• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

But 90% of midfielders would look a liability when contrasted with Alonso. Ferguson always talks about why he struggles to find a new centre midfielder, and he's said himself it's partly because there aren't always those players like Carrick available. They go unnoticed, they don't demand glory, but they're crucial.

Barry's of a similar mould, for me, he keeps the game ticking and he doesn't deserve the stick. I don't see JM7 as such a crucial cog, though, especially given the position he plays. That doesn't mean he can't make a positive impact, and it doesn't mean he deserves consistent stick, I just think City can an should be doing a lot better.

There are plenty of players like Carrick and Barry, many of whom are a lot better.

JesusTom

To Arsenal fans, is Frimpong still injured? I thought he looked quality when he played for Arsenal and Wolves. Could really be a Tiote style enforcer for Arsenal.

Tc91

5TClE.jpg

Soccertriads master troll.

Arnie

There are plenty of players like Carrick and Barry, many of whom are a lot better.
That are available and fairly priced? Not sure there are, to be honest. De Rossi could've done a job for City, but that fell through.

I suppose there was Joe Allen, to be fair.

Souness taking ill of zonal marking, do one.

Congrats on the job.
Thanks mate.

You graduate next year right? What you planning on doing with your Economics degree? Mine is getting me nothing :(

That are available and fairly priced? Not sure there are, to be honest. De Rossi could've done a job for City, but that fell through.

I kinda like Souness. Not sure why.

Salvadora

I see. Interesting that Coquelin started instead of him tonight.

And congrats Viva :)
He played with the U21s on Monday so Wenger might be erring on the side of caution. It wouldn't make sense for him to start either with the amount of time hes missed. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future though, I think he has quite a lot of potential.
did you guys read the scorcho thread? fuck. he was posting only a few days ago. this is awful.
I feel really bad, I remember him as a poster.

Clegg

Thanks mate.

You graduate next year right? What you planning on doing with your Economics degree? Mine is getting me nothing :(

I have absolutely no idea yet tbh.

There will be a few jobs fairs at my uni in a couple of months time. I'm going to go to those and see whats open to me.

If I can't find anything then I may apply for a post grad (if my grades are good enough) and stay in uni for an extra year.

elsk

Banned
Apparently the CONCACAF Champions League is also happening right now. Some Costa Rican team knocked out Real Salt Lake who finished as the runner-up two years ago. The other 3 American teams are through the Group Stage. Toronto FC plays Santos Laguna tonight to determine who goes through in that group.

Houston Dynamo vs. Olimpia was very goo yesterday. The rest of the group matches are going to be played tonight. I'll watch Sounders vs. Marathon

SkylineRKR

So why does Mancinis strategy always revolve around playing like a pussy in European games? It wasn't any different when he was at Inter, I think he never made it beyond the third round.

You have a 200 million+ squad, and you can't even dictate a game against a usually rather poor Ajax. You play with one striker and 2 holding midfielders. Well done.

I was surprised Mancini wasn't sacked last year, I guess his lucky championship win kept him on board.

Yes. Let's not forget that Carrick and Barry were once players who offered a lot more than just tactical discipline. Even players that are not defined by that attribute can do that job.

Arnie

Yes. Lets not forget that Carrick and Barry were once players who offered a lot more than just tactical discipline.
You're right, but when they did so they played in teams that required them to over extend. Villa needed everything they could get from Barry, Spurs too, back then. United and City don't ask that from them now because they have such depth in and around the opposition goal.

Meier

against a usually rather poor Ajax

That's a bit harsh. They held Dortmund scoreless for 86 minutes in the match between them. Ronaldo styled on them, but City lacks a player of his quality.. everyone but Barcelona does really.

Mancini has been undeniably poor in Europe in his career though. It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out. Hopefully we can beat Swansea and keep our league record on track.

You're right, but when they did so they played in teams that required them to over extend. Villa needed everything they could get from Barry, Spurs too, back then. United and City don't ask that from them now because they have such depth in and around the opposition goal.

I doubt you'd notice a huge difference if you swapped Barry for someone like Mulumbu. My point being that you shouldn't give Barry credit just because there's no one in the squad that can adequately replace him.

So Liverpool-gaf are you guys expected to rest a bunch of your players tomorrow in order to save them for the clash against Everton on the weekend?

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm hoping it won't be too bad but I just can't be sitting around at home doing nothing so it's something to fill my CV with and a chance to save some money!

Arnie

So Liverpool-gaf are you guys expected to rest a bunch of your players tomorrow in order to save them for the clash against Everton on the weekend?
I'd have hoped so ideally, but it's rumoured that we'll start Gerrard and Suarez. I normally wouldn't be massively bothered about resting Gerrard for a Premier League fixture, but he's usually brilliant against Everton.

Schmelzer > Alaba

lol but seriously

Lewandowski was awesome at Schmelzer's goal, too. He made room for the shot, I think Pepe would have surely touched it without Lewandowski and who knows where that ball would have gone.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Congrats Viva <3 Not too bad for a start, it'll be an interesting experience at the very least.
Hit on as many women as you can

-

I don't understand Gareth Barry. I watch him play, I look at his stats, his face, his name and everything about him is average and generic.

vall03

just woke up and very very surprising results for all games today. Also, fuck Arsenal, we are not winning anything this season again.

I'd have hoped so ideally, but it's rumoured that we'll start Gerrard and Suarez. I normally wouldn't be massively bothered about resting Gerrard for a Premier League fixture, but he's usually brilliant against Everton.

Interesting. Should be a good match then. They're actually showing this game on tv here in Canada. A welcome break from sopcast.

Arnie

I doubt you'd notice a huge difference if you swapped Barry for someone like Mulumbu.
I think Mulumbu's quite underrated, to be fair. The difference is consistency, to me. Rodwell's a serviceable midfielder but he's prone to a mistake or two, and lacks the constant threat of a lethal pass. Can't think of the last time Barry or Carrick had a shocker, at least when the latter isn't playing at centre back.

K1LLER7

Congrats Viva <3 Not too bad for a start, it'll be an interesting experience at the very least.

-

I don't understand Gareth Barry. I watch him play, I look at his stats, his face, his name and everything about him is average and generic.
James "JM7" Milner on the other hand is a star, a man who is a brand, a man who will gain recognition through the platform of Channel 5 and the Europa League. A man who deserves better.

Hit on as many women as you can

-

It's because there are a plenty of players like him in Italy.

Congrats on the job Viva. If anything it will be good for your CV. Make sure you keep job hunting whilst your working though!

I think Mulumbu's quite underrated, to be fair. The difference is consistency, to me. Rodwell's a serviceable midfielder but he's prone to a mistake or two, and lacks the constant threat of a lethal pass. Can't think of the last time Barry or Carrick had a shocker, at least when the latter isn't playing at centre back.

That comes with age or rather experience. I think Rodwell will eventually be able to do his job anyway, and then no one will care about Barry.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think comparing Carrick to Barry is spot on. Both of them are too safe and too sideway-passes for my liking.

Garry Flitcroft to be appointment rovers manager tomorrow

He's currently manager of Chorley who are mid table in the Evostik league

Football is dead

Holy Shit! Our (Farnborough) manager was approached by a team for our manager and he turned it down. He owns our club and they were not paying much :lol There was rumors it was Blackburn but I didn't think it would be true but maybe it was :lol

Top Bottom