• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Kyoufu

Haha I remember that, Villa wasn't it? Joey Barton <3

Yup. We had some other 4+ goal games also. Last season we failed to score more than 3 in a any single game and this season looks more of the same. :(

We played really good football last season too, but we had less goals. I don't understand football.

Clegg

It's depressing that we can't score more than 2-3 goals in a PL game. When we had Nolan and Carroll we were thumping some teams by up to 6 goals. Not sure what happened.

If you could find a system to accommodate Ba and Cisse effectively then you'd bang in a fair few goals.

I get by following two leagues and supporting teams just fine. It's funny how much Feyenoord and Arsenal look alike. Both used to be at the top of the league some five years ago but dropped in quality over the following years, both have bought a striker who's not scoring goals, midfield is the best aspect of both teams, both teams have a thing for losing to the worst teams in the league and both have young goalkeepers and the first goalkeeper happens to be injured.

And and empty prize cabinet

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not supporting the Greek league, for the shit hole it is, corruption around every corner. Even with leaked tapes and everything, the football organization refuses to sanction the right clubs or at least punish the referees.

I also refuse to go to Panathinaikos matches when I'm in Greece because of the new owner and him playing dumb dumb and ignoring offers for the club; and purposely blocking the sale of the club; so that the oldies can feel secure about their wages while they do nothing to help the club.

I wouldn't want to support my league if it had corruption or match fixing.

Kyoufu

If you could find a system to accommodate Ba and Cisse effectively then you'd band in a fair few goals.

I think we've tried it all and it just doesn't work. Hasn't worked on an international level either. Those two aren't the combo we were looking for :(

However, they're still individually fantastic strikers so it's good to have one of them playing in our cup games. I expect Cisse to start tonight and get a goal or two.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What do you know about the LOI?

Not much but I know what supporting my local team is like.

There was a poster here months ago talking about his club which was in a really low divisions of England and it was fascinating seeing someone post about it. I like reading about all kinds of leagues around the world.

Yen

"This season they have had a problematic start, but this is a huge institution - it will always recover. Liverpool will always resurrect and come up to the top, where they belong."

dat Hiddink

Slizz

Lyon vs. Bilbao and Liverpool vs. Anzhi. Shall be watching those 2 today unless the lol's are coming from a different game.

Messi

Not much but I know what supporting my local team is like.

There was a poster here months ago talking about his club which was in a really low divisions of England and it was fascinating seeing someone post about it. I like reading about all kinds of leagues around the world.

TheWednesday

3Sixty

I couldn't imagine not supporting Southampton.

Everytime i see a kid in a United/Chelsea/Arsenal shirt round here i die a little inside.

Wenger told the Arsenal AGM City offered RVP 300k per week.

robin_vanpersie_2312923b.jpg

The whole appeal of supporting a local side is that you're supporting players of your local community and club that is visibly active within it etc. But in reality clubs aren't that active in local areas and most players are from elsewhere so you cant relate with them either. I'd wager most people don't know who their neighbour is nowadays so sitting in the terrace at your local would feel no more comfortable than going elsewhere. I imagine there is no real sense of 'community' in largely populated urban towns. You have no real attachment.

A Local club is meant to signify something more than just mere proximity.

juanpablo

Banned
Some people will always create excuses for not supporting their local league. You can't do anything about it juanpablo.

Spot on sazabirules, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to support your local team, but when mental gymnastics are used to justify NOT supporting your local team in favour of following a foreign team, then well....

No, I don't watch League of Ireland football anymore. The league is ignored because it isn't marketed. The FAI don't care about it. If they did they'd put more effort in developing the game at grassroots level and investing in facilities.

There was a massive marketing push a few years ago when all the big teams went pro. Nothing changed. It's culture that has to change, most Irish 'football fans' don't care about their local team, they don't know what it's like to follow their team home and away and through thick and thin. That's what supporting a team is about, watching some foreign team on TV will never be the same.

Most Irishpeople watch the Premier League because it's more enjoyable than going to a delapidated stadium to watch sub standard football.

Like I said, these are just excuse's used by Irish people. Some LoI stadiums are dumps, others aren't but I doubt the addition of a few corporate seats would change much (although they're being introduced at Cork City next year I hear).

Funnily enough my UK relative's LOVE coming over to LoI game's, they like the old skool vibes LoI games have in comparison to the rather sanitised all-seater stadia stadia in England have become.

And TV coverage for Irish football is a joke. A couple of matches a week if you're lucky and a highlights show on a Monday night.

Seems alright to me, sounds like you've just watched too much Sky sports tbh. Y'know you could just GO to a game right? rather then watching it on TV?

I do support my local team. They're called Leinster and I go to as many matches as I can. So do many more people as the games are actually advertised.

Ah yes, Leinster, an artificial entity created to compete with club teams from other countries. No doubt you'd want to do something equally hideous to Irish club football. No thanks!

