs when I was around 14 and watch the whole thing in about 2 weeks. Only re-watched it once, probably due another. There's so many other HBO shows like Deadwood and Sopranos that I haven't seen that I should probably watch first though.

Sloosha

Weirdly, at least in terms of drama, this was probably The Wire for me. I randomly rented the DVDs when I was around 14 and watch the whole thing in about 2 weeks. Only re-watched it once, probably due another. There's so many other HBO shows like Deadwood and Sopranos that I haven't seen that I should probably watch first though.

Working my way through the Wire, for the first time, at the moment. Just started the second season.

Messi

The first time I watched or even knew about serialized tv was 24. It amazed me. Man those first few seasons were awesome.

jtb

Banned
The first time I watched or even knew about serialized tv was 24. It amazed me. Man those first few seasons were awesome.

24 was also one of the first shows that I really closely followed. Season 1 in itself is probably one of the best seasons of any TV ever (Kim shenanigans aside), Season 5 is fucking awesome too. Homeland being awesome has definitely softened the blow, but god those last couple seasons of 24 were awful. It was sad to see what the show had become, really.

Fry

I watched the entire series between late january/early march. Also re-watched the seasons I had previously watched (5,6,7).

Absolutely love it, one of my all time favs.

Clegg

The Wire is a brilliant show. Probably the best series I've ever watched. But I only got into it a few years ago, after it was finished. Ditto Sopranos and The West Wing.

I started watching New Who at the very beginning. I think there is something special about following a show week by week as new episodes are released. You don't get that by watching them on DVDs or Netflix.

Messi

24 was also one of the first shows that I really closely followed. Season 1 in itself is probably one of the best seasons of any TV ever (Kim shenanigans aside), Season 5 is fucking awesome too. Homeland being awesome has definitely softened the blow, but god those last couple seasons of 24 were awful. It was sad to see what the show had become, really.

Season 2 for me, its what hooked me for good.

Fry

but god those last couple seasons of 24 were awful. It was sad to see what the show had become, really.

Meh, it wasn't that bad. And the show didn't stay on air having bad quality for too long. The only seasons that could be considered BAD are 6 and 8.

S7 was fucking awesome.

Fintan

The Wire is a brilliant show. Probably the best series I've ever watched. But I only got into it a few years ago, after it was finished. Ditto Sopranos and The West Wing.

I started watching New Who at the very beginning. I think there is something special about following a show week by week as new episodes are released. You don't get that by watching them on DVDs or Netflix.

I see what you mean. Now that I think about it, there aren't many shows that I actually watch on broadcast TV. I either watch DVDs or on the computer.

I don't know how important that is for me though.

jtb

Banned

It may have turned out to be complete shit, but following Lost every week was fantastic. But then the sting of disappointment hurts even more when you've invested so much...

Meh, it wasn't that bad. And the show didn't stay on air having bad quality for too long. The only seasons that could be considered BAD are 6 and 8.

S7 was fucking awesome.

ehh, they killed off MAJOR SPOILER
Bill Buchannan and brought back Tony
in that season right? That's where I just realized that the showrunners killed people off for shock factor and they had no idea what they were doing with the show anymore. Then they had to correct for that mistake with some contrived plot device. It just turned into this big neo-con fantasy, which was particularly disappointing when the show was certainly nowhere near as right-wing when the show first started, imo.

1-5 are all varying levels of good to great though.

Clegg

I see what you mean. Now that I think about it, there aren't many shows that I actually watch on broadcast TV. I either watch DVDs or on the computer.

I don't know how important that is for me though.

Doctor Who is the only show I still watch on TV tbh.

I'd catch the odd episode of a show I'm interested in, but usually I just wait until the series finishes and get it on DVD.

Sloosha

^ :lol.

Loved watching Voyager and Enterprise on a weekly basis even if they weren't particularly great shows. Comfort TV, kind of like Doctor Who.

Slizz

Lebron James special:

FM37T.jpg

Pretty bad ass.

FootballFan

MEDICAL FOOTIE GAF HALP (DONT CLICK NSFW)

ok, SO my ass has been bothering me since I did a number 2 in work earlier today. I have been walking like a cowboy, they have some pretty shitty toilet roll in there, but I needed to go, I usually wouldnt. I get home and take a 2nd number 2 and now I see blood. What are my options here?

Am I about to bleed out as I sleep?

AFER DARK

edit: FUCK WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE TOP OF THE BLOODY PAGE.

Could have intestinal infection or it could just be plain old hemorrhoids. Is the blood dark or light?

Salazar

John Barnes is a div

"It (diving) has never been an issue in South America, Italy or Spain," Barnes said.

"In other countries players are not judged from a moral point of view, but that is the case in England because we are English and we are morally correct, we are the moral policemen of the world.

What is it with Liverpool players and naff cultural studies bollocks ?

GorillaJu

John Barnes is a div

What is it with Liverpool players and naff cultural studies bollocks ?

He's absolutely 100% right, but its not just the English. Football news I read half the time is hardly news, but events presented with the aim to pass moral judgment on the players, coaches, etc. Americans have this problem as well. We think its our job to judge who in the world is right or wrong by our own measurement.

I'm sorry but John Barnes is completely correct. The way the English morally judge sportsmen is disgraceful

Salazar

I'm sorry but John Barnes is completely correct. The way the English morally judge sportsmen is disgraceful

It's not an excuse for him to do a prancing "I know about colonialism" act.

It's an exaggerated tendency of tabloid journalism, not of any unitary national character. I don't see the point or the intellectual substance in voluntarily surrendering control of popular identity to the Sun and the Daily Mail. That's where you find a puritanical attitude detestably mixed with xenophobia: that's what Barnes is banging on about, and he'd have a point, but he descends into shite when he attempts wider sociological summary.

GorillaJu

It's not an excuse for him to do a prancing "I know about colonialism" act.

It's an exaggerated tendency of tabloid journalism, not of any unitary national character. I don't see the point or the intellectual substance in voluntarily surrendering control of popular identity to the Sun and the Daily Mail. That's where you find a puritanical attitude detestably mixed with xenophobia: that's what Barnes is banging on about, and he'd have a point, but he descends into shite when he attempts wider sociological summary.

You make a good point re: surrendering identity, but I don't think it's wrong to say that people who don't buy into the Daily Mail level of discourse are the exception and not the rule. The DM headlines, in my experience in talking with football fans, do reflect a pervasive conscience. And that conscience has always been disappointing to me.

I'm not sure if its the international nature of football and the close proximity to other footballing countries (this theory goes out the window when you consider South America) that drives this whole moral superiority complex, but it is, in my experience, an annoying trait exclusive to football and prevalent among the English. I think less xenophobia, more nationalism.

Lightning

Banned
Are you not aware of Malaga situation?
Of course I am but for that price he is a steal and no competition for him? Malaga lost money on him that they paid for him just a year prior.

Seems silly. They could have and should have bleed more money for a player.

elsk

Banned
Of course I am but for that price he is a steal and no competition for him? Malaga lost money on him that they paid for him just a year prior.

Seems silly. They could have and should have bleed more money for a player.

The owners wanted to sell the club ASAP, they needed to get money to pay the debt first. It worked nicely for Arsenal.

Meier

Started a management career game as Porto. James demanded a transfer in the first window..board made me sell him. :( Got $44m from City. Chelsea was not willing to negotiate about my $50m valuation.

rodvik

Btw is it possible to play as just one player in PES like FIFA career mode?

I own both but havent really cracked PES much yet, I cant get past the dribbling tutorial :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom