• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Clegg

An article about Uniteds new formation and the possibility of a future without wingers

Manchester United's rough diamond beguiles Sir Alex Ferguson

Some quotes:

Players like Shinji Kagawa and Tom Cleverley can play very well in the type of matches the diamond offers.
Agreed.

On Kagawa
Of the Japanese Ferguson said: The initial reason for taking him was his ability to play behind the strikers. In the last couple of games he has played middle to right – not a problem for him because he still has the ability to create.
Don't agree with this though. He's wasted on the right hand side of a diamond formation. He's best up front or behind a striker but Rooney is playing too well to be dropped atm.

Wilbur

Banned
An article about Uniteds new formation and the possibility of a future without wingers

Some quotes:

Agreed.

On Kagawa

Don't agree with this though. He's wasted on the right hand side of a diamond formation. He's best up front or behind a striker but Rooney is playing too well to be dropped atm.

It's great to hear that he's interested in the diamond and is looking to utilise Kagawa though. A fluid front three would be great for me, with Rooney, Shinji and RVP all switching at will. When we had Ronaldo and Tevez doing that it was the best we've played for fucking years.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The reason I don't wanna be your boyfriend, is cause I want to be your husband :'(

Like dis if u cry evertim.

MpWby.gif

that gif is great. hopefully I can bust it out next clasico

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Salt has nothing to do with it. I just like creating hype for when we eventually do our UT match :D

cool. I dont work tomorrow so maybe we can sneak in a match or 2 after the champions league game.

We're going to draw with Celtic I can feel it

2-2 probably

FF why did Messi name his kid Thiago?

I should edit posts but damn that is a lot of work and my wall of shame numbers are well shameful

Clegg

14:12 Sir Alex has just been asked about Porto attacker James Rodriguez and United's potential interest in him. The boss joked: "As far as James Rodriguez is concerned, I hope it's not true because it costs a fortune to get a player from Porto!"
SAF says Rodriguez is too expensive. But Frogie lies about everything.

Welcome to Manchester United, James.

Some quotes:

Agreed.

On Kagawa

Certainly going to be interesting. I've liked the diamond this season, we've played our best football using it and the passing in that formation is much smoother. My main concern would be on the defensive side of things, teams will find alot of space on the wings and their full-backs will be able to get forward, esp with our wingers not pushing them back. Kagawa and Cleverley are both quit weak defensively. If teams can get into the final third and get crosses in, we'll be in trouble because we're shit at dealing with crosses. De Gea is prone and our entire backline doesn't seem to be able to time a jump or communicate.

Anyhow, I'd like to see more of the diamond. It would be a shame to be without the wingers though. As tiresome and tactically troublesome as it can be, wing play is just what you identify with United. Nothing quite like watching us kill teams with pace and width at Old Trafford.

I agree with this very much:

Clearer are Ferguson's current thoughts on Rafael da Silva, the first-choice right-back. "He was our best player Saturday. He is maturing, learning all the time," Ferguson said. "He is blessed with great enthusiasm, skill, speed. Maturity brings that together and bit by bit he has done that over the last two years. He was quite impulsive, committing himself, but he has been fantastic.

Rafael has been our best player so far, RVP aside.

K1LLER7

We'd have to drop Valencia if Fergie still wants to play Kagawa on the right.

I'd say push Rooney into strike with RVP, play Kagawa behind them and have the width of Valencia on the right in midfield.

Welbeck should be dropped IMO.

-----------------

Anyone up for some PASBR?

We'd have to drop Valencia if Fergie still wants to play Kagawa on the right.

I'd say push Rooney into strike with RVP, play Kagawa behind them and have the width of Valencia on the right in midfield.
Valencia actually plays in a more central role for Ecuador if I remember correctly. He is a tank so I can see him cleaning some people out :lol

But yeah I agree, however Welbeck is an automatic starter for Frogson.

Nani won't be going anywhere unless he cuts his wage demands.
He doesn't have crazy wage demands.

Pretty sure he just did and said whatever he had to to make sure he wasn't forced into moving to Zenit or wherever it was.

And in fairness I would want a shitload of money to go play in Russia too.

Wilbur

Banned
Certainly going to be interesting. I've liked the diamond this season, we've played our best football using it and the passing in that formation is much smoother. My main concern would be on the defensive side of things, teams will find alot of space on the wings and their full-backs will be able to get forward, esp with our wingers not pushing them back. Kagawa and Cleverley are both quit weak defensively. If teams can get into the final third and get crosses in, we'll be in trouble because we're shit at dealing with crosses. De Gea is prone and our entire backline doesn't seem to be able to time a jump or communicate.

Anyhow, I'd like to see more of the diamond. It would be a shame to be without the wingers though. As tiresome and tactically troublesome as it can be, wing play is just what you identify with United. Nothing quite like watching us kill teams with pace and width at Old Trafford.

Agreed on this. With a full strength squad, I'd like to see variations of this as our first team:

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Vidic - Buttner
Fletcher - Carrick - Cleverley/Anderson
Kagawa
van Persie - Rooney

Ferdinand and Evra will start but I'd like to see the former especially starting to get phased out. The way Kightly shrugged him off (and Carrick to be fair, but Carrick does his job better right now) was utterly disappointing. For 4-2-3-1, replace one of Clev/Ando with Valencia/Nani and use Scholes in the last half hour of games.