Clegg

I suppose my local team would be UCD.

I only live down the road from the Uni and thats where I go to study anyway.

But the major problem is the disconnect between the team and the local area. It's hard to support a university team as people don't really see them as local, for whatever reasons.

We're also in the heartland of Irish rugby so thats a second disadvantage for the local semi-professional soccer team.

Yen

Most of our teams would struggle in that :lol

The league coefficient ranking has Ireland at 36/53 and Northern Ireland at 47/53. Georgia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Azerbaijan are all ahead of the Repbulic lol. Liechtenstein and Luxembourg are ahead of the North.

Salvadora

I think as I've mentioned before, I live very close to Crusaders. You wouldn't catch me going down there though considering the sectarianism.

Yen

The whole appeal of supporting a local side is that you're supporting players of your local community and club that is visibly active within it etc. But in reality clubs aren't that active in local areas and most players are from elsewhere so you cant relate with them either. I'd wager most people don't know who their neighbour is nowadays so sitting in the terrace at your local would feel no more comfortable than going elsewhere. I imagine there is no real sense of 'community' in largely populated urban towns. You have no real attachment.

A Local club is meant to signify something more than just mere proximity.

Community aspect is why Gaelic Football (at club level, nevermind county level) thrives.

On Sports Day in secondary school, we'd be taken to an athletic track which had enough seats to house quite a few people. Sometimes there would be another local school there that we'd compete against, and on those occasions, class mates (doesn't matter whether you were the popular one or the silent one) would cheer for each other and celebrate with one another. That was a community.

kharma45

The league coefficient ranking has Ireland at 36/53 and Northern Ireland at 47/53. Georgia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Azerbaijan are all ahead of the Repbulic lol. Liechtenstein and Luxembourg are ahead of the North.

That's fucking embarrassing :lol

juanpablo

Banned
I couldn't imagine not supporting Southampton.

Everytime i see a kid in a United/Chelsea/Arsenal shirt round here i die a little inside.

Always amazes when I'm in Brum, I see and meet plenty of Man Utd and Liverpool supporters. Brummie Reds I think they're called? I've a bluenose family member who has some 'interesting' stories about the treatment meted out to them at B'ham and Villa games in decades gone by. These stories would involve bags of shit being thrown at them!

What do you know about the LOI?

What do you know about the LoI?

Clegg

Ah yes, Leinster, an artificial entity created to compete with club teams from other countries. No doubt you'd want to do something equally hideous to Irish club football. No thanks!
So?

They're my local team. I live down the road from the RDS where they play their home matches. Their players train at my Uni and hold open training sessions for kids to come watch them.

When I was in primary school we used to have Leinster coaches come in once a month to coach us. Thats what a local team should be like.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This loyalty to your local club is a British thing innit? I'm not going to force myself on a club because I'm geographically bound to it. There are no rules or taboos when it comes to sports, support whoever the fuck you enjoy watching.

Unless it's Inter, it's frowned upon.

juanpablo

Banned
That's fucking embarrassing :lol

To think, Shelbourne were only 45 mins away and extratime/penalty shootout from qualifying for the CL proper a few years ago. I say qualifying, they held Deportivo la Coruna 0-0 at home and 0-0 to halftime at the Riazor before Depor scored 3 goals in second half.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Ah yes, Leinster, an artificial entity created to compete with club teams from other countries.
Woah!!! Slow down fella.

I think you are mixing up what happened to Welsh rugby, with Irish Provincial rugby which has a long history. Never mind that the provinces themselves are ancient kingdoms.

juanpablo

Banned
So?

They're my local team. I live down the road from the RDS where they play their home matches. Their players train at my Uni and hold open training sessions for kids to come watch them.

When I was in primary school we used to have Leinster coaches come in once a month to coach us. Thats what a local team should be like.

I presume that uni you mention is UCD?

kharma45

To think, Shelbourne were only 45 mins away and extratime/penalty shootout from qualifying for the CL proper a few years ago. I say qualifying, they held Deportivo la Coruna 0-0 at home and 0-0 to halftime at the Riazor before Depor scored 3 goals in second half.

Derry City made a decent shot at the Uefa Cup as it was then against PSG a good few years ago holding them 0-0 at the Brandywell, but these are just rare exceptions.

Football in Ireland will always struggle as it's competing with GAA, hurling and rugby.

Wilbur

Banned
This loyalty to your local club is a British thing innit? I'm not going to force myself on a club because I'm geographically bound to it. There's no rules or taboos when it comes to sports, support whoever the fuck you enjoy watching.

Unless it's Inter, it's frowned upon.

