• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
iYPwhRhXojSv4.gif

The rest.

Fintan

We scored some pretty nice goals. Mata's in particular.

Obviously you can't take too much away from a League Cup game against a Wolves B Team, but I was really pleased with the performance. You're right, Mata's goal was great. I think all the debutantes and young players did really well. I'd like to see Romeu & Ramires featuring in the midfield two more often. Azpilicueta looks good and it was nice to see Piazon playing. Good to see Torres get a goal and he probably should have scored a second. Marin being fit is good news too.

Still worried about the Arsenal game though.

Obviously you can't take too much away from a League Cup game against a Wolves B Team, but I was really pleased with the performance. You're right, Mata's goal was great. I think all the debutantes and young players did really well. I'd like to see Romeu & Ramires featuring in the midfield two more often. Azpilicueta looks good and it was nice to see Piazon playing. Good to see Torres get a goal and he probably should have scored a second. Marin being fit is good news too.

Still worried about the Arsenal game though.
Agree with all of the above other than the Arsenal part. I actually feel pretty confident about this game - if only because their more open style should allow us to play. The opposite of the Stoke game basically. I think we're on our way to having a good footballing side if we're able to play. Which often we don't because of the bus parkers. But hey, can't knock them, it worked for us.

I am bored by life :(

I go to work 5-6 days a week, get home at 12 at night and sit in bed playing on my laptop until 5 in the morning. The only time I feel alive is when I go to the gym and even then my urge to go there recently has been very low. I feel like going out drinking with friends only sets back my goal of losing more weight and getting down to a target weight (I dont even know what that is). I am just unhappy all the time. :/

Sounds like a fitness related hobby would do the trick. You want to lose weight (it seems) so cardio is your bag (though 90% will come from diet).

Cycling is the answer, but I would say that because I'm a cyclist. You'll either love it or you'll hate it, so at least you'll know one way or the other.

I can see the Arsenal game being a high scoring encounter. They are our first real test since Athletico Bilbao and I just hope we don't get embarrassed again.

Wes

venison crêpe
looks like agbonlahor had a good game

You have no idea how long we've been waiting for him to come good again. He bulked up under Houllier and lost his pace, was played out of position by McLeish, hopefully Lambert can bring back his excellence which was all about scaring the wits out of defenders by running past them.

FootballFan

I can see the Arsenal game being a high scoring encounter. They are our first real test since Athletico Bilbao and I just hope we don't get embarrassed again.

Atletico Madrid. Unless I missed something lol. That game should be good, I think Arsenal will win. Well I want them to.

K1LLER7

Atletico "Falcao" Madrid??

edit: yeah, Iget mixed up too lol.

Chelsea home or away? Arsenal have been playing well so I think they'll get something out of the game.

jtb

Banned
Glad it's at the Emirates. Loss wouldn't be disastrous, draw would be good, win would be magnificent.

Should be a good, open match. Wouldn't be surprised with a score draw; both sides with lots of midfield firepower but Torres is still a bit shit, and we don't have a set striker yet. Probably nothing as hilarious as last season's 3-5. We really shouldn't lose the game... but we'll see.

Should be a good, open match. Wouldn't be surprised with a score draw; both sides with lots of midfield firepower but Torres is still a bit shit, and we don't have a set striker yet. Probably nothing as hilarious as last season's 3-5. We really shouldn't lose the game... but we'll see.

Still isn't funny :( That Mata goal was amazing and I thought we were going to win :'(

I can see it being 3-2 to either team.

Lightning

Banned
If we can control the midfield then we should be able to prevent conceeding 3 goals especially with how our defenders are playing. Our problem is going to be putting the ball in the back of the net ourselves as Gervinho is not the answer and never was. I still think Giroud should be playing up front, not Gervinho.

I'm convinced that if we still had RVP we would have beaten City last weekend. Fuck Gervinho for that.

K1LLER7

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm convinced that if you had RVP you'd be genuine title challengers alongside City and United.