If Fletcher and Clev/Ando (Anderson would be better at this but I prefer Cleverley) can at least help out with the flanks - and I have complete faith Fletcher can due to his shifts at right back - , then the fact Rafael (agreed as well, he's been our best player this season, delighted) gets forward a lot isn't a problem for me. He's improving in defence all the time and has the speed to get back. Evra is lost in no man's land the majority of the time so I'd be worried if Clev was on that side. Rooney will always do a job tracking back, but the worry is that he'll encroach too much on Shinji, so I think the two of them need to shift positions and support RVP depending on what's necessary. If Rooney technically played in the hole and Kagawa drifted behind RVP when we want a stronger body in midfield, that's fine by me.

Agreed to an extent on the width, but Valencia and Nani especially haven't looked as good as they can be so far, and its just not working when we're looking for quality.

Clegg

I thought the story with Nani was that Uniteds coaches feel that he's reached his potential and won't get better.

Apparently the story goes that he doesn't listen to the instructions of the coaches and he lets his good performances go to his head. And this makes him cocky and then he proceeds to play shite the next game.

kharma45

Agreed on this. With a full strength squad, I'd like to see variations of this as our first team:

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Vidic - Buttner
Fletcher - Carrick - Cleverley/Anderson
Kagawa
van Persie - Rooney

Ferdinand and Evra will start but I'd like to see the former especially starting to get phased out. The way Kightly shrugged him off (and Carrick to be fair, but Carrick does his job better right now) was utterly disappointing. For 4-2-3-1, replace one of Clev/Ando with Valencia/Nani and use Scholes in the last half hour of games.

If Fletcher and Clev/Ando (Anderson would be better at this but I prefer Cleverley) can at least help out with the flanks - and I have complete faith Fletcher can due to his shifts at right back - , then the fact Rafael (agreed as well, he's been our best player this season, delighted) gets forward a lot isn't a problem for me. He's improving in defence all the time and has the speed to get back. Evra is lost in no man's land the majority of the time so I'd be worried if Clev was on that side. Rooney will always do a job tracking back, but the worry is that he'll encroach too much on Shinji, so I think the two of them need to shift positions and support RVP depending on what's necessary. If Rooney technically played in the hole and Kagawa drifted behind RVP when we want a stronger body in midfield, that's fine by me.

Agreed to an extent on the width, but Valencia and Nani especially haven't looked as good as they can be so far, and its just not working when we're looking for quality.

I'd drop Carrick from that line-up, he's been weak this year. Fletcher, Ando and Clev would be good imo.

Wilbur

Banned
I thought the story with Nani was that Uniteds coaches feel that he's reached his potential and won't get better.

Apparently the story goes that he doesn't listen to the instructions of the coaches and he lets his good performances go to his head. And this makes him cocky and then he proceeds to play shite the next game.

I agree. Ronaldo had stepped it up by now. I say we sell him, forget about James for a while and go for Gundogan. As good as James is, we're set in attack.

dc89

:lol @ Nintendo super fan Triforce. He's going to start the line one month before launch for Wii U outside the Nintendo World Store in NYC.

He is crazy.

Clegg

I agree. Ronaldo had stepped it up by now. I say we sell him, forget about James for a while and go for Gundogan. As good as James is, we're set in attack.

Agreed re:Gundogan or any decent, young CM.

But SAF still has his thing for wingers. Remember, he went for Hazard and Lucas during the summer. I'd still like to see James at United though.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd drop Carrick from that line-up, he's been weak this year. Fletcher, Ando and Clev would be good imo.

He hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was last year, but he offers something different. Next to Fletcher I think he'd work perfectly, but without someone to hassle opponents he's forced to do that job a little. If Anderson can actually prove to play effectively for more than 45 minutes I'd be delighted.

Carrick/Scholes - Anderson/Fletcher (depending on fitness - Cleverley would probably be my starting line up, come to think of it. As much as we're tongue in cheek about Tomgod, he's effective enough for us and links up well with Rooney and Shinji.

That is the precursor the story about Nani saying no to Zenit cos United wanted him gone.

I am keeping faith in Nani for now. He's here for this season at least. Let's see how he goes. Moving and adapting to a new system means we don't have to rely on him as much.

Carrick has been pretty crap this season but I just feel sorry for the guy. I mean we all know he isn't exactly a midfield enforcer. Then we play 2 in the middle and usually play sides who put 3 in there. Then he's playing alongside Scholes who may aswell not be there on the defensive side of things. The defenders behind him are shit.

It's just a real tough job he has :lol

Wilbur

Banned
AA, swap Nani for BANNAN

Agreed re:Gundogan or any decent, young CM.

But SAF still has his thing for wingers. Remember, he went for Hazard and Lucas during the summer. I'd still like to see James at United though.

Given the choice between James and a good CM, I'd have to go for the CM. Young, Nani, Valencia, Shinji, RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Henriquez to fill 3, maybe 4 spots regularly. Two of them are automatic picks already.

Only way I see it happening is if Hernandez and Nani leave.

Clegg

AA, swap Nani for BANNAN

Given the choice between James and a good CM, I'd have to go for the CM. Young, Nani, Valencia, Shinji, RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Henriquez to fill 3, maybe 4 spots regularly. Two of them are automatic picks already.

Only way I see it happening is if Hernandez and Nani leave.

I'd rather have a young, talented CM. But I think SAF would always choose to buy the talented winger over the talented CM.

kharma45

That is the precursor the story about Nani saying no to Zenit cos United wanted him gone.

I am keeping faith in Nani for now. He's here for this season at least. Let's see how he goes. Moving and adapting to a new system means we don't have to rely on him as much.

Carrick has been pretty crap this season but I just feel sorry for the guy. I mean we all know he isn't exactly a midfield enforcer. Then we play 2 in the middle and usually play sides who put 3 in there. Then he's playing alongside Scholes who may aswell not be there on the defensive side of things. The defenders behind him are shit.

It's just a real tough job he has :lol

His lack of mobility is my big issue with him.

Top Bottom