• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Lulz you guys dont play football that shot is hard as Fuck
Yeah I thought it was an amazing finish.

Exact power and precision. Looks easy but really hard to do.

I'm sure many other players could score it but still an awesome goal. Better than Ronaldo's I think which just needed a bit of composure.

Lol Köstner, wonder why they didnt choose Jonker. Wasnt he working there? Nerlinger as a manager? Guess they realize their current team sucks and they want to loan Can, Weiser, Weihrauch and Markoutz from Bayern ;)

Bayern B players? Worked for Hertha.

Oh wait, no it didn't :D

FootballFan

Interesting read Juanpablo, good stuff =]

Guys remember when Real Madrid believed that random guy was Nicolas Cage? Hahaha man I fucking love that moment. Guest of honour, got to go into the lockeroom after the game etc.

8i6rK.jpg

FootballFan

Lulz you guys dont play football that shot is hard as Fuck

Where did I say I could score it lol. Top 10 of all time is way over board. Not even top 10 this season. Top 10 in this CL makes more sense.

Eliseu vs Anderlecht, Iniesta vs Celtic, Isco vs Zenit, Chicharitos 2nd goal vs Braga, James vs PSG etc were all just as good if not better.

Miguel Delaney says it's not a matter if but how much, with regards to doping in football.

The world of cycling has dropped a fair few bombshells over the past few weeks. One, however, hasn’t quite had the impact it should have.

In 1999, whistle-blowing cyclist Tyler Hamilton was talking with the US Postal Service doctor Luis Del Moral. The medic, who has received a lifetime sporting ban by the US Anti-doping agency, revealed the following: “you guys take nothing in comparison to footballers”.

Over the last few days, it has been easy – and correct – to scoff at the attitude to doping in cycling. At the top, there was the intransigence of the UCI. Underneath, there was the ignorance of Lance Armstrong’s predecessor, Miguel Indurain. The five-time champion astonishingly claimed, despite all evidence, that Armstrong is innocent.

And, all around, there is justifiable doubt over whether the sport can ever escape a doping epidemic. The Usada report, after all, represented only the latest and largest scandal to afflict cycling. In 2006, it was similarly blown open when Spanish police investigated the doping network of Dr Eufemiano Fuentes in the infamous Operation Puerto.

It is that very incident, however, which indicates why those in other sports shouldn’t scoff too much. The only reason that Operation Puerto was such a scandal for cycling alone was because riders were the only alleged clients of Fuentes that were named. They amounted to 34 – a fraction of the 200 athletes said to be seeing the doctor. Indeed, Fuentes himself was so indignant that only cycling was tarnished that he announced he also worked with tennis and football players.

The question, then, is perhaps not even whether there is doping in football. It might be whether the scandal that has so ravaged cycling has actually always involved other sports; that cycling was only one strand.

Take the very point in the mid-90s when EPO started to take hold of the Tour de France. At around the same time, Roma manager Zdenek Zeman cast doubt about the physical development of the imposing Juventus team then dominating European football.

It sparked an investigation which ended with the Juventus doctor being found guilty of administering illegal substances to players, including EPO. There followed a series of legal wrangles and appeals until, eventually, the Cassation court came to a final decision in March 2007. In a controversial compromise, the original guilty sentences were upheld but the statutes of limitation meant, in practice, everyone walked free.

In short, the kind of systematic doping so typical of cycling was essentially proven but nothing was done about it. Despite the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, Dick Pound, calling for Juventus to be stripped of their titles, it never happened.

As has been often said about cycling, though, they weren’t the only ones at it. Only last month, Argentine international Matias Almedya alleged doping at Parma as questions again rose about a ‘culture’ in Italian football.

Of course, the reason cycling has had its history and records rewritten so dramatically is because of whistleblowers that could/would go further than Almeyda. Football has yet to see that.

But, under the overall silence, some worrying stories have started to swirl and spread. For the moment, without strong testimony, they remain as libellous as those which Armstrong sued over in the last decade.

One of the worst of them, though, regards an international squad conducting routine tests before a competition. Two of the results, however, were anything but routine. The only problem was that neither were the players involved. They were essential to the team and, as a result, the positive tests were covered up.

Then there is the case of the internationally-capped player who wanted to speak out about the doping programme at one club. He was subsequently bought off with a greatly improved contract.

Given the lack of official positive tests, this may all sound incredible. But, when you consider the fact the risk is so low and the rewards so high, it is actually somewhat inevitable.

First of all, even though testing remains up to a decade behind the dopers, Fifa has been slow to get serious about it. In 2006, they became the last Olympic sport to ratify the World Anti-Doping Agency code and have even contested the idea that individual players should be tested out of competition.

Secondly, there are the rewards. Look at the sheer money involved. And, although sports like football aren’t measured or decided by physical performance in the manner of cycling, the advantages of doping are obvious: increased recovery time for injury; superior stamina; the capacity to keep applying your existing ability at the most exacting stages of games.

If the stories are to be believed, though, football may face a few exacting years ahead. Doping in the sport exists. At the moment, the will to truly confront it does not.

I'm inclined to agree. The doctor involved with Armstrong has also been linked to Barcelona for example. Not saying Barca players are doping, just that the people involved do overlap into other sports and football is one of them. And football's anti-doping testing is pretty flimsy.

Where did I say I could score it lol. Top 10 of all time is way over board. Not even top 10 this season. Top 10 in this CL makes more sense.

Eliseu vs Anderlecht, Iniesta vs Celtic, Isco vs Zenit, Chicharitos 2nd goal vs Braga, James vs PSG etc were all just as good if not better.

Oscar vs Juve.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Miguel Delaney says it's not a matter if but how much, with regards to doping in football.

I'm inclined to agree. The doctor involved with Armstrong has also been linked to Barcelona for example. Not saying Barca players are doping, just that the people involved do overlap into other sports and football is one of them. And football's anti-doping testing is pretty flimsy.
We were cleared in court. Our [medical term] came out even less than the average in serie a/football. Unless everyone was doping, and we were doping 'less'.

I'm sure there's doping everywhere, even the PL (Rio), but it's generally swept under (Toure?)

Terrible outdated article.

FootballFan

My top goals so far would be probably these:

Oscar vs Juve, Iniesta vs Celtic and these :

untitled-9ubu55.gif

untitled-6wsq04.gif

Lol for Eliseus goal it looks like the keeper pooped his pants and cant walk properly.

http://greenscene.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/leagueofirelandlogo300.jpg[/ IMG]

So its been 8 months already [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35649086&highlight=#post35649086"]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35649086&highlight=#post35649086[/URL]

The League of Ireland come's to an end for another season tomorrow night. And what a year its been! clubs disappearing, divisions potentially disappearing, the season being split into 2 due to Euro 2012 and many, many nights of frustration for myself following my beloved Cork City FC. Thankfully their predictability in grinding out numerous draws made me a nice sum of money over the course of the season.

There can be no doubt who the star team was though, these are the champions Sligo Rovers, they play some lovely football, and boast a Cameroonian legend, a Haitian and a Spanish lad, Tiki Taka indeed! I say fairplay to them as Sligo is a small town yet these guys have great support. Most importantly, they are not horrible Dubs like previous champions of years gone by like Shamrock Rovers, or indeed Dirty Bohemians or scum-tastic smalltime Shelbourne, instead they are a very likeable team and supporters from Ireland's rural northwest. Watch how they won it:

[IMG]http://www.sligotriathlon.ie/sites/default/files/images/sligo-rovers-fc.jpg[/ IMG]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=why_g7k1COQ[/url]

On the otherhand, This is (was) Monaghan United, the losers, who decided to quit the LoI a couple of months into the season which really fucked up the fixture list and gives the league table an odd look, Thanks Roddy Collins ya plonker!

[IMG]http://irishnewsreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mon.jpg?w=510[/ IMG]

And this team is the future, they've won promotion from the First Division, and are backed by one of Irelands wealthiest men. Those of us who support Supporters Trust owned clubs live in fear of their potential spending power! It'll probably go tits up for them eventually though as tends to be the style for big-spending club teams in Ireland.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/Limerick_FC_logo.png[/ IMG]

All in all its been a decent season. My team have re-established themselves back in the big time after 2 years in the Graveyard (Irish First Division) and if they win tomorrow night and secure a top 5 finish then we're laughing. And as a CCFC supporter, with one and possibly both of our provincial rivals being back in the top flight next year - Limerick and Waterford Utd - there's going to be some more epic nights 'down the cross' next season when they visit. I can't wait![/QUOTE]

What a fun post! Sounds like it was an exciting season for you!

Bad move United. Ban move, and way to piss off your loyal supporters.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...-derby-clash-to-potential-corporate-customers

Basically the club emailed possible corporate customers and if they made a purchase of posh seats or boxes starting at £1500+ they were given tickets to the derby at The Etihad.

Considering United get an allocation of around 2500 that's a dick move to make.
Quelle surprise, #glazernomics

Somehow I doubt the people in the posh seats would fancy derby day in the away end :p

juanpablo

Banned
Interesting read Juanpablo, good stuff =]

[/IMG]

Cheers FootballFan, the LoI is an obscure enough subject, however the league picked up some new German fans a few weekends ago as lots of Deutschland supporters staying in Dublin for the weekend caught some games on the Saturday night after the Ireland game.

Once the season is over I'll be averting my gaze towards the English Premier League and the trials and tribulations of Aston Villa. Will be off to see 'em play Stoke in December, happy days!

Clegg

Twas a good season alright, shame most Irish 'football fans' don't give a toss about their own league...

Irish football is failing and has been in a terrible state for years.

Nobody cares about football in Ireland because our own football association don't care about it. No effort is made to market these teams and TV coverage is minimal.

This is from a gem of an interview Sir Alex had with GQ in 2008: “A few months after I first came here in November 1986, Bobby Charlton and I travelled to Barcelona to try to get Mark Hughes back. We walked around the stadium in the morning. We visited their basketball place and their amazing training facilities. Charlton turned to me and said: ‘You know – this is where we should be. We should be at this level, but we aren’t – and it’s crazy, when you look through the past 40 years of our history – back to the Busby Babes and all of those great teams.’ Then he said: ‘Let’s think about achieving that. Let’s think about being like Barcelona.’”

So that's why we want Pep!

juanpablo

Banned
Irish football is failing and has been in a terrible state for years.

Nobody cares about football in Ireland because our own football association don't care about it. No effort is made to market these teams and TV coverage is minimal.

No it's not. Those are just excuses used by people who would much rather sit on their arse watching Man Utd or Liverpool on the TV.

Most Irish 'football fans' aren't fans at all, at least not in the sense most Gaffers would know it as. Football culture all over the world is about going to games and supporting your local team. In Ireland it's follow an English team through a TV or barstool and ignore at all costs the local league.

Btw, TV coverage of the LoI has never been as good as it has been this season, you watched many games Clegg?

Bound to be plenty more people playing proper football or hurling too.

In terms of numbers playing, Football is more popular then the Gaelic sports combined.

ShogunX

I can't get over that Lewandoski goal. Seriously its top 10 all time

Just watched the video and honestly expected a lot better. Any top striker would be expected to put that chance away - obviously not in the fashion Lewandoski managed but as good as the finish is I'm not even sure I would put it in the top 1,000 goals of all time never mind top 10.

Clegg

No it's not. Those are just excuses used by people who would much rather sit on their arse watching Man Utd or Liverpool on the TV.

Most Irish 'football fans' aren't fans at all, at least not in the sense most Gaffers would know it as. Football culture all over the world is about going to games and supporting your local team. In Ireland it's follow an English team through a TV or barstool and ignore at all costs the local league.

Btw, TV coverage of the LoI has never been as good as it has been this season, you watched many games Clegg?

No, I don't watch League of Ireland football anymore. The league is ignored because it isn't marketed. The FAI don't care about it. If they did they'd put more effort in developing the game at grassroots level and investing in facilities.

Most Irish people watch the Premier League because it's more enjoyable than going to a delapidated stadium to watch sub standard football.

And TV coverage for Irish football is a joke. A couple of matches a week if you're lucky and a highlights show on a Monday night.

I do support my local team. They're called Leinster and I go to as many matches as I can. So do many more people as the games are actually advertised.

Messi

In terms of numbers playing, Football is more popular then the Gaelic sports combined.

You should prob step off your high horse.

Nilaul

Some people will always create excuses for not supporting their local league. You can't do anything about it juanpablo.

I'm not supporting the Greek league, for the shit hole it is, corruption around every corner. Even with leaked tapes and everything, the football organization refuses to sanction the right clubs or at least punish the referees.

I also refuse to go to Panathinaikos matches when I'm in Greece because of the new owner and him playing dumb dumb and ignoring offers for the club; and purposely blocking the sale of the club; so that the oldies can feel secure about their wages while they do nothing to help the club.

Kyoufu

It's depressing that we can't score more than 2-3 goals in a PL game. When we had Nolan and Carroll we were thumping some teams by up to 6 goals. Not sure what happened.

faridmon

IN Norway, while the Norwegian football is terrible, and yet EPL is still popular, a fair amount of supporters do go to the games and happen to support their local teams.

Top Bottom