I agree. Didn't think the defence would have improved so much although its still only the start of the season.

United really need to get that shite midfield sorted. Want us to play Anderson or Cleverly against Spurs. Prefer Ando seen as he'll be more physical.

jtb

Banned
If we can control the midfield then we should be able to prevent conceeding 3 goals especially with how our defenders are playing. Our problem is going to be putting the ball in the back of the net ourselves as Gervinho is not the answer and never was. I still think Giroud should be playing up front, not Gervinho.

I'm convinced that if we still had RVP we would have beaten City last weekend. Fuck Gervinho for that.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm convinced that if you had RVP you'd be genuine title challengers alongside City and United.

Disagree (re:RVP). Gervinho's probably not the answer since he's always been a shit finisher, but RVP's departure has really liberated us to have more attacking options. Last season was Henry-syndrome all over again; last season our team was so devoid of ideas so chances basically came down to passing the ball to RVP and hoping for the best (a bit like United's current strategy—though that has more to do with the complete lack of a midfield than anything). Now everyone's making great runs, everyone's taking shots from good positions, etc. We just need Giroud to start scoring and we'll be more effective than a team with RVP. Maybe that wouldn't have happened with the addition of Cazorla, but it's not just Cazorla that's been injecting creativity into the midfield—but there's no way to know for certain.

I'd like Podolski to play up front against Chelsea since they'll probably play pretty high up the pitch and he's by far our most clinical player so far, even from the left. I know people said he's shit on the wing for the German national team, but he's really impressed me with his defensive duties so we'd be giving that up. But the need to score goals is more important than that kind of cover I guess (and other players can provide cover there anyways). Maybe Ramsey on the left? He was fantastic against City.

Lightning

Banned
True, but if I hear the phrase 'Steve Bould effect' one more time I'm going to go do kickups on a main road.
What's wrong with the "Steve Bould effect"?

Disagree (re:RVP). Gervinho's probably not the answer since he's always been a shit finisher, but RVP's departure has really liberated us to have more attacking options. Last season was Henry-syndrome all over again; last season our team was so devoid of ideas so chances basically came down to passing the ball to RVP and hoping for the best (a bit like United's current strategy—though that has more to do with the complete lack of a midfield than anything). Now everyone's making great runs, everyone's taking shots from good positions, etc. We just need Giroud to start scoring and we'll be more effective than a team with RVP. Maybe that wouldn't have happened with the addition of Cazorla, but it's not just Cazorla that's been injecting creativity into the midfield—but there's no way to know for certain.

I'd like Podolski to play up front against Chelsea since they'll probably play pretty high up the pitch and he's by far our most clinical player so far, even from the left. I know people said he's shit on the wing for the German national team, but he's really impressed me with his defensive duties so we'd be giving that up. But the need to score goals is more important than that kind of cover I guess (and other players can provide cover there anyways). Maybe Ramsey on the left? He was fantastic against City.
I understand what you're saying and to a certain extent agree. I just think the lack of a potent goal scorer is what stops us from being complete and a goal keeper since thats dodgy as well.

pulga

Banned
Ugh, I think I bombed my italian exam. Probably not getting more than a 70% :( Had no idea I had the exam until 2 hours before.

Salazar

Tom Cleverley has his sights firmly set on scoring his first goal for Manchester United - on Wednesday night.

The young midfielder, who has established himself with England under new manager Roy Hodgson, has yet to find the back of the net in 18 appearances for United.

Cleverley also left Three Lions fans shaking their heads earlier this month by missing a hat-trick of excellent chances in the draw with Ukraine.

The 23-year-old, set to start against Newcastle in the Capital One Cup tie at Old Trafford on Wednesday, is keen to end his barren run.

"I know I've got a few goals in me," he said. "Things have been going really well, but I just want them to get even better.

Do it against Spurs you div. Fuck the cup.

GorillaJu

Welcome back.

Your last post was on 9-4, so you were banned for 20 days.

