• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

It's true.

Maybe CL qualification isn't as highly regarded for you since you've been in it for a long time but to the rest of us, we'd freak the hell out if we qualified.

Honestly, and I might get dogpiled by Arnie, Yenrot, PJX and the rest, I'd rather come fourth than win the FA Cup. I took it or granted when we were in it, and its painful being out of it and looking already like having to wait another year to make a tilt at it, a year in which we're again risking our CL-worthy players going elsewhere.

operon

Nah not really. Yeah the provinces were representative sides which played the odd game here or there. But it's only when the IRFU clicked that club teams were too weak to compete that they directed all the money and turned the provinces, hitherto representative teams, into frankenstein club teams. It's not something I'd like to see replicated for Irish club football and I can definitely understand the frustration of English and French rugby clubs having to compete with these bizarre entities.

Considering the money and the talent pool that England and France can draw from that's a joke.

jtb

Banned

The league cup wasn't a "trophy" either until Wenger started playing more strengthened sides. It's ridiculous. I'm not even that concerned that we haven't won a trophy in ages; but why the hell haven't we legitimately competed for the title in four, five years? That's the bigger issue.

operon

Honestly, and I might get dogpiled by Arnie, Yenrot, PJX and the rest, I'd rather come fourth than win the FA Cup. I took it or granted when we were in it, and its painful being out of it and looking already like having to wait another year to make a tilt at it, a year in which we're again risking our CL-worthy players going elsewhere.

I'd rather come 4th than win the FA cup, but I wouldn't call it a trophy. It should definitely be our main target

Salvadora

John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror
PHW said: "thanks for your support and your interest in our affairs." That sentence shows why PHW must go ASAP. Out of touch, disrespectful
#afc PHW said: 'I think we've had enough questions, if you don't mind. Otherwise we'll be here all day.' Jeez.
PHW clearly think #afc is his private members' club and the fans are an unnecessary inconvenience. Shocking. #afc AGM over
What a cunt.

Yen

Nah I agree. European nights at Anfield are so much better than cup runs, plus all the extra monies you get, and of course your club has more prestige whn it comes to signing players.

As for Northern Irish football:
1) the closest team from myself is 40 miles away, if you aren't from Antrim, you aren't represented.
2) sectarianism

edit:
3) grenades at matches

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Nah not really. Yeah the provinces were representative sides which played the odd game here or there. But it's only when the IRFU clicked that club teams were too weak to compete that they directed all the money and turned the provinces, hitherto representative teams, into frankenstein club teams. It's not something I'd like to see replicated for Irish club football and I can definitely understand the frustration of English and French rugby clubs having to compete with these bizarre entities.
That transformation is true, but its not as if those English & French clubs are limited to a 5 mile radius catchment area or something.

Just because IRFU thought of a practical way of advancing their domestic game (as well as adding to the prestige of European Cup rugby as a whole) doesn't make them frankenstein entities.

operon

Nah I agree. European nights at Anfield are so much better than cup runs, plus all the extra monies you get, and of course your club has more prestige whn it comes to signing players.

1) the closest team from myself is 40 miles away, if you aren't from Antrim, you aren't represented.
2)sectarianism

Can't say that I want to drag myself from Antrim to Ballymena to watch them play and of course answer number 2

kharma45

2)sectarianism

There's a few teams around the Co. Londonderry for me area like Institute, Limavady United and Coleraine (with Derry City and Institute being my local teams) but your second point is another reason why I'd not go near any of our club football.

Only God knows if I'm staying at Manchester United, says Portugal winger Nani

Ronaldo said something very similar a few weeks before moving to Madrid.

Looks like Nani might be on the way out. I only hope that we find a suitable replacement for him.

Be kind oh Lord, remove thy cretin from thine sight.

Salazar

Is it a moral obligation? Why waste valuable hours of your life watching something clearly not as enjoyable?

My local club was initiated as an ego-stroking project by a bloated right-wing mining tycoon.

Fucked if I was going to give them anything. They've now folded (after their licence was withdrawn by the league) and good fucking riddance.

Clegg

:lol

"I don't promise nothing to no one. Only God's knows" - I remember it well.

Nani has looked like a player who doesn't look interested this season. And I don't entirely blame him after we tried to flog him.

Do you think we should go after another winger if Nani leaves?

Or should we focus on other areas like our midfield and defence? I'd like to see us finally get a top quality CM but I can see SAF going after a more attacking player like James or Isco.

Götze and Bender both might miss the Bundesliga match against Freiburg this weekend.

Goddamn, Bundesliga lol

At least Gündogan can play again, right?

Salvadora

Q5tSr.jpg

Leaflets outside the AMG.

juanpablo

Banned
That transformation is true, but its not as if those English & French clubs are limited to a 5 mile radius catchment area or something.

Just because IRFU thought of a practical way of advancing their domestic game (as well as adding to the prestige of European Cup rugby as a whole) doesn't make them frankenstein entities.

I think it does make then frankenstein entities. Remember there's a whole league of Irish club rugby teams as old as Irish football club teams or the GAA itself which are now just completely ignored in favour of these provincial entities.

Clegg has previously suggested he'd like to see something similar to the IRFU for Irish football, that is something I'd take up arms up against if ever mooted.

Kyoufu

Not even close to the hysteria we'd experience if we won a cup.

For us it's a little different because we haven't won a trophy in 9000 years. Though I'd still rather get top 4 than win a mickey mouse league cup.

CL qualification is much more rewarding than winning the Capital One Cup.

Arnie

It's sad, but I have to agree. It isn't just a cliche to say that money's changed football, it's not just about winning silverware. That doesn't make the trips to Wembley and the cup last season any less of a buzz, but there's also a buzz about getting into the Champions League, and I'd rather get that than win another domestic cup that's ultimately quite shallow. The ramifications of getting into the Champions League are massive for the long term health of your club, as well as the players you're likely to see wearing the shirt.

If I pay upwards of £500 to watch football at Anfield then I'd rather see Lewandowski than Bent, and for that to happen you need the Champions League.

juanpablo

Banned
There's a few teams around the Co. Londonderry for me area like Institute, Limavady United and Coleraine (with Derry City and Institute being my local teams) but your second point is another reason why I'd not go near any of our club football.

Is there much cross-community support for Derry City? I presume there isn't for historical reasons but a friend of mine who went up there says there is?

Clegg

There has certainly been a massive devaluing of the FA and League Cups over the last ten years. Champions League qualification is seen as the holy grail and managers would field weakened sides if it meant they were better prepared for league games.

As Arnie said, there is a special buzz around your team if you get into the latter stages of a cup competition ,but, ultimately there is a greater reward for CL qualification than cup success.

juanpablo

Banned
Is it a moral obligation? Why waste valuable hours of your life watching something clearly not as enjoyable?

It's just a question. Like I said, In Ireland people will come with all sorts of excuse's for not supporting an LoI team. I wonder if its similar in other countries where the EPL is also popular.

For us it's a little different because we haven't won a trophy in 9000 years. Though I'd still rather get top 4 than win a mickey mouse league cup.

CL qualification is much more rewarding than winning the Capital One Cup.

If there's a club in the world who shouldn't turn their noses up at the Carling Cup, its you.

Salvadora

There has certainly been a massive devaluing of the FA and League Cups over the last ten years. Champions League qualification is seen as the holy grail and managers would field weakened sides if it meant they were better prepared for league games.

As Arnie said, there is a special buzz around your team if you get into the latter stages of a cup competition ,but, ultimately there is a greater reward for CL qualification than cup success.
For a club of Arsenal's calibre, Champions League qualification should never be 'enough'.

Do you think we should go after another winger if Nani leaves?

Or should we focus on other areas like our midfield and defence? I'd like to see us finally get a top quality CM but I can see SAF going after a more attacking player like James or Isco.
I think if he leaves we should get one.

I would still rather a CM than a winger, but assuming Nani leaves we should use whatever money we get from him to buy another winger, and use the budget set aside for a CM.

We would have Valencia and Young, and then the likes of Rooney, Welbeck and Kagawa who CAN operate from wide areas, but I would still like another out and out winger or at least somebody with raw pace. We need to rely less on width, for sure, but in the PL and especially at Old Trafford, pace kills teams. This isn't a technical league, pace in attack gets goals and it's also worth having players who can get beyond defences in wide areas.

kharma45

Is there much cross-community support for Derry City? I presume there isn't for historical reasons but a friend of mine who went up there says there is?

I honestly haven't a clue, know a few boys who'd tick the Protestant option on the equal opportunities forms who went to watch them, at least when we were at school any way, but I don't know if they were the exception to the rule or what have you.

It's only a guess but I'd imagine you'd get more Protestants watching Derry City than Catholics at Institute, but that's just my opinion, I've no actual basis for that claim.

Arnie

Thinking back, the Carling Cup run was so fucking good, that night at Anfield against City was electrifying. It was the night after my last January exam, the atmosphere was top, I was in the centre of the Kop, and it ended with Kenny crying as we were headed to Wembley once more. That might sound pathetic, make all the jokes you want, but that's how football was even if it's not how it is now. For a few old timers in the Kop, seeing Kenny take us back to Wembley was more important and enjoyable than any league position or financial imperative, I'm sure.

Meier

This loyalty to your local club is a British thing innit? I'm not going to force myself on a club because I'm geographically bound to it. There are no rules or taboos when it comes to sports, support whoever the fuck you enjoy watching.

Unless it's Inter, it's frowned upon.

It's definitely an American thing too. I think it's a little embarrassing rooting for a top team unless you live in the city itself, your local team didn't exist when you started following the sport or unless your parents loved the team and passed it on.

For a club of Arsenal's calibre, Champions League qualification should never be 'enough'.

Not entirely agreed tbf. Calibre has nothing to do with it really, its the current situation the club is in that you should look to when figuring out what your season's aims should be. For a team of Liverpool's current standing, CL qualification would be a huge achievement, and something for us to celebrate.

I would agree though that Arsenal, being established CL qualifiers, should be looking at qualification and decent runs in the CL, FA Cup and League Cup by now. Getting knocked out early and scraping fourth is not completely satisfying I'd imagine.

Still can't believe how badly things went wrong in 09/10, and last season

Top Bottom