Yeah. First time I was old enough to make my own decisions and opinions about things, watched football because I was the only one in my immediate family into it. Everyone in Ireland supported Man Utd or Liverpool, everyone in Newcastle supported them (apart from an uncle who supported Sunderland because a Newcastle fan pushed him off a wall once), so it was really up to me to decide who. I really liked Cole and Yorke, so started watching United. C'est la vie.

elsk

Banned
I support my local club and I quite like it because they use local players, unlike other teams in the league. But I stopped going to the stadium a few years ago, the whole leagues is going to the shit because they don't want to invest in stadiums, training grounds, etc. And still they have the balls to pay 10,000$USD salaries to foreign veteran shit players and keep saying that the fans are killing the local league. Fuck them

Clegg

I presume that uni you mention is UCD?

Yes.

This is what I posted earlier

I suppose my local team would be UCD.

I only live down the road from the Uni and thats where I go to study anyway.

But the major problem is the disconnect between the team and the local area. It's hard to support a university team as people don't really see them as local, for whatever reasons.

We're also in the heartland of Irish rugby so thats a second disadvantage for the local semi-professional soccer team.

juanpablo

Banned
Woah!!! Slow down fella.

I think you are mixing up what happened to Welsh rugby, with Irish Provincial rugby which has a long history. Never mind that the provinces themselves are ancient kingdoms.

Nah not really. Yeah the provinces were representative sides which played the odd game here or there. But it's only when the IRFU clicked that club teams were too weak to compete that they directed all the money and turned the provinces, hitherto representative teams, into frankenstein club teams. It's not something I'd like to see replicated for Irish club football and I can definitely understand the frustration of English and French rugby clubs having to compete with these bizarre entities.

juanpablo

Banned
Yes.

This is what I posted earlier

UCD bowl is a nice little ground and UCD always have play 'the right way'. You should try watching them if the other Dublin clubs are a little too rough for you southside boy. Sad to think that Dublins southside was the spiritual home of Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne.

Salvadora

Arsene Wenger believes Champions League qualification has as much merit attached to it as winning a domestic cup competition.

"For me, there are five 'trophies'," says Wenger, speaking at the club's AGM today. "The first is to win the Premier League, the second is to win the Champions League, the third is to qualify for the Champions League, the fourth is to win the FA Cup and the fifth is to win the League Cup."

Wenger has not won a trophy with Arsenal since 2005, when they beat Manchester United in the FA Cup final.
Christ.

Slizz

Semi-Pro all local talent clubs?

Sup bitches?

logo__LRG_MU.png

Apparently I'm getting a semi-pro team but I'm not too sure about this one.....

http://miamiunitedsoccer.com/

It's just getting started and is a super ambitious project and from the site it just doesn't seem like they are realistic.

Clegg

Those same English and French clubs have playing numbers that Ireland can only dream about. What the IRFU have done is to simply level the playing field.

And lets not forget that one of the big French clubs have the same budget as all four provinces combined.

juanpablo

Banned
IN Norway, while the Norwegian football is terrible, and yet EPL is still popular, a fair amount of supporters do go to the games and happen to support their local teams.

Do people use all sorts of bizarre and wacky explanations not to follow their local teams in Norway faridmon?

Salvadora

John Cross &#8207;@johncrossmirror

Another AST member Nigel Phillips questioning the club/RvP ambition. This is by far and away the ugliest, rowdiest AGM I've attended.

Rob Harris &#8207;@RobHarris

Arsenal fans raises unhappiness to Gazidis that it costs £13.90 for fish & chips at Emirates. #AGM

James Olley &#8207;@JamesOlley

Wenger: "I used to say to the players our job is not to talk but to produce performances so I am not very comfortable today to speak to you"

PHW says he doesn&#8217;t know if Red and White have been in touch lately or not. Heckles from floor: "What are you paid for then?"

Kroenke says he has spoken to fan groups. He&#8217;s asked to name them. He can&#8217;t. #afc

Highbury Harold &#8207;@BlackScarfAFC

Hill-Wood again being rude about the club's supporters. Nothing changes.

David Ornstein &#8207;@bbcsport_david

Kroenke: "We [KSE] have record in sports round world. We've never put any debt on this club. We've never said money is not to be spent" #afc
Doesn't sound like it was too friendly today, and with good reason.

operon

It's true.

Maybe CL qualification isn't as highly regarded for you since you've been in it for a long time but to the rest of us, we'd freak the hell out if we qualified.

Yeah, but to call it a trophy, next thing he'll be counting his winning the toss, or the emirate cup ffs

juanpablo

Banned
Those same English and French clubs have playing numbers that Ireland can only dream about. What the IRFU have done is to simply level the playing field.

And lets not forget that one of the big French clubs have the same budget as all four provinces combined.

Yeah but that's just a question of scale and demographics isn't it? my team Cork City, run by a supporters trust, will never have the kind of membership the German clubs have, but it doesn't mean we should just give up and never try now does it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjsDNJAn2U

Top Bottom