Word. Not too bad.

By the way guys, "bukkake" means "splash." It's a common term in Japanese, especially in reference to food (especially tenpura) and 99% of people here don't know of the soupy white connotations with the word. But it never ceases to crack my American friends up when they visit and I candidly ask my gf "Hey Miki you like bukkake, right?" and she says "Yes, of course! Every Japanese loves bukkake!"

Hieberrr

Man, FIFA online season players are dirty. THis is my first match online and I knew he was gonna play like a cheap ass. Free kick to tie the game is cleared and about to land in front of my player, but this guy pauses the game to throw me off. And he doesn't play any defence
KuGsj.gif

Fry

Man, FIFA online season players are dirty. THis is my first match online and I knew he was gonna play like a cheap ass. Free kick to tie the game is cleared and about to land in front of my player, but this guy pauses the game to throw me off. And he doesn't play any defence
KuGsj.gif

Fifa 13?

Did you think the pace of the game was too fast, or normal?

I've read some complaints about the game being too fast on online mode, which got me concerned, because it sucks and I only play the online mode.

Hieberrr

Fifa 13?

Did you think the pace of the game was too fast, or normal?

I've read some complaints about the game being too fast on online mode, which got me concerned, because it sucks and I only play the online mode.

It's not so bad online. I feel like it's a a tad quicker online (really, if you miss a tackle you get burnt pretty badly), but then again you're playing against people who do some weird stuff while they play. Overall nothing to really worry about.

I'm going to give online season another try. If it sucks again, I'll just play against gaffers or something. Finding someone that doesn't play with a 4-5 star team is hard (I'm using an MLS team right now LOL)

GorillaJu

Hey, odd_morsel is back! Teach me how to Korean back dash in Tekken please.

Lol I'm terrible at Tekken these days, homie. I went to the arcade last week and a group of middle school girls were playing TTT2. Thought I'd stick around, murder the poor little ladies, and finally get some wins under my belt. I got fucked so hard I still cry myself to sleep at night thinking about it.

What is a Korean back dash?

Kate episodes are so shit. Its like the writers have the island storyline, and if they think its below par, they say 'we might as well make this a Kate one if its not very good anyway. Get all the shit out of the way in one episode.'

Really annoying as she partially ruins the two best characters

Kate episodes are so shit. Its like the writers have the island storyline, and if they think its below par, they say 'we might as well make this a Kate one if its not very good anyway. Get all the shit out of the way in one episode.'

But dude, that scene where she baths in her underwear, mmmm.

Fry

It's not so bad online. I feel like it's a a tad quicker online (really, if you miss a tackle you get burnt pretty badly), but then again you're playing against people who do some weird stuff while they play. Overall nothing to really worry about.

I'm going to give online season another try. If it sucks again, I'll just play against gaffers or something. Finding someone that doesn't play with a 4-5 star team is hard (I'm using an MLS team right now LOL)

Hmm, ok, thanks. Can't wait to get this game!!

Did you feel that Allianz Arena (daylight) has bad lightning, compared to the other stadiums on daylight?

It was like this on Fifa 12. Man, even the gameplay got worst. I only played at night with Bayern. Hope they fixed this.

Are you watching Eggtown? (S04E04) I particularly enjoyed this episode quite a lot.

Sloosha

Lol I'm terrible at Tekken these days, homie. I went to the arcade last week and a group of middle school girls were playing TTT2. Thought I'd stick around, murder the poor little ladies, and finally get some wins under my belt. I got fucked so hard I still cry myself to sleep at night thinking about it.

What is a Korean back dash?

Cancelling your back dash with db to make it quicker and safer to retreat. I can only do it on the 1P side. Who do you use in TTT2 btw?

GorillaJu

Oh. Actually I can do that, Sloosha. Just comes naturally with time, I suppose. I use Leo, and I have no idea who a good partner is for her. I'm not really partial to anyone. Dragonuv is cool I guess. Always liked Jin, who was my main in T5 DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom